Danger Room PvP event needs to go die in a corner

2»

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I liked this PvP because I didn't need to carry a dead weight 3* character and was able to use a character not named Thor or Okoye. 

I will enjoy Combined Arms for the same reason. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeroKarma said:
    I liked this PvP because I didn't need to carry a dead weight 3* character and was able to use a character not named Thor or Okoye. 

Getting to pick the 3rd makes PVP alot more fun.  You get to build a focused team that works with the event's buffs and ruleset vs default vanilla shield simulator.  Doesn't need to be every event,  but ever 4 or 5 events would be awesome.

1.  3* featured
    2.  4* featured
    3.  3* featured
    4.  Open choice

repeat cycle

• NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2018
    bbigler said:
    I hated this PVP purely because of the dark energy tiles. They are simply an advantage to the opponents team, boosting their AP. I've never lost so many battles before in a PVP event. It seemed like the winner of the battle was determined solely upon the possible cascades from those tiles. At first, I tried to take advantage of the enemy CD tiles with Hawkguy, but I was still losing battles along the way.
    Agreed. Nothing's worse than the AI getting multiple opportunities to luck-sack you without any real answer or counterplay. At least when the AI gets random cascades normally, it's just bad luck, but there are ways to minimize your bad luck. With these tiles however, entire rows and columns get reset, then the AI has first dibs on the new board ON TOP OF what the game might have given them with the row/column destruction.

I guess I hate it most of all because in every other element of MPQ, you have time to plan and prepare, which is what gives you an advantage over a simple AI bot, but this event throws that out the window, and any advantage you earned during the match so far can be nullified by pure uncontrolled RNG.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Bring Back "Children of the Atom" and throw Danger Room on the scrap pile until such time that the extra tiles are truly neutral and never benefit either side explicitly.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
    The problem is inherently that these so-called "neutral" tiles which belong to neither team only ever benefit the AI team. They don't count down in a neutral period, they count down during the AI's upkeep phase (to use an MTG term), so the AI team gets the benefit of any cascades...and they always create cascades (observational bias notwithstanding).

If MPQ is going to continue to use these not-neutral tiles, the game needs to be re-worked so there is a truly neutral phase between each team's turn where these neutral tiles can safely countdown such that neither team can benefit from any cascades they create.

That said, any tiles that have an effect on being matched or destroyed, such as Medusa's Entanglement and XFDP's Countdown for What, would still need to be activated if matched or destroyed during this "neutral" phase.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    JSP869 said:
    The problem is inherently that these so-called "neutral" tiles which belong to neither team only ever benefit the AI team.
    Well that's not totally true. They can and do destroy AI special tiles. And the AI won't even go out of its way to stop this so you can use them, for example, to destroy an invisibility tile you'd never be able to actually match, for example just by letting it happen

JSP869 said:
    ...so the AI team gets the benefit of any cascades...and they always create cascades (observational bias notwithstanding)....

Can't say I've seen this happen terribly often. And you can definitely bring Jean Grey (who was even boosted this time) along if it's a serious problem. Rogue helps out here too as she's nearly always in front by the time the AI gets around to firing any powers. (if they're not already stunned, of course).
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    If the tiles are 'neutral' how come the enemy team can reinforce them?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the word "neutral" is the key point of discussion. 

If it destroys both parties special tiles, it's neutral. If it's not neutral, it would behave like Starlord's Bit of Both.

If both parties benefits from the countdown tiles such as Hawkeye's passive or C4rol's passive, then it's neutral. 

If the countdown activates only on the enemies' turns but not the players' turns, then it's not neutral because the enemies benefit from free cascades and ap gains. 

I think they still can't figure out the coding for countdown tiles. The only plausible reason is that the codes for interacting with countdown tiles are complex. They probably have to rewrite a chunk of the codes to distinguish neutral, enemy and player tiles.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeroKarma said:

But for combined arms you do need a dead weight 3* & a dead weight 2* & arguably a dead weight 4* lol. 
  • Space Dwarf
    Space Dwarf Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    It was worse the last time they ran it because Carol was boosted, so each timer gave the enemy team boosted special tiles.

That;s not to say it's not still unfair now...
    Exactly this. This was a cake walk without having to deal with a boosted C4rol.  Especially max champed C4rols I typically would see.  
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Edit: I did not see roadwarriors post above that essentially said what I am saying before posting mine.

But isn't the danger room supposed to challenge you or be unfairly tilted against you? That's the whole concept of the danger room in the comics right? 

It would seem very odd thematically for the danger room to harm itself. We often want a challenge or something different or new but when it actually happens there seems to always be a backlash.

The wakanda event or even the guardians with the damaging special tiles would make sense for them to affect both teams as the are part of the environment. But the danger room should be slightly tilted against the player in my opinion.