Shield Clearance Levels (SCLs) don't line up with actual roster strength

124»

Comments

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    PiMacleod said:

To follow up the last comment (sorry for not quoting ya), yeah, I imagine the top 1% is pretty stressful.  I also imagine the prize winnings of a $100k or higher tournament to be worth the stress.  These are digital in-game prizes that do nothing but keep you in that top 1%, just so you can repeat the cycle next event.  The FPS/fighting/RTS tourney crowd doesnt have to do that.  They just keep practicing...  If they dont win, they are not any further behind the other person that beat them than they were before.  Still same game, same skill level... Keep practicing.  Here, if you lose, the other person got the digital prize that keeps them ahead of you that much easier.  Sure, the top 1% in this game probably don't see that much of a difference in their rosters between themselves...  But that's probably because I'm looking at the giants from Jack's perspective.  :)

To be fair, tournament winners are much more elite than top 1%. Probably more like .001%.  Obviously its different when it actually is a job, instead of the in-game prizes being the reward. For many games, the ranking alone is the prize.
    The point I was making was that this is not really a puzzle game, it is a freemium loot collecting game. If Farmville was competitive, the top player would be the one who logged in and collected the rewards with the least amount of wasted time. When it comes down to it, thats what MPQ is.
    Nice example.  I can see how that applies.

Of course, I still live in the past (which is dumb, I know) where match 3 classic PQ style still intrigues me.  Not worrying about brackets and slices and when to play.  The only "when to play" I even semi-obey in here is when I can bash a boss in again!  :)

Still, I like your example, and can get behind it, even if I have a different view.

bbigler said:
    PiMacleod said:
    Then again, I find it silly that people spend $100 in single transaction for mobile game currency, so I guess I'm showing my age or something.
    I agree.  It's ridiculous that people spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a mobile game.  But, I understand why.  Many people have hobbies that they're willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on.  This game, for hardcore players, is their main hobby, so they don't have a problem spending some money on it.  For me (and probably most people here) this game is part fun and part work, which is what hobbies usually are.  For everyone else not trapped in a video game, this sounds crazy. 

I'm currently trapped in the game and find myself willing to spend money on it in order to accomplish my goals.  But I'm sure after I quit and look back I'll think of how crazy that was. 
    A good point.  I think of all games as a similar medium, and thus, I still equate the value of a game to the price of the disk at the store.  I'm still reeling over DLC price increases recently!  :: stupid horse armor! ::

...although, I guess I can't talk.  If you only knew how much I spent on the Rock Band franchise..... Sigh.  ;)