Are there ever going to be character re-balances again?

2»

Comments

• NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2018
    wymtime said:
    NeonBlue said:
    When you have damn near 200 characters, buffing across the board is unfeasible. It's the same argument I have with my League of Legends friends. They always ask for Riot to "buff instead of nerf" so that every character is "balanced" but then they have to buff 200 characters when they can just nerf like 5. In both ways, balance is achieved but one path takes a lot more effort than the other.

In this case, I'm okay with them just nerfing whoever is overused every few months. If you're worried about your investments getting nerfed, then don't invest in the absolute strongest teams. That should be the tradeoff, so that people can balance strength with the risk of nerfs. I wonder if as many people would still invest in Thorkoye if D3 followed this trend. 
    At one point in time they buffed the entire 3* tier by increase the health for all but 4 3*.  Then when champ rewards came out hey nerfed the entire 3* tier by reducing the damage across the board for 3* based on level.  I think balancing a couple of characters every other month isn’t too much to ask.  They should actually focus on the new characters like Wasp and Loki and see how players play test them and how they effect the game.  Slight adjustments to new characters to make them balanced should be reasonable.
    Buffing an entire tier unfortunately doesn't get at the core of the issue people have. For most people, it isn't that 4*s are significantly better than 3*s in terms of stats, because that's expected. However, most of the complaints I've seen are that within a tier, some characters just reign far above others in terms of design. 

I think there are two things that make a character fundamentally "good" or "bad" in terms of design:

1. Do they excel at what they are intended to do?: A well-designed character has a kit that accentuates a particular role, goal, or purpose. Poor design here can mean either they do not fit onto any team in any meaningful way (ie. no real role), or they are too good at doing too many things.

2. Do they offer something that is not offered by its competitors?: The quality of a character's design is relative its alternatives (ie. other characters in that tier). Even if a character has a "good" design by the previous point's standards, if another character does the exact same thing but better, then you have a poorly designed character by comparison. No two characters should fulfill the same role without bringing something unique to the team that makes them a viable option.

I think a lot of characters in the game suffer from either point or both. To allow more niche characters to excel, the powerhouses that can do everything or do a few things significantly better than all of its alternatives need to be brought down a bit.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    However, most of the complaints I've seen are that within a tier, some characters just reign far above others in terms of design. 

You should look around more because I can guarantee you that most of the complaints are about characters that are garbage. Because nobody likes to pull a character and feel like the cover is a waste because that character is **** (where people don't mind pulling one that's a little too powerful, because being a little strong is still FUN).

Outside of Gambit and OML, all of the rebalances they've done have been to fix sub-par characters. And those are the rebalances people want to see again.

I understand the logic behind choosing to nerf 5 characters instead of buffing 200, but that's the opposite of the problem MPQ has. Nerfing the few outlier stronger characters doesn't fix the garbage characters. Nerfing Thor/Okoye is not going to make people use Wasp or Banner or Doc Ock. It'll make them use the other 20 5*s that aren't Wasp/Banner/Ock.

And it isn't exclusive to the 5* Tier. There are many 3*s people would like to see buffed. It's not as bad with the 4's, but that's because they've fixed so many of them already.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    JHawkInc said:
    However, most of the complaints I've seen are that within a tier, some characters just reign far above others in terms of design. 

You should look around more because I can guarantee you that most of the complaints are about characters that are garbage. 
    That's what my post says. The guy I quoted talked about tier-wide buffs like raising all 3* HP. My point is that most people say that this character is garbage when comparing to other characters of that tier. So for instance, people mostly complain that 5Wasp is far inferior to Glad Thor, not that all 5*s need to change (although some people do make this claim as well).
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    barrok said:
    guzktgui said:
    Speaking about money, they keep asking why you would not recommend MPQ to a friend, one reason is that there are more than 200 characters but you only use 10...
    To be fair, that is almost any game. 

Watch pros play Dota. Watch pros play Magic the Gathering. We as humans are good at min-maxing, so inevitably we lean towards the strongest characters. It would be darn near impossible to create 170 characters that are equally balanced (on both individual power level and "combo" potential). 

edit: also, with "essentials" they kind of do force you to play other characters.
    Plus, the game is a race to get the best rewards. I'm not going to spend time switching characters when I know thats going to slow me down and affect my finishing position. 
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    barrok said:
    How much money do you think they make by re-balancing characters?
    On the flip side how much are they losing by not?  I've invested way more time and money into this game than I would like to admit and I'm at the point where the only thing motivating me is building 5* characters.  I've dedicated all my efforts in the last couple months to finishing Okoye and the game instead has overloaded me with covers for a useless 5* character (Wasp).  There is no excuse for a character at that tier to be that big of a dud and knowing I can invest so much into something and be left with nothing to show for it is seriously killing my desire to carry on (whereas if they gave Wasp a much needed buff it would go a long way to taking the edge off). 
    I'm in the exact same spot in that I'm only chasing 5*s now (Okoye specifically) and its getting to be a real drag. I keep having long stretches between even pulling a single 5 cover (last 3 5 covers came after droughts of 24 pulls, 53 pulls, and 28 pulls respectively) which adds insult to the injury of finally getting one and its for a total dud like wasp. The whole process is demoralizing and its sucking out my will to keep playing, which is a shame. I like this game and have poured a ton of time and a decent amount of cash into it and it feels like I've hit the RNG glass ceiling and it's annoying af
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Asmodaeus said:
    barrok said:
    How much money do you think they make by re-balancing characters?
    On the flip side how much are they losing by not?  I've invested way more time and money into this game than I would like to admit and I'm at the point where the only thing motivating me is building 5* characters.  I've dedicated all my efforts in the last couple months to finishing Okoye and the game instead has overloaded me with covers for a useless 5* character (Wasp).  There is no excuse for a character at that tier to be that big of a dud and knowing I can invest so much into something and be left with nothing to show for it is seriously killing my desire to carry on (whereas if they gave Wasp a much needed buff it would go a long way to taking the edge off). 
    I'm in the exact same spot in that I'm only chasing 5*s now (Okoye specifically) and its getting to be a real drag. I keep having long stretches between even pulling a single 5 cover (last 3 5 covers came after droughts of 24 pulls, 53 pulls, and 28 pulls respectively) which adds insult to the injury of finally getting one and its for a total dud like wasp. The whole process is demoralizing and its sucking out my will to keep playing, which is a shame. I like this game and have poured a ton of time and a decent amount of cash into it and it feels like I've hit the RNG glass ceiling and it's annoying af
    I'm in a very similar position to you now. I loved this game up until recently because I was first of all building all my 2*s, then my 3*s and finally my 4*s and gradually champing them all. I've now reached a point in the game where I only have 4 4*s that aren't champed (Dino and 3 newer ones), and other than that, I can only work with the 5*s now. Since I'm reliant on RNG for covers for them I feel like theres very little left for me to do with the game. Its always been that quest to champ everyone thats kept me drawn to this game but I dont feel like I'm in control now with RNG deciding if I'll ever champ more than the 4 5*s I've done so far. Its not a good feeling.  
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Do rebalances make/lose money? I dunno, probably neither. Its extra work, so I guess it costs more. So then let them make money. Put out a "system reboot deal", 3 covers of each 4* plus whatever else for $20 or whatever. If a 5* gets reworked then have it be 6 covers of their feeder.

I thought they stopped reworks because they actually addressed most of the worst characters, and its not good to just keep raising the floor constantly. But they stopped a while ago, and there are plenty of characters that should be looked at now. Even if its not seen as a balance or competition issue, its been long enough they should think about it as a customer satisfaction issue.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    we don't know
  • CubRob
    CubRob Posts: 74 Match Maker
    edited October 2018
    JHawkInc said

Outside of Gambit and OML, all of the rebalances they've done have been to fix sub-par characters. 
    You forgot X-Force, Sentry, 3* Magneto, 3* Spider-man, Hood, Thoress, and Ragnarok