How do you feel about B4T?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    nerdstrap said:
    jimpark - Mistcaller (also mythic) only costs 9 and completely shuts down 5.1 and many other battles :sunglasses:
    Mistcaller is the clear winner of the weekend. It does so many of the things. 
    Agreed. But a card all my grinding could not give me. Sad face. lol
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    jimpark said:
    Brakkis said:
    I still dislike 3.2, all of 4.x, 5.1 and 5.2

With 3.2 I've never even bothered with the "Take 15 or less damage" objective. The AI can deal that after dropping a single creature the next turn. The entirety of 4.x is just too much of a grind with each of the 3 nodes there feeling like a Bolas slog-fest. As for 5.1, I will never try for the "Win with 20 or less HP remaining" objective either.

As for 5.2 ... I've never liked it. Even with the Immortal Sun or just straight Samut nuking it, it's never been an enjoyable node and I've always felt that its ability to one shot you after cascading out a couple of treasure coves in a row was an asinine ability.
    For 5.1, the key is to use admiral beckett to control the board without killing your opponents creatures since stealing counts as killing my own creatures. Also Dowsing dagger and In bolas clutches till you stabilize after low life and can replace it for one his many stack of golems. Easy-peasy.

For 4.1, same deal use admiral beckett, this way when your opponent casts slaughter the strong he can't suicide creatures he doesn't have.

3.2 and 5.2 are luck based but a kiora deck works like a charm - there's your hint. And for 5.2 I recommend sorc's spyglass with BSZ to combo it out. Also I don't think I can share this deck cause the base idea was not initially mine to begin with; I think I need permission first? Not sure.

I like the "win with 20 or less HP remaining"
    I didn't like the kill within x turns when I couldn't do it before but now that I can I don't mind it.

I believe, unfortunately, these difficult objectives are necessary to split the leaderboards from all having the same score from easy events. Although luck is involved, it comes down to how well you build your deck to battle against bad luck.
    You do realize that these solutions you’re offering include cards that most players don’t have, right? 

Thats the thing about this event, especially in this new Standard — it requires a very elite collection to be successful. 

Other PVE with some time and creativity, even players in their first month can beat the late levels. Not this one.

This event just crushes their souls. 
    I
     agree and disagree with you here.
    What's the problem with new players not being able to clear endgame content immediately? AM totally crushed me when I was new. Node 3 was the end of the line for me. I didn't complain.. After a while, I managed to win on node 3, and sometimes on 4..that felt good! That's progression! Too bad the event ended then.. But when it returned 9 months ago it was great to see how much I've advanced. And didn't you ask for endgame content as well? 
    Before cycling, I can't remember anyone thinking that way. Anyway, that doesn't change at all that this event isn't really fun, but it's the worst event when you have to catch up some refreshes.

Here I would say that a new player shouldn't be able to clear end game content, but they shouldn't be stuck on the node they can't clear for the entire remainder of the event.

Some form of ability to go back and play previous nodes you're capable of doing with your weaker collection without having to power through the harder node should be put in the game. It assists you with increasing your progression and hopefully improving your collection without locking you out of the remainder of the event.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I‘m actually having fun with this one. I’m using PWs I wasn’t able to use before (because I’ve only recently been able to level them—more runes please!). 

It is also very interesting to see the bottom bit of the coalition leaderboards. I don’t doubt that progression alone is enough to make me top 1000. While I certainly don’t agree with the suggestion to purge the least active coalitions, I do very much think that there ought to be a more efficient way to match active players with active teams. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Most of it is easier now than it used to be... I even beat 5.2 in < 10 turns for the first time ever with Samut huge dinos.

As well as Haphazard Bombardment making some stuff easy, the variety of red support destruction is crazy. Alpine Moon can control 5.2 almost completely by itself, but we also have a TON of prevent damage options in both green and black right now.
    In the past there were only a few ways to do stuff, now there are TONS of different ways.

(I'm mostly losing points on "play 6 pirates" because it's way too dull to drag that particular fight out so long...)
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If only I could get Alpine Moon and/or Haphazard Bombardment

5.2 took me out in 3 turns this time around by just ramping out treasures and getting the city's blessing. I hadn't even drawn Immortal Sun by then, let alone played it.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Samut mostly ends up being the best bet at the moment with Vraska bugged. Demolish + Ooze gives you a fast not rare start to give you time for LM or Immortal Sun or whatever other longer term solution you want and Thunderhead Migration can wipe out treasures while accelerating you.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    BoFT gives the richest Progression rewards of all the events. I'm guessing those will have to be adjusted too if the event itself is adjusted.
  • RithPrimeval
    RithPrimeval Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just made a quick calculation based on enemy hp's and expected number of charges: total hp we have to grind through for B4t is 10350. Compared to Avacyn's madness 8244 and RotgP 9900. So on top of the **** objectives it's 2k more hp to grind through than a comparable 5 node event. RotgP has a similar amount but we only have to build 6 decks less (and matches are less grind imo due to deck contents and abilities of the bosses + no infi gem complication). Tldr: my conclusion is b4t sucks.. 
  • MtgPQPro
    MtgPQPro Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Agreed 100% this event (many events really) can be tedious.  If the game speed was improved so you could skip some of the repetitive parts it would help the game experience.

Playing a 20 minute match you have already beat 2 times is the worst.  If that same match was 3 minutes everyone would be happier.  

Side note, faster matches means more runes earned per hour and that solves a much bigger problem.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just made a quick calculation based on enemy hp's and expected number of charges: total hp we have to grind through for B4t is 10350. Compared to Avacyn's madness 8244 and RotgP 9900. So on top of the tinykitty objectives it's 2k more hp to grind through than a comparable 5 node event. RotgP has a similar amount but we only have to build 6 decks less (and matches are less grind imo due to deck contents and abilities of the bosses + no infi gem complication). Tldr: my conclusion is b4t sucks.. 
    Event health is irrelevant, though. The event will still expire when the time runs out even if the event health doesn't run out, and there's no additional reward for killing it before that time. I get it's an annoyance for some, but at least for me, it's a non-issue, especially compared to the actual gameplay of the event.
  • BATMAN1
    BATMAN1 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Please don’t run BOFT again. The battles are too long, the event is too long, and with out cycling the objectives are such a pain. I want to live my life in the weekend not be stuck doing really long redundant matches. 
    On top of being too long the matches aren’t any fun and grinding through feels like a chore. 

So please resist the need to run this event again. 
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Just made a quick calculation based on enemy hp's and expected number of charges: total hp we have to grind through for B4t is 10350. Compared to Avacyn's madness 8244 and RotgP 9900. So on top of the tinykitty objectives it's 2k more hp to grind through than a comparable 5 node event. RotgP has a similar amount but we only have to build 6 decks less (and matches are less grind imo due to deck contents and abilities of the bosses + no infi gem complication). Tldr: my conclusion is b4t sucks.. 
    Event health is irrelevant, though. The event will still expire when the time runs out even if the event health doesn't run out, and there's no additional reward for killing it before that time. I get it's an annoyance for some, but at least for me, it's a non-issue, especially compared to the actual gameplay of the event.
    I think RithPrimeval is referring to the total health of the opponents in each node multiplied by the number of charges before the event ends, not the event health.

The logic is that there is more health to grind through and hence one has to spend more time on clearing the charges. But Avacyn's Madness is the oldest coalition PvE event so it's not surprising that there has been a creep in boss health and difficulty to match the power creep in the sets.

I'd say the fact that BoFT only has 450 more hp than RotGP over its entire run despite being a 5-node event as opposed to RotGP being a 3-node event actually means it isn't that much more grindy.

And it takes like half a minute for one to fill out the event slot for each opponent as long as you save a copy of your decklist from the previous event.

And if the concern is that one has to be creative to rebuild their decks whenever a new set comes along and causes one's favoured deck to rotate out of Standard, I'll only say that MTG is a game where deckbuilding matters.

Disclaimer: I did not check the math on the opponent health.
  • NellieFloor
    NellieFloor Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Event health could very well be another factor to be taken into account when evaluating and rethinking this event. The more event health you have to crush, the longer it takes to play one game. You need more time killing those several 300+, 400+ and 500+ opponents, and especially when you have a weaker set of cards.
    Time a lot of people don't have in such a difficult event that ends on a Monday... 

• tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think all PVEs should have a format where points were only awarded once per match/objective. That way, once you had mastered a node, you wouldn't have to deal with that any more. The coalitions could then focus on the difficult objectives and nodes, to get as many players as possible in a situation where they can get those points. I think that would be great fun!
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's a long event but not truly ridiculous.  I enjoy the challenge.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's too poorly thought out to be fun. 
    The challenge is to be lucky and avoid bugs (not all related to BoFT though).

I've had some ridiculous matches where Greg just went rampant and smashed me (turn 2 Azors Gate loss!).

And many tedious ones where Greg just kills/bounce your creatures and keeps the game in stalemate. 
    Having 100+ rounds against Elenda, Azor, Azors Gate without Greg being near getting an upper hand is just bad. 
    And to top it off you end up with a freeze at the last round making it all for nothing.

Node 1, 2 and 3 are ok. Decent objectives and most can be dealt with by many deck options. And they are not very drawn out.

Node 4 and 5 though are very tedious and can take forever to complete. Or luck can be against you for one turn, making you insta-lose.

I would like to see it remade into a ladder PvE like the old events so you can play through at your own will and pace.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I enjoy the bosses and specialized gems that add a bit of flavor, but the time commitment is too much.  I'm all grinded out.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ^^^ this
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2018
    Options
    imo, effort & payout for BoFT is reasonable, we can get 2 mythics (or 1000 orbs) & super pack as rewards for top10.
    i prefer Boft & AVM than ROTTEN of the God Pharaoh.
    But we need Okatgon to fix the bugs in this event.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't stand it...

Anyway, brings up an interesting point.  They seem to run it 1 time per set rotation now.  This seems intentional, with them thinking that a rotation in cards will cause some fun because it forces us to change up our decks.  I find myself just getting annoyed at the event and the monotony of creating new decks for the same arduous battles.