A Modest Proposal (Post-Iso)

jackstar0
jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
We need to start eating chil-- wait nevermind, a different proposal.

I'd like to be able to trade Iso for Tokens again. Personally, not standards, but even that would be something.

Please consider giving us an outlet for Iso we can't use on characters.

I know those of us with this issue are probably few, but it's a silly problem to have an in-game currency that can't be depleted in an appreciable way.

Otherwise, slowly, but surely people will graduate out of needing iso... and then what is there?

Comments

• BigBZ32
    BigBZ32 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    I'm not quite here yet, but know people who have nothing to use iso on and this makes a lot of sense to bring back if not something better.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    My ISO deficit is close to 10M. I've got 24 fully covered 4*s waiting for the ISO bank to start paying out, and another 10 only 1-2 covers away. I'd like to suggest an ISO lottery, where you can spend 500 ISO to buy an ISO lotto ticket and have the chance to win a huge amount.

I realize this isn't the question asked, but I'm having trouble even imagining not needing ISO.

As for conversion of ISO to RISO, if we look at event rewards, in SCL 8 getting all the progression rewards gives you 15,000 ISO and 14,725 RISO, so in that economy it is almost 1 to 1.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    How about 100K ISO for a 4* champ level? Not a cover for a character with less than 13, but strictly a champ level. I doubt a player with a big ISO deficit would find that attractive, but it would give something to those who are ISO positive (I'm about 2.5M positive now).

Given the rate which I gain ISO, this would be 2 - 3 extra 4* champ levels each week, or about the same as what I get from PVP progression rewards.So it wouldn't be a game breaker, but it might be nice.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would be nice to have something to do with my 2.1M purple iso.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards

I hit post-Iso a few months ago - you get there eventually though to be fair I started playing the game a few months into its creation, so I seldom got characters faster than I could level them. Of course, until the champ system was implemented the idea of "wasting" covers didn't exist, either.  I'd welcome any way to make a dent in my 3.7 million Iso - I boost pretty much all the time and it still goes up.  I suspect post-Iso players are in a tiny, tiny minority, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens.

Incidentally, classy reference to the Swift essay. Never read it, but I've heard of it as Larry Niven wrote an essay called "Another Modest Proposal" where he advocated using nuclear waste as currency (he gave many good points, but the best was that a good economy relies on currency being spent quickly...)

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    A simple solution could be to open up token purchases if your entire roster is level capped. Aside from a brief period during transitions you should only be fully level capped when you're truly post iso.
    I dunno, I feel like I'm treading water with iso from the 5*s so I don't think it'll ever really happen for me.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I'd swap all my red iso (110k+) for purple iso in a second, if conversion was possible.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 4* cover (targeted) costs 120CP so it's unlikely to be 120k ISO for a champ level because that's putting a cost of 1000 ISO per CP (which seems cheap) and an LT therefore costing 20k/25k Iso. If you were able to buy LTs then I'd expect 4 or 5 times that amount. 

At present HfH costs 3600HP for a targeted cover so 30HP per CP but that's a limited time offer every 5 days and therefore around a year until it cycles. 

They'll never sell CPs for an in-game currency that is given freely because that invalidates the incentives for purchases. I can see the logic in offering champ levels for HP but that takes me off topic...
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree with OP.  5.2 million iso and I've pretty much soft capped all 5s.  I don't include Hulk.  He's not a real 5.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    Agree with OP.  5.2 million iso and I've pretty much soft capped all 5s.  I don't include Hulk.  He's not a real 5.

My roster is entirely soft-capped, I figured I may as well - I literally have nothing else to do with the Iso.

To those not there yet - you will probably get there eventually so long as you play the game regularly.  The Lightning Rounds, in particular, are a good source of quick Iso.  Just make sure you're logged in when they start and you can generally consume about 10 rounds so long as you don't focus on one node - then fight one normally if you want the extra standard token.  Use Thanos,a regenerator or an character you don't care to lose health for, and the loaner (3* Thanos will still do, though you may have to hit the loaner a few more times.)  It goes very quickly if you have 5* match damage - one match, "Court Death," then maybe a bit of wrap up if you don't have 5* Thanos.

• Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    12.8M iso and counting.  The reward I see most in the game is worth exactly zero.  And more and more players are reaching this point every day.

OJSP, your logic is flawed.  Sure, you could cycle 3’s to 167, but that would mean you spend 14 3* covers to get a token and no other champ rewards.  If you go all the way to 266, it’s 5 tokens and 50 cp. so that averages to 16 3* covers per token(or 25 cp).  So for that extra 2 3* covers you get 3 4* covers and a bunch of HP.  The iso amount is not important.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
     That is somewhat insulting to those who are still grinding for iso. I’m saying there are several ways.
    Please to explain the insult. I labeled the thread as being about post-iso.

I went through scrounging for every bit of iso I could get and clawed my way out of the hole.

I think that's a bad thing for the game (to have no other outlets for this resource), because any post-scarcity economy doesn't have the same rules as any we are used to.

If a Classic Legend or LL could be purchased with some hopefully not totally absurd amount of purple Iso, that would be a nice outlet for people at this stage of the game who now have a largely valueless in-game resource.
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP said:
    OJSP, your logic is flawed.  Sure, you could cycle 3’s to 167, but that would mean you spend 14 3* covers to get a token and no other champ rewards.  If you go all the way to 266, it’s 5 tokens and 50 cp. so that averages to 16 3* covers per token(or 25 cp).  So for that extra 2 3* covers you get 3 4* covers and a bunch of HP.  The iso amount is not important.
    I know the maths. The purpose is not to get more rewards, it’s to spend the iso. I’m just bored of seeing people talking about having iso with nothing to spend on. That is somewhat insulting to those who are still grinding for iso. I’m saying there are several ways.

<snip>
    Is it insulting to those looking for employment if I say I'm not looking for a job when I have stable employment?

I do however get your point. It's a really stupid idea, but it is a way to spend Iso. No offense. ;)
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 2-4* roster (including dupes) is entirely softcapped... with the exception of 5’s... all those are level 255.  I currently have 1.1 million iso.  I can’t imagine what my iso deficit would be if I wanted to soft-cap everything. Might have to figure that out one day when I’m bored. 
  • Straycat
    I thought soft capping meant you don't level them all the way. Thats the way we called it for keeping a 5 underleveled for scaling, right?  So a 5 at 255 is softcapped, because even at 1 cover they can go to 270. Then they would be hard capped.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    But OP is looking for a way to spend iso and get some other resource.  Building to 167 and selling is burning iso and getting nothing in return, thanks to the other cp/4* covers you’ll be giving up.  
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    I thought soft capping meant you don't level them all the way. Thats the way we called it for keeping a 5 underleveled for scaling, right?  So a 5 at 255 is softcapped, because even at 1 cover they can go to 270. Then they would be hard capped.
    Soft capping means different things to different people and I've seen several people talk about different types of soft capping.

1.  Leveling to some optimal level before the level required to champ (This is usually where ISO spend is as low as possible to get the character to a 'usable' state).
    2.  Leveling to the cap imposed by not having enough covers.

I personally think both are fine uses of the term, though it's confusing for people to use both interchangeably.  Calling #2 a hard cap would be confusing in the same way IMO with 2 different definitions for the same term.  The better solution would be a totally different term.  Cover Capping?
  • Straycat
    broll said:
    Straycat said:
    Soft capping means different things to different people and I've seen several people talk about different types of soft capping.

1.  Leveling to some optimal level before the level required to champ (This is usually where ISO spend is as low as possible to get the character to a 'usable' state).
    2.  Leveling to the cap imposed by not having enough covers.

I personally think both are fine uses of the term, though it's confusing for people to use both interchangeably.  Calling #2 a hard cap would be confusing in the same way IMO with 2 different definitions for the same term.  The better solution would be a totally different term.  Cover Capping?
    I tend to say level maxed to avoid confusion, but I wanted to make the distinction between what I think soft vs hard cap is.
    I think saying your entire roster is hard capped makes more sense, because it covers those you champed and those you are limited by covers. Saying your entire roster is soft capped sounds like you have 0 champs.