Is it okay to cheat in Marvel PuzzleQuest?

Options
2»

Comments

• Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    After you boot her, tell her to app to Stark Tower. We'll gladly take a player like her.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After you boot her, tell her to app to Stark Tower. We'll gladly take a player like her.
    I was thinking about the same thing. Too bad my alliance is full at the moment. Like any alliance I would be glad to take in an active player who knows how to play the game.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments civil, and do not attack or insult other forum members. Thank you!
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I guess my big question is : why would your first assumption be that she is cheating?  That is what I don't understand.  There is absolutely nothing in her gameplay that shows she is cheating so why would that be your first thought?
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Also, to answer the OP's title concern, they do sandbox cheaters. The designers have access to a lot more data than you or I, and they can tell when a player is cheating. If we report a player to CS, and we notice that player is still around after awhile, more than likely, we were wrong.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OP, you really should consider what impression you make.
    As mentioned, you could have asked the player what her secret was, she would probably have told you.
    You could have started a thread here asking why she outscored you and you would have gotten an explanation how the boss point system works.

Instead, you assumed she was cheating somehow and contacted CS about it (they probably had a good laugh about it too) and when you didn't get a satisfactory answer from them you took the accusations public.
    Furthermore, you make a big deal about placement in the boss event, which is meaningless in an event with no placement awards.

Sure, some of the answers weren't very kind, but the approach you took and the assumptions you made are worthy of at least a light mocking. As you ask, you get answered.

And by the way, lots of high level players have successful careers and families. It's a tricky balance some time, but we make it work. Dismissing those who disagree with you isn't exactly going to endear yourself with the crowd. I applaud your attempts to build a better future though, hope it works out for you.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Options
    CP > score, when you are going to hit progression anyway. I love getting the first two rounds all to myself.
  • DarknessReigns
    DarknessReigns Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2018
    Options
    broll said:
    If you do it right you can do more than 6 times, which is what she's doing.  Clears you can do in the first 8 hours:
    1.  Everyone get's a free one at the start of the event.
    2.  Everyone get's a free one at the start of each round.
    3.  You get one after you clear a side node.
    4.  You get a free one 8 hours after your last boss defeat *unless a round clears or you do a side node before then*

What I usually do is:
    1st clear at start.
    2nd clear at start of round 2.
    3rd clear at start of round 3.
    4th-8th clears from nodes in round 4.
    9th. Wait for a round clear if we're close.
    10th -16th or 9th -15th clears from nodes in whatever round we're up to.
    etc.

Using this method I'm getting 8 clears in the first 8 hours and most of them are 4th round clears which are much higher points than earlier rounds.

DarknessReigns said:
    blah
    Take it down about 7 notches...  I agree with what those others said for one simple reason.  The fact that you came here most likely means you didn't even ask the player in your own alliance how she was beating you.  Instead you blindly reported here and then publicly accused her of cheating without letting her explain yourself.  Had you asked she's have told you the things we're telling you here and your whole alliance could be benefited.  (I'll give we don't use LINE and in-game chat is garbage as the only valid reason not to ask her before coming here with this post.)  You alliance members are you friends and allies, ask them what's up before accusing them of cheating, especially over something as petty as passing you in a non-placement thing like a boss event.
    Okay, then. Let's hear some more people chime in with what an idiot I am when I mention that I didn't do that because I didn't want to call her out in front of the whole Alliance. Furthermore, this isn't in front of everybody. I came here because I expected to find experienced, knowledgeable players from who I could find out why this was going on.(Which thankfully I did, with only a few very rotten apples turning up in that batch.)

Instead, I get attacked by a few because I spend my time productively--as a college student, that is--rather than living in the fantasy world of MPQ 24/7. I do apologize for having obligations that take precedence, especially when it is considered that I am also helping to care for my elderly parents. Yeah, I don't have much time to do anything other than bip in, hit it hard, and fade into the night. (Which is apparently the issue with the scoring, from what I've read.)

Who have I publically accused? Did I include names? The mods must have edited those out fast. Would I have fallen under less attack if I had made it a hypothetical situation? I might also add that assuming I'm using a forum name--(I'm not, but nobody asked)--no one could tie it to my Alliance anyway AND few of my Alliance members, if any, seem prone to use these forums anyway...admittedly, an assumption on my part, but we are more the active in-play type, and don't spend so much time on forums.

Moreso, for those blasting me about reporting her, you really should see how the report(s) plural went. BOTH times I asked the MPQ staff to just tell me how she was doing it and I would have no issues. It's been pointed out numerous times that D3GO! has very low tolerance for people reporting cheaters. Yes, whereas it should be low 'low tolerance for cheating\cheaters,' with D3GO! it's as I said; low tolerance for people who report potential cheaters. Both reports were the same as this forum post, just asking how it was possible. I'm not afraid to own my ignorance, no matter how many people may actively attack me for it. (I might also add that I never said she was cheating in those reports; I said she might be.)

And it helps if my entire post gets read. For the first time, I questioned it because her Roster literally did not have the firepower to last beyond Round 5!! i may not know how to score these Events, but I sure as hell know who can place where based on how stacked one's Roster is. Why is it when you guys cry about cheaters, it's all solid, but I ask a question seeking help and I'm targeted like an enemy fighter just because my question involves a teammate?

For the record. the first time I did mention it as casually as possible in Alliance chat, I got a very elusive answer.

If there's some sort of PM system, please educate me on how to use that, as some players here are talking like I'm the dumbest n00b on the planet! (Because I am getting a Bachelor's Degree, no less.) >_>
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    Options
    DarknessReigns said:

And it helps if my entire post gets read. For the first time, I questioned it because her Roster literally did not have the firepower to last beyond Round 5!!

First of all, like it or not, as others have said it is the tone you initially took that lead to the tone of the feedback.

But more to the point, it doesn't seem like you have as much of a handle on things as you think you do. This event in particular was arguably easiest just throwing a certain trio of 4*'s that happened to be boosted for this event.  Despite having thorkoye champed, I went with grockmoradusa to easily beat thanos through the entire event, including round 8. And with roster based scaling for side nodes, they may have had much easier opponents than you for those.  Additionally, not all characters are created equal...if they have 2 5*'s, but they are very strong, they could easily meet any current challenge in the game, where someone with a dozen bad to mediocre 5*'s may struggle. 
  • DarknessReigns
    DarknessReigns Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    DarknessReigns said:

And it helps if my entire post gets read. For the first time, I questioned it because her Roster literally did not have the firepower to last beyond Round 5!!

First of all, like it or not, as others have said it is the tone you initially took that lead to the tone of the feedback.

But more to the point, it doesn't seem like you have as much of a handle on things as you think you do. This event in particular was arguably easiest just throwing a certain trio of 4*'s that happened to be boosted for this event.  Despite having thorkoye champed, I went with grockmoradusa to easily beat thanos through the entire event, including round 8. And with roster based scaling for side nodes, they may have had much easier opponents than you for those.  Additionally, not all characters are created equal...if they have 2 5*'s, but they are very strong, they could easily meet any current challenge in the game, where someone with a dozen bad to mediocre 5*'s may struggle. 
    That clarifies some things. The first Event, however, was the Galactus one. It doesn't help, I realize, that I am not making myself clear as I need to. This is the culmination of two Events, several months apart. The first time was Galactus, and that was when her Roster was weak. (Maybe only three Champions in addition to the two fivers, with a minuscule Roster besides.)

The reason I thought this was an issue again here is because she's never scored like this, but considering the Event itself, and all the other ancillary information mentioned, that makes sense now. I have no issue with that. And her Roster is certainly more than capable of it. As many pointed out, rightly, I clearly had no idea how the scoring system worked in here. To that I own up.

As far as your opening comment, I disagree. My speech may have been blunted, but was not offensive enough to earn that degree of attack as came from the two posts that led to the one retracted post. The others I accepted on merit; I admit I deserved a certain amount of chastisement.

Here is the original post as it stood, with the only edit being the clarifying text at the end (in the interests of clarification):

Seems like a stupid question, doesn't it? I ask because I had a player (several months ago) show up out of the blue with only two five-stars on her roster and after missing THREE Rounds in an Alliance Event, she took it with #1. 

Now (in the current Alliance Event, Come 'N Get me) she missed a full Round, came in late on the second Round and is #1, even though I and another big hitter cleaned out Round #1 ourselves. 

I haven't lost any of the missions or Rounds, but did have to replay ONE Mission, which doesn't affect scoring. She's now number one again. Someone give me a damn good reason for how this can be, or I'm kicking. (She was reported the first time to D3Go. They laughed it off, as usual.) >_>

Clarification: I've made ALL the Round Start Boss Battles (from when you clear out a previous Round) and I've made every single mission and Boss Battle and cleared them on the first try otherwise. (With the exception noted above.)

It doesn't really matter anyway. I'm done with this. I will try to keep up with this, but as I said, I have other, more pressing, concerns demanding my attention. Maybe I'll do what certain hostiles on the thread want me to do and leave the Alliance after making the player I mentioned the new Commander. >_> (Which is sad, as I was made Commander because I was the most active player during a vicious slump for our Alliance. One it took us a LONG time to pull out of.) 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Borstock said:
    This happens all the time. It isn't cheating. 

At first, I thought you meant their roster was literally two five stars and no one else. THAT would be a neat trick. 
    That's exactly how I read it at first. If she was playing events with just two characters that would be not just cheating but stoopid cheating...

And how do people cheat at this game anyway? Seems like a fairly tightly closed system, at least o iOS...
  • Yepyep
    Options
    robertbah said:
    Do you know that you can hit the boss node 6 times for each 8hr reset? If you ALWAYS clear 6 times and still score less than her, it will be very interesting.
    Could you please explain the process/timing on this? I, at least, would find it helpful.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    robertbah said:
    Do you know that you can hit the boss node 6 times for each 8hr reset? If you ALWAYS clear 6 times and still score less than her, it will be very interesting.
    Could you please explain the process/timing on this? I, at least, would find it helpful.
    The boss node unlocks every 8 hours. If you wait for the boss node to unlock before you tackle a refresh, you'll get six hits at the boss to go with your five side pins. If you jump on the side pins the second the refresh hits, before the boss has had a chance to unlock again, you'll get your five side pins, each of which will unlock the boss once, for 5+5.
  • Yepyep
    Options
    DFiPL said:
    Yepyep said:
    robertbah said:
    The boss node unlocks every 8 hours. If you wait for the boss node to unlock before you tackle a refresh, you'll get six hits at the boss to go with your five side pins. If you jump on the side pins the second the refresh hits, before the boss has had a chance to unlock again, you'll get your five side pins, each of which will unlock the boss once, for 5+5.
    Oh, OK. So basically just always play the round only when you can both start and finish with the boss, right? Makes sense, but I hadn't ever thought of this before...
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    DFiPL said:
    Yepyep said:
    robertbah said:
    Oh, OK. So basically just always play the round only when you can both start and finish with the boss, right? Makes sense, but I hadn't ever thought of this before...
    Basically! Unlike a regular Story event, being optimal with your clears doesn't super matter, except to the extent that the faster the entire alliance clears rounds, the easier it is to finish the event before the scaling goes bonkers.

But you don't have to be there right at the 8h refresh to clear ALL the things to hit personal progression, and waiting the extra half hour (or so, could be less, could be more, depending on how quickly you finished your last set of clears) for the boss to unlock means an extra boss fight's worth of points toward alliance progression. There's no placement, so doing your clears 30m into an 8h refresh cycle doesn't hurt you.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,922 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Nevermind. Pmming instead. 
  • Arks
    Arks Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2018
    Options
    (She was reported the first time to D3Go. They laughed it off, as usual.) >_>
    Gee I wonder why, when people waste customer service's time by making false reports. Why didn't you just ask her how she was scoring more instead

//Removed Insults and Provocative Comments -Brigby
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Closing this thread as the player's main concern / question has been answered, and this thread is starting to get a bit too heated.
This discussion has been closed.