the 3* dupe farm blues

dramatist
dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
I finally finished max champing Colossus yesterday with covers from EotS. He was one of the last original 3*s that I hadn't max champed. I have started a dupe. I do this with all my 3*s. Since saved covers became a reality I haven't sold a 3* max champ but before that I sold about 13 of them.

When making the dupe I started thinking about now the good rewards are again far away. The next 69 covers I get for 3* Colossus, the rewards will suck. I will pay the Iso fee to rechamp and I get one Legendary token, 1 4* cover and 12 cp. The Iso, HP and Heroic tokens are not exciting anymore. When a 3* champ finally makes it to 223 the final 44 rewards are much better with 4 Legendarys, 2 4* covers and 38 cp.

So now I realize that for as long as I continue to play MPQ about 2/3 of my 3* champs will be giving the bad rewards. This is giving me the blues.

Comments

• Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Think about it this way.. you are moving up in the game... the 3* are now a farm like your 2*... and your interest is moving up to 5s... it’s a good thing!  As you do that, you will get more covers, so that period of getting junk will be shorter...

Also... save covers.... don’t spend the iso on one unless you have xx (50?) covers....
    the., when you do champ #2... you get a pile of stuff (a lot, but not great) and are only a short distance away from your great stuff.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    In my opinion, the real problem with the 3* farm is the number of roster slots it requires to cultivate it.

Hilk said:
    Also... save covers.... don’t spend the iso on one unless you have xx (50?) covers....
    the., when you do champ #2... you get a pile of stuff (a lot, but not great) and are only a short distance away from your great stuff.
    So this is what I'm doing, basically. Still takes a buttload of slots...
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    My current 3-star Bonus hero is Doc Ock.  He's my bonus hero because I'm trying to get his dupe to 13 covers.  Once he hits that, I just go ahead and sell the 266 one, since I'm not that big into PvP anyway.  If you mostly do PvE, selling off the 266 LVL 3 stars isn't a bad thing.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    My current 3-star Bonus hero is Doc Ock.  He's my bonus hero because I'm trying to get his dupe to 13 covers.  Once he hits that, I just go ahead and sell the 266 one, since I'm not that big into PvP anyway.  If you mostly do PvE, selling off the 266 LVL 3 stars isn't a bad thing.

Looks like Ock will be essential in Deadpool vs MPQ next week, so you may want to hang on to the maxchamped version at least Another week.

I have started appreciating my dupes a bit more lately. I run a lot of Thanos in PvE, and being able  to switch in a dupe for the last clear(s) instead of healing the maxchamped version is nice. When someone with a high-level dupe is featured in PvP I can use that to reduce Health pack usage too.

But I do agree with the OPs Point that the threestar champion rewards are not very exciting at first. It's a bit of a drag when you have many farmed threestars at low level.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've just started the 3* Dupe process and have decided that unless it is a 3* dupe I really want I am not going to roster everyone AGAIN unless I have more than one cover on the vine.

At this point in time when I still have 4* to feed iso to it is too much of a commitment to fully start a 3* farm (and a bit scary).

Of course if the reality of this being the only place saved covers isn't a godsend hits home I might well change tact...
  • SirHuggyBear
    SirHuggyBear Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    I dupe only the 3* that are fed by 2* characters. It's a steady supply of covers. Any other 3* cover I pull for max champed character are ruthlessly sold.
  • Quebbster
    I dupe only the 3* that are fed by 2* characters. It's a steady supply of covers. Any other 3* cover I pull for max champed character are ruthlessly sold.

All covers are steadily supplied through the various event rewards even if you do not care for the random nature of tokens/vaults. The ones with feeders just have a steadier supply. Ruthless Selling means a lot of wasted champion rewards, but I infer that you are OK with that.

I totally get not wanting to invest in dupes for all threestar characters (I did that and it did drain my Resources for quite a while), but you could consider Selling the maxchamped version and roster a replacement with the new covers. As long as you aren't relying on those characters in Daily play the difference should be neglible.

• SirHuggyBear
    SirHuggyBear Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Quebbster said:

The ones with feeders just have a steadier supply. Ruthless Selling means a lot of wasted champion rewards, but I infer that you are OK with that.

Exactly this. Managing another (even longer-term) farm is more time and energy than I want to put into this FTP game. 
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I'm playing the long game. I've played this game for 1,531 days, I'm used to the long game. I will eventually have all of them max champed and all with a dupe champ. That part is just time and Iso. All my 4*s are champed except four newer ones and they are soft capped. I could champ the 5*s OML, Phoenix and Silver Surfer and I will eventually but I won't use them unless essential so why do it now when I need one more Okoye cover to champ her.

I'm champing the 3*s when I get the 14th cover usually, I need the Legendary token more than the Iso. With the 2*s it's easy enough to save 50 covers and maxchamp all in one go. It would take over a year to save all 100 for a 3*, I don't have that kind of patience. Plus I still need the exp. from applying covers. I still have Iso needs and like going up shield levels (139 now).

When champing was new and I was first champing 3*s all rewards seemed nice and helped greatly with my 4* transition. My 4* transition is over and now that I know the ravenous need of Legendary tokens and cp to make and noticeable gains in the 5* transition the 3* rewards seem lacking.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm hungry for better 3* champ rewards as well, mine are all between 179 and 204. By the time they reach 223, I would have already champed 3 x 5*s. I would also have 20+ champed 4*s, so I see these high level 3* champ rewards as a way to help me continue building my 5*s, not my 4*s. Perhaps, this is by design. 

Once they all max out at 266, there will be a drought of 3* champ rewards, but 4* champ rewards may make up for that, given that they should all be champed. Perhaps, this is by design as well. 
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    On my 2*s, I sell the max champs as soon as I get another cover for them, so I have no dupes.
    On my 3*s, I keep the max champ until I can champ the dupe. I only favorite the one dupe with the most covers. I only uses 3*s when they are essentials. This way I never have to use an under covered 3*, but I also don't have to invest in tons of roster slots. This means every 3* cover I get does something. They can't all be LTs, so I take satisfaction from the steady stream of small steps.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    bbigler said:
    I'm hungry for better 3* champ rewards as well, mine are all between 179 and 204. By the time they reach 223, I would have already champed 3 x 5*s. I would also have 20+ champed 4*s, so I see these high level 3* champ rewards as a way to help me continue building my 5*s, not my 4*s. Perhaps, this is by design. 
    Good comment. But even if I were to forego the farm in favor of investing the iso in 5*s -- I don't have enough fully covered 5*s to champ. I'm well into building a 3* farm with many max champs and dupes underway, but I still only have one fully covered 5*. (And I'm in no hurry to champ her until she has 2-3 companions to join her on one glorious day of champing.)

As you say -- perhaps by design.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

Looks like Ock will be essential in Deadpool vs MPQ next week, so you may want to hang on to the maxchamped version at least Another week.

I have started appreciating my dupes a bit more lately. I run a lot of Thanos in PvE, and being able  to switch in a dupe for the last clear(s) instead of healing the maxchamped version is nice. When someone with a high-level dupe is featured in PvP I can use that to reduce Health pack usage too.

But I do agree with the OPs Point that the threestar champion rewards are not very exciting at first. It's a bit of a drag when you have many farmed threestars at low level.

My farmed Doc Ock is 4/5/2, so I've got a couple of covers to go before he's ready to be champed.  I appreciate the heads up, just in case I happen to get really lucky with the bonus covers.  (Narrator:  He *won't* get really lucky with bonus covers.)

If Thanos and Strange weren't two of the 5-stars I had champed, they're probably the two 3-stars that I'd keep around as LVL 266 until the next ones were ready.  They're both so darned useful!
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Thanks to cover saving, I now run my 3* farm the same way as my 2* farm.

The first (Main) I champ and max out. The second (Alt) I don't champ and just save covers until full. Then I level, champ (it maxes out), sell, and start over. This makes for a very nice windfall of rewards at once, even if less frequent. I currently have all 2*s and 44 of the 47 *3s with a dupe, but being post HP that's fine with me. Character slots never go out of style.

This may seem redundant, I'm not missing out on any rewards, and I always have my best possible character when required. Also, by no longer champing my dupes, I have much more flexability with my iso and have been able to champ all new characters easier.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2018
    I sell maxchamped 3*s when I get a further cover for them, with the two exceptions to this being Doctor Strange and possibly Thanos. Doctor Strange is the best 3* by quite some distance. Such a useful character :) I have the 3* Thanos maxchamped but I don't really use him. I only use my underpowered 5* Thanos to make DDQ go quicker. Not sure if I will miss the maxchamped 3* Thanos if I sell and rebuild. Is there a PvP for Thanos on the horizon?
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I'm "post HP" so roster slots aren't a big issue, and so I've been rostering 3-star dupes steadily once they're maxed. Only 4 so far but it'll grow. I see it as the next step in the 4-star to 5-star transition.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hilk said:
    Yeah this is what I'm doing also.  I don't have a specific target for champing yet.  I'll probably do 17 for the ones with good feeders (17 would get you to the first 4* cover).  I also see them as little piggy bank.  If some emergency situation comes up where I want get a bunch of HP, CP, covers, and/or BH chances in bulk I could start cashing these in wherever they are.

Right now my highest amount of saved covers for a 3* dup is 18 on The Hood.  Across 9 3* dups that have saved covers I have 111 covers averaging 12 per character)
  • Quebbster
    I am post-ISO so I don't really see a need to wait to champ the replacements.