If it were possible, would you be in favor of a PVP option that would lock out 5 star characters?

jtsings
jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Basically, only 1*-4* would be able to be used; with a separate PVP that allows you to use any star character.  Feel free to discuss why it is you'd think it would be good or bad.

If it were possible, would you be in favor of a PVP option that would lock out 5 star characters? 149 votes

Yes
55%
Dragon_NexusKolencesinnerjflColognoisseurtrat73Bryan Lambertbuddy2034janderlickhimatakoAardvarkPeppermoss04NabistayejmusSymmeTreysteakleatherBlindman13jackstar0Nick441234Malcrofhalirin 83 votes
No
28%
DormammuSpoitWonko33killercoolChrono_TataJexmanwymtimeDartmaster01whitecat31LystrataswordfishdataTrilateralusrdvargas1MoosePrimePolarPopBearprofessorplum9ArticyularJackDeath666Dee Ritchevade420 42 votes
Unsure
7%
rixmithIridiousUNC_SamuraiSTOPTHISHistamielThaRoadWarriorPyram7Ares76bundles87DrlexEd_Dragonrider 11 votes
Other
4%
PhumadetiomonoTwomp_thaDJTony_FootWelcomeDeathabenness 6 votes
I don't play PVP
4%
abmorazdgt73sambrookjmStraycatPolly_P1skittledaddyMrEd95 7 votes

Comments

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes
    Yeah, I would. It would mean that I could level up my 5s so I can use them more in pve and not have to worry about screwing up my pvp experience. Honestly surprised that they haven't tried something like this to see if it would be popular.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, I like this. However, I don't want another separate PvP just for players who want to use any tier of characters. Just make all PvP become Balance of Power and you don't have to worry about meeting overpowered character because everyone will be at level 550.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    No
    @jtsings let’s see your roster. I’m a bit suspicious of your “very useful 5*” experience when you started a thread asking if you should level 12 cover Okoye 2 weeks ago
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    No
    I don’t have 5*’s champed yet and still voted no. I sure as hell don’t want all PvP to be balance of power either, that sounds absolutely horrendous.
  • Drlex
    Drlex Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Unsure
    Unsure, because I have the 5*s needed, and would likely stay there. I might want to occasionally branch out for fun, so I am partially on board. However, I wonder if splitting PVP would actually decrease the number of people playing.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes
    I don’t have 5*’s champed yet and still voted no. I sure as hell don’t want all PvP to be balance of power either, that sounds absolutely horrendous.
    I hate Balance of Power. Even the seed teams are a pain to beat.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    I hate Balance of Power. Even the seed teams are a pain to beat.
    i'd probably stop playing pvp. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes
    As long as we can use boosted 4*s, sure.
    I've got darn near all of the 4*s and pretty much all of them post vault are utter mysteries to me with weird and wonderful powers that I don't know how they work. Not like the old days when I knew them all intimately because I used them a lot.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes
    I'm not in the 5* tier yet and only have one 5* that's at 13 covers, but I haven't put a single ISO into any of them as I don't want to risk ruining PvP.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes
    Definitely. I'd love for 4* characters to matter. Even when boosted, new characters pale in comparison to decent 5*s.

I also think it would be neat if they could level the playing field somehow, whether it's a boost for all 4's, or an "unboost" to 5's, so they're on a similar playing field, so you could run Parker/Miles/Gwen or Okoye/Panther/Shuri (with either 4/5 Panther) or Thor/Hulk/Valkyrie or whatever, and have teams that feel like three equal members, instead of a 5 that greatly outclasses the 4's.

Sometimes I want to take my Thor and beat people over the head with him because he's great. Or Gambit back when it was his heyday. I'm sure I'll feel this way whenever the next meta character comes along and I manage to acquire them (I even enjoy using my Okoye though she's been stuck at 2/2/8 for months).

Other times I'd like to play characters I enjoy and not be heavily bound by what star-level they've been given. Maybe I want to build interesting teams and not be restricted to the dozen plus 5* champs I have (I use Panthos entirely too much, because it fits my playstyle to maximize rewards for PVP, but it sure isn't always FUN). Maybe I just want a chance to get to play Spidey more often because he's one of my favorites.

Call it a "challenge mode", play with restrictions for a chance at better rewards, even add in some other challenges beyond "no 5's" or whatever (I'd like to see more of the Crash of the Mad Titan or 12 Days restrictions, like "for this event you must field a team of Avengers" or "this event requires you to use both X-Men and Guardians members on a team" or something). Hell, it doesn't even have to be PVP based, though such an option would increase the variety of opponents (where limiting the usable characters in PVE leaves you with the exact same opponents).

You don't want to completely deprive people of the 5*s they've worked hard to obtain, or make them irrelevant, or whatever, but it would be nice for the 4's to matter more than being just a cog in the reward farm. I'd like to play with Domino and Prowler and Bishop, instead of farming BH to champ them so I can convert all future covers into rewards to ultimately get more 5's. 4's need some value so new character releases aren't just slight increases to the drip-feed of rewards for higher players.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    No
    While I couldn't agree more that something should be done to involve more of a persons roster I don't believe this is the solution. It seems like a step backwards (to a time when 5* didn't exist). The 5* tier is getting big enough I'd like to see steps taken that would encourage more use of different characters within this tier rather than reduce usage of this tier altogether.
  • dgt73
    dgt73 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    I don't play PVP
    I only very rarely do PvP, usually just the PvE grind does me.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other
    Allow max of one five star. It would open up a world of use for both the fives we have and working out good fours to go with them.
  • Farmerbink
    Farmerbink Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Yes
    At the very least, we should see the occasional off-season event where the other tiers are forced to come into play.  I think Tony_Foot basically suggested a 3-4-5 combined forces, though he may not have gotten that far, and I think it would be a neat thought.  At the very least, it would really shake up the combos of the typical CF event, and shaking up combos is exactly what makes this game interesting, long term.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes
    Yes. Variety is a good thing. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

There's a certain irony in saying "Variety is a good thing, so please restrict the possible choices". Just an observation.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes
    Quebbster said:

There's a certain irony in saying "Variety is a good thing, so please restrict the possible choices". Just an observation.
    I mean in the sense that you can choose to lock them out or keep them in. 

If you're in 5* land now, there is no variety at all. You use the 5*s or you get beat. 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes
    I'd be down with this just as an option.  Not something to always take over PvP...

Could always run two PvPs side-by-side... one with restrictions like this, and the normal one we're used to.

As was mentioned earlier, variety is always good.  Give us a different PvP option, but leave the current in place for those who dont want to budge.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Unsure
    I like the idea of a 5-4-3 offseason Combined Arms (at least for higher SCLs, Lower ones might still need to be 4-3-2).

I would be happy to try an offseason 4* and lower event. 

I'm not sure whether fragmenting the player base between two concurrent PVP variants would be good or bad. 

So I wouldn't object to trying it, or to maybe have an occasional PVP that was that format, just like we have occasional 4* required characters in PVP. But I'm not convinced it would be good to make that the standard for all PVPs.