What would be a 5* power that would change the PVP meta?

2»

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I'm not a fan of super specific counters, but a team up ap counter would be interesting. After the enemy uses their team up they would have no way of losing ap, so a passive that destroys team up ap and does damage would be good against anyone.

As for an anti passive, how about a power blocker? At the start of the match, you choose one enemy power to shut off completely.

How about a combination of Rogue and Carol, you choose a color that triggers an AOE and ap gain when they make a match.

I don't know if it would be meta defining, but we still need someone that speeds up repeaters

• Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Wanna change the meta?  Have a character that blocks enemy passives completely.  Either as a passive itself or a low AP countdown tile, maybe even at the beginning of the match until a certain damage threshold is reached similar to Peggy and her AP increase for enemy powers.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018
    Just throwing this out there...
    I'm not personally in the 5* meta stage, nor am I nearly as good as the rest of you at game-play innovations, but I love the potential that someone like Mysterio could hold...

5* Mysterio

Smoke...
    ~9AP

Something similar to CW Boss Iron Man's bots, putting up extra (weaker) "clone-like" illusions of himself.
    These clones must all be destroyed before the real Mysterio and his teammates can be attacked.
    Clones count as Mysterio for his "...And Mirrors" passive. Clones cannot attack or defend.

Opponents' AOE attacks will only target 3 characters prioritizing remaining clones BEFORE actual characters.

[[Note: Yes, these clones would be in addition to the 3 characters you currently have in the rotation.]]

...And Mirrors (passive)
    Any damage done to Mysterio that is triggered by or enhanced by a passive power is immediately replicated (even if any "Mysterio" is downed by this damage) against the enemy(s?) whose passive affected it. 
    [cover count could discount/enhance this mirrored damage, ie Lvl 1 = 50%, Lvl 3 = 100%, Level 5 = 150%]

[Mechanism added to avoid infinite dueling-Mysterio retaliation, OR... Maybe not?!?!]

Master Illusionist
    ~7AP

Removes X of your opponent's highest AP. Replaces X TU tiles on the board with tiles of YOUR strongest color. X AP are then added to your opponent's weakest AP color, dealing YYY damage for each AP in the opponent's weakest color.
    [Higher cover counts could also replace trap tiles, in addition to TUs]

Passive - Opponent's team receives a "phantom" burst heal to all of their characters, but ONLY on the opponent's turn. Health totals return to "actual" on each of YOUR turns.
    Downed characters do not receive this burst.

• Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    JHawkInc said:
    Maybe a passive that deals a little bit of damage to the opponent (or enemy team) when tiles are destroyed? Not matched tiles, but stuff destroyed by powers like Thor's passive, or Okoye's red, or Black Bolt's green. Something akin to Strange's yellow, but with a different trigger slightly more suited to countering the top current meta.

Or, when thinking about Bolt's yellow mentioned above, what about a 5* power that boosts characters of lower tiers? A 5* character designed to pair with 4*s and bring them up to the 5* power level? It'd need some fine tuning, you'd want enough of a drawback that it doesn't stop people from advancing to the 5* tier at all, but having a 5* that has the sole job of making all of your 4's viable again could be a game changer. It could also be a broken mess, but it's fun to theorize.
    Okoye says hi.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I'm not personally in the 5* meta stage, nor am I nearly as good as the rest of you at game-play innovations, but I love the potential that someone like Mysterio could hold...

5* Mysterio

Smoke...
    ~9AP

Something similar to CW Boss Iron Man's bots, putting up extra (weaker) "clone-like" illusions of himself.
    These clones must all be destroyed before the real Mysterio and his teammates can be attacked.
    Clones count as Mysterio for his "...And Mirrors" passive. Clones cannot attack or defend.

Opponents' AOE attacks will only target 3 characters prioritizing remaining clones BEFORE actual characters.

[[Note: Yes, these clones would be in addition to the 3 characters you currently have in the rotation.]]

...And Mirrors (passive)
    Any damage done to Mysterio that is triggered by or enhanced by a passive power is immediately replicated (even if any "Mysterio" is downed by this damage) against the enemy(s?) whose passive affected it. 
    [cover count could discount/enhance this mirrored damage, ie Lvl 1 = 50%, Lvl 3 = 100%, Level 5 = 150%]

[Mechanism added to avoid infinite dueling-Mysterio retaliation, OR... Maybe not?!?!]

Master Illusionist
    ~7AP

Removes X of your opponent's highest AP. Replaces X TU tiles on the board with tiles of YOUR strongest color. X AP are then added to your opponent's weakest AP color, dealing YYY damage for each AP in the opponent's weakest color.

Passive - Opponent's team receives a "phantom" burst heal to all of their characters, but ONLY on the opponent's turn. Health totals return to "actual" on each of YOUR turns.

I really like this. A few suggestions for the clones

At 1 cover creates one clone, replacing the lowest health character on your team. 
    Clones must be targeted first. 
    At 5 covers creates 2 clones, replacing everyone but Mysterio. In this way it’s like making your team invisible but instead of an invisibility tile or CD it lasts until the clones health is depleted. Also leaves Mysterio vulnerable to AOEs. 
    Higher levels/covers add more health. 
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018

5* Mysterio

Smoke...
    ~9AP

...And Mirrors (passive)

Master Illusionist
    ~7AP

I really like this. A few suggestions for the clones

At 1 cover creates one clone, replacing the lowest health character on your team. 
    Clones must be targeted first. 
    At 5 covers creates 2 clones, replacing everyone but Mysterio. In this way it’s like making your team invisible but instead of an invisibility tile or CD it lasts until the clones health is depleted. Also leaves Mysterio vulnerable to AOEs. 
    Higher levels/covers add more health. 
    I like that! Plus it doesn't add to the awkward interface/etc. issues with having more than 3 characters.

My initial desire, however, was/is to have the other two non-Mysterio characters still be options on offense while clone are intervening on defense.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2018
    My thoughts exactly. Flavour wise the clones replace your teammates but in terms of game mechanics it’s basically just a meat shield. Assuming the clones disappear when Mysterio dies (of course they do) it slows your opponent down or forces them to use AOEs to get to you. 

While I certainly like the idea I suspect actual 5* players won’t as they typically frown on powers that only serve to slow play down. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    kk3thess said:
    A change of colors, kinda like Cloak and Dagger mechanic.

A character has a combination of color that's red/yellow/black. Red and yellow deals certain amount of damage for 6 AP. Black changes the colors for, let's say, 16 AP. Now the character has a configuration of Green/Blue/Purple. You maintain the AP that you gained before and can fire it for the same cost. 

Not exactly game-changing, but it would be cool, I think.
    This sounds like a fun Sentry/Void 5* idea.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's some powers I'd like to see in the game:

1) Deception (7 Black):  Distracts your opponent and then swaps AP pools with them. At 1 cover swaps your lowest 3 AP pools with the enemies, 2 covers - lowest 4 pools, 3 covers - lowest 5 pools, 4 covers - lowest 6 pools, 5 covers - all pools. By swap I mean it only swaps if it improves your pool so if you had 3 Blue and your opponent had 4 Blue it would swap them so you'd have 4 and your opponent would have 3 otherwise it would do nothing in Blue.  Swaps only happen in like colors (Blue for Blue).

This power would have been cool on 5* Loki but could easily go on a 5* Mysterio!

2) Alter Reality (Purple Passive - maybe needs an active component too?): Changes the Gem drop percentages for both sides. Currently these are 15% for colors and 10% for TU. At 1 cover increases your strongest 3 colors by 1% and lowers your weakest 3 by 1% (the 6 colors would be 16/16/16/14/14/14). 2 covers, 2%, 3 covers 3%, 4 covers 4% and 5 covers 5% (the 6 colors would be 20/20/20/10/10/10).

Meant for a Omega level Mutant like 5* Professor X or Legion.

3) Protect AP (Yellow passive). Works exactly like Lockjaw's 'Dog that Bit You' only it triggers when your AP is stolen or destroyed so that it protects against all those annoying AP stealers/destroyers like She Hulk, Loki, Hood, Kingpin and so on.  Needs a better name than Protect AP so open to suggestions on that. Damage would ramp up per cover like Lockjaw.

This power is really needed on a 3*/5* double release  (a good reason to have such a release) since the AP stealing/destruction starts in the 3* tier.

Not sure if any of these are meta defining but they'd add something new to the game.

KGB
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    dokiy said:
    A power that destroyed all the enemies strongest color on the board AND destroyed their AP, AND gave you that AP. 
    I see what you did there lol XD Gosh, I really wonder if this power exists today, will it still be op or not. It was op at that time though.

Back to the topic, I guess I want to see the following powers in the game:

- Deals damage per AP gain for gaining AP from a power and not a match-3. (punish AP gain power)
         - This would be a soft counter to 5*Thor, JJ, 5* Gambit

- If the enemy fires a power that destroy tiles on the board, deal damage and/or gain AP for each tiles destroyed by the opponent (punish boardshake power)

- Reverses any healing into damage instead (punish burst heal/true heal)

- A passive that buff special tiles every time a Repeater is activated. 4* Carol with those repeating CD tiles were kinda meta changing back then before they introduced Repeater tiles. I suppose it's a power worth 5* level. We need more powers playing with a Repeater Tile anyway.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Medusa 5*
    Nuff Said...
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2018
    If we apply some of 4* passive powers to 5*, they can be meta.
    For example:

Peggy yellow
    Chavez
    Ghost blue ( this power could be very powerful, I found champion ghost can tank many color from my champion thor in new PVE)
    Vulture black
    SL yellow or shuri red

3* Hood blue 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Roland113 said:
    Wanna change the meta?  Have a character that blocks enemy passives completely.  Either as a passive itself or a low AP countdown tile, maybe even at the beginning of the match until a certain damage threshold is reached similar to Peggy and her AP increase for enemy powers.
    I think enough characters have passives that define who they are to the extent that this type of ability is no longer feasible. Also there's a very blurry line for multi-part powers, as well as powers that create tiles that have a continuous effect vs powers that create tiles that then trigger a character's passive.

For example, is the part of Chain Whip that converts the power to Judgment Day an effect of the CD tile, or a passive ability of Ghost Rider?
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Roland113 said:
    I think enough characters have passives that define who they are to the extent that this type of ability is no longer feasible. Also there's a very blurry line for multi-part powers, as well as powers that create tiles that have a continuous effect vs powers that create tiles that then trigger a character's passive.

For example, is the part of Chain Whip that converts the power to Judgment Day an effect of the CD tile, or a passive ability of Ghost Rider?
    Oh, I'm not saying it would be a good idea, it would certainly move the meta though.

I think for multi part powers, it would only block the passive component.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor

Exactly, so my idea was to shut off a power completely. Just nullify a chosen ability, either passively at the start, or tied to some conditions. Or for AP, so you can shut down multiple powers.  Maybe its not even tied to the character, so stuns or downs don't reverse it.
  • Polly_P1
    Polly_P1 Posts: 99 Match Maker
    A power that can turn an enemy against its own team. A mind control power. I always thought they missed an opertunity for that with Pro. X. 

1- cover - match damage when controlled player makes a match - last 1 turn

2 covers - can fire a power

3 covers - last 2 turns

4- covers- matches now generate AP

5- covers - can fire all powers and last 3 turns.

it needs some work, but there is a start
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since we just had a Valkyrie Crash of the Titans with her Dragonfang Fury ability, how about a passive for our 5-star (Juggernaut?) that lets all match damage trample over to the other characters.

For each cover that you have in this skill, 5-10% match damage gets applied to the non-targeted enemies.  If your match would do 500 damage, it would do 500 to the person in front, and 25 damage to each of the other two people on the enemy team.  At five covers, it would do, say 30% of match damage that character makes and 10% of ability damage also tramples over to the other two enemy team members?
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I think a mechanic that would throw off the Thor meta would be something that triggers off this hypothetical character's death or the order in which their team is KO'd.  Something that would penalize the player for leaving the enemy Thor last, or KOing this new character first.  Im thinking like the Xfactor system in Marvel v Capcom 3.  
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    himatako said:
    dokiy said:
    A power that destroyed all the enemies strongest color on the board AND destroyed their AP, AND gave you that AP. 
    I see what you did there lol XD Gosh, I really wonder if this power exists today, will it still be op or not. It was op at that time though.

Back to the topic, I guess I want to see the following powers in the game:

- Deals damage per AP gain for gaining AP from a power and not a match-3. (punish AP gain power)
         - This would be a soft counter to 5*Thor, JJ, 5* Gambit

- If the enemy fires a power that destroy tiles on the board, deal damage and/or gain AP for each tiles destroyed by the opponent (punish boardshake power)

- Reverses any healing into damage instead (punish burst heal/true heal)

- A passive that buff special tiles every time a Repeater is activated. 4* Carol with those repeating CD tiles were kinda meta changing back then before they introduced Repeater tiles. I suppose it's a power worth 5* level. We need more powers playing with a Repeater Tile anyway.
    Haha. I was hoping someone was going to get the old X Force Wolvie power: