Shield Clearance Levels (SCLs) don't line up with actual roster strength

Comments

• shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    I agree with KGB.

Back when I was still playing I played the slacker bracket in SCL 8 slice 5 the same way. Did it without looking at the bracket flips. Sometime I lucked into a great spot and then went for top placement. Most of the time I entered in the 6-700 range, did six clears until the last day, and then played the final day optimal for a top 20 finish.

Never ever sign up at the start of the event or even in the first hour. Do that and it's more work for less rewards.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    I really, really don't understand the OP.

I mean, sure, you can't always handle new SCLs that open up... but isn't that much less annoying than the alternative? Wouldn't it be way way way more annoying to see a reward you want to push and struggle through a more difficult SCL that you believe you can just about handle... but the game doesn't allow you to?

Options are options. You don't have to take them. But if the game doesn't give you the option, then you can't. So I'd rather have the option to make it more difficult for myself if I chose to do that than be locked out when I think I could handle it.

(I actually did that several times-- pushed up to SCL 7 back when I had a roster that just about handled SCL 6 with a little difficulty (Seriously, I was using boosted 2s + a couple of freshly champed 3s back them, SCL 7 was hard!). Why? Because I actually had the 4* essential for ones, I liked/wanted that 4* essential cover and was prepared to struggle through some clears to earn it. Worked out and actually helped my roster development in the long run, too. Occasionally pushing upwards beyond my roster to get certain covers was very helpful during my early roster development, tbh. So back when I was a newbie, I often decided to push up at various stages. Pretty much jumped at SCL 6 too the moment I could, because 2x 3* covers are way more helpful when you're building up 3s.)

As for new players in general... well, yeah, they're gonna choose a harder SCL at some point than they could handle, but... so what? For the next event, they'll know what SCL they'll want to pick. And sure, SCL 9 opens at a point where nobody has the roster for it, but if you've opened SCL 9 then surely you aren't a newbie anymore and can be trusted to make an informed choice. ...or just trial and error it and conclude that it's too hard for your roster yet. Why is that a problem that needs to be fixed?

In fact, you said it yourself:

Sure, I can beat level 330 enemies, but it's hard and requires health packs.

Pushing upwards in SCL is generally hard and requires health packs, yes. But it may be worth it in some cases.

Being allowed to chose a SCL that's kinda above your roster is a feature, not a bug. You get better progression rewards, but you may have to struggle through it to get them. That's a choice. You don't need to make it "foolproof" so the game doesn't even allow you to attempt anything you may have a chance of losing.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2018
    As a PVE player, expected levels are well discribed when you choose your SCL.
    As for PVP player, it's more uncertainty. I don't play enough PVP to apprehend the matter.

Sure, higher the SCL, the better the rewards. But do you really need to go in a higher clearance only to get 500 iso and an additional token?
    I mean, I could go SCL9 since it's lunch. Still, I'm 80% playing in SCL 8, where I know I have the level. And only when I say myself 'I want a challenge' or 'I just want to scrap the alliance reward without doing a thing in this event' I go SCL9.

For me the answer is: Do your own research.
    Try once or twice in higher clearance and see yourself difficulty and 'extra' rewards you earned. Does it worth it? Yes, continue. No, stay in lower clearance.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    I must say it amuses me a bit to see people assuming that players would systematically get up at 2am or so just to do well in a game. Ever hear of time zones?? Anyone? Your 2 AM is someone elses "finally put the kids to bed so i can play a bit" PM. Not everyone is trying to be sneaky to beat you out, they just live on other continents. LOL

I'm UK based, so I'm only 5 hours ahead, still makes the end of alliance events pretty much impossible. It always starts at 5PM (good, convenient), but ends at 5 AM!!!! The last missions open at 1 am, so lets say 1 hour to do, i would always have to be up till 2 am or wake up at 4 to get it all done before finish. Haha. as if.

Anywho. I think people would complain twice as loud and long, if the game were in any way hindering their progress or restricting them. But i do kind of like the character restriction idea. Just like in DDQ lock out higher characters for lower tiers. Would be good for pvp too. It would keep the 5* characters to the upper lvls, and prevent having to fight them with 2* rosters.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    You know what's interesting to me?  

That this level of scrutiny and planning is existing in a forum for a Match 3 game.

I am so glad I'm in this elite-casual category that seems to get tossed around. 
    A)  been playing daily and looking forward to what the daily rewards at year 5 will give. 
    B )  play each event every day enough to get progression rewards that I'm aiming for...  I play in SCL 8 or 9, depending on my mood.
    C)  I play PvP enough to get the heroic 10 pack (usually).
    D)  the most 'hardcore' I play is when a boss hits.  Then I make extra time to clear all my nodes.
    E)  most importantly to note, barely spent any cash in this game.  Maybe $60 total over my 5+ years.  I say 5+ because of the beta time.  (Remember when they were still introducing 2*s and the Hulk event was new?  Ah, that was refreshing.)

I dont care about placement.  At one time, I played with the idea, and then I quickly saw that (much like how you are all reading here) people spend way too much time perfecting a strategy for a mobile match 3 game.  You can say "to each their own", and theres some truth to it, but I think the time may be equal or more than some pro Overwatch/CoD/League of Legends players (read: games that people actually make money competing in).

I've made my complaints in the past, but I also have to reel myself in from time to time.  Bottom line:  am I enjoying myself?  Is this game worth my time?  
    I think it is... And only because I don't care so much to shoot for placement awards.

I'm pretty sure our alliance would have lost a few newer players if I showed them the complexity and tenacity that these other players exhibit.  And for that, I'm grateful that these facts arent in our face in the game menus... Instead, they are tucked away here, on the forums.  Our alliance will stay "elite casual" (well, maybe 6 of us out of the 20 in the alliance)  :wink:

Edit:  I forgot that putting B ) without the space made a sunglasses emoji.  Had to correct.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:

That this level of scrutiny and planning is existing in a forum for a Match 3 game.

A)  been playing daily and looking forward to what the daily rewards at year 5 will give. 
    B )  play each event every day enough to get progression rewards that I'm aiming for...  I play in SCL 8 or 9, depending on my mood.
    D)  the most 'hardcore' I play is when a boss hits.  Then I make extra time to clear all my nodes.
    E)  most importantly to note, barely spent any cash in this game.  Maybe $60 total over my 5+ years.  I say 5+ because of the beta time.  (Remember when they were still introducing 2*s and the Hulk event was new?  Ah, that was refreshing.)

I dont care about placement.  At one time, I played with the idea, and then I quickly saw that (much like how you are all reading here) people spend way too much time perfecting a strategy for a mobile match 3 game.  You can say "to each their own", and theres some truth to it, but I think the time may be equal or more than some pro Overwatch/CoD/League of Legends players (read: games that people actually make money competing in).

I've made my complaints in the past, but I also have to reel myself in from time to time.  Bottom line:  am I enjoying myself?  Is this game worth my time?  
    I think it is... And only because I don't care so much to shoot for placement awards.

I'm pretty sure our alliance would have lost a few newer players if I showed them the complexity and tenacity that these other players exhibit.  And for that, I'm grateful that these facts arent in our face in the game menus... Instead, they are tucked away here, on the forums.  Our alliance will stay "elite casual" (well, maybe 6 of us out of the 20 in the alliance)  :wink:

Edit:  I forgot that putting B ) without the space made a sunglasses emoji.  Had to correct.
    heehehe

The difference is you need fast reflexes to win at Overwatch/CoD/League/Fifa/Starcraft.  Learning how Strange sights works is just a matter of paying attention and reading the leaderboards.

Alot of this is all easy common sense and learning from history, no need to make things complex when the simple answer will suffice.

in fact there is an entire sub genre of machine learning video game clips.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVwkLb8zxq0

• PiMacleod
    Phumade said:
    PiMacleod said:

heehehe

The difference is you need fast reflexes to win at Overwatch/CoD/League/Fifa/Starcraft.  Learning how Strange sights works is just a matter of paying attention and reading the leaderboards.

Alot of this is all easy common sense and learning from history, no need to make things complex when the simple answer will suffice.

Well, add in reflexes, and get real-life cash.  Take away the reflexes, to get this, and gain.... Just the mental stress?  :D

Kidding, really.... But yeah, I'm good on that.  Btw, I'm not joshing on those that play those games for money either.  Its gotta be a mental tax to invest that much time per day to practice, knowing that you get to miss out on other new games and fun.  
  • Phumade
    PiMacleod said:
    Phumade said:
    PiMacleod said:

heehehe

Well, add in reflexes, and get real-life cash.  Take away the reflexes, to get this, and gain.... Just the mental stress?  :D

Kidding, really.... But yeah, I'm good on that.  Btw, I'm not joshing on those that play those games for money either.  Its gotta be a mental tax to invest that much time per day to practice, knowing that you get to miss out on other new games and fun.  
    LOL its not the mental tax that makes those games hard.  They have faster reflexes and do more actions per second.  Thats long been documented.

You think its mental stress buts its not.  There are plenty of other real world analogs that model mmr (elo scoring) and prisoner scoring dilemmas.  Match -3 might be the core "game" mechanic.  But everything else is rooted in real world math, statistics, probability, and psychology.

• Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Who you see in PVP has nothing to do with clearance level. It just changes rewards. 

You get to pick which difficulty you want for PVE so I fail to see what the "trap" would be. If someone wants better rewards they can move up. 

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:

People with a common interest tend to want to find a community of other people to share that interest with especially if it's for a game that can be extremely competitive even if it's just a match three puzzle game.
  • PiMacleod
    Phumade said:
    PiMacleod said:
    Phumade said:
    PiMacleod said:

heehehe

LOL its not the mental tax that makes those games hard.  They have faster reflexes and do more actions per second.  Thats long been documented.

You think its mental stress buts its not.  There are plenty of other real world analogs that model mmr (elo scoring) and prisoner scoring dilemmas.  Match -3 might be the core "game" mechanic.  But everything else is rooted in real world math, statistics, probability, and psychology.

Whoa.... I would never EVER think that Overwatch/CoD/any FPS, RTS, or Fighting game had more mental stress than reflexes.  

The mental stress I was referring to was right here.  This. 

When ANYONE plays a FPS, no matter the skill level, they are NOT worrying about what time they start their match, how fast they complete it (just how quick their response time is), what 'slice' they are in, clearance levels, etc, etc, etc.... Read above for more examples.

In a FPS, you can control what you do, and you play at the same time as someone else.  Nothing else matters.  No time zones.  No nothing.  Just win.  If you want top placement, then just beat the people in front of you.  You can't do that here... You gotta not only win, but do it fast, and not join in until the last possible moment.  And some time zones have more difficulty than others.  And... Get the picture yet? 

THAT'S mental stress.  Its not even a puzzle game at that point.  Its micromanaging your free time in the real world versus how fast you can clear stages in the game.

If that's fun to you, then great... Kudos.  Have at it. ...I'm actually glad that there exists a game where you can practice your time management and match 3 roster against others with the same objective.

To me, I'll just keep playing, at my own time and pace.  No matter what the game -- yes, I play some of the other aforementioned games, too... This handle is my same handle on Xbox.  Look me up, if You're inclined.
  • Phumade
    PiMacleod said:

When ANYONE plays a FPS, no matter the skill level, they are NOT worrying about what time they start their match, how fast they complete it (just how quick their response time is), what 'slice' they are in, clearance levels, etc, etc, etc.... Read above for more examples.

In a FPS, you can control what you do, and you play at the same time as someone else.  Nothing else matters.  No time zones.  No nothing.  Just win.  If you want top placement, then just beat the people in front of you.  You can't do that here... You gotta not only win, but do it fast, and not join in until the last possible moment.  And some time zones have more difficulty than others.  And... Get the picture yet? 

THAT'S mental stress.  Its not even a puzzle game at that point.  Its micromanaging your free time in the real world versus how fast you can clear stages in the game.

Have you not played in a squad with good players?  Almost every ranked match I've ever played revolves around managing and maintaining control of zones and forcing players through choke points.  Very few good COD players actually play rambo style.  In fact how good you are at communicating on the headset is probably the only real leveler in COD.

In any case, that is't mental stress. haha.  That's the format of every shooter since Castle wolfenstein.

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    PiMacleod said:

Exactly. Its not a puzzle game. Its a freemium game, with non skill based competition and loot based progression. Thats why pay to win is more accepted. Even if you pay, you still need to get lucky.
    I haven't kept up with COD, and I know there is a loot system there now, but I don't think getting something good from a lootbox changes how good a player is. The best microtransactions in games are cosmetic only, because the gameplay is the main draw. Even by the app description MPQ is an rpg, where collecting and leveling up is the main draw.
    Also, top 10 placement is the top 1%. I imagine there would be a lot of mental stress, time zone manipulation etc. to get top 1% ranked in a FPS game too.
  • PiMacleod
    Phumade said:
    PiMacleod said:

Have you not played in a squad with good players?  Almost every ranked match I've ever played revolves around managing and maintaining control of zones and forcing players through choke points.  Very few good COD players actually play rambo style.  In fact how good you are at communicating on the headset is probably the only real leveler in COD.

In any case, that is't mental stress. haha.  That's the format of every shooter since Castle wolfenstein.

Well, if you equate communication and reflexes to dealing with what people are talking about on this forum right here, then we clearly define stress differently.

Personally, communication is fun for me.  If you couldn't tell already, I don't mind discussion and I'm completely fine with being wrong, as long as both sides understand the situation when its all done.  Playing in a good squad doesn't just include communication...  And my squad's pretty fair.  I wouldn't be so full of myself to say any higher.  We have played in local tournaments however.  Yes, I know how to communicate, and yes, we understand that level.  

But that's actually still real-time.  What we are talking about here is that even when you are NOT playing, you still have to think about when the next optimal time is to play?!  Once again, that's not for me.

To follow up the last comment (sorry for not quoting ya), yeah, I imagine the top 1% is pretty stressful.  I also imagine the prize winnings of a $100k or higher tournament to be worth the stress.  These are digital in-game prizes that do nothing but keep you in that top 1%, just so you can repeat the cycle next event.  The FPS/fighting/RTS tourney crowd doesnt have to do that.  They just keep practicing...  If they dont win, they are not any further behind the other person that beat them than they were before.  Still same game, same skill level... Keep practicing.  Here, if you lose, the other person got the digital prize that keeps them ahead of you that much easier.  Sure, the top 1% in this game probably don't see that much of a difference in their rosters between themselves...  But that's probably because I'm looking at the giants from Jack's perspective.  :)

In the end, while I appreciate the rebuttals made about 'mental stress', there is no way you can equate the time management stress mentioned above with the stress of in game play.  To me, that's half the fun.  The adrenaline, the teamwork, the kill, the win.  Here, I play the match-3 game.  Combos, cascades, synergy.  I'm not playing a match-3 game to get into a time management tournament.  And tbh, I've been playing puzzle games for over 30 years... I've never had a puzzle game experience where the stress of the game was "when" I played, instead of "during" play.  I'm going to keep it that way.
  • Phumade
    PiMacleod said:
    Well, if you equate communication and reflexes to dealing with what people are talking about on this forum right here, then we clearly define stress differently.

Personally, communication is fun for me.  If you couldn't tell already, I don't mind discussion and I'm completely fine with being wrong, as long as both sides understand the situation when its all done.
    I know lots of accountants, lawyers, and shift supervisors that would tell you time management and scheduling tasks are pretty simple and automatic reflexes when compared with the personal communications tasks.
    PiMacleod said:
    In the end, while I appreciate the rebuttals made about 'mental stress', there is no way you can equate the time management stress mentioned above with the stress of in game play.
    Sure you can. Every mom/wife in America know about time management and scheduling their kids activities. After having responsibility for kids, nothing that game asks is hard or difficult. Its just part of daily routine and observation.
  • PiMacleod
    edited August 2018
    Phumade said:
    PiMacleod said:

Personally, communication is fun for me.  If you couldn't tell already, I don't mind discussion and I'm completely fine with being wrong, as long as both sides understand the situation when its all done.
    I know lots of accountants, lawyers, and shift supervisors that would tell you time management and scheduling tasks are pretty simple and automatic reflexes when compared with the personal communications tasks.
    PiMacleod said:
    In the end, while I appreciate the rebuttals made about 'mental stress', there is no way you can equate the time management stress mentioned above with the stress of in game play.
    Sure you can. Every mom/wife in America know about time management and scheduling their kids activities. After having responsibility for kids, nothing that game asks is hard or difficult. Its just part of daily routine and observation.
    Careful about what you bring up, there.  I'm talking about a game.  You're talking about life responsibilities.  Lawyers, mothers, fathers, accountants, whatever... That's a job.  Its money.  Its life.  Its what's necessary to put food on the table.

If you start equating them, saying that a game has the same qualities as that, then I think theres a bigger problem.  No game should ever be so big as to take the same amount of work/focus/stress as actual meaningful life tasks.

I'm VERY glad I take no game that seriously.  After all, a game should be a retreat from the grind.  The 9 to 5.  Kids, or parents, or whatever you need to retreat from.  I, for one, like to escape into a fun game so that I'm not so stressed.  I'd rather play, because that's what a game was originally all about... Playing.  Having fun.

If this is YOU, and you enjoy time management games, then awesome.  Knock yourself out!  I'd be careful with comparing it being a parent, a businessman, whatever...  I think there's a clear difference between them, and the importance each carries.  They dont equal out. That said, sure, it should never be as hard as that either... 
    But don't you play a game to get away?  You can't tell me I'm one of the only ones left who do.  Especially in a mobile game!  I mean, what's supposed to be more casual than that!?  And here we have a mobile match 3 game that requires THAT level of dedication?!  Much like what was mentioned earlier I got too many things to do, to worry myself with what time I start playing my match 3 game of choice.

Edit:  P.S.  we have this discussion, and I'm replying from my phone at my desk at work.  Talk about responsibilities!  :smiley:
  • Phumade
    Maybe over time and experience,  I've come to realize that its all the same issues and problems.  You differentiate between real life and game responsibilities as if its necessary to bifurcate your life into personal, work, and recreation silos.

but its all a burden on your time, and you just have to appropriately prioritize the work load in front of you.

In any case, the effort to learn shield patterns, refresh schedules and inefficiences in the system is about as much effort as it takes to brew a pot of coffee in a mokka pot.  for the simple reason that none of this is new, novel or hard to manage.

• PiMacleod
    Well, I'm glad its easy for you.  I for one want to play when I want to play.  That's it.  I don't wanna be stuck to a schedule.  You say its all the same, but to place 'PvP event @ 1 A.M.' on the same calendar where my daughters swim class is, or a family get together, or a work deadline... I dunno.  Just seems like I would either be valuing the game too high, or devaluing the other events in life.  Games come last to me.  Life comes first.  If I can fit it in, great.  But I shouldn't have to schedule it.  

To think of it like this... "Hey, whatcha doing tomorrow night, say around 8 pm?", and to think I would have to contemplate cancelling my game-based event, is very weird to me.  To me, its not a second thought.  I would be right there with the real world event, leaving the game for another time.  Wouldn't even phase me.

That's where our values differ, I guess.  I would never play something (or in a style) that requires me to adhere to it.  I also wouldn't spend the time learning how to manage refresh schedules, shields, etc... Mainly because, once again, I came here to match 3.  Not to time manage. 

I found the game in beta back when I was fresh off of their earlier PQ projects, and played the heck outta them.  I still enjoy that flow... Although, I will admit, I sometimes miss the way the old ones work.  (I'd go back and play again, but I already completed everything... And they are so old, no one plays those online anymore).

But I digress.  Good for you.  You understand those intricacies and are willing to spend your time and effort on them, even if they mean just as much as 'making a pot of coffee' to you.  I'm willing to bet that very few of the player population is willing to do the same.  Only that top % that knows it and does anything with it is willing.  I still think its a bit silly that this exists in a mobile game.  Then again, I find it silly that people spend $100 in single transaction for mobile game currency, so I guess I'm showing my age or something.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    Then again, I find it silly that people spend $100 in single transaction for mobile game currency, so I guess I'm showing my age or something.
    I agree.  It's ridiculous that people spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a mobile game.  But, I understand why.  Many people have hobbies that they're willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on.  This game, for hardcore players, is their main hobby, so they don't have a problem spending some money on it.  For me (and probably most people here) this game is part fun and part work, which is what hobbies usually are.  For everyone else not trapped in a video game, this sounds crazy. 

I'm currently trapped in the game and find myself willing to spend money on it in order to accomplish my goals.  But I'm sure after I quit and look back I'll think of how crazy that was. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    PiMacleod said:

To follow up the last comment (sorry for not quoting ya), yeah, I imagine the top 1% is pretty stressful.  I also imagine the prize winnings of a $100k or higher tournament to be worth the stress.  These are digital in-game prizes that do nothing but keep you in that top 1%, just so you can repeat the cycle next event.  The FPS/fighting/RTS tourney crowd doesnt have to do that.  They just keep practicing...  If they dont win, they are not any further behind the other person that beat them than they were before.  Still same game, same skill level... Keep practicing.  Here, if you lose, the other person got the digital prize that keeps them ahead of you that much easier.  Sure, the top 1% in this game probably don't see that much of a difference in their rosters between themselves...  But that's probably because I'm looking at the giants from Jack's perspective.  :)

To be fair, tournament winners are much more elite than top 1%. Probably more like .001%.  Obviously its different when it actually is a job, instead of the in-game prizes being the reward. For many games, the ranking alone is the prize.
    The point I was making was that this is not really a puzzle game, it is a freemium loot collecting game. If Farmville was competitive, the top player would be the one who logged in and collected the rewards with the least amount of wasted time. When it comes down to it, thats what MPQ is.