That PvP opponent you just know you should skip...

Options

Comments

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I will never battle any team with Vulture. I think he is pretty much my only auto-skip because if the CPU has one or two really good turns, it can become literally unbeatable. I don't need the aggravation.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can I change my answer to JJ? That beating I just caught was savage.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One time I experienced the unbeatable Vulture and that was enough to always target him in the future; but he's not a skip, unless they have Clagger too.  Grocket & Gamora can be easily countered with a Dazzler & Grocket, but my Dazzler is weak, so that's a skip.  Medusa & Carnage could take them down, but I'll get hurt more than I like.  If I see a Carnage & Medusa team, I'll bring Kitty & Grocket to destroy them fast.  I doubt they would retaliate with Carnage again. 
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Stunners are the death of my thorkoye unless the required character tanks at least 1 or two colors over thor.  I still fight them, but every once in awhile I wipe and then have the annoying task of getting thor back to half health (I refuse to do the retreat method).
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I definitely take her out first.. and worry about the consequences later 
  • nippy
    nippy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I use this team for defense, but it doesn't seem to deter anyone.  Rogue+4XDP+Okoye.  For Chavez, if you use 50% 5Thor, you want to hit her last as she basically does nothing.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I forget what a beast 4-star Wasp can be when paired with someone who generates shield tiles, and every time I forget she should be my primary target in this battle, she pulls out tactical intuition and pairs it with a critical that flows into a cascade, and there went at least one member of my team...
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2018
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    I agree Chavez can be such a pain to fight. And while a +1 all helps some of the time, it's still not a guarantee. Problem is that once she gets her crits rolling, this very often leads to match-4's or match-5's, making it even harder to catch up on AP.

This right here. There’s things you can do to mitigate her but the way my RNG rolls I’m always behind. 1/2 Thor? Yeah, no doubt. Unfortunately I don’t have him in any state to compete and trying to ride Hood to 1.2 in PVP....just no.

Gotta agree with Vulture as well. Major pita that can get steamrolling fast and straight out put you down. It’s almost comical when he gets going.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nippy said:
    I use this team for defense, but it doesn't seem to deter anyone.  Rogue+4XDP+Okoye.  For Chavez, if you use 50% 5Thor, you want to hit her last as she basically does nothing.
    4XDP goes down to 50Thor because of his lower health pool. Use another 5. Rogue is fine because she absorbs the 50Thor hits easier. 

You're still going to get hit, but I find Okoye+Rogue plus a 5* that isn't Thor is as good as it's gonna get on "defense". 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MPQ is like a game of rock, paper, scissors. You need to have the rock if someone has the scissors. So the only characters I skip are the ones where either:

1) they are almost guaranteed to cost me healthpacks, and/or
    2) they are guaranteed to take a long time to beat either because of high HP or high damage resistance that is hard to get around

AND where I don't have the right counter toon or team (or there isn't a good one).

About the only one I consistently skip boosted or not is champed Rogue. I think I celebrated 2 birthdays during the time it took to win my last battle with her. And the computer always gets lucky enough for that cheap green.

Although I see her mentioned a bunch, I don't fret Chavez teams at all. I take a team with lots of passives, as much of the rainbow as possible, target her first, make sure I always have more AP, and avoid leaving her cascades or match 4s. Does it happen? Sometimes, but not enough to skip.

I also rarely skip Jessica Jones. I just target her first, watch the colors she is likely to drop trap tiles on, and do my best not to leave her any matches. With the right counter, those defenestrate strike tiles either become mine or get weakened very quickly.

One trick I learned--don't always jump on critical tiles or match 4's and 5's. Sometimes it's better to just prevent it or leave it for the AI to make if it prevents them from getting the color they really need.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In three star lands, I skip Dr Strange, Iron Fist, Scarlet Witch. 

Huh. Dr. Strange has always been a prime target for me among 3* teams. Just bring someone with strong passives (Iron Fist, perhaps) or a stun, and focus him down first. He drops pretty quickly most of the time.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options
    One thing I've learned to do (4-star player), is to make sure and check the cover level of certain 5-star characters before a fight. Typically, when I see a level 255 five-star with all three powers, I think "cool, 1/1/1, I can handle this." Today I fought a 255 Jessica Jones who single-handedly dismantled my favorite sim team of 4Carol/Mockingbird/4Wasp. Only after staring in disbelief at the damage she was dealing did I cross-reference her damage levels - yep, it was a 4/5/4 level 255 JJ. Yikes. I thought I had her in the bag when she was down to 1k health, with my 11k health Carol smiling smugly at her - then she hit a cascade that matched THREE of her evidence tiles at once. It did not end well for Carol.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In three star lands, I skip Dr Strange, Iron Fist, Scarlet Witch. 

Huh. Dr. Strange has always been a prime target for me among 3* teams. Just bring someone with strong passives (Iron Fist, perhaps) or a stun, and focus him down first. He drops pretty quickly most of the time.
    America Chavez loves Dr. Strange. I will tend to one-shot him though because of his blue stun. It is normally fairly easy to do as he is so squishy.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PuceMoose said:
    One thing I've learned to do (4-star player), is to make sure and check the cover level of certain 5-star characters before a fight. Typically, when I see a level 255 five-star with all three powers, I think "cool, 1/1/1, I can handle this." Today I fought a 255 Jessica Jones who single-handedly dismantled my favorite sim team of 4Carol/Mockingbird/4Wasp. Only after staring in disbelief at the damage she was dealing did I cross-reference her damage levels - yep, it was a 4/5/4 level 255 JJ. Yikes. I thought I had her in the bag when she was down to 1k health, with my 11k health Carol smiling smugly at her - then she hit a cascade that matched THREE of her evidence tiles at once. It did not end well for Carol.
    I always do this. Often it is the reverse - an overlevelled 5* who doesn't actually really do much.
  • Skymedium
    Skymedium Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Strange, JJ and vult. They cost me healthpacks so is rarely worth fighting for me. Casual player so i can skip alot of teams during pvp since most of the time i settle at cp reward.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Even though Strange has low hp, it forces me to wait until I have enough ap to one shot him or stun him when I'm on healthpack conservation mode. Sometimes I bring 3* Spidey along because he has cheap stun. I do use Iron Fist and Daken against him sometimes, but the match will be slow. So, I rather skip him unless I don't mind taking some damage.
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There is no one I always skip.  But I’m less likely to take Rogue teams just because she slows the match speed down, and I don’t have a fun stun option that also heals. 

For or most of the others mentioned here, I often use Okoye-4XDP.  If JJ, Chavez, 4wasp, or anyone else gets rolling, 4XDP retals them into the ground. He’s pretty solid bad match insurance.  Usually the only problem is getting enough yellow and red for them to heal before the match ends. -But a PVE node can be used for that if needed. 

The all AP+1 (or 2) is solid advice if you have problems with Chavez. That and paying attention to the AP numbers is usually enough to make sure she never gets rolling. 
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2018
    Options
    PuceMoose said:

Huh. My JJ is 2/3/5 at LV255. I might consider giving her a go sometime.
  • nippy
    nippy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Borstock said:
    nippy said:
    4XDP goes down to 50Thor because of his lower health pool. Use another 5. Rogue is fine because she absorbs the 50Thor hits easier. 

You're still going to get hit, but I find Okoye+Rogue plus a 5* that isn't Thor is as good as it's gonna get on "defense". 
    KK... I guess I'll give Okoye+JJ+Rogue a chance... 
  • First21
    First21 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    Bring G4mora to any annoying character fight. that mega-cheap stun paired with a blue generator like Vulture means it's stun-lock city. There is no single character I'll fundamentally skip, just characters at a level higher than I can compete with. 
    Thank for the tip. It really works once you get the engine going