Lazy alliance member?

1882 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
Just a lil advice please guys n gals. In the galactus event one of my alliance members registered at the start but did zero points! (but still daily played) now this infuriated me, as to me they are 'getting something for nothing' is it wrong to be miffed about it!
Thoughts? 

Comments

• Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,762 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends on your alliance: mine states that all members have to actively participate, so this member would be kicked out (unless they told us in advance they'll be busy IRL).
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I only had 11 participate in mine and 13 join the event. I feel your pain.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards

give em the boot!
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    What is his/her past performance in similar events?
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018

Yeah, if your min is to participate, then kick em. Would you rather that guy leave or everyone who doesn't want to drag along a freeloader? You have to set an example sometimes.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say it depends on expectations.  If players are expected to participate, yeah, kick them - they could have at least done the trivial nodes for the first 24 hours.  If there was no expectation then you should probably set one.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    make the rules clear- let people make informed choices, kick if it doesn't work out -

The one that always gets me is the commander that goes awol.
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    I've been known to kick slackers BEFORE boss events. Hate pulling dead weight.
  • zeroswitch
    zeroswitch Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Depends on the type of alliance.   If it's a casual alliance that's mostly playing for fun (i.e. has no "rules" or expectations in place) then don't expect much.  (And if that doesn't work for you, you can always seek a different group.)   But if it's a competitive alliance, you can remind them of any expectations that are in place.    Personally, my alliance is just for pals that trade team ups and chat about stuff; we don't really care.  And like mega ghost said, sometimes real life will get in the way.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mean sometimes life does get in the way. You may join a boss event with the goal of being one of the first in the alliance to finish your personal progression but then something comes up like a death in the family or your best friend is in a car crash, or maybe you get sick or your boss needs you to work extra hours. Does that make you a freeloader even if you tend to be pretty active in the alliance? I don't think so. 

If they have a record of doing that then you may want to tell your alliance a day in advance that if anyone won't be able to contribute to the boss event then they can step out of the alliance until the event ends and rejoin afterward.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Frankly, if you are asking the question then there is no solid history or relationship between you and you can justifiably kick them (if there is a clear expectation that they should have participated more actively). If there were a better relationship in place then you wouldn't ask, right?

Our alliance is pretty casual but it's premised on good communication. Many of our players have been here for MANY months. If someone goes AWOL, we know it's because they were busy, dead phone, something, And usually we communicate in advance about it (or after). But if we didn't know each other so well and have that trust built up (we text on Line quite a bit) then if someone is dead weight for a couple of events I'd say kick them and probably do it quickly. This is kind of an intense game and requires a lot of activity and teamwork to progress...
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Wonko33 said:
    make the rules clear- let people make informed choices, kick if it doesn't work out -

Amen, we have an alliance where the one of the commanders consistently joins but barely participates...we still finish most events no prob (civil war being the exception) so I guess it doesn't matter that much. But for some reason it still chafes my giblets
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Many have commented above, but I look at it this way.

1)  Do you have a history with the person?  (Do you talk to them, do they typically participate in team events)
    2)  Do they have a noob roster, (if they're just getting started maybe they don't think that they can help, maybe give them a speech about every point counts and even the low rostered players can still contribute.
    3)  Did they affect your over alliance's performance?

When I'm in a situation, I weight those three factors.  If a vet misses like 4 team events in a row and it started to affect our ability to get through round 8, then I'd probably say something to him if he's talked to us before on the alliance chat.  If not, I'd probably boot him at that point.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Asmodaeus said:
    Wonko33 said:

Amen, we have an alliance where the one of the commanders consistently joins but barely participates...we still finish most events no prob (civil war being the exception) so I guess it doesn't matter that much. But for some reason it still chafes my giblets
    There is a way to kick a commander. The person that originally created the alliance needs to send a ticket to CS and they can remove the offending commander. Hopefully, in your case, the are not the same person!
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Our alliance isn't super competitive but does expect participation. I've been trying to get them to adopt a rule that states unless there is a reasonable explanation, the lowest scoring alliance member from each event gets booted. So someone will be booted after every event.

Jack Welch created it, also commonly known as "rank and yank".
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    Our alliance isn't super competitive but does expect participation. I've been trying to get them to adopt a rule that states unless there is a reasonable explanation, the lowest scoring alliance member from each event gets booted. So someone will be booted after every event.

Jack Welch created it, also commonly known as "rank and yank".
    Yeah...my previous alliance (of which I was one of the Commanders) tried stuff like that, going so far as to boot people out with rosters that weren't a high enough level.  I didn't know this was happening until my son, who had started a week before and had a very limited roster, got booted out two days after joining.  I asked my son if he'd left the alliance, and he said no.  I tried to get him back into the alliance, and got a message saying he'd left.  I went into alliance chat to ask what had happened, and was told that his roster wasn't at a high enough level for the alliance.  This was the first I'd known about people getting booted, and there hadn't been any sort of "You should have at least X high level characters" demarcation line for joining the roster.  I promptly told them alliance that the person they kicked out was my son, left the alliance, and started my own Alliance.  After doing a search, that alliance didn't come up in a search, even with full and private alliances checked....so they're not around anymore.

The new one has 20 people in it now, and it's a casual alliance.  No expectations, and none of this "lowest score gets booted."  We generally give people two or three weeks of not playing before we kick them, unless we know what's happened; one person's tablet broke, but we knew that, so we kept them in.  We got all of the covers from the Galactus event, although we missed getting into Round 9.  That's about how well we usually do in these events.

If you do have the "rank and yank", make sure people know ahead of time exactly what the rules are.  Do you do it for every PvP?  Every PvE?  Just Boss events?  Seasons?  It's opening up a pretty big can of worms.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    The alliance i'm in has 20 daily players but only had 19 players in the boss event.
    1882 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Thank you for all the replies everyone! 👍 In reply to what's been said. My alliance is a daily play alliance and all I ask is if your gonna be away then let us know. And participation in events. Now the person in question has joined recently and was told via chat the lil rules. They have had no interaction on the chat either! Have given the 'every point counts' speech too (well it does) and they have a small ish roster but enough to have easy done at least half the essential nodes. 
    Think I will just comment in alliance about it and mention that it's rude and will result in removal if it happens again. That way I don't come across as a #insert expletive.