About a new 1* or 2* character (Random Thoughts)

Rogue4Lyfe
Rogue4Lyfe Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
It just pops up in my mind.
I wonder if the devs are working on a new 1* /2* character.

I mean, it's quite weird since there are only 4*/5* character releases.
I think there should be a new 1*/2* character.

What do you guys think? Comment below

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once they reach that point, most of the people in the game only use 4 or 5-star characters, so the Devs are putting their work where the most people will use it.  The sole time I use 2-stars and 3-stars is the required nodes in the various events.  Heck, some people don't even keep 1-stars on their roster to fully complete the Deadpool Daily.

For the beginning and mid-range folks, hero points for roster size can be a limiting factor in terms of which character you keep and which you get rid of.  If you've got a 1-star and a 3-star in your queue, and enough Hero Points to roster only one of them...which one are you going to pick?

The last 1-star they released was Spider Man...and I honestly don't know if they've ever released a new 2-star character.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 1* tier passes by so fast that there probably isn't any benefit to either player or Devs in expanding it. The only time I would think they might would be for a joke character - 1* Willy Lumpkin or something.

Whilst the 2* tier has much more utility, I can't see them putting resources and money into expanding it either, especiallyu as 3* are now pretty easy to come by- and as we already have Bagman as the joke they probably wont add anything similar either.

I think both those tiers have a fork stuck in 'em.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    The devs are concerned to ensure the 1* tier is welcoming to new players, hence the revamp of Spider-Man. I don’t see them adding any new characters, however. The only possibility is for further revamps, adding a third power to two power characters for example.
     I don’t expect anything to happen at the 2* level at all, unless we get a dual 4/2* release at some point.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once they reach that point, most of the people in the game only use 4 or 5-star characters, so the Devs are putting their work where the most people will use it.  The sole time I use 2-stars and 3-stars is the required nodes in the various events.  Heck, some people don't even keep 1-stars on their roster to fully complete the Deadpool Daily.

For the beginning and mid-range folks, hero points for roster size can be a limiting factor in terms of which character you keep and which you get rid of.  If you've got a 1-star and a 3-star in your queue, and enough Hero Points to roster only one of them...which one are you going to pick?

The last 1-star they released was Spider Man...and I honestly don't know if they've ever released a new 2-star character.
    Ms Marvel and Human Torch were both late two-star releases, but at that Point the game was mostly focused on the Three-star tier and I don't Think either release was pretty successful. I suspect that was why they didn't have a release for 1* Spiderman when he was released, he was just added to packs one day.
  • St1nkf1st
    St1nkf1st Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Personally I'd welcome new 2* characters, just to spice up the DDQ 2* nodes a little. But I doubt we will see any.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2018
    yes to more 1/2/3 characters.
    There are too many 4*'s right now. takes years before players can use 5's
    This game is NOT newb friendly!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    I think shuffling the 1 star tier into the 2 star tier would be a better solution. It would at the very least make them relevant enough to keep rostered and the iso put into them when first starting wouldn't end up a total waste. Just buff them to 2 star levels and add champ rewards.

I'd then adjust vaults to better compensate for 3s being the new 2s by adding more 4s into them. Time to stop pretending the 4 star tier is some elite tier when it is glutted with 70 characters and dilution is so pervasive.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    1-star tier is a tutorial. No need for more.

2-star tier is large enough to give players the tools they need to get into 3-star territory, where the game really starts to get interesting. No need for more.

3-star tier is right about the size it should be. A couple more wouldn't hurt it.

4-star tier needs to shrink, it's nearly bloated past the saturation point of becoming too daunting of a tier for new players to ever overcome if they want to champ them all. I mean, would anyone even care if they never released another 4-star? Dazzler should have been special - meaningful, but as it is she is just another bean on the pile.

5-star tier could use some growth, but releasing these too quickly will mean very few players are able to fully cover them before they hit classic limbo.

Personally, I'd like to see them slow new releases down to once a month, or even less. Stop with the Wiccans and the Ghosts and give us characters we actually want like Kitty. Less frequent releases would make them more special; more of an event. It would also slow the bloat, as over-saturation is now this game's number-1 problem now that saved covers are a thing.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I don't think its really fair to criticize who they release nowadays. We are long past the "not another Spiderman" phase. And maybe thats just because we have so many characters now, but it is reassuring to know that if there is a dud, a good one might be right around the corner.

But to the op, I doubt they are working on them, but I wouldn't mind more 2s or 3s. Not 1s tho, anything you can't champ is a waste.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we could use some more. In theory. A slightly broader foundation, a few extra characters, to serve as tutorial characters for mechanics that don't exist at that tier (charged tiles, traps, repeaters). But then you'd want more tutorial missions to walk players through those mechanics, so you'd want to extend the Prologue (I'd add in some custom missions for the tutorial, then extend it upwards by adding in the other Story events, so you can play through them once at your own pace, at slowly increasing difficulty that gives slowly increasing rewards, so you can earn resources to boost your roster further into the game).

You could touch on some popular characters. Jean Grey (old school, Marvel Girl style?), a Scarlet Witch, maybe Nova or other cosmic characters that aren't represented at those tiers. A 1* Wolverine (Weapon X, goofy helmet and wires and all, make him a mini-boss like Juggernaut), a 2* Iron Man. Then any beyond that you add some enemies like the Dark Avengers (Masters of Evil and/or Brotherhood of Mutants? Zemo and Absorbing Man the Wrecking Crew and Toad and Blob, among others).

Then you'd want other upgrades to go with it. Make it easier for new players to advance through those tiers. Say, 1* Villains go the way of Yelena (but maybe boost their odds in PVP; easier for a new player to cover 1* heroes in Prologue/Story, but not impossible to chase Juggernaut in PVP if they want). Free roster slots for players over a certain Shield Rank (a low rank) for every new 2* added (veterans need them for Essential nodes, but won't want to spend high HP costs to roster a new 2* Iron Man). Add a bunch at once (and a handful of 3's while you're at it) and overhaul roster slot costs to make them a little cheaper (both to make it easier for new players to roster them all, and to not charge veterans outrageous HP prices to roster new characters; maybe free slots for a higher Shield Rank for every new 3* added this way).

And add in some new events at the same time (featuring the new Masters of Evil and/or Brotherhood of Mutants), and for the first month of those events, throw out extra special tokens that only give out new characters and HP for roster slots (all bonus rewards, the way Anniversary Tokens are sometimes dropped into the middle of normal progression).

So yeah, in theory we could use more for the foundation of the game. But I think it would take a massive overhaul to make it a desirable change for everyone past that foundation. (another thought: higher tier players won't want new 2*s because it slows down farm progress, as it would take longer to flip any individual character, so another change might be dropping Standards for Elites at some point to compensate by removing 1* drops for those players, for example)

So ultimately I don't think it'll ever happen. We'd need a bigger update (or series of updates) than anything we've had otherwise in the game, and it would be for foundation purposes (rather than adding something to the top, like SCLs or CP/5*s), not a moneymaker.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    purplemur said:
    Probably the biggest resource for new players is hp so adding more characters to the game wouldn't really help them. Not to mention that newer players tend to be more focused on wanting to roster 3-5* characters and not 1s or 2s. I mean even for myself when I made my backup account earlier this year I couldn't wait until I unlocked bonus heroes so I could focus on getting Strange rostered and then champed as soon as possible.
  • purplemur
    edited September 2018
    shardwick said:
    purplemur said:
    Probably the biggest resource for new players is hp so adding more characters to the game wouldn't really help them. Not to mention that newer players tend to be more focused on wanting to roster 3-5* characters and not 1s or 2s. I mean even for myself when I made my backup account earlier this year I couldn't wait until I unlocked bonus heroes so I could focus on getting Strange rostered and then champed as soon as possible.
    The problem with this argument is that the cost for 2* player is the same whether they are rostering a new 2* or a 4*. 
    Which is more useful and generates HP quicker? champ levels on a 2* or waiting months and months for a usable 4* character? my 4* champ rewards are frankly weak. I don't get much for adding one level to a 4* every once in a while,ther is too broad a pool to get up to where they get good. but I get most of my HP from constant 2*flipping.
    Your engine gains velocity the more complete a tier you have, You will transition much faster to champ 3* if you have a complete farm of 2*'s. now broaden that pool to include 6 more usable characters and you would be able to gain more rewards sooner and the feeder trees would include more top end 3*s(we need a Strange feeder devs!)
    If you can't afford the roster slot for another 2* you won't be wasting as much opportunity costs because they come around so often(especially support vaults). 
    You can get prog rewards more often because you would have more play options instead of using 4/5's as meat shields, thus a more enriching play experience.

to the 5* players (not you shard-just in general) check your whining about roster costs and how another unusable character that sits on the shelf. Kitty wasn't even warm yet before the cries of won't ever use her were ringing out. How do you not have extra HP? I keep up in 4* play and I splurge on HfH all the time. Your getting much better rewards  from prog and placement is much sweeter at the top.That's on your playstlye for competitive placement not on game mechanics or on the vast majority of players who are not in that SCL9 t100 who enjoy playing with their rosters. Yes even 2s&3s.

to the devs: Give me a reason to play with 1*storm; she is awesome! Give me a playtab that isn't locked out after the first month. Increase the rewards in the Prologue to include more HP, Adjust the SCL payouts to make more 50HP rewards instead of ISO. More feeders and as above champs on 1*s
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I hope they never release another 3 star, let alone something lower than that. As it is now, new 4 star releases are almost pointless. Without increased odds when released, they'll never catch up to older 4s meaning they'll always be weaker and unusable. 
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    purplemur said:
    shardwick said:
    purplemur said:
    The problem with this argument is that the cost for 2* player is the same whether they are rostering a new 2* or a 4*. 
    Which is more useful and generates HP quicker? champ levels on a 2* or waiting months and months for a usable 4* character? my 4* champ rewards are frankly weak. I don't get much for adding one level to a 4* every once in a while,ther is too broad a pool to get up to where they get good. but I get most of my HP from constant 2*flipping.
    Your engine gains velocity the more complete a tier you have, You will transition much faster to champ 3* if you have a complete farm of 2*'s. now broaden that pool to include 6 more usable characters and you would be able to gain more rewards sooner and the feeder trees would include more top end 3*s(we need a Strange feeder devs!)
    If you can't afford the roster slot for another 2* you won't be wasting as much opportunity costs because they come around so often(especially support vaults). 
    You can get prog rewards more often because you would have more play options instead of using 4/5's as meat shields, thus a more enriching play experience.

to the 5* players (not you shard-just in general) check your whining about roster costs and how another unusable character that sits on the shelf. Kitty wasn't even warm yet before the cries of won't ever use her were ringing out. How do you not have extra HP? I keep up in 4* play and I splurge on HfH all the time. Your getting much better rewards  from prog and placement is much sweeter at the top.That's on your playstlye for competitive placement not on game mechanics or on the vast majority of players who are not in that SCL9 t100 who enjoy playing with their rosters. Yes even 2s&3s.

to the devs: Give me a reason to play with 1*storm; she is awesome! Give me a playtab that isn't locked out after the first month. Increase the rewards in the Prologue to include more HP, Adjust the SCL payouts to make more 50HP rewards instead of ISO. More feeders and as above champs on 1*s
    Increasing 2s wouldn't increase rewards. It'd dilute the tier so it'd take longer to fully champ them. You wouldn't be pulling more 2s so the top champ rewards would be spread out even more. 

If you really want to play with 1* players and the prologue, you can just make another account. The devs have mentioned on multiple occasions that the 1s and prologue are designed to introduce you to the game. If that's your favorite part, there's nothing wrong with that. But they won't be changing that aspect when 95% of the players are well past it. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only reason to add to the 1* and 2* tiers would be if you were also adding something to the game where they would be necessary/useful. Unless they're going to add another game mode, I don't see any reason to add to either tier.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I agree that more 1* characters would be relatively pointless without at least the ability to champ them. When I started playing I would have expected the common tier of characters to be the largest with tiers becoming smaller as rarity increased but that ship has sailed. On the other hand I think more 2* and 3* characters would be beneficial. HP costs for roster slots only matter to players with a tendency to collect them all, which I don’t think applies to the majority of players. In my experience with people I know who have played MPQ and the people who have been in my alliance most people tend to only keep characters they like or find useful. In regards to slowing down farming I’d much rather have the chance to farm half a dozen more 2* feeders and broaden my champ rewards instead of flipping Bullseye for thousandth time just gaining levels for characters I don’t use. 
  • purplemur
    How long does it take to get any rewards from a 4* Character= up to a year maybe less with hardcore play/spending?
    How long does it take to flip a 2*= using bigglers thread a few months
    you will get lots of rewards from your 2's before you get any from a 4*. 
    Lets add 6 characters to the 2* level which would expand by about 1/2 so it takes players maybe two weeks longer to flip, compare with how long will it take to champ Nebula/Dazz?
    Your not slowing newbs progress, your actually channeling them into the next tier up and hastening the transition by giving them more opportunities for rewards that are immediately applicable. Feeders for better 3's (thanos/strange/GotG) will make the 3* game more fun without having to bonus hero. The good Dr makes the prog grind so much easier/funner. 
    You ARE increasing the reward rate because you will be gaining more tokens from 2/3 champ levels which most of the time are 2*'s. 

How long do players "use" 2*'s without the req'd node vs How long until a 4/5 is worthwhile?
    I sup-posit that players actually play with their 2/3 for much longer than players "use" 4/5. Apparently 5* players only use half dozen characters anyway so compare usage of hours with OBW vs usage of AckAngel or ock. I know I use juggalo and spidey more than elektra/bucky/flap.

If new 4's are pointless because they can never catch up  with older than new 2/3 would be the better because you would be able to catch them up with the older ones and get parity right away. 

How can you diss me for wanting more play with my roster when that is one of the top gripes from vets is that they have all these characters(they mean the 70+ 4*'s btw) just sitting on the shelf getting dusty? I don't care what tier the Character is, if they are fun to play or popular I would like more opportunities to use them. I enjoy puzzling more than thanos speed matching my way through PvE and would welcome different gameplay types or allowing Prologue to be replayed as a heroic type difficulty ala Super Mario Brothers: there have been several good ideas being floated recently for new gameplay types.
    The idea isn't for just more dilution at lower tiers its about expanding the play at those levels with characters whose mechanics are absent or Characters who are fan draws to entice you to keep playing while you stare at the insurmountable (pay)wall of 4*s. Coming back with just do an alt if you love it so much is dismissive and mis-characterizes the point. 
    Devs have mentioned several things repeatedly that they turned around and gone ahead and changed. That's hardly a measuring stick since it is so few and far between and sometimes is specious in its actual implementation (Get ready for more 4*'s comes to mind)

I'm not trying to say 5* play is stupid and pointless(others have and I disagree) but don't sit on your lofty mountain top and disparage everyone else either. The vocal 5* players who just shoot down the idea because they don't themselves see the need is extremely self centered. Google up when players on Mobile FtP games actually spend money. Mostly it's at the start. so making it better for newbs is in the best interest of all. But I guess the game should cater to only 5*'s now because that is where the forum is at? According to Rockets threads less and less.......
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    No thanks, I'm already dealing with enough dilution as it is. Adding 1s and 2s is a pointless endeavor for the devs as the time spent in that tier is minimal. Most people get stuck in the 3 and 4 star block. 
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Seeing this topic, I think I'm one of the few that don't care that much about the characters outside the game. I mean, when I'm playing I only care for what they do inside the game: animation, powers and that stuff. They could be Spider-Man or that C-list character that I couldn't care less. In fact, sometimes I like these characters in the game so much that I even search for their stories (hello, Chavez!).

With that said, I agree with @mega ghost when he says that the MCU variation of the characters should be in the 2* tiers for the same reasons he stated, but I also think that the devs should keep releasing these less known characters to make the game less MCU dependant and to wake our interest on their original materials.

About the OP: I don't care that much for 2 and 1 stars, but please, please, please, release a few more 3* characters!