best way to do pve?

grunth13
grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
So, I finished a beginning sub grind 2 minutes before player x, and started end grind 2 minutes after player x.  I was behind 7 points before the sub and even though I finished the sub 1 minute to end, I ended up only 5 points behind player x (made up 2 points).  Rule of thumb is 10 points  per minute on end grind, so what am I doing wrong? 

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Which PvE are you talking about and which SCL are you playing?
  • grunth13
    Cl9, current pve, forgot to mention that i go highest point to lowest in beginning and lowest to highest at end
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Not saying this is the reason (or the only factor), but it can depend on how quickly you get to 4 clears for the nodes with higher points.  You might clear all nodes in less time, but if player x is clearing the high point nodes more quickly than you, they'll end up with more points in the end. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I previously calculated the best order to clear PVE nodes, which is different than what most people do and I think it will help you: on the final 3 clears, go in 3 waves - meaning, clear lowest to highest 3 separate times.  This maximizes the point refreshes for each node.  Also, the initial clears should be done in the right order as well - which is clearing the essential nodes first, then non-essentials, starting with the highest point value.  That should give you an advantage since everyone else does it a different way.  Good luck.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    If your talking Honor Among Thieves,  It comes down to the wave node order.  Its worth 3x as many points as the single nodes.  So it comes down to what the wave timer nodes were at when he started vs you started.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    My model did include different clearing times and refresh rates. I didn't model wave nodes though, but I would bet that it's best to clear them first even though they take longer.
  • Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I created a spreadsheet to calculate this for a few of the nodes, and the optimal cleaning method/order basically came down to “points per second” (not points)

The initial clears you want to do the things with the highest points per second first and get to the resetpoint (4 wins or 2 wins for waves).  This means doing all four in a row.   The initial  fairly well dictated by how the nudes follow each other. Generally the first three node‘s are easy and have a high points per second. The required those generally take longer, but it may depend on the team.   Carter three notes are worth more but also take longer .
    if possible, do single nodes “last” or when needed.

on the grind, you can go in whatever order, but  want to leave the high points per second nodes until the end, so I generally start with the 5* req node first (as it takes a long time for me, even with the higher points ... points per second is low).  Make sure you do 3 passes to get everything.

After you do the additional pass through, you can go back and look at how long each node took to do the four passes by The refresh clock. This can help you calculate the average points per second for you on that  The refresh clock. This can help you calculate the average points per second for you on that  node.   remember the final three passes will be at a higher level, so may take longer depending on your cards.

see post.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72790/list-of-nodes-and-values-for-each-event#latest

• grunth13
    Hilk said:
    I created a spreadsheet to calculate this for a few of the nodes, and the optimal cleaning method/order basically came down to “points per second” (not points)

The initial clears you want to do the things with the highest points per second first and get to the resetpoint (4 wins or 2 wins for waves).  This means doing all four in a row.   The initial  fairly well dictated by how the nudes follow each other. Generally the first three node‘s are easy and have a high points per second. The required those generally take longer, but it may depend on the team.   Carter three notes are worth more but also take longer .
    if possible, do single nodes “last” or when needed.

on the grind, you can go in whatever order, but  want to leave the high points per second nodes until the end, so I generally start with the 5* req node first (as it takes a long time for me, even with the higher points ... points per second is low).  Make sure you do 3 passes to get everything.

After you do the additional pass through, you can go back and look at how long each node took to do the four passes by The refresh clock. This can help you calculate the average points per second for you on that  The refresh clock. This can help you calculate the average points per second for you on that  node.   remember the final three passes will be at a higher level, so may take longer depending on your cards.

see post.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72790/list-of-nodes-and-values-for-each-event#latest

English,  man!!!
  • Hilk
    Sorry I was falling asleep as I wrote that

The key thing to look at his points per minute.

On the initial run you want to do the things with the highest points per minute first So that you start the timer is as early as possible. On the grind you want to do the things with the highest points per minute last  so you get things finishing as late as possible 

Again - 
    for each person it will depend on how fast someone is at the different nodes, but the rules to follow:

1) do the nodes until the timer starts
    2) start with the highest points per minute if you can.

3) on the countdown/grind... start as late as possible to make sure you do 3 rounds
    4) start with the worst points per minute nodes.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we use Strange Sight as an example, ignoring all single play node?

Is it better to clear the 4 essential nodes first or is it better to clear the wave nodes first, which which would require you to clear two easy nodes to reach the first wave node, then another 2 hard nodes to reach the second wave nodes.

Theoretically speaking, clearing wave nodes first would give more points overall?
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    The fact you are grinding is what you are doing wrong. It just makes the game worse in the long run.
  • Hilk
    Can we use Strange Sight as an example, ignoring all single play node?

Is it better to clear the 4 essential nodes first or is it better to clear the wave nodes first, which which would require you to clear two easy nodes to reach the first wave node, then another 2 hard nodes to reach the second wave nodes.

Theoretically speaking, clearing wave nodes first would give more points overall?
    Which gives the highest points per second for you?
    do that last on the final clear.
    generally, most people can do the first 3 easy nodes very quickly with thanos... giving a high pPS, so those would go last.... 

if if you have a great “meta” deck and can do other nodes quickly, that may make it switch.

if he wave node is slow, it has high points, but also high seconds.... so for you, where does it come out?  If lowest PPS, do it first in your run as you finish,

Generally, I find doing the essentials are longer, because the teams are not optimal - so do them first ( hardest to easiest), then the hard nodes, then the easy nodes....

but next time, do this.... take the node points and divide them by the time to do the node (you can get the time by looking at the difference in countdown clocks after you have cleared 4) and do the math to see which is highest (do last) and which lowest.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    If you want top 5 to 10.  You do the nodes as fast as possible highest points cleared first.  (4x) in under 30 minutes.  For the clear.  You would do the final sweep of all the nodes from low to highest (1x) again in under 30 minutes three times in a row. This will get you top 5 to 10 requires less thinking and is less stressful  

Now the OP poster wants top spot, and that's a different beast and a gamble.  You can't mess up, or get bogged down.

During your sweep with about 20 to 30 minutes left, you clear the easiest first (x3) and work your way up on point nodes. You should be ending with the hardest last (x3). This allows the maximum points, if you have tracked cycle times based on the starting point total, and the percentage of points recovered to the node per minute. 

Then by some miracle you still have time left, and clear the easy ones yet again for that extra 1 point.   

Some have said, do everything easiest to hardest(x2) and do a final sweep to catch lost points low to high. 

If you time things incorrectly, you leave high points on the board.  Also chances are you have done the essential before you started your final sweeps. Sometimes that is worth 2 to 3 points at end.