Thinking of Quitting MPQ

Options
2»

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There’s no way to become a casual player

I dunno, I’m kind of a casual player now. I barely play pvp and I run half health Thor for mindless wins until I hit progression. I mostly play on my exercise bike. 
    I was talking about it in another thread; it def feels about time they change something again. Saved covers are super generous so maybe they feel they’ve done enough tho
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Day 1692. Like many players, I've been through various phases. I played mostly FTP at first. Reached a point where I had almost all 3*'s maxed (pre-champing) and didn't have any way to acquire 4*'s so I quit for a few months.

Came back after champing and it felt like a whole new, much more fun game then. Started spending some money and getting more competitive in PVE. Moved to more competitive alliance and eventually got into the 5* game, maybe 6 - 9 months after many players. So I have a number of early-ish 5*'s with limited covers (Oct, Goblin, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Cap, Widow). Then got caught up to the 5* treadmill and have stayed current with them. Switched from buying occasional Starks to VIP.  Became Post-ISO around the end of June. 

Kept my VIP going through the anniversary, thinking something new and cool might come along and revitalize things. Loved the untimed PVE and thought that might a big new thing, but it looks like maybe it was a one shot.

At this point I can pretty easily get Top 50 in PVE and reach 1000 in PVP, which keeps me about HP neutral or a little better. If there is a good change to the game (achievements or a PVE or mode that makes it worthwhile to use more of my roster, for example) then I'll reward the company by spending again. 

But I think that VIP should be paying for constant incremental improvements (new PVEs, character rebalances, QOL improvements) versus HP purchases paying for new character development or things to buy like costumes. Unfortunately we see very little of what I think VIP should be funding, so it is kind of hard for me to be excited about paying for it.

I think we all have a bit of ebb and flow to our enthusiasm. Hopefully some new things will come on line to increase enthusiasm for everyone,. 
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been playing for all but three months of the game. There's aspects I still enjoy, but the 5* meta is super boring right now. Okoye/Thor. I feel it's even more boring than Gambit's hayday, and with no end in sight. None of the current 5*s are going to change the meta.

With that said, I've been playing more minimally the last year or so. PVP takes me less than an hour to do progression. Then I do DDQ. If I'm bored, I was doing some PVE for CP.

But I've been looking for other games to fill the boredom. Strike Force seemed promising, but got boring pretty quickly. Endless grinding, and the matches aren't a ton of strategy. Kill the biggest threat. Spend weeks trying to upgrade your team marginally, or months to bring a new team to a usable state. So I quit that.

I've found a LOT more strategy in a new game, Marvel Battle Lines. A cross between chess, tic-tac-toe, and Hearthstone. I'm enjoying it a ton so far even though I'm only two weeks in. Even when running the exact same teams over and over, there's still the strategy component. So I'll see how long it lasts.

I still play MPQ, mainly because I really want a champed Kitty, as I love tile buffing shenanigans. We'll see what happens after that. I might switch to pulling Classics and then just wait to see if anything great comes up in the future.

But I think it's unrealistic to think this game will ever grow or improve in meaningful ways again. Even if they went back to creating great content, dilution will always be a drag. It's had a a great 5 year run, which is amazing for a mobile game, but is on the tail end of it's shelf-life. And I'm ok with that.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As a not-remotely-competitive player (the 8CP in PVE, 100-300 in PVP and Round 4-5, at best, in boss events), I’ve been playing a lot less lately as well.  For me, the 4* dilution in tokens is just a killer.  Back before vaulting, the same thing happened for me—my 4* progress was totally stalled with no end in sight.  Vaulting combined with HfH basically renewed my interest in the game and now I have 30+ 4* champs (compared to only 3 pre-vaulting) even though my total roster is only 125.  

Now my first 3*’s are just hitting 266, but none of my 4*’s, save Devil Dino, are above 280 I’m in a sweet spot where both my 3*’s and 4*’s (a significant majority of my roster) are still very playable but the newer 4*’s are languishing uselessly at 1-7 covers.  Even though it’s a horribly inefficient use of CP, I used the 120CP deal to champ Ghost, Jubilee, Kraven and Red Hulk, but my next best non champed 4*’s (Widow & Nebula) are nowhere close to 13 covers and my next best, Emma Frost, is only at 5.  I haven’t even bothered rostering many of the more recent releases, save Domino and Dazzler, as it just seems like a waste of a roster spot for someone i’ll literally never use outside of essential nodes.

The thought of farming 3*’s holds no appeal, so unless something changes in cover availability, I see myself slowly checking out of the game.  It’s been a good run, so I can’t really complain, but it’s disappointing that there’s no more excitement about new characters for me anymore.  For all intents and purposes, they’re unavailable for me unless i’m willing to devote way more of my time than I currently am to the game.  As others have said, at worst, it’s been a good run...
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee said:

But I think it's unrealistic to think this game will ever grow or improve in meaningful ways again. Even if they went back to creating great content, dilution will always be a drag. It's had a a great 5 year run, which is amazing for a mobile game, but is on the tail end of it's shelf-life. And I'm ok with that.
    Totally agree, the games on tick over for me. I've got to the end game to be fair, not one part of the game is a challenge or requires any or much thinking. I can't see it's worth the effort from the developers at the 5 year mark to re-work the game to put any challenge back in for the upper tier players or do anything much other than add 4 stars until the game dies.

I would love them to remove an easy node or three and add one node that added that 25 levels per node clear that would go on for as long as you could or was willing to devastate your roster. Actually add some thinking and separate the scores for those that are willing and able.

As you said I've had a great run and if they actually added a challenge to the game now people would likely complain as they are so used to playing without thinking.

I do miss the crash challenge and Boss events when my roster made them more than a turn up and win.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It would be so great to have a dev come here and explain where the game is going, why they're not going to do things that vets want, etc. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I honestly believe you have more chance of seeing a unicorn.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jexman said:
    It would be so great to have a dev come here and explain where the game is going, why they're not going to do things that vets want, etc. 
    What are they going to say?
    "We're shutting down within the next 18 months, trying to extract as much money as possible before that."?
    Some things you can't spin.
  • Jexman
    Options
    I know, but it's a thin hope in light of a preponderance of evidence that the devs would rather lose the vets and get new people who will be happier with the ludicrous number of 4*s without pushing for any changes. Don't change the game, change the players, in other words.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jexman said:
    I know, but it's a thin hope in light of a preponderance of evidence that the devs would rather lose the vets and get new people who will be happier with the ludicrous number of 4*s without pushing for any changes. Don't change the game, change the players, in other words.
    It'd be near impossible to get a mass influx of new players for a game this old. There's no momentum. Even if they did an advertising blitz like it was a brand new game, new players would start and figure out the hill is to big to climb within the first two weeks. Sure, some would stick, but not the masses. Too much dilution to see any meaningful progress. You need the F2P players to tell all their friends, but no one's going to do that with the HP block needed for roster slots.

If you eliminated roster slot costs, magically solved dilution, and somehow made 5*s look attainable to mid level players, MAYBE you could get a small influx of new players.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The devs mentioned it somewhere before but many have short-term memories here.

One of the thing they mentioned when Support feature was introduced is:

This is a big change to the game, and it's possible that it could result in changes to the character schedule down the line. We're not in danger of running out of awesome Marvel characters any time soon, but part of what motivated this feature was thinking about what would let us continue to add exciting new things to the game for many years.

There won't be 6* unless the majority of the players in MPQ changed their mind.

Interpret whatever way you want to.

Brigby mentioned in another thread why suggestions by the players might not be implemented (yet). This could be due to processes like approval, concept design, bug testing etc. 

Most of the suggested requested in here can be summarised as:

More rewards earned, less time spent on the game and less effort needed for the game.

1) Make all 5* and new 5* have feeders immediately. Make each 5* have double feeders.
    2) Make PvE progression only and move placement rewards to progression.
    3) Guaranteed 5* cover by the 7th pull or Xth pull.
    4) Make roster slot cheaper. 
    5) Being able to earn Master Tokens with increased odds for Rank 5 perks. Anything less than Rank 4 are (likely to be) useless?
    6) Easier way to pull classic 5*. Maybe create a new store that has 5* only?
    7) More 4* covers that can earned without playing for placement.
    8) 5* covers in placement or progression.
    9) Increased odds for 4*, 5* and Bonus heroes

Let's be realistic, if the devs were to implement these suggestions, they will likely see their revenues and profits slashed by 30%-50% every year. But many don't care.The only thing many in here care is "When is the devs going to implement all my suggestion(s)?"

• Jexman
    Options
    As a 5+ year vet obv. in the 5* game now, my main desire is to have some reason to justify having such a large number of 4* in the game (and thus on my roster). The balance is out of whack, and it makes progress in the game feel wasted in a way it never did before the 4* bloat.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options

Let's be realistic, if the devs were to implement these suggestions, they will likely see their revenues and profits slashed by 30%-50% every year. But many don't care.The only thing many in here care is "When is the devs going to implement all my suggestion(s)?"
    why should they care? 

a bazillion games to play, a million match 3 games.

i don't care about revenue, profit and devs. i just want a brain dead match 3 game. turn off mpqs servers, you find yourself a new game in no time. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've generally played the game with goals. Like, level up all my 3*s. Champ all my 3*s. Get as many good 4*s champed. Now get all the 4*s champed.

Currently I'm in 5* land and I want to champ as many 5*s as possible. And therein lies the brick wall. It's all RNG based. My progress in 5* land is entirely up to the machinations of fate. At least with 4*s I have a good chance of getting one from a legendary, I can get one cover every few days from PvP and another from PvE.

But 5*s are just impossible to predict. I'm sat on nearly 400k ISO and nothing to spend it on. I WANT to get Loki, Cable and Kitty Pride going, but the flow of 5*s is so slow right now. I was a bit lucky in that the last two 5*s gave me a bonus, but that only really felt like it made up for the 15-20 4*s I got in a row. I'm still 2 covers short for Loki and 4 covers each short for Cable and Kitty.

So I play PvE and PvP just grinding for CP, really. Hoping the next legendary I open grants me some progress.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The devs mentioned it somewhere before but many have short-term memories here.

One of the thing they mentioned when Support feature was introduced is:

This is a big change to the game, and it's possible that it could result in changes to the character schedule down the line. We're not in danger of running out of awesome Marvel characters any time soon, but part of what motivated this feature was thinking about what would let us continue to add exciting new things to the game for many years.

There won't be 6* unless the majority of the players in MPQ changed their mind.

Interpret whatever way you want to.

Brigby mentioned in another thread why suggestions by the players might not be implemented (yet). This could be due to processes like approval, concept design, bug testing etc. 

Most of the suggested requested in here can be summarised as:

More rewards earned, less time spent on the game and less effort needed for the game.

1) Make all 5* and new 5* have feeders immediately. Make each 5* have double feeders.
    2) Make PvE progression only and move placement rewards to progression.
    3) Guaranteed 5* cover by the 7th pull or Xth pull.
    4) Make roster slot cheaper. 
    5) Being able to earn Master Tokens with increased odds for Rank 5 perks. Anything less than Rank 4 are (likely to be) useless?
    6) Easier way to pull classic 5*. Maybe create a new store that has 5* only?
    7) More 4* covers that can earned without playing for placement.
    8) 5* covers in placement or progression.
    9) Increased odds for 4*, 5* and Bonus heroes

Then what's the point of the devs putting out surveys and asking for suggestions on making the game better if they have no desire to implement any of those changes? And of course people will want to see their suggestions implemented. It feels good to know that people value your input and that you helped to change the game a bit. Hell I quit the game earlier this year but it was hybrid pvp, something that I was very vocal about, that got me to come back.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I can usually get top 50 in CL8 PvE if I push, and I'm happy with that, but I don't have the time or the inclination to play for a higher placement than that. Recently I've decided to only play PvE until I get the top CP reward and then stop.

Similarly, I play PvP until I get the 10CP at 575, and then call it a day. I have no idea how people regularly get to 1200, since my highest ever PvP score is 911. I'm quite happy playing for the CPs, and using those to improve my roster slowly. Since I don't have thousands of pounds of disposable income to devote to MPQ, and an infinite amount of free time, I won't ever be one of the top players, and I'm happy with that.
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I quit cold for a year. I came back and chose not to play competitively. Competition seems to be one of the main causes for burnout and player hemorrhage. The game is its own worst enemy... well, that's not true as Marvel Battle Lines seems like it'll be a contender, and might drink MPQ's competitive milkshake. I think MPQ needs to innovate and expand their base through their unique feature, Story (PvE). But also don't ignore innovations in Versus, as this is the feature where your current player base is accustomed.

Honest questions, are there any players who are all-up-on PvE competition, who would quit if the competitive element there was removed (or drastically altered)?
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I quit cold for a year. I came back and chose not to play competitively. Competition seems to be one of the main causes for burnout and player hemorrhage. The game is its own worst enemy... well, that's not true as Marvel Battle Lines seems like it'll be a contender, and might drink MPQ's competitive milkshake. I think MPQ needs to innovate and expand their base through their unique feature, Story (PvE). But also don't ignore innovations in Versus, as this is the feature where your current player base is accustomed.

Honest questions, are there any players who are all-up-on PvE competition, who would quit if the competitive element there was removed (or drastically altered)?
    For my part, I just want the best rewards I can earn (given my roster, the time I care to spend on the game, and my schedule which may or may not allow playing at particular times of the day repeatedly).  If placement rewards for PvE were removed entirely, I would not regard it as much of a detriment except for the loss of top 50 individual / top 100 alliance.  If those losses were made up for by progression rewards, though, I'd be all for such a change.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments on the original discussion topic. Thank you!

If you wish to talk about what kind of commentary is considered complaining, as opposed to being constructive criticism, then please continue that conversation in the Constructive Criticism vs Complaining thread.

If you wish to talk about what kind of improvements could be made to story events, then please continue that conversation in the Improvement to Story Event thread.