Duel Decks - Open To All! (10/9/18)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin

Hi Everyone,

We want to thank all the players that participated in the beta for Duel Decks. The team has been reviewing all the feedback and data that players have provided, and using it to fine-tune the event. 

After going through two different iterations of it, the team is excited to announce that the event is ready to be open to all players! This Saturday will mark the first ever public run of the Zendikar vs Eldrazi Duel Decks event. If you weren't a part of the beta, and want to learn more about Duel Decks, then check out the blog post below:
In addition, we would like to invite everyone to freely discuss the Duel Decks event in the forum! Thank you so much to all the participants, and we hope everyone enjoys the event!

Comments

• rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @Brigby thank you all for this new event. The whole idea is fresh and I hope it will get to a good end. Having the Betas has been a nicw way of getting it inyo the game.

Could be possible to have a list of the changes made from the beta to the version that is going to be played this weekend. I mean starting and ending time of each phase, node refreshing timers in the second and third phases, number of charges in each phase, objectives...

Thank you in advance.

• Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks for that, can't wait to see what that final version will look like but its definitely a great event in my opinion.
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks @Brigby! I hope you won't run this event simultaneously with another coalition event!
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Machine said:
    Thanks @Brigby! I hope you won't run this event simultaneously with another coalition event!
    What do you mean by "another" coalition event. This is not a coalition event.

And what's the harm in running a coalition event with it simultaneously
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    khurram said:
    Machine said:
    What do you mean by "another" coalition event. This is not a coalition event.

And what's the harm in running a coalition event with it simultaneously

Time pressure. Time pressure = harm to daily life, explicitly.

An event with zero time pressure could be run but not a coalition one, people would want to play new duel decks but be obligated to play old compulsory coalition event.

• Brigby
    Options
    rafalele said:
    Brigby thank you all for this new event. The whole idea is fresh and I hope it will get to a good end. Habing the Betas has been a nicw way of getting it inyo the game.

Could be possible to have a list of the changes made from the beta to the version that is going to be played this weekend. I mean starting and ending time of each phase, node refreshing timers in the second and third phases, number of charges in each phase, objectives...

Thank you in advance.
    Sure! I'll ping the team and see if I can get an overview of what changes were made from beta to live.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    rafalele said:
    Brigby thank you all for this new event. The whole idea is fresh and I hope it will get to a good end. Habing the Betas has been a nicw way of getting it inyo the game.

Thank you in advance.
    Sure! I'll ping the team and see if I can get an overview of what changes were made from beta to live.
    Thank you @Brigby
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kinesia said:

An event with zero time pressure could be run but not a coalition one, people would want to play new duel decks but be obligated to play old compulsory coalition event.

@Kinesia What you said is especially true if they use the format in Beta #1 for phase 3.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    Kinesia said:

@Kinesia What you said is especially true if they use the format in Beta #1 for phase 3.
    I
     personally see "unlimited charges" without progression or ranking reward as a no pressure environment. I can play as much as I like and don't lose anything if I don't like playing. Beta 2 was way less relaxed to me
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think its rather gonna be like Beta2 and that the timer for Beta1 was mistakingly put at 05:00 (5 minutes) instead of 05:00:00 (5 hours).
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ArielSira said:
    I think its rather gonna be like Beta2 and that the timer for Beta1 was mistakingly put at 05:00 (5 minutes) instead of 05:00:00 (5 hours).
    It was 10 minutes and 5 and a half hours. Not a mistake of a missing 0.

I dont see any pressure at all with either format. The first beta was a free for all grind at runes that you could opt to do as little or as much of as you wanted with little impact on the outcome.

The other had so few charges to play over the course of the duel/final duel that it basically had no effect on play time outside of the event.
  • Brigby
    Options
    Hi Everyone. Once I gather all the information I need, I'll be sure to create an Event Detail page for Zendikar vs Eldrazi. In the meantime though, here is a brief overview of some of the battle details that were changed:

Phase Start/End Times
    • Challenge Phase: 22h -> 18h
    • Duel Phase: 8h -> 18h
    • Final Duel Phase: 24h -> 12h
    • Total: 54h -> 48h
    Objectives - Playing As Nissa (PvE)
    • Call to Arms: Create 16 or more Creature Tokens... -> Create 22 or more Creature Tokens...
    • Spell Caster -> Bounty Hunter: Deal 20 or more damage to a Planeswalker during a turn.
    Objectives - Playing As Nissa (PvP)
    • Geomancer -> Prodigal: Win with only cards that costs 11 or more mana.
    • Ambush -> Pauper: Win with only Common and Uncommon cards.
    Objectives - Playing as The Eldrazi (PvE)
    • Call to Arms: Create 16 or more Creature Tokens... -> Create 20 or more Creature Tokens...
    • Striker -> Mightstone: Cast 3 or more creatures with power 6 or more.
    Objectives - Playing As The Eldrazi (PvP)
    • Emrakul's Emergence -> Prodigal: Win with only cards that costs 11 or more mana.
    • Artificer -> Pauper: Win with only Common and Uncommon cards.
    Charges
    • Initial Charges: 2 -> 0
    • Maximum Charges: No change
    • Recharge Time: 10 min -> 5 hrs 30 min
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby

Dude. Come on. Did they actually read the feedback we gave them? Tell the guys building this event that if this is actually the final iteration we end up with, then they have officially dookied in the bed. The second version of this event was by far worse than the first, largely because of the changes made to the objectives. We want objectives that don't slow us down or dictate specific play styles. These do exactly the opposite of what we want.
  • thesmallesthuman
    thesmallesthuman Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    Yeah, above list is confusing and potentially upsetting. This looks like the list of changes from version 1 to version 2. Which were, as mentioned above, universally disliked and I’m sure the feedback forms have made that clear by now. 

I could personally care less about the objectives, I’ll plow through any weird deck a few times and I like building around challenges. But the lack of charges is painful, especially considering this is in place of an actual event this weekend. One game every 5.5 hours is seriously all we get to play this weekend? My coalition is a ghost town right now because there’s already nothing to do in game. At least let us grind!

Please please tell me this is a misunderstanding and that this is the old list and there’s a new list of updates for the upcoming event that reflects the desires of your players.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My coalition is a ghost town right now because there’s already nothing to do in game. At least let us grind!

Please please tell me this is a misunderstanding and that this is the old list and there’s a new list of updates for the upcoming event that reflects the desires of your players.
    This is a really good point. No one in my coalition is looking forward to Duel Decks with no other events as it was -- when they find out it's going to be like last weekend (all 20 of us were in the beta). They're going to completely check out. This game is not fun when we have nothing to talk about and no reason to log in. 

Please add another event and ask the devs to take our feedback to heart. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bring back the lightning round!
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is awful. I guess the only thing good about the beta was that beta 1 was awesome. You guys suck. You absolutely suck because you sucked all the fun out of it. What a waste.
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was already pretty sour on communication with the powers that be, but what this is telling me is that the wishes of the player base don't matter a lick . First round of the beta was sweet . Free for all grindfest , great rewards , fun objectives. Second is universally liked less because all incentive to play was removed (rewards and runes) charges went from unlimited to a single match every 5.5 hours. So what do we get in place of a coalition event ? Roughly an hour of content spread out over 48. Super awesome . Thanks guys !