Daylight savings time for US, chances that all of your roster dies

The rockett
The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
As in years past, this has been an issue many times.  Now their is a new release with Domino, what are the chances of everybody dying again?  Will see use her black passive to increase the odds of this happening?  

Just a reminder to @Brigby to let the team know to make sure they look at this since it happens almost every year. 

Comments

• ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    RIP all s5 pve players during new character release
  • The rockett
    So nothing to worry about here? 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    I've already passed this along for their reference. Thanks for the heads up.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    ursopro said:
    RIP all s5 pve players during new character release
    "Roster death" won't affect me materially. The time change doing wonky things to node refreshes? Yeah, maybe.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    It still boggles the mind that the game servers run on local time rather than UTC.  I would have thought it would be easier to shift event start times in the US summer rather than run things off a non-monotonic clock.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Every time change I end up forgetting and going to do a sub event clear at 9:20 only time find it's already finished. RIP my placement.

And then when the US catches up to the UK times, it happens again.
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I can cope with injured characters taking massive damage, it's the subs not ending when the timers say they're going to end that gets me.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The worst thing about it: it is pointed out every single time that this is a problem.

The least the developers should do is say "sorry, can't do anything about it. Plan around it".

But no. Instead we get radio silence, as always, until it's late enough that the Devs can say "whoops,PVE already started, can't change stuff while it's running. See you in 6 months while we hope everyone has forgotten about this by then."
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doesn't the time shift happen during a 48 hour sub this time? It might not solve the problem, but it should minimize the effects at least.
  • The rockett
    Quebbster said:
    Doesn't the time shift happen during a 48 hour sub this time? It might not solve the problem, but it should minimize the effects at least.
    Maybe that is the work around.  I highly doubt that they did this on purpose more of a happy accident. Still if you are playing pvp at that time will still hit you. 
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Good thing my DST change is at 2 AM so I'm asleep anyway, so I would not of been playing anyway. My PVE slice always ends at 12 PM so it does not affect me. It would be a nightmare though if it did.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Welp, doesn't look like they're changing anything this time either. Learned that lesson, get to the chopper Thanoscopter! NOW!

Image result for Thanoscopter
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    A move to a system, like one more focused on progression, that does away with time based subs would solve this for pve.  The only element of time would be for the length of the event and would be set up like the gauntlet.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    The change from DST in The One True Timezone happens at 7 pm my time.  Which is when slice 5 starts / ends.  If it is in the middle of a 48 hour sub, great.  It will be interesting to see when the node points fill up.
    The devs still don't seem to get that the game is played in different countries and different hemispheres.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Would have been nice if the new release event were a boss event instead...
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    justsing said:
    If they could do that and have a way to get the 4th cover (top 100 alliance reward) from the boss event then I would be so down. Maybe put it as the final personal progression reward at like 1.5 million.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    If only there was some way to know that DST changes were going to happen, whether the clocks were going forward or back, and exactly when.
    So here's a list (from www.timeanddate.com), for New York state for the next 5 years:
    10 March 2019, clocks go forward an hour at 2 am
    3 November 2019, clocks go back an hour at 2 am (the first 2 am only, not the second 2 am, that would be mad)
    8 March 2020 clocks go forward an hour at 2 am
    1 November 2020, clocks go back an hour at 2 am (ditto)
    14 March 2021, clocks go forward an hour at 2 am
    7 November 2021, clocks go back an hour at 2 am (ditto)
    13 March 2022, clocks go forward an hour at 2 am
    6 November 2022, clocks go back an hour at 2 am (ditto)
    12 March 2023, clocks go forward an hour at 2 am
    5 November 2023, clocks go back an hour at 2 am (ditto)
    Hopefully that's a sufficient "heads-up" for the devs.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    shardwick said:
    justsing said:
    If they could do that and have a way to get the 4th cover (top 100 alliance reward) from the boss event then I would be so down. Maybe put it as the final personal progression reward at like 1.5 million.
    I honestly don’t mind giving up that 4th cover in exchange for not having to deal with timers and grinding.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Welp, doesn't look like they're changing anything this time either. Learned that lesson, get to the chopper Thanoscopter! NOW!

Image result for Thanoscopter
    Sorry, no passengers allowed, insurance issues.