X-Men Vs. Apocalypse - Event Details (11/7/18)

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alliance boss events are all about all for one and one for all, so allowing SCL seems to be contradictory because it doesn't adhere to this. If one member chooses, SCL 5, other SCL 6 and others SCL 9, there are no sense of alliance. It's just another PvE with no need to speed run the events.

Places of Power is different because the objectives and the designs are clear. There's no boss as well.

I think it's pretty relaxing and easy to achieve rewards for boss events. There are fewer total nodes to clear to get the rewards too. 
    I have considered that.  I could see it working 2 ways:
    1.  SCL is set for the entire alliance, probably restricted to a commander.
    2.  Individuals get to pick their own SCLs.  Boss and side nodes scale to that and they get the rewards equivalent.  Points for boss kills should be %s so regardless of the SCL someone else is in everyone gets the same benefit (preferred).
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Alliance boss events are all about all for one and one for all, so allowing SCL seems to be contradictory because it doesn't adhere to this. If one member chooses, SCL 5, other SCL 6 and others SCL 9, there are no sense of alliance. It's just another PvE with no need to speed run the events.

Places of Power is different because the objectives and the designs are clear. There's no boss as well.

I think it's pretty relaxing and easy to achieve rewards for boss events. There are fewer total nodes to clear to get the rewards too. 
    I understand where you are coming from, but most people I have seen bring up SCL in Boss battles are talking strictly about rewards not difficulty or player separation. Most people only talk about making Individual Progression rewards SCL based not the Alliance rewards. 
  • Barbarizenow
    Barbarizenow Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    This is the worst event they run.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alliance boss events are all about all for one and one for all, so allowing uiSCL seems to be contradictory because it doesn't adhere to this. If one member chooses, SCL 5, other SCL 6 and others SCL 9, there are no sense of alliance. It's just another PvE with no need to speed run the events.

... you're right.  And by stating what you stated, I realized I stated my original idea wrong.

I meant it not having a SCL entrance point... but rewards based on your individual Shield Level.  For example, I'm at lvl 126.  So, take 126 multiplied by whatever the figure is for that progression reward.

I apologize to everyone for that level of confusion
     I do like SCLs... but the Shield Level can still be an easy multiplier for rewards across all events.  Just the base number would change between SCLs.

• nippy
    nippy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    they gotta do something about boss events.. it's just way too eazzzzzy for scl9 folks
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    When this event was first introduced I thought it was the best. Some nifty mechanics involved, I thought. But every time it runs, 4Cyke, Teen Jean, and Switch are all boosted and there's no reason to field any other team against Apocalypse. I still enjoy it more than any normal 7-clear gotta-use-Thanos PvE event, but to me it's the blandest of the boss events.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    I really like how they split the rewards screens into two, for player/alliance progression. Much better this way! Thank you @Brigby!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Couldn't disagree more.  This is by far the best boss event.  Worst is Thanos, it's so easy he practically defeats himself.  The problem IMO with this boss is the lack of difficulty scaling, if you can kill him in one turn none of the interesting mechanics come into play at all, which is a shame.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    Couldn't disagree more.  This is by far the best boss event.  Worst is Thanos, it's so easy he practically defeats himself.  The problem IMO with this boss is the lack of difficulty scaling, if you can kill him in one turn none of the interesting mechanics come into play at all, which is a shame.
    You do know you are allowed to use any character on your roster, right? You dont need to one-punch him with a 5* or whatever. You can use your 2*/3*s and have some actual fun. No real time limits either... Especially on the earlier rounds why not set your own challenges? Use non-boosted 2* or 3* characters and make good use of all those interesting mechanics.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    You do know you are allowed to use any character on your roster, right?
    Speaking of that, I only use X-type characters in this event. I don't know why, because I don't push myself into using affiliations or themes in any other aspect of the game. But I do for Apocalypse. There's enough X-people to field some pretty interesting teams. Now, for the side nodes where the required character isn't a mutant I'll team them appropriately as well. For example, I put Sue and Johnny with Reed and I put two other Avengers with IM40. I figure those teams are helping out in a universe-wide crossover type of thing.

Isn't that silly?
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    I like this boss event, but these are not enticing rewards.
    2 easy legendary tokens 4 easy 4* covers for champ rewards, plus decent iso and a couple days off from PVE sat and Sunday.  What’s not to like about that?
    My alliance is not very competitive, we usually finish somewhere in Round 7, so I'll only get two of those Thor (Goddess of Thunder) covers and only one LT, from personal progression. And Mister Fantastic? Both are champed for me, and champ levels for 4* characters are not very exciting unless you're getting an LT, 5* cover, or chunk of CP — they're just too slow going. That said, my Thor is at lvl 289 so I'll at least get an LT from her. Mr. F is at lvl 281, so less exciting.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 1 cover Kitty Pryde's circuit breaker wasn't very effective against even level 100 'Poccy which is a shame
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:

I figure this boss is also perfect to chuck my fledgling 2 cover Kitty Pryde at boss Apocalypse for some lower rounds as her Circuit Breaker power should mess with Pestilence special tile malarky straight off the bat (I'll bring along boostedTeen Jean for insurance and Cyclops for the big boom/AP creation).
    My Kitty is up to 8 covers, so I’ll give her a try.

To the devs:  It would have been nice to update the boosted list to include her, even though the boost isn’t that large.  And what about Gambit?  Archangel?  Emma? Dazzler? Jubilee?  Maybe there’s a limit to the boosted list....but there are a lot of recent Xmen not on the list.  
    My 1 cover Kitty circuit breaker didn't work out too well! Lol!

Agreed on the boosted list, I would have liked to have seen Nightcrawler as well. Archangel seems particularly relevant to an Apocalypse battle and would also mean Angel for the 3* level too. You have a Wolverine at levels 2-5 and then they use X-23 as well which seems like an overkill of clawiness.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2018
      Since I've only heard one team suggestion so far I'll, maybe, get the ball rolling with my own.  Champed Mr. F (5,5,3 or 5,3,5) C4rol (5,3,5) and C&D(5,3,5).  Keep in mind this is a very slow team but very self sustaining and very reliable.  

1)  Your first goal is to try to get blue as fast as you can and get protect tiles to keep the damage low to nothing on your team. 
    2)  Next just keep trying to get yellow so C&D can take away his attack tiles.  
    3)  C&D will keep giving you black, which Apocalypse will match and give you more blue through C4rol's energy absorption.  Any time a black death tile comes up just use Mr. F's blue to swap tiles to match it away or sometimes C&D will help you out by providing black as well.  
    4)  If you happen to have C4rol at higher health than C&D "the strong will survive" will hit C&D and you can just use your purple to get them on their self-healing cycle.
    5)  The last thing you'll have to deal with is just doing enough damage to Apocalypse to get the last horseman out.   I usually send out C4rol's black once to get things going a little faster.
    6)  The remainder of the match just try to deny red and and keep sending out C4rol's black until he finally runs out of health.

Again very slow and methodical but very effective and health pack saving too.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    3Clops, SWitch, and Teen Jean have been doing great for me. You've got a battery for both possible strongest colours, Jean clears out the Attack Tiles and Death countdowns, SWitch can also help clear out problematic tiles with her green, and Scott can blast away like no one's business.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    3Clops, SWitch, and Teen Jean have been doing great for me. You've got a battery for both possible strongest colours, Jean clears out the Attack Tiles and Death countdowns, SWitch can also help clear out problematic tiles with her green, and Scott can blast away like no one's business.
    Same, except 4clops rather than 3clops
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used my newly champed Mr F with Cardusa. Insanely slow and the first few turns of a match suck a bit with the attack tiles but then the burst health kicks in and you're good to go. Used them all the way through round 8 to snag a Medusa and a saved cover for Miles.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    I've been using 5* Daredevil, 4* Ghost Rider, and a rotating third character - lower level than GR but stronger in black. GR just sits back and lets the other two deal enough damage to down the upper right hand corner Horseman and get 10 black AP so Ghostie can Penance Stare him.

The rotating guest star will eventually get KOd, but that's why there's a rotation.  While Mystique (+Hydra Henchmen), Hulkbuster, Elektra, CM4, Wolvie4, C&D, and Kate Bishop are on the bench healing, G4mora's collecting black and taking the Strong Will Survive damage.  I'm on round 8 and haven't used a single health pack.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been using my newly champed XPool along with Carol/C&D (Carol and XPool at 5/3/5).

Match Red whenever possible and let Apoc match Black with gives more Red (thanks Carol) to get rid of the AP drain. The extra Black from C&D means you get rid of his count downs easily too.

I usually finish him off with an XPool Red (15K) + Carol Black (13K) though round 7 with extra damage from C&D Purple/Yellow or XPools Purple as required (depends on how many strikes you have out from Carols Blacks).

What's nice is XPool heals from his Reds so he essentially heals all match damage with 1 Red cast so often I've taken next to no damage.

1 Health Pack through round 7 when once I couldn't get one of Apocs black count downs before it expired.

KGB
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    IM40, Switch, Teen Jean. I equipped a support to Jean to make her strongest color blue instead of purple, so the 1 AP drain from Apoc didn't matter. Once I managed to finish off the 25% damage reduction horseman tile it was a matter of Jean Green->Purple->IM40 red all in one turn, which worked a treat through round seven.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been trying with IM40, JJ and Yondu. Do I get any yellow? No. I have not seen this many awful boards I think. And to add insult to injury so to speak, the sub nodes are all required. Awful event.