To many Okoyes and Thors on PVP

Options

Comments

• First21
    First21 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I say enjoy it while it lasts. 5-star Captain Marvel will be the new meta, after her movie arrives next year. Then we can all read complaints about how the only thing anyone sees in PvP is her and <insert character here>.

Thor and Okoye are just the flavor-of-the-month right now. If you don't like it, don't worry - they won't last forever. No 5-star meta ever has.
    Do you think 5* captain marvel is coming out with her movie? If she is then I am going to save my LL tokens thanks for the head up.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    First21 said:
    Dormammu said:
    I say enjoy it while it lasts. 5-star Captain Marvel will be the new meta, after her movie arrives next year. Then we can all read complaints about how the only thing anyone sees in PvP is her and <insert character here>.

Thor and Okoye are just the flavor-of-the-month right now. If you don't like it, don't worry - they won't last forever. No 5-star meta ever has.
    Do you think 5* captain marvel is coming out with her movie? If she is then I am going to save my LL tokens thanks for the head up.
    Most definately, she'll be the new Marvel fad and the most op character in the MCU thus far. I think it's safe to assume she will be getting a 5* at that time because she already has a 2,3, and 4* version. I am most likely going to do the same. The last character I knew was coming like this was Thor and I don't regret skipping the one's on the way to get him.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is the predominant reason I am in no rush to champ any 5 star characters. My PvP life does just fine not having to worry bout seeing that every match. I do run into a lot of the boosted 4 stars for that event but that’s constantly changing so I can actually enjoy playin PvP.. well as much as anyone can enjoy playing PvP lol
    This is blown way out of proportion. Don’t listen to that. I only had 30+ 4* champs when I champed my first 5*. I haven’t regretted it since. PVE is faster. 1200 in pvp is a piece of cake. You’ll still see your fair share of max champed 4* teams even with multiple 5* champs. There’s plenty of variety in s1, s3, or s4. Between regular teams, grills, & teams used to blow up grills, there’s plenty of variety.

Don’t believe the hype 
    I want to second this so much!

Please, anyone reading the opinions of other posters, please take everything everyone says with a grain of salt. 

For instance, if you want to find out about a new steak house in town, you dont ask the local vegan.  If you want to know about the 5* tier, please ask and listen to those who have gone through the transition.  Please do not get your info from someone who adamantly refuses to make the jump. 

I wont say it was all rainbows for everyone, and depending on where you may be on you 4* champs, it may or may not be the time for you, but please dont be dissuaded by someone who, if memory serves, railed against vaulting, preaching nothing but the negative sides of it, while opening exactly zero tokens, thus not participating in it (see the pattern?)
    I'd appreciate it if in the future you attacked my arguments instead of me or my play style/choices (this isn't the first time... and no I'm not flagging you because I hate when people abuse that system).  I've heard this same tired "argument" before.  He's just a 4* player so he doesn't know and then down the road people end up making the same points I was making months ago.  I've discussed my position on vaulting ad nauseum and if you really want to talk more about it start a new thread on it.  But yes, I didn't support 80% of my roster getting locked away and didn't partake in something I did not support.  That was one man's opinion/choice and I argued my point effectively enough that the developers actually responded and we had (in my opinion) a great change to the game with the 50/50 odds.  And while you may have thought I was dumb for not  "taking advantage" of vaulting, I currently have every 4 champed except Domino and all the meta 5* (except Thanos) fully covered as a $2 a month player.  So it obviously worked out well enough for me.  Why my choices bother some people so much I have no idea.  And if you think it is because I'm arguing a position that's false or unfounded, make a better counter argument.  Being a "vegan" (I like that analogy) I did start a thread asking 5* players their experience and it was all over the board, so the one thing we do agree on is to get information from several sources because no one player can say "this is how it is" or "don't believe the hype" when we have so many people with vastly different experiences. And please hear me when I say I include myself in that.  I am by no means a 5* expert and only speak to what I hear many others saying.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,710 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options

(I like that analogy) I did start a thread asking 5* players their experience and it was all over the board, so the one thing we do agree on is to get information from several sources because no one player can say "this is how it is" or "don't believe the hype" when we have so many people with vastly different experiences. And please hear me when I say I include myself in that.  I am by no means a 5* expert and only speak to what I hear many others saying.
    To be fair I don't think many people bothered with the thread because 90% of us know you won't take the advice anyway. I have seen the same questions on Line and people saying what's the point you won't do it anyway.

Within my alliance family I have been a big fan of the 4* tier, but not because it's easier but because I liked the diversity. You get over that within a month though because every game mode is at least twice as fast. My float point is a lot lower, 450ish compared to 750ish when I was in 4* but I go from 400 to 1200 in less than 20-25 minutes and throw one shield.

If anyone in 4* land is sitting on a Okoye/Thor/DD and not made the leap then quite honestly they are missing the easiest period of this game to hit 900 to 1200 I imagine. Zero packs used, fast and almost fool proof.

The only reason not to jump has nothing to do with hitting 900 in PVP but whether you can say goodbye to using the four stars. I did say goodbye to using them and halved my grind.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I champed Jessica Jones recently and now find PVP a lot easier compared to when I was having to run Spiderman with Thanos. Then, it was really difficult. 

I loved the 4* tier, but I wouldn't go back to that now because I save so much time on PVE clears meaning I can now put this game down much quicker than I used to. I gained so much more free time. As mentioned above, if you are in a position to champ Okoye/Thor/DD or in my case Thanos/JJ, then absolutely do it. 

Just dont do what I did and go into the 5* tier with only Thanos, Archangel and Spiderman as your only champed 5's! 
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:

(I like that analogy) I did start a thread asking 5* players their experience and it was all over the board, so the one thing we do agree on is to get information from several sources because no one player can say "this is how it is" or "don't believe the hype" when we have so many people with vastly different experiences. And please hear me when I say I include myself in that.  I am by no means a 5* expert and only speak to what I hear many others saying.
    To be fair I don't think many people bothered with the thread because 90% of us know you won't take the advice anyway. I have seen the same questions on Line and people saying what's the point you won't do it anyway.

Within my alliance family I have been a big fan of the 4* tier, but not because it's easier but because I liked the diversity. You get over that within a month though because every game mode is at least twice as fast. My float point is a lot lower, 450ish compared to 750ish when I was in 4* but I go from 400 to 1200 in less than 20-25 minutes and throw one shield.

If anyone in 4* land is sitting on a Okoye/Thor/DD and not made the leap then quite honestly they are missing the easiest period of this game to hit 900 to 1200 I imagine. Zero packs used, fast and almost fool proof.

The only reason not to jump has nothing to do with hitting 900 in PVP but whether you can say goodbye to using the four stars. I did say goodbye to using them and halved my grind.
    To be fair myself, my thread wasn’t “convince me to be a 5* player”, it was about if it’s easier or harder to climb to 900 as a 5* player. I know in it I said I’ve been thinking about the transition and some (90% you say?) focused on that part of my post and maybe that was my bad. Because really I felt it was a great discussion where both 4 and 5* players had very different experiences of the transition.  Some very badly regretted it and others said best decision I’ve ever made. And to think some weren’t posting their own experiences and couldn’t see a point because they knew I wouldn’t take their advice (which again, I wasn’t asking for advice, just for your experience) is kind of sad. Because like I said, there was some great discussion and  I was very respectful even to those who weren’t being respectful in kind.  I also wasn’t the only person in that thread who wasn’t considering the leap so even if the thought was “I’ll never convince him” there were definitely others on that same fence posting so it wasn’t just about me. For those whose goal it was to change me, not posting was probably a good idea. But for those whose goal it was to just contribute to a discussion around how their transition was, I again really appreciated everyone’s input. 

I wouldnt say the only reason not to jump has nothing to do with 900 PVP, because that was a legit concern of mine (hence the thread) whether you believe me or not. But I do agree letting go of the variety in the 4* tier is super hard. They knocked it out of the park last 3 releases (Domino, Tasky, Dazzler), and the thought of only using them a few times a year if ever in PvP is a rough one. Meanwhile many 5* players are sort of jaded waiting for the “next big 5*” to shake up the meta and every release is met with “they aren’t unseating Thorkoye, what’s the point? Might as well keep hoarding”. I’m not saying everyone but you definately see it both here and on Line in a lot of folks. I do enjoy the game itself, by the way. It’s not always just a grind to get through (sometimes it is though). Especially when you get new fun characters to toy with!
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KC_Hammer said:
    DeNappa said:
    Well, the other choice is to remain in 4* meta, with probably a seemingly endless stream of Grocket/Gamora. 
    For non-Simulator PvP I rarely run in to Grocket/Gamora.  When I do and they aren't boosted, its usually a pretty easy win. In the Simulator, they are fairly common (around 20%-40% of my matches), but also fairly easy to beat with a few well known combos. Due to that there is still a fair amount of variety. 
    Yeeah, they're beatable, but can be annoying and a bad cascade might make a match go off the rails fast or at least be more health pack requiring. Also while there is more variety, I think they are most prevalent, along with Medusa, Chavez, and Carol. (Girl power!)
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is the predominant reason I am in no rush to champ any 5 star characters. My PvP life does just fine not having to worry bout seeing that every match. I do run into a lot of the boosted 4 stars for that event but that’s constantly changing so I can actually enjoy playin PvP.. well as much as anyone can enjoy playing PvP lol
    This is blown way out of proportion. Don’t listen to that. I only had 30+ 4* champs when I champed my first 5*. I haven’t regretted it since. PVE is faster. 1200 in pvp is a piece of cake. You’ll still see your fair share of max champed 4* teams even with multiple 5* champs. There’s plenty of variety in s1, s3, or s4. Between regular teams, grills, & teams used to blow up grills, there’s plenty of variety.

Don’t believe the hype 

Please, anyone reading the opinions of other posters, please take everything everyone says with a grain of salt. 

For instance, if you want to find out about a new steak house in town, you dont ask the local vegan.  If you want to know about the 5* tier, please ask and listen to those who have gone through the transition.  Please do not get your info from someone who adamantly refuses to make the jump. 

I wont say it was all rainbows for everyone, and depending on where you may be on you 4* champs, it may or may not be the time for you, but please dont be dissuaded by someone who, if memory serves, railed against vaulting, preaching nothing but the negative sides of it, while opening exactly zero tokens, thus not participating in it (see the pattern?)
    I'd appreciate it if in the future you attacked my arguments instead of me or my play style/choices 

you may have thought I was dumb

you think it is because I'm arguing a position that's false or unfounded, make a better counter argument
    Not even going to argue with someone that can't tell the difference between themselves and their ideas.  You feel attacked, and that's too bad.  So i will just repeat something i said in my other post.

Please, anyone reading the opinions of other posters, please take everything everyone says with a grain of salt, 
  • Daredevil217
    edited November 2018
    Options

Don’t believe the hype 

I'd appreciate it if in the future you attacked my arguments instead of me or my play style/choices 

you may have thought I was dumb

you think it is because I'm arguing a position that's false or unfounded, make a better counter argument
    Not even going to argue with someone that can't tell the difference between themselves and their ideas.  You feel attacked, and that's too bad.  So i will just repeat something i said in my other post.

Please, anyone reading the opinions of other posters, please take everything everyone says with a grain of salt, 
    I don’t feel attacked in the sense that you hurt my feelings or anything like that. It’s all good there I promise. I don’t take this stuff personally.  It’s just talk about a game we seemingly all love. I meant attack in the argument sense. But the following are examples where the attack/argument is about the person posting and not the post itself (which was my point) and in my opinion makes for weak arguments. It’s okay if you disagree:
    - He’s just a 4* player, so his point isn’t valid (ignoring the actual point)
    - I’m not even going to respond to his point because I can’t change his mind (weird goal to have in threads where that isn’t the stated purpose)
    - How can he have a credible view on X when months ago he had argued against Y (completely separate topics and also is focused more on the poster than the post). 
    - I’m not even going to respond because he can’t separate himself from his ideas (False, and I hope I explained what I meant more accurately in this post. Also, ironically another example of sidestepping actual points made and focusing on the person so you don’t have to respond to their points). You did reiterate the one point we agree on which makes sense. You’ll get nothing but compete agreement from me there! 

Normally I just let this stuff slide but figured I’d say something once and then people can choose what they want to do with it. If you want to change, great.  If not, well at least you’re aware and get to make a more conscious choice (that’s the therapist in me lol). Like I said, all good on my end. If you really “just can’t” with this guy I understand. No hard feelings. But something tells me you can... and will with this guy again.  Another day. In another thread. Lol. So until then... take care. I really mean that with no snark intended.  
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You have said this sooo many times now. If you look back over your countless threads, YOU are the one who said you're a 4* player (many times)--everyone else is simply agreeing with you. You have whole threads devoted to the fact that you're a 4* player. It's not news. Just make the jump already and maybe your opinions will carry more weight.
  • Spudgutter
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    You have said this sooo many times now. If you look back over your countless threads, YOU are the one who said you're a 4* player (many times)--everyone else is simply agreeing with you. You have whole threads devoted to the fact that you're a 4* player. It's not news. Just make the jump already and maybe your opinions will carry more weight.
    I thought of another analogy, to go with me vegan one from earlier in the thread.  

If you want to buy a Chevy, don't go to "Mahk" from those "real people" commercial's on youtube.  If you don't know who they are, give them a look, several funny videos(earlier stuff is better, they are trying to hard these days).
  • The_A_Train
    The_A_Train Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It is what it is? You can only choose 2 of the 3 characters you play with in most of the pvp events. At least okoye + thor is fun to play with. There's an element of working the board to ensure thor doesn't take too much dmg, getting the other team's thor down before he nukes yours, etc.

The nature of their pvp and the 5* tier doesn't lend itself to diversity...it simply is what it is. 
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I say I’m a 4* player to give context to my posts. I don’t think it invalidates my opinions. There are absolutely things I don’t know and that’s where MANY of my threads come from. Genuine intrigue and wanting to hear from people with experiences different than my own. But just like there are some things I don’t know/haven’t experienced, a 5* transitioner who almost entirely skips the 4* tier will have a different experience than someone who has every 4 champed when they leap. Or someone who jumped right at the beginning will have a different experience than someone who jumped yesterday. Or someone who jumped with Gambit/Thor will have a different experience than someone who jumped with Star-Lord/Ock or with Loki/Kitty. I just say (like Spud says) there is no one person who can talk about “THE experience” because many of my threads have shown that it’s all over the map. No one 5* player is an expert on every 5* players experience. Saying “leap if you want your opinions to hold more weight” is exactly the problem I’m talking about.

I could leap... champ Daredevil, Jessica, Thor, and Okoye, bust my hoard of 400 pulls and add Loki, Kitty and Cable to the mix. Say my MPQ quality of life is greatly improved.  Tomorrow someone says “I have about 30 4* champs and 350 pulls, should I leap?”. I’m sitting here with every 4* and the meta 5s champed saying “absolutely! It worked for me!” I leapt with those three and it worked out awesome! My experience does not make me an expert on theirs. What I can say though is I’ve actually had several discussions about this and people’s experience are all over the board. Know that while it was awesome for me there’s a context. I also don’t know if a month from now after using the same characters I might get bored until we finally get a combined arms or balance of power to shake up the monotony. 

If you think my opinions hold no weight that’s fine. Then counter said opinions or talk about your own. That’s all I was saying.  A lot of times I don’t even talk about my own experience but just speak to the variety of experiences others have reported and it’s still seen as not valid by some. 

I don’t even think the 5* tier is bad by the way. I’ve actually started leveling up six 5* characters myself! It’s all about preference.  There are pros and cons to both tiers. 
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    People say Thor Okoyoe is the best team, but it is only if you meet a certain condition.   That condition is where Okoyoe is a much higher level than Thor where her Red damage makes her the character in front.  You want at least a 12 to 15 level differential at the lower level.     Than it is the best team, because she can heal and protect Thor from damage, where only his Green. As both Okoyoe and Thor gain levels, you need to maintain a higher difference level and the gap has to expand a small amount.   Example a level 478 Okoyoe would have a red damage of 714. A level 466 Thor would have a red damage of 709.    Okoyoe Red damage maxes out at 1244.  Thor maxes out at 1354.  So for the end game you never want Thor to max out at level 550 you would want him a little under 540.   
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    People say Thor Okoyoe is the best team, but it is only if you meet a certain condition.   That condition is where Okoyoe is a much higher level than Thor where her Red damage makes her the character in front.  You want at least a 12 to 15 level differential at the lower level.     Than it is the best team, because she can heal and protect Thor from damage, where only his Green. As both Okoyoe and Thor gain levels, you need to maintain a higher difference level and the gap has to expand a small amount.   Example a level 478 Okoyoe would have a red damage of 714. A level 466 Thor would have a red damage of 709.    Okoyoe Red damage maxes out at 1244.  Thor maxes out at 1354.  So for the end game you never want Thor to max out at level 550 you would want him a little under 540.   
    Whilst it's true it's beneficial to have Okoye tanking red, it's by no means essential.  I've had PvP climbs where I've used 0 healthpacks and just ridden a 20k health Thor all the way.  If it's an event where the essential tanks purple/blue then I might end up having to use a pack or two for them, but it makes it even less likely I'll need to make even one match with Thor.

Sucks that you can't match red, but if the AI gets enough ap to fire a power you can usually just soak it up with Okoye.  Sucks a lot more if you let the AI match 12 green though.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    But that's exactly what he is talking about. People ignoring other opinions based on their own perceptions. (Which will vary greatly between most players)

Here you are even saying make the jump and "maybe" your opinion will carry weight.

Daredevil is saying people all have different experiences and points of view. What works for one player may not work for another. So you listen to broader experiences from many people while not telling certain people "your opinion does not matter". That let's you see how you may want to proceed.
  • Spudgutter
    Options
    tiomono said:

People ignoring other opinions based on their own perceptions. (Which will vary greatly between most players)
    Funny, because the comment that sparked this off shoot discussion was:

"This is the predominant reason I am in no rush to champ any 5 star characters"

To which, i replied:

"Please, anyone reading the opinions of other posters, please take everything everyone says with a grain of salt.  

I wont say it was all rainbows for everyone, and depending on where you may be on your 4* champs, it may or may not be the time for you"

We aren't discussing bear traps over here.  I dont have to step in one to know that it will suck and totally hurt my leg.  But if i want to learn about flying a helicopter, i go to the helicopter pilots.  There is a reason that David Tennant receives a phone call from each new Dr. Who, because he has first hand knowledge of the experience.

I could make a list a mile long of examples like this, and some people will still see fit to type out counter arguements.  I am not arguing with them to change their mind, because i won't.  I'm just letting people reading this, who are thinking about making the 5* jump, know the other side of the coin
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    But that's exactly what he is talking about. People ignoring other opinions based on their own perceptions. (Which will vary greatly between most players)

Here you are even saying make the jump and "maybe" your opinion will carry weight.

Daredevil is saying people all have different experiences and points of view. What works for one player may not work for another. So you listen to broader experiences from many people while not telling certain people "your opinion does not matter". That let's you see how you may want to proceed.
    Well then keep creating threads and asking the same questions and saying the same things and don't do anything at all. Everyone's experience is different--it's been proven time and time again. You're not going to get new information/opinions/experiences on this subject.

Do or do not, there is no try.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    tiomono said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Well then keep creating threads and asking the same questions and saying the same things and don't do anything at all. Everyone's experience is different--it's been proven time and time again. You're not going to get new information/opinions/experiences on this subject.

Do or do not, there is no try.
    But he is giving his perspective. And encouraging people to listen to all perspectives. So that any player can then look at what other players have done and why, and make a decision that works for them.

Daredevils reasons for holding off from going into 5* tier are his own. They work for him. He has the covers and resources available to progress, but chooses not to. He is very open about why. That does not mean his viewpoint or choices are meaningless or invalid.