Power Traits By Color

dxanders
dxanders Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
So I may be playing into confirmation bias here, and I'm just now reaching the points of leveling three stars where I can really start experimenting with a diverse selection of characters, but I feel like I'm noticing patterns in colored patterns. Red is raw damage, blue comes accompanied by stun, purple offers board shake and cascades.

Am I just looking for patterns that aren't there, or are there some recurring similarities in powers of a particular color type?

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    The patterns you're seeing are definitely there. Not all colours are as well defined, and there are exceptions to any rule you might come up with, but there are definite trends. Purple also has a lot of AP and special tile stealing, for instance, while green has a lot of AoE and random tile destruction. Yellow tends toward support powers. I'm not sure how to characterize black mechanically, but it has a lot of powers that seem unusually mean, ruthless, or brutal in one way or another.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sometimes things aren't what they seem...but in this case they totally are. Yellow is normally healing or possibly tactical (AP gain, countdowns, special tile creation, etc.) Green often has an AoE effect attached.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh and black whilst a lot more varied sometimes has a power that has a drawback or a condition (Thanos, 3* Cyclops, Kate Bishop, Gambit, etc).
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    I remember someone posting a very comprehensive post on here a while ago (not sure if it was in suggestions or in GD) that proposed getting all power colors to match the general 'power type color', even. I'll see if i can dig it up.

/edit: For your enjoyment!
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's definitely intentional.  Here's an early blog post where the devs discuss colour choice for Colossus:

• Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Black tiles seem like you have to wait for the big pay off. Whether it's because it is a long countdown tile or large ap to use
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa said:
    I remember someone posting a very comprehensive post on here a while ago (not sure if it was in suggestions or in GD) that proposed getting all power colors to match the general 'power type color', even. I'll see if i can dig it up.

/edit: For your enjoyment!
    Thanks for digging that up. Very interesting read, even if there are a number of places where I disagree with that analysis.