Steam users - no Dino for you!

2»

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    All of the info I have ever encountered up until now has stated that mobile and Steam/console is completely segregated. If that's not the case then maybe I was just misunderstanding what people were saying about being able to play the same account between platforms.

And if I have been playing with Steam/console players all of this time, then why have I never encountered an Iron Patriot in the wild?
    What info? Because that has literally never been the case. We've always been in one big pot.

Otherwise my alliance would be top 100 every event. I'd always hit top 10 even in bad finishes due to work.

As for Iron Patriot, they were only on the console version. I think *that* is where you're getting confused. The console version isn't the same game at all, it's a single player story based game where progression is entirely linear.
  • tchipley
    tchipley Posts: 63 Match Maker

Not every platform supports every giveaway. Depending on where you live and local taxes, you might be paying more for certain in-game resources. Nothing will ever be perfectly even, and that shouldn't mean giveaways and sales shouldn't exist.
    It appears they could Iike when we all got an Anniversary token this week regardless of platform.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    tchipley said:

Not every platform supports every giveaway. Depending on where you live and local taxes, you might be paying more for certain in-game resources. Nothing will ever be perfectly even, and that shouldn't mean giveaways and sales shouldn't exist.
    It appears they could Iike when we all got an Anniversary token this week regardless of platform.
    I think it's different when they require you to click and activate a thing compared to just pushing out a bit of data that give a player a thing.

For this to work, they'd need to ditch the hoop to jump through and just give away a free Dino to everyone. And i'm fine with that, but I imagine the "Click thing to get thing" thing is for metrics and data and.......things.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    SnowcaTT said:
    <snip>

Assuming you were at NYCC, you’ll also have the picture that was taken as a part of the promotion that this is a part of.  Put a ticket into CS with that and they can get the cover popped over for PC users.
    This makes me laugh IceIX. I have that link above because it's flying around all over - for free distribution among the community. If this was a "limited" giveaway, it could be a short/limited amount (first come first served) at comic con, just like many Marvel Insider codes are.

This is just a suggestion that makes the mobile "gateway" more strictly gated. If D3/Demi is interested in giving out this kind of promotion, why not make it open to every account: "D3 thanks you for visiting us at comic con" pop-up and a cover for everyone in the game, like has been done many times (and was done recently with an anniversary token).

There is no reason to both gate off free rewards to some (be it those who are on social platforms or different gaming platforms) and make it freely available for others. When the rewards are of higher quality (4* instead of 3*) or higher rarity, this gated giveaway becomes all the more discriminatory.

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    All of the info I have ever encountered up until now has stated that mobile and Steam/console is completely segregated. If that's not the case then maybe I was just misunderstanding what people were saying about being able to play the same account between platforms.

And if I have been playing with Steam/console players all of this time, then why have I never encountered an Iron Patriot in the wild?
    What info? Because that has literally never been the case. We've always been in one big pot.

Otherwise my alliance would be top 100 every event. I'd always hit top 10 even in bad finishes due to work.

As for Iron Patriot, they were only on the console version. I think *that* is where you're getting confused. The console version isn't the same game at all, it's a single player story based game where progression is entirely linear.
    Yep, I didn't realize the console version was a different game and I also thought Steam and the console versions were in one pot, and mobile in another. I think I misunderstood what was being implied by all of the comments I've seen over the years about not being able to link mobile accounts with Steam or console.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    tchipley said:

There are different types of giveaways. Some can happen from within the game app itself and can be easily applied everywhere, while others require the leveraging of the specific platform's app store systems and its unique set of rules. Some platforms don't allow certain things, or just don't have the tools in place to make them possible. Alternately, some promotions only exist on certain platforms because that specific platform has agreed to a cross-promotional deal with that app or has a platform-wide offer in place that can be applied to the app (but if you're not using that platform, you can't get it, etc.)

I used to work for a company with apps across multiple platforms. We'd often have sales that worked across every platform except for Kindle, because their price change tools and approval process at the time were prohibitive. Other times we'd have sales that only worked on the web, because in-app purchases didn't support the specific mechanisms needed for that sale (for example, using a code or bundling items.) The desire is to always have everything be even, but that's just not always possible. It would be a dream if you could do something once and have it applied everywhere, it's actually a lot more work to coordinate and implement changes individually across every platform you appear on. It's also less profitable and comes with customer service issues. I assure you, it's not a case of the developers being unfair or just not caring about you because you chose to play on Steam or with a specific device.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Platform based giveaways.....It was ridiculous back then, it is ridiculous now and will probably be ridiculous forever. 
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Wonko33 said:
    just my 2 cents- but Steam players that come here every time complaining about this stuff do you also take the time to complain to Steam about why their platform doesn't allow for promotions like that ?  Maybe it's worth a shot
    That's an interesting point. Is this a game or a steam platform limitation?
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    I *was* at NYCC, and still didn't see any sign of this promo till I got home.  

Not sure why it's such a big deal to treat Steam players equally with mobile.  We have to deal with that crippled UI so that it can be the same as the mobile.  Seems like we should get the benefits as well as the deficits of parity with mobile.