Turn Off thee Story Mode Option

Options
Allow players to shut off story(dialogue) pre-game interface. Thank you.
What do you all think?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since this is something that could affect placement, I doubt this option will be possible. It's either removed for all players or it's there for all players. A counter argument to this could be using the option to turn off animation, which also affects placement.

A good compromise would be to let the story run once per node, instead of it been repeated for every clear.

Turning animation and story mode off will make the competitive players feel even more soulless(?) when playing story mode. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What would they call Story mode without the Story bit then?
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    What would they call Story mode without the Story bit then?
    Race Baby Race?  :D
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Since this is something that could affect placement, I doubt this option will be possible. It's either removed for all players or it's there for all players. A counter argument to this could be using the option to turn off animation, which also affects placement.

A good compromise would be to let the story run once per node, instead of it been repeated for every clear.

Turning animation and story mode off will make the competitive players feel even more soulless(?) when playing story mode. 
    As you note they've already given the option to turn off animations which is a much bigger effect on placement that the dialog, since for most it's just a single click to skip on whichever nodes have it.

I would love this option.  I personally think this should have happened before and/or instead of the animation disable.  Still not happy about the animation disable.  That IMO is what made the game feel soulless.  People who are going to skip the story already are since there is a skip button, you just have to manually click it every time.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Magic said:
    Trust me - after 4+ years you are soulless. Period. Can't be more soulless. So getting rid of the clicks would go a long way into recovering at least a fragment of the soul. This would save players few minutes for each clear and it would be big. We have asked for animations to be off and since it happened I never looked back. They were nice, but they were a drag during the grind. So time is now to allow the the story to be off as well.

And by the way - did you know the game also has sound effects :-p
    Why not just have a story toggle just like aniinmations?  If I want to watch I’ll turn it on otherwise just keep it off!
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd settle for not repeatedly being told I've been attacked in PvP while I'm doing my PvE clears.

I don't care if I lost, or if I got a defensive win, and I especially don't care if I'm Shielded and I lost but didn't lose any points.

Have the decency to wait until I'm back at the main screen before giving me a PvP status report.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    broll said:
    I would love this option.  I personally this should have happened before and/or instead of the animation disable.  Still not happy about the animation disable.  That IMO is what made the game feel soulless.
    I don't like it either. There are a lot of things I love about this game, but being forced to play without any animations in order to place competitively in PvE is the thing I dislike the most. I love the animations.
    I really miss the animations. The game is a lot more fun with them, and I'll often turn them back on for Boss events when speed is no longer critical.

Except for Sinister Six when I'm facing Carnage with his Infinite Jazz Hands of Doom. You can make like a tree and leave, Carnage! No animations for you!
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    The problem with the game in its current state, as many long-time players are suffering from, is that PVE is nothing more than speed-based. Every possible advantage you can get to clear faster is the goal: faster device, disable animations, use the team that clears the fastest, boost the horrible loaner node, skip those damn cut scenes as fast as possible, etc. I truly believe this is a problem and quite frankly I'm losing interest. There are other games out there (Marvel-related, maybe even brand new!) that do not force you to clock-watch everything you do to earn rewards, be competitive and place well. None of the current PVE start times work well for anyone on EST (which is a significant portion of the player-base), but beyond that, I am becoming apathetic to the mindless clear-as-fast-as-you-can mechanic for placement.

To take it a step further, some allies are now using spreadsheets and apps to maximize their final clears by predicting point additions. I don't think this is what the devs have intended but what do I know...
    I echo almost all of this  While I don't really mind speed determining placement, I despise how many hoops you have to jump through just to make sure you get high placement - especially the whole "grinding against the clock or you miss points  even though your roster is more than capable of beating the nodes" aspect. 

More and more players are becoming high level, so pve has become way more competitive,  which makes allies crack the whip to get placement,  which puts more pressure on the players to perform well (nothing against the allies, it's just the current nature of the beast).    Problem is real life happens  and we're humans who need to take breaks.  The game isn't suited well for that. 
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options

This was the exact same excuse people said about animations and that happened. So it's still a possibility
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Force animations back on and remove a clear. I’d be happier with that and see the fantastic effort that’s gone into the game, rather than turn everything off for speed for half decent placement.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Force animations back on and remove a clear. I’d be happier with that and see the fantastic effort that’s gone into the game, rather than turn everything off for speed for half decent placement.
    Yeah, "turn everything off for speed so it's as bare-bones as possible" makes the game worse, not better imo.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the animations, but I don't like the delays that come with them.  When I remember, I turn them on to see the new character's animations.  If I try to leave them on, I get frustrated by all the slight pauses that hinder gameplay (even banners without animations (like OML's Die Hard) cause delays that slow choosing my next match, or selecting a power to use).
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    I'm not necessarily for this.  While I said I don't like that they added a toggle for animations, on further thought that isn't entirely true.  I'm always a fan of choice over being forced to do something and won't advocate for removal of choice.  The change that needs to happen is fix the PvE problem of speed is all that matters.  Once that is resolved people that like the animations can turn them back on with out paying a penalty.  However there may still be people that prefer to have them off for various reasons: they always use the same characters so the get repetitive, even without a time penalty they don't have a lot of time to play the game and would still prefer to play faster, etc.
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Who really knows how the devs designed PvE to go. With the way it is now, I don’t know why they would even bother making a story or animations since it’s “40 min to end RUSH TO CLEAR go go go!” I haven’t read a story in 2 years. The sad thing is I’m sure they have writers that take time to write out a great story and artist to make awesome animations and a good majority of us skip all that. But hey I don’t know all the data and how much of  the playing base is actually “competitive “ so maybe there are some folks that still have on animations and actually read the story
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who really knows how the devs designed PvE to go. With the way it is now, I don’t know why they would even bother making a story or animations since it’s “40 min to end RUSH TO CLEAR go go go!” I haven’t read a story in 2 years. The sad thing is I’m sure they have writers that take time to write out a great story and artist to make awesome animations and a good majority of us skip all that. But hey I don’t know all the data and how much of  the playing base is actually “competitive “ so maybe there are some folks that still have on animations and actually read the story
    Yup, they're known as Casuals.  ;) 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pheregas said:
    Yup, they're known as Casuals.  ;) 
    So sad!

I mean... I cannot imagine any creator in any medium (music, movies, art, games, etc) wanting to make something, just for people to gloss over it.  Its demeaning to that person's effort.  

This "race to get better placement" play-style stifles the game to a point where competitive, money-spending players and non-money-spending players alike, skip animations and story just to get a better score.

I would be all for a change in that.  What that change would be... I dont know right now.