Preconstructed Decks - A Waste of Deck Slots

Options
2»

Comments

• ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anyway, this was just anecdotal, your statement remains valid.. They're useless, except for the rewards. 

...and the rewards are pretty much just a very small bonus because if you actually chase even a single card to "complete" the deck, then you totally wasted more resources than you got back on it...

For me, these decks pretty much are "oh look, another annoying notification I need to clear...."
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    khurram said:

In short, those decks are a waste of perfectly good space. Players need more deck slots to save decks that they actually want to use. Once a player completes one of those precon decks they should be able to edit and customize it. I think that's fair and will really go a long way.
    Me, over two years ago, making basically the same suggestion. I have nothing to add but: good luck!
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't know. I did notice that Fblthp's preconstructed decks appeared to have at least a little bit of thought put into them. But only Hibernum/Oktagon/D3 have statistics on how many people actually use those decks. My guess is, outside of Bronze mastery (which is why I tied unlocking the deck slots to mastery), almost nobody, ever. You'd think any halfway-sensible UI designer they might have over there would throw a fit over having all these buttons that nobody ever actually wants to push, but it's been years...
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Stormcrow said:
    I don't know. I did notice that Fblthp's preconstructed decks appeared to have at least a little bit of thought put into them. But only Hibernum/Oktagon/D3 have statistics on how many people actually use those decks. My guess is, outside of Bronze mastery (which is why I tied unlocking the deck slots to mastery), almost nobody, ever. You'd think any halfway-sensible UI designer they might have over there would throw a fit over having all these buttons that nobody ever actually wants to push, but it's been years...
    Lol you think they have a UI designer.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Of course they do.  I have no problem with giving feedback on negative experiences, but frankly this seems cheap, nasty, and misplaced.  The decision to have preconstructed decks is not a UI design decision.  And going by the number of complaints ever raised in different categories, the UI designers have done a relatively good job on this game.

I agree the preconstructed decks aren't of any use to experienced players, even though they possibly help unconnected beginners with basic deck building ideas.  My guess is that Oktagon and/or Hibernum know the precons are useless to many players but have made addressing that a low priority.  Most posters here aren't providing any reasons why that priority should be raised (and it's not even clear that many people believe it should be a high priority).
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2019
    Options
    starfall said:
    Volrak said:

And going by the number of complaints ever raised in different categories, the UI designers have done a relatively good job on this game.
    The scrollbar at the bottom of the deckbuilding screen begs to differ.
    The fiddlyness of that scrollbar is a UI development issue, not UI design.  And even if we agree to conflate those roles, I am pretty sure you aren't claiming that UI issues are either more common or more critical than general code issues... are you?  (Though it's certainly true that UI development in the game has far more to answer for than UI design.)
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Volrak said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Of course they do.  I have no problem with giving feedback on negative experiences, but frankly this seems cheap, nasty, and misplaced.  The decision to have preconstructed decks is not a UI design decision.  And going by the number of complaints ever raised in different categories, the UI designers have done a relatively good job on this game.

I agree the preconstructed decks aren't of any use to experienced players, even though they possibly help unconnected beginners with basic deck building ideas.  My guess is that Oktagon and/or Hibernum know the precons are useless to many players but have made addressing that a low priority.  Most posters here aren't providing any reasons why that priority should be raised (and it's not even clear that many people believe it should be a high priority).
    You're right, I let my frustrations with the game in general get the best of me there.  I apologize.

Although to be fair, ever since Hibernium removed the Mana Wheel loading pinwheel I have been very mad with the UI designer anyway.

Back on subject, the preconstructed decks were made to be guides for new players.  The issue is, they are terrible decks.  Any new player trying to emulate them won't be learning any sort of proper deckbuilding technique except to throw as many mythics in a deck as possible (which does work, but come on)
  • ShaarkBiite
    ShaarkBiite Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Volrak said:
    ... Snip...
    Getting back on track... New players don't have those cards and those cards don't generally make sense to use together, so there doesn't seem to be much of a point.

It takes time to craft a good deck. I like to play this game in my spare time. I want to be able to pick a PW, pick a basic deck, do a one or two card adjustment for a secondary objective, and play. I don't want to look through 1564 cards every time I play. And the new coalition event with deck restrictions is a pain. Yes, I know, some of you love deck building and some have a why-would-anyone
    -play-this-game-if-they-didn't-attitude, but if something made playing easier  and made more people engage in more events  send like it'd be a win for the game.

It'd be cool to have deck slots based on restrictions (legacy, standard, and Ravnica, along side an event deck and story mode deck). It would encourage more people to play. Yes, VIP can have a tinykitty ton of decks, but, I would argue, that the people most helped by more deck slots are casual players that maybe aren't that good yet, not the people with the spreadsheets and the VIP packages. 
  • ALEJANDROID
    ALEJANDROID Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    i would just like to see them below the decks i build when i'm choosing a deck to play.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments on the original thread topic of the Beginner / Expert / Master decks that come with Planeswalkers.

If you wish to discuss UI design or development, then please start another thread to do so. Thank you!
  • Nyarlathotep
    Nyarlathotep Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    *Please keep all comments on the original thread topic of the Beginner / Expert / Master decks that come with Planeswalkers.

If you wish to discuss UI design or development, then please start another thread to do so. Thank you!
    I won't say you are wrong, since i know the rules. 

But:

First of all, i thought this was general discussion. And General discussions do tend to go off the rails every now and then... 

And second, nothing is ever going to happen to those garbage deck slots. 
    I remember seeing these threads pop up again and again and again and once more.
    Did the devs ever care about it? 🤔 
    I don't think so.
    At least i can not remember a single time anyone of the community managers, mods or devs say a single word about it. 

The purpose seems to be to collect the cards and get rewarded as soon as a deck is completed and nothing else. 
    No one i know ever used any of those decks in any event. 

• SolRing
    SolRing Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yeah those beginner, expert, master decks are pointless. Beginners cant actually use any of them and by the time you get the random mythics to "unlock" the latter two you will likely be seasoned enough to never touch them.

At bare minimum the precon decks should allow a player to directly purchase the cards inside them. However this also begs the question of why are most of them random non-synergy cards?

They should just disappear without fanfare. I doubt the concept us worth developmental resources.