Lazy alliance member?

2»

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,182 Chairperson of the Boards
    1882 said:
    Thank you for all the replies everyone! 👍 In reply to what's been said. My alliance is a daily play alliance and all I ask is if your gonna be away then let us know. And participation in events. Now the person in question has joined recently and was told via chat the lil rules. They have had no interaction on the chat either! Have given the 'every point counts' speech too (well it does) and they have a small ish roster but enough to have easy done at least half the essential nodes. 
    Think I will just comment in alliance about it and mention that it's rude and will result in removal if it happens again. That way I don't come across as a #insert expletive. 
    For myself I always tell anyone who joins that I expect maximum participation in boss events, so that everyone's clear on that. If you see anyone appearing to slack off, you can issue a friendly reminder. Something along the lines of "yo everyone! Just a reminder that the minimum score for this event is bla bla bla".

Sometimes that person does have valid reasons. For my alliances, the members have generally been mindful enough to let everyone know if they might be away, so that's good. Case in point: the recent hurricane. Just ask them if everything's alright. If I see a person constantly go AWOL or fall short of the minimum requirements without saying anything, then yes, they're getting the boot
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards

I don’t expect anybody to schedule their life around playing MPQ and so my Alliance is generally casual. The only thing where we actively promote play and may consider booting players is Boss Events non-participation. We have no issue if people can’t play and let us know (one of our members gave birth and STILL managed to fight a boss once! She will never get booted!) Whilst Boss events are more regular than before, they are still genuinely rare enough that some reasonable level of participation is not an ominous expectation. From a personal standpoint, I would rather lose an Alliance member for an event to give a new player a chance and they only score a minimal amount rather than see somebody join and register a zero score. That bugs me – why join when the event is underway if you had no intention of playing and can’t be bothered to say you won’t be contributing? Especially if you then play a different mode!

1882 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    DAZ0273 said:

I don’t expect anybody to schedule their life around playing MPQ and so my Alliance is generally casual. The only thing where we actively promote play and may consider booting players is Boss Events non-participation. We have no issue if people can’t play and let us know (one of our members gave birth and STILL managed to fight a boss once! She will never get booted!) Whilst Boss events are more regular than before, they are still genuinely rare enough that some reasonable level of participation is not an ominous expectation. From a personal standpoint, I would rather lose an Alliance member for an event to give a new player a chance and they only score a minimal amount rather than see somebody join and register a zero score. That bugs me – why join when the event is underway if you had no intention of playing and can’t be bothered to say you won’t be contributing? Especially if you then play a different mode!

And still claim all the rewards that everyone else has worked hard to get. That is my main issue.
    But anyway giving birth and still playing! 👏👏👏👏 Bravo to the lady. (I doft my hat to her) 
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    If they logged into event and didn't do a single node they should be booted. They weren't just AFK for a few days. They purposefully entered the event to gain the rewards. 

Bring out the BOOT. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    Our alliance isn't super competitive but does expect participation. I've been trying to get them to adopt a rule that states unless there is a reasonable explanation, the lowest scoring alliance member from each event gets booted. So someone will be booted after every event.

Jack Welch created it, also commonly known as "rank and yank".
    Yeah...my previous alliance (of which I was one of the Commanders) tried stuff like that, going so far as to boot people out with rosters that weren't a high enough level.  I didn't know this was happening until my son, who had started a week before and had a very limited roster, got booted out two days after joining.  I asked my son if he'd left the alliance, and he said no.  I tried to get him back into the alliance, and got a message saying he'd left.  I went into alliance chat to ask what had happened, and was told that his roster wasn't at a high enough level for the alliance.  This was the first I'd known about people getting booted, and there hadn't been any sort of "You should have at least X high level characters" demarcation line for joining the roster.  I promptly told them alliance that the person they kicked out was my son, left the alliance, and started my own Alliance.  After doing a search, that alliance didn't come up in a search, even with full and private alliances checked....so they're not around anymore.

The new one has 20 people in it now, and it's a casual alliance.  No expectations, and none of this "lowest score gets booted."  We generally give people two or three weeks of not playing before we kick them, unless we know what's happened; one person's tablet broke, but we knew that, so we kept them in.  We got all of the covers from the Galactus event, although we missed getting into Round 9.  That's about how well we usually do in these events.

If you do have the "rank and yank", make sure people know ahead of time exactly what the rules are.  Do you do it for every PvP?  Every PvE?  Just Boss events?  Seasons?  It's opening up a pretty big can of worms.
    It's a huge can of worms not to mention that it's pretty dumb to kick people out simply because they have newer rosters. Granted you can get a good idea how active people are by comparing their stats to everyone else. Like if they're a 3* player and the current pve event is seven days long, it's the final day and they only have 200 points and it's a top 100 pve/hybrid alliance then yeah they probably won't last too long. But, there are rare instances where that newer player can hold their own and put up a pretty solid score even if they may not have everyone rostered.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    My alliance is super casual, I jusually only kick people out that have been away for a month. I've never advertised that rule, but I feel like if you've been gone for a month, you won't even notice when you come back.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    FWIW - I am fairly sure that you cannot claim any alliance rewards until you have racked up SOME points - so they would have had to play the boss battle and a side node at least once to get the rewards.
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    I had a guy join after we were in round eight with a few fights to go. He knew all about it ahead of time because we communicate expectations each time days in advance if possible. He played at least once each day to get the resupply reward so we knew he was active. He never apologized for missing out and got the boot.

To me its it’s all about expectations. Set it but also be aware that life gets in the way. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    FWIW - I am fairly sure that you cannot claim any alliance rewards until you have racked up SOME points - so they would have had to play the boss battle and a side node at least once to get the rewards.
    Nope, you just have to join to get alliance rewards. No personal points necessary
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I'm usually not too concerned with the scores people get, because to get the real good rewards in alliance you need to rank quite high. But boss events are different. I hate it when people join, and then perform very poorly (like one boss in 4 days) or don't score at all. If you're not going to put in a decent performance, then don't join. People like that have made me not wanting to go past max progression.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    The boot
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    1882 said:
    Thank you for all the replies everyone! 👍 In reply to what's been said. My alliance is a daily play alliance and all I ask is if your gonna be away then let us know. And participation in events. Now the person in question has joined recently and was told via chat the lil rules. They have had no interaction on the chat either! Have given the 'every point counts' speech too (well it does) and they have a small ish roster but enough to have easy done at least half the essential nodes. 
    Think I will just comment in alliance about it and mention that it's rude and will result in removal if it happens again. That way I don't come across as a #insert expletive. 
    that just comes across as passive aggressive.  there's no need to assign negative attributes to those that don't comply.  the simple fact of their noncompliance with commander-set standards is sufficient of itself to boot someone, and talking about how things are "rude" or "not rude" just invites a whole discussion about what is rude or what is not rude, which is entirely unproductive, generates drama, and is besides the point anyways.

as far as whoever being uncommunicative, you can't just blame that on other people.  if you're a responsible alliance commander, it's *your* job to ensure communication is at appropriate levels ahead of time, so there isn't confusion later.

shardwick said:

It's a huge can of worms not to mention that it's pretty dumb to kick people out simply because they have newer rosters. Granted you can get a good idea how active people are by comparing their stats to everyone else. Like if they're a 3* player and the current pve event is seven days long, it's the final day and they only have 200 points and it's a top 100 pve/hybrid alliance then yeah they probably won't last too long. But, there are rare instances where that newer player can hold their own and put up a pretty solid score even if they may not have everyone rostered.
    I don't think it's necessarily "rare" that a newer player can put up a solid PvE score (I assume that's what was meant by the reference to having everyone rostered).  A few 3*s let you push into SCL 7, then you get the 3* and 4* Essential Characters as progression rewards (assume the player knows what they're doing and has a 2* farm set up and has empty slots to rotate Essential Characters in).  The player misses the first half for the 4* Essential Node because they don't have it yet, but they easily hit max progression by the end with optimal clears.

Even if a player drops to SCL 4 and only earns the 3* halfway through the event, I'm pretty sure with optimal clears max progression is possible.  By "pretty sure" I mean I recorded my results for three consecutive PvE events and the data checked out.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    ... there's no need to assign negative attributes to those that don't comply.  the simple fact of their noncompliance with commander-set standards is sufficient of itself to boot someone, and talking about how things are "rude" or "not rude" just invites a whole discussion about what is rude or what is not rude, which is entirely unproductive, generates drama, and is besides the point anyways.
    Love this comment; it's extremely well stated. I agree.
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler

Yeah, if your min is to participate, then kick em. Would you rather that guy leave or everyone who doesn't want to drag along a freeloader? You have to set an example sometimes.

This is spot on, speaking not as a commander but an alliance member. I've now left two alliances where I and 2-3 others were basically dragging people with much, much better rosters than ours to middling rounds in events. It's fine when it happens occasionally, sure, but after 3-4 times those members who are really doing everything they can to help the alliance get frustrated and start looking elsewhere. If those alliance commanders had been more proactive about removing members who consistently didn't help I might have stayed.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed with a bunch of this. 

Ours sets 2 rules... 
    1) if you're gone for more than 10 days without anyone knowing if you'll be back or not, you're out.
    2)  any amount of rude or disrespectful statements.... you're  out.

Ours has been chugging along pretty good as is.  At one point, however, it was noticeable that a commander wasn't involved for months!   You could tell by looking at participation points for bosses and the like.  Thankfully, another commander personally knew him, and said that he had major problems getting his account stuff working.  Sure, everyone had suggestions, but the guy never got it sorted out.

In the end, I (not the original commander, but one who was promoted at one point) placed the ticket to customer service.  He was demoted after a day or two, and we kicked him promptly.

Just wanted to let everyone  know that you don't have to be the original commander
    .. just A commander in general.

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Perhaps a reminder of the expectations in the chat once a month or so wouldn't be a bad idea.  Also do a little rah-rah cheerleading a day before the big event to remind everybody something important's coming up and they have some goals to hit.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I give everyone a buffer of 3 events before I give the boot, as I understand real life might get in the way. 2 events with low or no scores might just be a case of bad luck in schedules, but 3 or more to me is just a case of plain laziness or simply not caring. Been enforcing this rule since we cleared round 8 for the first time in Jun and replacing those with low scores in order to maintain this