Danger Room PvP event needs to go die in a corner

NeonBlue
NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
edited October 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Environment tiles were annoying in PvE, but manageable since its PvE, but

1. This is PvP, so your opponents are conceivably not filled with 2*s or goons, they're at your level.
2. These tiles always explode at the end of your turn and before the AI's so they essentially get a free board shake and you can't prevent them from getting random 4 and 5-matches.
3. Cascades caused directly by the tile destruction are given to the AI despite them not doing anything to earn it.

I remember when people complained about the Wakanda PvE, but this is like 20x worse because you can't even control the difficulty to account for the randomness.

Devs please remove this event from rotation forever.

Comments

• Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Tell you the truth the environmental tiles weren't that bad. They did not get me mad or cause me to lose matches or anything. The teams I was going against were the tough part. It was actually kind of cool just using X-men characters. I got my 40 Wins and now I just wait for the event to finish tomorrow with a lot of time in my hands. I only go for 900 points or 40 Wins whatever comes first. I don't shield either. 

I'm a 4* player so I was using a combination of either Rogue, Teen Jean, 4* Deadpool, 3* Deadpool, X-23, or X-Force Wolverine. It was harder than usual, but I got it done. The difference from these environmental tiles than the ones in Wakanda is these are just the ones that break a whole row. The Wakanda one we had a problem with were the exploding ones that did damage to the whole team. This was a cake walk compared to the Wakanda tiles on all days of that event. Not to mention no Ultron Sentries to make it much worse.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did notice that, even tho they were theoretically changed to be neutral, some effects (specifically OBW blue) were still treating them as Enemy tiles.
    I would prefer it if they sometimes went off at the start of the player's turn, but I still didn't find it that bad. Got my 16 wins without using a health pack, since the X-Men have a lot of true-healers.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was worse the last time they ran it because Carol was boosted, so each timer gave the enemy team boosted special tiles.

That;s not to say it's not still unfair now...
  • NeonBlue
    edited October 2018
    Dormammu said:
    The lack of environmental or trap conditions, be they special tiles, or altering the shape of the board, or whatever, is one of the (many) reasons I love MPQ. While these are a minor inconvenience and exist in a very small number of events, I'm with the OP and would prefer they never show up at all.

Too many other match-3 games employ such tactics to try and freshen up game play. MPQ doesn't need that - the characters and their abilities do that.
    I agree to some extent. I have no problem with these special environment conditions as a concept, only that their implementation is one-sided. I'd be fine with them leaving them in, or hell even adding in more as long as:

1. Either they change the timing for when the tiles trigger or add tiles that trigger on both the end of your turn and the end of the AI's turn to even out the opportunities.

2. Any matches made during the neutral triggering window (ie. a direct result of the tiles going off) do not do damage or provide AP.

3. They are recoded to be truly neutral. This means that their countdowns exist as only an indication of when they'll go off, and do not directly interact with character abilities (I'm looking at you, C4rol). 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    I’d be happy with the extra tiles but they shouldn’t give the other team an advantage 

another example of this was earlier when I had a team with 5* goblin facing me and each turn his passive protected the tiles meaning I was guaranteed to take the damage 

oh well...combined arms in a couple of days 🙂
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very happy that De4dpool is boosted. Throwing out Countdown for What means the board destruction now works in my favor too.
  • NeonBlue
    Quebbster said:
    Very happy that De4dpool is boosted. Throwing out Countdown for What means the board destruction now works in my favor too.
    Can you imagine if the devs just decided to make these environment tiles a standard thing across the game? Certain characters would be super busted. The tiers would go some like:

Essential:
    Any character that can abuse environment tiles

Non-essential:
    Everyone else.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not morally opposed to "neutral" tiles, and certainly in the context of the "danger room," it makes sense that they are tweaked to favor the opponent. that's a room the x-men go into to put themselves in danger, after all. In Wakanda it felt less thematically appropriate since they were all named things that should have favored the wakandan royal family, or been mitigated by their abilities, but mostly ended up just making the event a real Problem for a lot of rosters. The one that should have showcased P4nther was really the 3* Loki show. I seem to recall one that might let Shuri shine some by increasing AP cost, but since nobody had either of those two characters at the first run, it wasn't really a slam dunk.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    XFDP' CDFW is nice.  If the hazard countdown destroys his tile, it does damage to enemy.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    My only issue with them is that if they do create a cascade all that ap goes to the enemy team. That's a bit annoying, other than that I think they add a little fun to the match
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m fine with one offseason event with these tiles.  It was not a big deal and changed things up.  I will also say it got the AI to fire 4csrols yellow on these tiles instead of saving it up for her black.  
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did notice that, even tho they were theoretically changed to be neutral, some effects (specifically OBW blue) were still treating them as Enemy tiles.
    I would prefer it if they sometimes went off at the start of the player's turn, but I still didn't find it that bad. Got my 16 wins without using a health pack, since the X-Men have a lot of true-healers.
    Are these hazard tiles actually counted as neutral?  I thought they only changed the Wakanda hazards (changing them to display as silver skulls).  These ones seem to still act as enemy countdown tiles for the purposes of any countdown related powers.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    Are these hazard tiles actually counted as neutral?  I thought they only changed the Wakanda hazards (changing them to display as silver skulls).  These ones seem to still act as enemy countdown tiles for the purposes of any countdown related powers.
    I thought I remembered them saying they were going to make them neutral for future runs after the nightmare that was the first run, with C4rol boosted. My memory is not the most reliable, tho.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really mind any pvp that doesn't require an essential character. I'm close to having done 50 matches and the tiles have really only had a negative impact on me in maybe two or three matches.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Agreed...just...just....agreed...
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    We still have Snowball fight PvP in December. Does anyone remember it?

It's a countdown tile too and it destroys the 8 tiles around it.
  • NeonBlue
    We still have Snowball fight PvP in December. Does anyone remember it?

It's a countdown tile too and it destroys the 8 tiles around it.
    Oh God. I've never participated, but it sounds like a nightmare.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I didn't mind this PVP at all.  It let me use my favorite team of JJ, Okoye and Thor. I ended up finishing 10th (by only 1 point) for my first t10 in a long time.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hated this PVP purely because of the dark energy tiles. They are simply an advantage to the opponents team, boosting their AP. I've never lost so many battles before in a PVP event. It seemed like the winner of the battle was determined solely upon the possible cascades from those tiles. At first, I tried to take advantage of the enemy CD tiles with Hawkguy, but I was still losing battles along the way.