Player Feedback Survey Discussion (with bonus 5th Anniversary questions!)

JHawkInc
JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
So there's another player feedback survey. 

First part is standard, how would you rate it, why, and what could be improved? I said I wanted them to fix and finish release supports (actually put tokens out there we can reasonably acquire, stop the single character perks that make it feel like they're trying to double-dip and sell us a character twice by making the character seem incomplete without the support, etc), and then that we need something new. We get regular new characters, and occasional new events, and while I enjoyed Fight For Wakanda and Sinister Six and Apocalypse, I feel like the game needs something new. Something COMPLETELY new, like Supports, but a game mode (not a new set of tools, but a new way to use the ones we have). Didn't specify what, just said that the new releases of existing things (characters/events/etc) weren't enough to keep the game from feeling stale.

THEN, we have 5th Anniversary questions you can answer at the end (if you want). They say they want to know who our favorite characters and events are to make Anniversary the best it can be.

First question, favorite 3*? Well, I'd love more Strange covers, and would love to see him as an Essential in PvE, but don't want to slog through a PvP with him chipping away until he's dealt with. Besides that, I'd kinda like some 3* Angel covers because I'm close to flipping a dupe. But then I notice Angel isn't even on the list (also missing Black Widow, Magneto, Doom, Spidey, Loki, Ragnarok, and The Hood, for some reason). Went ahead and picked Strange anyways.

Same question, favorite 4*? Same conundrum, the ones I want to use and the ones I want covers for might be slightly separate groups, and there are some I'd like to see in PVE but not PVP (and vice versa). Let's see if they're all here, for grins and giggles.... oh look, there's Angel. None missing, all in reverse chronological order (where the 3's were alphabetical). I picked Howard for grins and giggles.

Third question, favorite 5*? None missing. I went with Strange again because he's probably the only 5* I'd really like to have covered, but don't (0/5/1, praise be to Saved covers, right?).

Then favorite special versus event, Balance of Power, Best Friends Forever, Claws for Concern, Combined Arms, Danger ROom, Divine Champions, Earth's Mightiest, Naughty or Nice, Nefarious Foes, PVP Matchmaking, Snowball Fight, and Women of Power. I went with Balance of Power. No real preference, but that one makes it easier to use more of your roster than normal, and that's always a good thing.

Favorite boss? Galactus, Ultron, Apocalypse, Thanos, Sinister Six, Civil War. No love for Boss Rush, it appears. Gotta go with Civil reWards.

Favorite story event? Fight for Wakanda and Simulator missing, but all four 7-day events present! Enemy of the State, please and thank you.

Favorite support? I'm going to pick an Infinity Stone so they feel bad about putting them in a place where only the upper crust have hopes of getting to use them. Don't think it'll help much, but even making the Master tokens hard to earn, and only having the Stones available as Rank 5, would be better than the current situation.

Then, what would you be most excited to see? Alternative appearances for your characters, new 4's and 5's, single player non-competitive events, new higher priced VIP options with more stuff, alternate covers for characters, alternate themes for the game, and new supports. The first sounds odd. Like, if there were only one Wolverine, adding more via costumes would be cool. But having four characters, and then trying to add, say, Weapon X or one of the modern/civilian versions as costumes, would feel weird. I kinda feel it should be one or the other, and that ship has sailed because of the model MPQ has chosen (where different outfits are different characters entirely). New 4's/5's are inevitable and always welcome, a single player non-competitive event sounds like Gauntlet 2.0 which would be AWESOME, higher priced VIP sounds intriguing but I'm not sure they could convince me to upgrade, alternate covers are "neat" but not super exciting (I'd kinda like to have alternate covers added permanently though, so you could scroll through and look at them later, just for fun, so they don't disappear after the marketing event is over). Alternate themes sounds like color-coding the UI. Or maybe letting you pick Avengers or X-Men or Hydra or something to tweak the bars and backgrounds? I'd want to see more of what they have in mind before I get excited. I kinda like things being "samey", with minor changes (PVP seasons taking on stone-themed banners, the background going all Quantum Realm for the Ant-Man & The Wasp tie-ins, etc). And I'd be down for more supports, I think releasing another bundle with some variety (like the first 14, heroes and villains, Avengers and X-Men, etc) would be good, but it should come alongside putting Support tokens into PvE, making it possible to actually get the Advanced/Master tokens, etc. But that's "new supports, plus an overhaul/upgrade of how they're distributed in-game" which isn't what the survey says.

Non-competitive events it is!

Submit!

What's everyone else thing? Both about the survey itself, and my general ramblings?

Comments

• JohnnyStacks
    JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Single player non-competitive events please. Sounds like more DDQ. Sounds like a win. Please no to luxury VIP. I like spending $10 a month and the occasional special deal. I don’t want to feel left behind by not using the non-ethanol VIP.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    - Rated a 10
    - Praised cover save
    - Said would like more events that look at the puzzle aspect of puzzle quest and rely less on time (like Gauntlet)
    - 3* IM40 (actual favorite)
    - 4* IW Spidey (favorite newer character I’d like covers for)
    -5* DD (favorite comic character though I should have went with someone I don’t have maxed like Thanos... whoops
    - BFFs PVP (love 2 vs 2... faster matches; needs a better boost list)
    - Strange Sights
    - Spidey vs. Sinister 6
    - I think I said Talon Fighter cause I heard it’s good? I don’t use supports
    - non-competitive events. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    People have miss read the last question. Non competitive events are not for free, it what you are willing to pay for. Hence the words “what offers.....”

They didn’t make it clear enough that they were basically asking what you would pay for. I just voted supports as they are rare anyway and I wouldn’t pay for any of that other stuff.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    On the expanded questions:

3* - Dr. Strange
    4* - Rogue
    5* - Thor (Gladiator)

Combined Arms

Strange Sights

Spidey vs Sinister Six

Avengers Tower (it is the only one I have that seems to do anything!)

Non-Competitive events.

The one that caused me a bit of alarm was a higher priced VIP - If that was to replace the existing I wouldn't be happy as I think it is reasonably priced as is.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did similar to the OP. Complained on lack of new content (by that I mean new modes, not new supports or new characters; or even new Story events as they are the same as the old ones - just different opponent). And went for the non-competitive single events. The other answers did not matter much (Deadpool-Carol-Thor; random event, random support; Deadpool vs MPQ [two two day nodes make my grind easier] as a story and Civil War as boss event (for the extra rewards). 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The last question: what offer would you be most excited to see?

It sounds like something you have to pay for. The other options seem to support my suspicion. Nevertheless, I chose single non-competitive event.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    That is the only thing I would consider paying for. But i had the same interpretation - they are looking for ways to get more money. Not sure what it means in terms of the live of the game.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like with every other survey that asks me how likely (on a scale of 0-10) I would be to recommend MPQ to a friend, I answered a zero because of character dilution and the cost of roster slots being way too unreasonable to overcome. There is absolutely no possible way a brand new player can even come close to earning enough HP to keep up with the cover income and new releases. The only possible way to do it is with $$$ and that's going to cost hundreds of dollars. That's unfair to expect a person to invest into a game. With the current dilution, roster slot costs should be drastically reduced. But they can't do that because if they do they'll have a mutiny of veterans on their hands unless they refund all that HP to us as well... and that's not going to happen.

As for the rest of the survey, I found parts of it to be a bit odd. It's not like they don't know the answers to some of these questions. Usage data tells them what characters we like. As for events, they have their pulse on that as well - look at how quickly they yanked Boss Rush and Wakanda. I would have preferred they asked why we like or dislike the things we do.

But asking what we'd like to see more of was surprising and thought-provoking. I think that question more than any other can help them make MPQ better.

Sorry if this comment sounds overly negative. I believe the recent changes to saving covers were directly born from these types of surveys, so hopefully the developers continue trying to improve our favorite game like they have been doing.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    People have miss read the last question. Non competitive events are not for free, it what you are willing to pay for. Hence the words “what offers.....”

They didn’t make it clear enough that they were basically asking what you would pay for. I just voted supports as they are rare anyway and I wouldn’t pay for any of that other stuff.
    Oh geez, that sounds like the failed attempts to have paid (HP) pvp tourneys a few years ago.  Yeah, if that's the case, ummm is it too late to change my answer to supports ;)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    JHawkInc said:

Favorite support? I'm going to pick an Infinity Stone so they feel bad about putting them in a place where only the upper crust have hopes of getting to use them. Don't think it'll help much, but even making the Master tokens hard to earn, and only having the Stones available as Rank 5, would be better than the current situation.

I haven't taken the survey yet (but I intend to), is none and option?   ;)

Also I don't think picking an Infinity Stone will make them feel bad.  They want people to want to chase them and having that be the clear favorite I would assume would make them feel they made the right decision.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice to see some different/reflective questions in there - got me thinking more about why I consistently score low on recommending to a friend, and the amount of hp required to roster everyone, which took me here:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/74679/roster-slot-costs-for-newbies/p1?new=1
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Tony_Foot said:

It also says at the bottom of my choices;

'New 4-star and 5-star characters'

Upon further review, i can see how someone could assume they meant these would all be additional things for purchase. 

That said, the optimist in me wants to believe they just worded it poorly, just because i have been around long enough to see them word things poorly often enough.
  • Spudgutter
    broll said:
    JHawkInc said:

Also I don't think picking an Infinity Stone will make them feel bad.  They want people to want to chase them and having that be the clear favorite I would assume would make them feel they made the right decision.
    Yes, you can leave that question blank and still submit the survey.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Extra Survey Questions:

3* Dr. Strange

4* Vulture (Hard to choose since I also like Rogue and America Chavez)

5* Thor 

Combined Arms

Enemy Of The State

Apocalypse VS X-Men

Wong (Only one I have at 5* and put all Red Iso into. It is currently at Lv. 146)

Non-Competitive Events
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Tony_Foot said:

Upon further review, i can see how someone could assume they meant these would all be additional things for purchase. 

That said, the optimist in me wants to believe they just worded it poorly, just because i have been around long enough to see them word things poorly often enough.
    No it's exactly as I said sadly, devs were surprised on discord so many people would pay for new single player content. They then apologised for the poor wording. All that stuff is basically what would you pay for.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Dormammu said:
    Like with every other survey that asks me how likely (on a scale of 0-10) I would be to recommend MPQ to a friend, I answered a zero because of character dilution and the cost of roster slots being way too unreasonable to overcome. There is absolutely no possible way a brand new player can even come close to earning enough HP to keep up with the cover income and new releases. The only possible way to do it is with $$$ and that's going to cost hundreds of dollars. That's unfair to expect a person to invest into a game. With the current dilution, roster slot costs should be drastically reduced. But they can't do that because if they do they'll have a mutiny of veterans on their hands unless they refund all that HP to us as well... and that's not going to happen.

As for the rest of the survey, I found parts of it to be a bit odd. It's not like they don't know the answers to some of these questions. Usage data tells them what characters we like. As for events, they have their pulse on that as well - look at how quickly they yanked Boss Rush and Wakanda. I would have preferred they asked why we like or dislike the things we do.

But asking what we'd like to see more of was surprising and thought-provoking. I think that question more than any other can help them make MPQ better.

Sorry if this comment sounds overly negative. I believe the recent changes to saving covers were directly born from these types of surveys, so hopefully the developers continue trying to improve our favorite game like they have been doing.

See and I rated it the opposite in large part due to cover save. Yes, the cost of roster slots get really high. While I didn’t have near the dilution a new player does, when I came up I had to deal with a pretty decent HP wall followed by a much higher iso wall that didn’t relent until cover save and would be god knows how much higher if I didn’t decide not to transition to the 5* tier.

Newer players now only have to deal with the first wall and only until they get their farms established and can be HP positive. Eventually, you can get to a place where you can be competitive AND free to play and I’d argue cover save makes it easier than ever.

If you hoard enough you could jump right to 5* land and then backfill the other tiers. We never had that option unless we wanted TONS of waste. You can choose to bonus and put all your iso in the Guardians/Dusa trio and have a much easier time in the game rather than having to champ Sam and X-Force because “well, that’s how the covers fell”. The amount of customization and choice a new player has on where to put their resources is quite frankly amazing and changes the game so it’s more like an RPG where you choose who to level than it ever has been.  I lost too many covers to count to the HP and Iso walls. It’s inevitable. You shouldn’t be allowed to save everyone.

The whole way way they make money is by having us make tough roster choices. That’s always been the case. Making roster slots more affordable would really slash into their bottom line. Ice said on here it is 60% of their revenue and honestly their HP offers are way more fair than their iso costs. As someone who enjoys the game, I’d rather it stick around and they continue to make their money so I’m okay with that wall remaining in place. 

Because it’s much much easier for newer players than ever due to cover save it gets high marks from me. How it still remains a zero “like always” to you baffles me because they get no reinforcement for the great thing they just did for new players.

Finally, no one would revolt if they lowered HP costs just like they didn’t the last time they lowered the costs of roster slots or costs to champ. Despite a few stragglers, this community isn’t that petty and would be genuinely happy for new players and any breaks they themselves get going forward. 

• Spudgutter
    Tony_Foot said:
    Tony_Foot said:

No it's exactly as I said sadly, devs were surprised on discord so many people would pay for new single player content. They then apologised for the poor wording. All that stuff is basically what would you pay for.
    Tinykitty

It's tinykitty that they worded it so poorly, it's tinykitty that we only get that info from discord, and it's tinykitty that i have to type out tinykitty 5 times

I'm going to log back in, retake the survey, and lower my rating.  I forgot how much i hate that their presence on discord dwarfs their presence on the official forum
  • Jasonzakibe
    Jasonzakibe Posts: 89 Match Maker
    OPs answers mirror mine to a T. 

I really feel like the choices for the last question, what new features would you like, really indicate how out of touch they are.  None of those would really entice me back into spending money except the noncompetitive one. 

I don't care how I compare to others.  Give me a goal to hit and reasonable rewards and here's my money.  The fact that the devs are surprised people are voting for a game mode that essentially reflects how the video game market worked from pong until cell phones is astonishing to me.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    broll said:
    JHawkInc said:

Yes, you can leave that question blank and still submit the survey.
    Yeah that's what I did

1.  How would you rate it, why: I rated a 6.  I rated it his high because of the current trend of clearly listening to player feedback and doing things that have long been requested.  It's not higher because of the high time requirement, the high money requirement if you want to be even remotely competitive this decade, and dilution.

2.  What could be improved? Supports need to go away or be DRASTICALLY improved.  In order to get me to like or even care about them all RNG needs to leave their moves.  Give stuff like X% match damage increase, X% extra health, etc.  Not X% chance to do something.  I want guaranteed improvements or none at all, the game has too much RNG already...

3.  First question, favorite 3*? Dr. Strange (same as last year)

4.  Same question, favorite 4*? Vulture (same as last year)

5.  Third question, favorite 5*? Thanos (Same as last year)

6.  Then favorite special versus event?  Left it blank because I really don't care for any of them and several I don't even remember what their deal is.

7.  Favorite boss? Civil War hands down.  For several reasons:  1.  Extra rewards.  2.  It's the only boss event that isn't over within 24-48 hours with days of no PvE after.  3.  It's the only one that still provides a challenge to my alliance (Not in general, but getting both to 8 rounds cleared).

EDIT: Honorable mention to Apocolypse.  If I could pick a second it's the clear choice.  Most interesting and fun single boss.  3rd would be Sinister Six (though it definately loses some points because the scoring seems messed up.  My alliance usually clears it in less than 24 hours, a good 12-24 hours early than most events).  The rest are all kinda meh IMO.

8.  Favorite story event? Enemy of the State.  Where the tiny kitty did the 7 day events go?!?!

9.  Favorite support? Let it blank because I hate supports.

10.  Then, what would you be most excited to see?  I honestly wasn't impressed by ANY of these options...  Picked non-competitive events because it's the only one I even have a passing interest in...