Hoarding: My List of 300 Pulls from the Latest Legends Vault

I began hoarding LL's and CP's back when it was still Latest and Vintage 4-stars, because I had nearly all 12 of the latest fully covered.  I hit 300 pulls yesterday so I dropped my hoard.   Below is the list of 4- and 5-star characters in the LL vault and how many of each I drew.  I gained approximately 300k iso, 1,150 hp, 194 cp, and 3 ranks on my SCL from all the character level ups.  I also earned another 23 LL tokens.  I find the data from my pulls interesting so I thought I'd share in case others are sitting on a hoard or contemplating it.  Enjoy!

I have one question now that it's over -- I have about 13 4-star characters that are fully covered but still sitting on level 70.  Should I continue spending iso to level them up, or should I begin pouring my iso into my 5-stars.  I already have Gambit and Thor at 13 covers, and now Wasp, Loki, and Okoye.  I love the 4-star game and using a variety of characters each week, but it seems like 5-stars are the ultimate goal.  Any advice is welcome.  Thanks.

4-Star Character List     # Drawn                              

agent coulson                   4                             

agent venom                     3                             

america chavez                 5                             

ant-man                             4                             

black panther                     1                             

black widow                       4                             

blade                                 5                             

captain marvel                    4                             

carnage                              5                             

hulk (totally awesome)        2                             

cloak dagger                       4                             

cyclops                               2                             

deadpool                            3                             

drax                                    3                             

elektra                                8                             

emma frost                         5                             

gamora                              5                             

ghost                                  5                             

ghost rider                          4                             

gwenpool                            2                             

iceman                               1                             

invisible woman                  1                             

iron fist                                5                             

iron man                              7                             

jean grey                             3                             

jubilee                                 6                             

kate bishop                         4                             

kingpin                                3                             

kraven the hunter                3                             

lockjaw                                5                             

luke cage                             4                             

hulk (main event)                4                             

medusa                               6                             

miles morales                    1                             

mockingbird                       6                             

moon knight                       5                             

mordo                                2                             

mr fantastic                        4                             

nick fury                              7                             

nico minoru                        4                             

nightcrawler                       2                             

nova                                  4                             

peggy carter                       3                             

professor x                         0                             

punisher                              2                             

quake                                 4                             

red hulk                              3                             

riri williams                         1                             

rocket & groot                     3                             

rogue                                 3                             

sam wilson                          3                             

sandman                             4                             

shuri                                    2                             

spider-gwen                        2                             

spider-man                         3                             

spider-woman                     4                             

star-lord                               6                             

the thing                              5                             

thor                                     4                             

valkyrie                               4                             

venom                                 7                             

vulture                                5                             

war machine                      7                             

wasp                                  2                             

wiccan                               3                             

winter soldier                    3                             

wolverine x force                5                             

x-23                                     3                             

yondu                                 2                             

Subtotal                               258                        

5-Star Character List                                                       

loki                                  13                          

okoye                              14                          

wasp                               15                          

Subtotal                           42                          

Bonus Hero (4 star)           13                           5.04%

Bonus Hero (5 star)             3                           7.14%

Grand Total                         316                        5.33%

Comments

• ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Wow. An amazingly even distribution among the 3 latest 5* toons. Hope you have enough of the right covers to champ Okoye. If you do, I would start hoarding again until a better class comes along.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 290 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the list.  Pretty nice haul overall.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    With us so close to Anniversary I think I would have just waited a bit to see if there was a big 5* revealed or possibly a new feature that helps lower the amount of dilution. And for myself with Dazzler announced and looking like a really solid 4* I'm probably gonna hold off until she enters tokens before I cash in my cp. To answer your question it depends on what you value more, leveling up your 5s so you can get into the 5* game quicker or if you want to level up your 4s to at least 209 so that you can get an extra 4* cover from Shield Training on new releases. I would probably get my 4s up to 209, then start leveling my 5s so that they are really usable and then go back and champ the 4s.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    First, I want to say how lucky you are, I hope you realize that.  Getting an even distribution is rare.  Anyway, If I were you, I would start leveling up evenly Thor, Okoye and Gambit and play them.  That would be new and exciting I think.  As you slowly level them up together, you should see a change in your opponents.  If you don't like that change, then stop and go back to champing 4*s and live there until you have more 5*s to champ.  I assume that you're getting near the end of champing 4*s?  If so, it's time to move on to 5*s.  Doing the same thing over and over, no matter what it is, will get boring. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I recently transitioned to the 5* game.  PvE is MUCH faster and easier. PvP is much more tedious, because it's always the same teams over and over with little to no variety, BUT I score much better and shields hops are way more consistent. So, figure out what your priorities are... If you want a varied PvP experience where a good portion of your roster is still usable, stick to the 4's.  If you want to compete, spend less time playing overall, but always use and face the same teams over and over, put the iso into the 5's and enjoy the ride.

My thoughts:  I am more bored than I was previously, but it's hard to argue with hitting 1200 pretty much every PvP (when trying).
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Speaking as one of those people who is still early in the 5* transition in some sense (5 5* champs; Thor, DD, JJ, Gambit and Phoenix), the answer to the question is what do you want?

@Borstock is correct. You'll see more of the same teams in 5* land (some combination of Thor/JJ/Okoye, with some Panthos, Bolt and others mixed in). You'll also play with a lot of the same teams (for me, Thor/JJ in PVE, and Thor/JJ/America in Sim). You'll find it easier to score, but you'll also get hit more; getting to 1200 is not that hard (1-2 hops at most), staying there unshielded is impossible. 

Essentially you'll lose the variety. The 4* level is rich in variety, the 5* level is not, espcially since there is a wide range of character quality at that level (the bottom third is really non-competitive; wasp and banner are bad, Gambit after the nerf bat isn't much better, and the couple of tiers above like BSSM, Ock, Goblin, Widow, First Avenger Capetc. are fodder). This leaves maybe 10 characters that you'll see, fortunately you have 2 of the best in Thor/Okoye.

So why do I love the 5* level? 2 reasons:
    1. PVE is a breeze. SCL8 is trivial, and SCL9 isn't that hard except for the 5th clear of the 5* essential. With not a lot of effort, T50 in SCL9 requires just a little planning.
    2. I find the PVE meta to be fascinating. When do you run? When do you float? When do you hop and how much? Can you coordinate with your alliance or find a battle chat to push your scores really high? Or, do you go it mostly alone and stand above the crowd? I no longer think too much about each match, but consider each event as being the area of focus, so I don't care that I play Thor/JJ in almost every match.

So the question is what interests you about the game. If you really enjoy the variety of the 4* tier, then going to 5* will not make you happy since you won't use your 4* seriously any more (you can use them in early stages of PVE, but not to score unless your 4* are close to 270 and then boosted). Do what gives you enjoyment.

This is just my view as a low-level 5* player, but I know I wouldn't go back.

• bbigler
    Doing anything, even winning, over and over can get boring.  The point of playing the game is to have fun, so, do the boring matches outweigh the added "fun" of better rewards and faster clears?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Doing anything, even winning, over and over can get boring.  The point of playing the game is to have fun, so, do the boring matches outweigh the added "fun" of better rewards and faster clears?
    Agreed. I enjoy the actual game and coming up with various teams rather than winning (I hit top 10 CL8, 900 PVP in one push and it’s enough for me). I have all but two 4* champed, and now that I have every 3* max-champed I can mix them in as well.

I have 5 max covered 5* (Thor, Okoye, Jessica, DD, Goblin), about 330 pulls that could get me another set of 3, and rather than champing them, I’m going to just bring them to the level of my top 4s and play a mix of 3s, 4s, and 5s. That level of variety is more important than winning slightly more prizes. 

My iso priorities in order are 

1. Invest in 4s as I get covers
    2. Champ my last 10 3* dupes so I have a self-sustaining farm (again, as I get covers)
    3. Then bring up all my maxed 4s simultaneously until they hit 300 (see how that works then decide if I want to go higher). 
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    It feels weird to think of myself as a 5* player as I only have 2 champed (Thor and JJ) however since champing them they're pretty much the only characters I use and my 4s, apart from the elite few, have basically fallen by the wayside.  I thought I would miss the variety once I crossed over into 5s but the speed and ease of PVE vastly reduces the tedium of the game.  Furthermore the tangible sense that you're "playing with the big boys" or so to speak in PVP and being able to consistently hit 1200 and place in the top 10 if I feel like putting in the effort imho vastly outweigh the downsides. 

The biggest downside of the 5* tier is the sense of "what next?"  Champing 4s isn't exciting anymore unless said 4s happen to be feeders for 5s.  They really need to open up the tier somewhat and make older 5s easier to cover.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    My situation is similar to Daredevil217's. I have 7 covered 5*s, but I haven't champed any of them. I'm still enjoying the 4* tier, so I'm not really in a hurry to jump up to 5* land because there's no going back once that happens. It helps that I'm in an awesome alliance family who helps me reach 1200 in every PVP, and I do just fine in SCL7 for PVE.

For now, I'm staying in 4* land until I get bored. I still have 11 4*s left to champ (that's including Devil Dino and Howard) along with a bunch of 3* dupes to champ, so that's where my ISO will be going. Maybe I'll put some ISO into my covered 5*s after that? It's hard to say because who knows what the 5* meta will be when I'm ready to take that step. I'll just wait and see. 
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    The point I was trying to make earlier is that it all depends. Faster clears and more rewards are not what's fun, and honestly PVE is mostly something to be endured... Also, you can run pretty much any teams you like in PVE even at SCL9; boosted 4s play well with your 5s and you get the variety, so I get some of the beat of the large roster there. 

Like I said, in PVP to me the goal isn't really to win matches. The way the 5* tier is set up, everybody will win most of their matches as long as they don't use bad characters and if they aren't unlucky (and if you are, oh well, go onto the next one). For me, the goal is to do figure out how to do the events; it's not getting to 900 or 1200, that doesn't take that much effort in 5* land (esp if you work within an alliance family) Instead, it's the rush of hopping when you know if you're out for too long there are lots of people out there that will take you. Of if (or when) to break at the end of the event to get T5. It's how much you boost at the beginning of the event, how long you let people hit and when you harvest the retaliations. When do you shield vs. when do you just float. It's coordinating with others to maximize score. 

That part of the game isn't for everyone. For people who like the varied rosters and are fine with 900 in PVP, @Daredevil217 's advice is fine. There's nothing wrong with it; the goal is to enjoy the game however you enjoy it. I've just found that since I moved to 5* the way I'm enjoying the game has changed, and I'm having more fun with it than ever.

• Daredevil217
    That’s another thing that makes me weary about the 5* jump. The whole coordinating with others, shield check rooms, making sure it’s okay to hit someone, hopping, not pissing off the wrong person/alliance, having to play enough to keep up with the meta, only 3 characters being viable, etc. 

I like being in a casual alliance, playing when I want, doing my single push to 900, hitting who I want along the way, and not worrying about when my characters are going to get nerfed or made obsolete. 

I agree with with the above that you should think about what’s important and make your decisions accordingly. I personally like the slow and steady approach because you can always move up but never back down. I’ve invested sooo much time in this game and enjoy it so much I’d hate to jump into the 5* tier full bore and get burnt out because I’m playing the same two characters and end up leaving altogether. I’m sure this wouldn’t happen for awhile and there’d be a honeymoon stage, but eventually I imagkne Thorkoye gets tedious. For others it may be the lengthier clear times that come with not having a 5* roster that leads to burnout? Just think about what’s important to you. 
  • Daredevil217
    OJSP said:
    That’s another thing that makes me weary about the 5* jump. The whole coordinating with others, shield check rooms, making sure it’s okay to hit someone, hopping, not pissing off the wrong person/alliance, having to play enough to keep up with the meta, only 3 characters being viable, etc. 
    You are playing in S2, join late and climb late. Coordination is irrelevant with your play style. Even if you upset the wrong people, what are they going to do? Dump their points and hit you until the end of the event?

I don’t play in any specific slice in PVP. It truly varies. I wait until the preview for the next event pops up to remind me to hop in the current PVP. I click on it and see if any slices are ending in the next 2-8 hours and will pick one. I’ve probably done every slice tbh. 
  • bbigler
    From the comments I've read, it looks like the best way to transition to 5* is very slowly.  Which means that you don't hoard at all, use CP to open Classics and slowly, slowly cover 5*s, while playing 4* Champs with some Max Champed 3*s and some half-covered 5*s.  This would give you the greatest gameplay variety, and isn't that the point of all of this. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    From the comments I've read, it looks like the best way to transition to 5* is very slowly.  Which means that you don't hoard at all, use CP to open Classics and slowly, slowly cover 5*s, while playing 4* Champs with some Max Champed 3*s and some half-covered 5*s.  This would give you the greatest gameplay variety, and isn't that the point of all of this. 
    No, that's for people who never, ever want to play at the 5* level.
  • Space Dwarf
    Space Dwarf Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    I dont get the love affair with the 4* tier. I just don’t. It doesn’t compare with 5* unless boosted to lvl 450+. At that point, you’re in 5* mmr. To the OP champ Thor & Okoye & don’t look back. Okoye makes all of your toons better. 
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018

I like being in a casual alliance, playing when I want, doing my single push to 900, hitting who I want along the way, and not worrying about when my characters are going to get nerfed or made obsolete. 

I also used to late climb to 900 and shield out, but recently I've decided to try for 1200. In 4* land, it's really really hard to hit 1200 without coordination, and I've found that the whole coordinating and shield checking thing isn't that bad at all. The climb to 900 is kind of like before. I do it in one sitting, but I don't feel any pressure to do it quickly unlike during some of my late climbs. Checking names and alliances before hitting has become a part of my routine since joining my alliance family, so that hasn't changed. Once I get to 900, it then becomes shield hops. Since you're hitting at most 3 people during a shield hop, you have plenty of time to queue them up, and it's not really much effort to double check on LINE that they're shielded before hitting.
  • bbigler
    Bowgentle said:
    bbigler said:
    Is it worth playing at the 5* level if you only have 3 x 5* Champs?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Bowgentle said:
    bbigler said:
    Is it worth playing at the 5* level if you only have 3 x 5* Champs?
    Those 3 Champs will let you champ all the following ones by letting you win more rewards.
    Of course it's worth it.