GRN - Hatchery spider - who generates insect tokens?

Options
Tremayne
Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
I have just gotten Hatchery spider and it is a leader of insects, but as far as I can tell there is only one card that generates insect tokens and that is another Mythic card called Izoni. 

Why do you continue to create stuff that can only be used once in a blue moon? Couldn’t you have added a common spell that put two insect tokens on the board or something similar? Or do I have to wait for the next set before using this part of he card?

Please tell me that this is a mistake and you have forgotten something in this release.
Tagged:

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They are limited by what is printed in paper.  Not a lot of insect tokens in this set (I think there was one other card besides Izoni, but I might be wrong)

Its not fair to blame Oktagon for that.  Besides, there may be more to do with insects in the future.  Who knows?

Technically there is one other mythic that can do it (Locust god), BTW.
  • Furks
    Furks Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There are probably more insects coming up in the next set, but yeah feels a bit empty right now 
  • Tremayne
    Options
    True I forgot the Locust god when writing the OP. Still not in standard though.

the card is apparently bugged and once fixed it is on face of it useless. Nice work!

@Mburn7 - I think that Oktagon is responsible for this cards functionality. From what I understand they have excluded some cards from paper before, so why not pull HS from this set?
    or let HS generate a gem (or 2) that hatch a few insects when popped, so the card was playable in itself, or find an old card graphic and create the card I suggested in OP?
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    True I forgot the Locust god when writing the OP. Still not in standard though.

the card is apparently bugged and once fixed it is on face of it useless. Nice work!

@Mburn7 - I think that Oktagon is responsible for this cards functionality. From what I understand they have excluded some cards from paper before, so why not pull HS from this set?
    or let HS generate a gem (or 2) that hatch a few insects when popped, so the card was playable in itself, or find an old card graphic and create the card I suggested in OP?
    Again, I don't think Oktagon is allowed to to much independent design in their cards.  We had the same discussion when the Elf leader came out in M19.

I'm honestly surprised that they were even able to use the Guild Kit cards in MTGPQ, but even those are only event exclusive Mythics and Masterpieces.  I would not expect them to be able to pull some random card from a completely different set just to make a card slightly more useful.
  • Tremayne
    edited November 2018
    Options
    So the paper card is just as stupid, because the set does not include insects cards?

sorry you have already answered this.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There were some cards in the Innistrad block that made insect tokens as well, but I don't think they were translated into PQ. It's always possible they create the cards when they expand the duel deck event or through other means. Here are a few:

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wizards _always_ plan for later... Lots of things look weird and you find out 3 sets why they exist.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Did we all forget about Thorn Lieutenant already? He was Leader: Elf when literally the only source of Elf tokens was Dwynen's Elite. Here we are one set later, and suddenly he seems to be doing okay finding elf tokens to lead.

Patience, grasshopper.
  • Tremayne
    Options
    @Stormcrow - I didn’t forget about Thorn Lieutenant and the elf debacle.

I think there is a key difference in TL being a rare and HS is a mythic, which is much more difficult to accumulate. I may haven gotten the best cards ever but I can only use it in that capacity sometime in the future. 

@Brigby - D3/Oktagon. please do not make cards that work this way, particularly mythic cards. It is no fun to have HS in my inventory and wait for the next set or the set after that before the card is flowering.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'll throw out a "I'm fine with card design working like this" comment.
    But I've played paper Magic long enough to know that stuff just comes together later and it's fun to see that time happen.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Check out a deck I made for the spider! Here's the link: https://youtu.be/IwgX7QbYFjA?t=27

//Added Video Link That Skips In-Game Name Display -Brigby
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Matthew said:
    Check out a deck I made for the spider! Here's the link: https://youtu.be/IwgX7QbYFjA?t=27 

//Added Video Link That Skips In-Game Name Display -Brigby
    60/100 sheesh
  • arevala
    arevala Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    Locust god insect tokens are not the same color so leader condition of the spider wouldn't aply in that case, am I right?
  • Matthew
    Options
    arevala said:
    Locust god insect tokens are not the same color so leader condition of the spider wouldn't aply in that case, am I right?
    I wouldn't have thought it would matter, but apparently it does. I just tested it out, and the Spider did not assimilate the tokens that were produced by Locust God. I'm gonna put this in the bug thread (pun absolutely intended).
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hmm, colour doesn't matter for knights? Josu Vess can eat white knights as well as black...
  • Matthew
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Hmm, colour doesn't matter for knights? Josu Vess can eat white knights as well as black...
    My guess: they missed it when they implemented Leader. There were problems then, too, with Josu's tokens. Furthermore, there wasn't an Insect Leader when all that happened.
  • Tremayne
    Options
    @jtwood - could you elborate what part you are happy with? It seems you are saying you are fine with Mythic cards that can only reach their full potential sometime in the future. Is that correctly understood?
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    @jtwood - could you elborate what part you are happy with? It seems you are saying you are fine with Mythic cards that can only reach their full potential sometime in the future. Is that correctly understood?
    That's how I'm reading that.  And I agree.  Nothing wrong with a card not being immediately useful.

Just look at Rashmi.  When she came out there were tons of forum posts from people calling her trash and poorly implemented.  Now she's seen as one of the most powerful mythics in the game.  Same goes for Mishra's Self Replicator and several other cards I can't think of right now.

Just because you can't see the value of a card at first glance doesn't mean that it isn't good.  It just means that it might just need some time.
  • Tremayne
    Options
    @Mburn7 True enough, but my problem with the card is that the leader part is badly implemented, not the rest of the card. (Though I struggle to see the brilliance in a card that seems to have a limited longevity on the battlefield, my first impression of HS is that is a poor version of Elvish Piper, which have not seen much praise so far)

Again that is not what I complain about it is the combination of mythic and wait for a coming set that is annoying. It is like a didn’t get a mythic card at all.

now I’ll go see if I can find a combo - other than Izoni.