Bolas the Undead [Fixed]

Options

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just hope this ends before the next refresh in a few hours.   Then it'll really get nutty.

@Oktagon_Daiane what's going on?
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is typical.

Take one of the most hated events. Tell everyone to kill him off faster so the event can end. Then force them to play crummy event.

Cool. Maybe we should start asking for the event so they don’t give it to us. That seems to be the running rule.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Time to aim for -100%!!!
  • timthes
    timthes Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    MistBird8 said:
    Szamsziel said:
    I wonder how the % is actually calculated. The only equation comes to mind is (life total - damage taken)/life total  * 100? 
    Missing is
    If x<=0
       Boss is dead. Can't start new     
         games. 
    End
    Probably the code is If x==0 ,  it went below 0 and nothing was triggered
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Question: is it considered cheating if we play extra charges? @Brigby
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If not, should be said early, in order to recover the position in the coalition board.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,229 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We have to keep playing the nodes, guys. We might finally break through into the Matrix, where we can see all the buggy code for ourselves.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Gabrosin said:
    All hail Bolas the Eternal!  He has accomplished his mission on Ravnica, and now he's immortal.  We'll continue playing this event FOR THE REST OF TIME.

Thank you for making me laugh very loudly at work.  This just made my Monday.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

if you manually circumvented the event through some steps, yes, absolutely!

But since there are no steps to circumvent the event that allows you to play extra charges and you have no choice but to do so upon entering the event with absolutely no part on your behalf triggering this glitch... then no... it isn't cheating. not even by a long shot.

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm betting this event ends on the timer.

Settle in, people.
  • BlessedOne
    BlessedOne Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    Options
    As the title says... no one else has made a forum post.
    Still running.
    What's the issue with the event?
    As of this post, we are 1 hour from another charge.

//Edited Title -Brigby

• Sarahschmara
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:

But since there are no steps to circumvent the event that allows you to play extra charges and you have no choice but to do so upon entering the event with absolutely no part on your behalf triggering this glitch... then no... it isn't cheating. not even by a long shot.

I disagree. One of the most compelling arguments I heard was that to be considered cheating one must knowingly act outside of the rules. In this case, we all know the rules state that the event ends at 0%. 

Besides, the legacy-in-standard exploit could easily be triggered by using assigned PWs in story mode between matches. It’s not intuitive to me that I shouldn’t play story mode with those PWs while waiting for my nodes to recharge. 

In this case, I’m willing to believe that people simply saw they had charges and continued to play. Innocent mistake. But everyone now aware that something has definitely gone wrong and is purposefully taking advantage of an error in the code.

Again, I think it’s right to give players the benefit of the doubt for isolated instances. But isn’t it also right to expect that follow the rules when one is made aware of them?

Where do we draw the line? Is it manually taking extra steps? Is it ignoring the rules? What do you think? 

*I’m not trying to start a fight rather perhaps we could have a respectful philosophical discussion? We all have a knee jerk reaction “I’m not a cheater.” And morality is a sliding scale—we clearly have different thresholds and I’m interested in exploring that in a nonjudgemental way.* Might as well kill some time while we wait for this infernal event to end. Currently -9% health. 
  • Mburn7
    Options
    @Brigby @Oktagon_Daiane @Tombstone @Dev_Team_in_General

There is now less than 1 hour until the next node refresh.  Bolas is at -9%.  Any updates before we need to fight over playing another round?
  • Sarahschmara
    Options
    Hopefully it’ll be fixed when they get into the office at 9. Unless they planned on taking today off to buy discount mattresses.

Happy Indigenous People Day, USA! :)
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:

I disagree. One of the most compelling arguments I heard was that to be considered cheating one must knowingly act outside of the rules. In this case, we all know the rules state that the event ends at 0%. 

Besides, the legacy-in-standard exploit could easily be triggered by using assigned PWs in story mode between matches. It’s not intuitive to me that I shouldn’t play story mode with those PWs while waiting for my nodes to recharge. 

In this case, I’m willing to believe that people simply saw they had charges and continued to play. Innocent mistake. But everyone now aware that something has definitely gone wrong and is purposefully taking advantage of an error in the code.

Again, I think it’s right to give players the benefit of the doubt for isolated instances. But isn’t it also right to expect that follow the rules when one is made aware of them?

Where do we draw the line? Is it manually taking extra steps? Is it ignoring the rules? What do you think? 

*I’m not trying to start a fight rather perhaps we could have a respectful philosophical discussion? We all have a knee jerk reaction “I’m not a cheater.” And morality is a sliding scale—we clearly have different thresholds and I’m interested in exploring that in a nonjudgemental way.* Might as well kill some time while we wait for this infernal event to end. Currently -9% health. 
    I'll go back to my argument from before.

As long as you aren't using any outside code or modifying the game code, you should be able to do what is allowed in the game without it being cheating.

Its like how players aim fly balls for the short porch in Right Field at Yankee Stadium (baseball, for those that don't know).  You can hit a ball that would be an out in any other ballpark, but its a home run there.

Its like how you hit lots of lobs on a sunny day in Tennis so that your opponent gets blinded by the sun when they look up, or hit low balls on a windy day so they get dust and clay blown in their eyes.

Its like purposely hitting a ball into a hazard in Golf because you get to drop on the other side of it and not bother taking the risk of laying up and hitting another shot over it.

Its like giving someone a hard bump in Basketball when they are making a cut through the lane to try and throw off their timing and stop them from getting the ball.

Are all of those things questionable things to do in their respective games?  Yes.
    Are all of those things something that will not get you the respect of your peers?  Yes.
    Are all of them valid strategies to win without technically breaking the rules, but by playing a little dirty?  Absolutely.

In an app, the code is the absolute arbiter of the law.  If the code allows it, can you really consider it illegal?  Just like how if the refs allow something in a game, it is a legal maneuver.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby and @Oktagon_Daiane can someone terminate this thing?
  • Sarahschmara
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Gunmix25 said:

As long as you aren't using any outside code or modifying the game code, you should be able to do what is allowed in the game without it being cheating.

Its like how players aim fly balls for the short porch in Right Field at Yankee Stadium (baseball, for those that don't know).  You can hit a ball that would be an out in any other ballpark, but its a home run there.

Its like how you hit lots of lobs on a sunny day in Tennis so that your opponent gets blinded by the sun when they look up, or hit low balls on a windy day so they get dust and clay blown in their eyes.

Its like purposely hitting a ball into a hazard in Golf because you get to drop on the other side of it and not bother taking the risk of laying up and hitting another shot over it.

Its like giving someone a hard bump in Basketball when they are making a cut through the lane to try and throw off their timing and stop them from getting the ball.

Are all of those things questionable things to do in their respective games?  Yes.
    Are all of those things something that will not get you the respect of your peers?  Yes.
    Are all of them valid strategies to win without technically breaking the rules, but by playing a little dirty?  Absolutely.

In an app, the code is the absolute arbiter of the law.  If the code allows it, can you really consider it illegal?  Just like how if the refs allow something in a game, it is a legal maneuver.
    The tennis analogy is great over in the safe rant thread BTW. 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Boss is currently at -9% with less than 4 minutes to recharge. Ummmmm....
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Gunmix25 said:

The tennis analogy is great over in the safe rant thread BTW. 
    It is.  I tried to do another one without copying it, but its not quite as good