Petition : Rune Grindfest

Options
Laeuftbeidir
Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I know there are still some players out there with multiple million runes. That's not irrelevant, but they're the minority.. Even most of us oldies who did enjoy QB  are short now.

All released walkers add up to around 6 million runes to level, ignoring deck slots. Hibernum took over around a year ago - and offered so many and expensive walkers, that they alone add up to 40% of the overall rune amount. They throw walker after walker at us, but I can't keep up to level them by playing every single event we've got.
I buy the walkers with gold - why should I pay cash for something I won't be able to enjoy in the near future?

The only light at the Horizont was the first beta of the duel decks.

Now, why don't you add an event every couple of weeks with extreme fast charges (if at all) and 1.000 runes per win? Straight pvp, no progression or ranking rewards required.
Or you fix duel decks that way. I don't care, but the rune shortage is a problem for the players and the devs alike.

If someone wants the detailed numbers, feel free to ask.

Comments

• Furks
    Furks Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm still advocating for removing runes all together. Just have planes walkers be max level or have them lvl by playing. There are plenty of other resources to chase nowadays. 

Or just give us more runes... 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    Furks said:
    I'm still advocating for removing runes all together. Just have planes walkers be max level or have them lvl by playing. There are plenty of other resources to chase nowadays. 

Or just give us more runes... 
    Yeah, totally agree with you here. This is just an attempt to make the situation better, but won't help with the root of it.
    They could also just give out a million runes, then I could level all my walkers ;)
    (I actually need 900k to level those I've already have!)

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have to at least mention, the rune cost of all these planeswalkers is not 100% their fault. They’re following the release schedule from the paper game, and have given us the planeswalkers that mirror that.

They could have adjusted how much leveling costs, or given more runes, I agree. But the fact that so many of the new planeswalkers are multicolor is on Wizards.

On the bright side, this should calm down for a bit soon as Guilds of Ravnica only has two planeswalkers as opposed to the 3-5 that other sets get. So it should give a chance to catch up even if no chances are made. 
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Walker runes levels were set back in QB times and have not been adjusted to reflect the current accumulation rate. Either we need a rune grind fest or the costs need to be adjusted.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The best option is to level up without runes. But from a programming standpoint, increasing runes is much easier. I don't see how hard it is to up TG to 1500 runes a win
     or more.

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Theros said:
    The best option is to level up without runes. But from a programming standpoint, increasing runes is much easier. I don't see how hard it is to up TG to 1500 runes a win
     or more.

1500 is a little excessive.  I feel like it should take some grinding to max out a walker.  I mean, at the current game state it takes about 1-2 weeks to level a mono color just playing progression in everything but ToTP.  With some grind time it can be done in a couple days.  A dual color walker takes 4-5 weeks (ish, haven't gotten anyone new and clocked it in a while).

But I agree grinding heroic encounters for 250 runes per win is really boring.  Upping TG to 300 would suffice.
    Of course there are much better options out there (an xp system instead of runes, a new version of Quick Battle, the same system but more frequent events...ect), but changing a "100" to a "300" is definitely the easiest.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    wereotter said:
    I have to at least mention, the rune cost of all these planeswalkers is not 100% their fault. They’re following the release schedule from the paper game, and have given us the planeswalkers that mirror that.

They could have adjusted how much leveling costs, or given more runes, I agree. But the fact that so many of the new planeswalkers are multicolor is on Wizards.
    Yes'n.
    Ted and nissa 4 aren't part of wizards schedule, are they? Adding another 400k runes to the list (yeah.. Not everyone is a completionist), during the extension with the most pws we've ever had, while players complain about the shortage for months.
    But I agree with you, they mostly follow what they're given.
    I don't care what exactly they do, I just want that something is done.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Its not the fault of the people who invented runes?  :D:D:D:D:D
    I mean, you can blame them.  They went out of business, though, so I doubt your complaints will really gain much traction.

Oktagon seems like they don't want to mess too much with the base game itself from what they inherited.  That means major structural changes probably won't happen, at least not for a long while.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Theros said:
     or more.

1500 is a little excessive.  I feel like it should take some grinding to max out a walker.  I mean, at the current game state it takes about 1-2 weeks to level a mono color just playing progression in everything but ToTP.  With some grind time it can be done in a couple days.  A dual color walker takes 4-5 weeks (ish, haven't gotten anyone new and clocked it in a while).

But I agree grinding heroic encounters for 250 runes per win is really boring.  Upping TG to 300 would suffice.
    Of course there are much better options out there (an xp system instead of runes, a new version of Quick Battle, the same system but more frequent events...ect), but changing a "100" to a "300" is definitely the easiest.
    Grinding is not what MTG should be and not many has that time on hand. It take more than 2 weeks to level a mono PWs to 60 less than that s not possible. From my own experience, it takes 3 to 4 weeks.

Three options are available:
    1)  increase runes 
    2)  Decrease leveling cost
    3) ditch runes for something more innovative.

I don't like option 3 because I like instant gratification when PWs are at 60. Leveling up from 1 to 60 is to painful.
    Option 2 is the best. Decrease leveling cost and keep everything the same.

Come to think of it, I don't they have the intention to ever make it easy to level  PWs. We made requests for months even before octagon. The changes to the duel should gave us a clue already. The changes into Beta 2 and adding timers is really to limit the 1200 runes grindfest. i don't believe the changes were made cause too much rewards were handed. They could have nerfed the rewards and not add timer 
    I bet their philosophy is that ppl wont spend if content are easy to get with higher level PWs. It's also a way to keep players hooked to the game; play more if you want to level up 

• Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'll bring up my suggestion for planeswalker leveling again: get rid of runes, and at the start of each battle, allow the player to choose which level they want their PW to play at.  Set the opposing planeswalker to match.  There, problem solved.  Want to grind through TG in just a few minutes?  Go in with your PW at low-level on a fast deck.  Need maximum abilities for your PvE battle?  60 it is.  And look, we just solved all smurfing problems.  No longer can you submit a level 1 walker, match to a low-level opponent and then bring in your high-level walker to crush it.  No longer can you avoid veteran players with all level 60 walkers just by staying below 50.  Just on
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had so much fun doing a big grind with the first duel decks than I have since QB went away. I would love more of this. 

• Zephlon
    Zephlon Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think it's great that there's a resource that makes people think carefully about their purchasing decisions in this game. It creates variety. Folks will buy the planeswalkers they want/can afford, and build the absolute best decks they can with them, often catching people off- guard. All the while, making them better deck builders and players.

I do, however, feel like story mode should offer up more runes to help newer players. 
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Theros - here is an idea for this:

3) ditch runes for something more innovative.”

Why not eliminatebrunes altogether? Or if you want to keep them, leave them just for buying extra deck slots.

Thenbhave all PWs start at Level 1 and the only way you can level them is by playing them. Just like card mastery. Except the more you play that PW, the more he levels up. You could even make deck slots only buyable at certain levels, etc. this encouraging players to level them up. There’s lots of ways to make the game more exciting.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My old suggestion is still relevant:

When you master a card with a planeswalker you get a burst of experience on that planeswalker AND a handful of runes to use as you want.

So if you want to level a particular person you can start grinding with them specifically (from low level even!) and master unmastered cards with them.  This becomes a kinds of "mini-challenge" and adds strategic choice to what you play with who (especially after a new set release!)
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There are quite a few solid ideas here . Regardless of the how of it, it's pretty obvious we want to be able to level our planeswalkers more easily. Personally , I don't even like testing low level walkers . Everything about them will be different maxed , and I don't use sub 56 pws in events. I'm once again at a point where I only have one pw left to level, but a new set is imminent . I'd love to get on top of things again