*** Loki (Dark Reign) ***

Options

Comments

• Wondering if I could get some advice on how to build Loki - I currently have him at 5/4/4 - but have a purple cover so can take him to 4/5/4, eventually moving to 3/5/5.

From reading this thread it seems the general consensus is that 3 in purple is just as affective as 5, maybe more so - because too many swaps can ruin potential cascades. However I don't know if I will ever use his black (perhaps in pve?) - as I never use Patch (my build for him is all wrong - 5/5/3) over XForce - and some people in this thread seem to be suggesting that 5 in purple can be an improvement.
  • fickle wrote:
    Wondering if I could get some advice on how to build Loki - I currently have him at 5/4/4 - but have a purple cover so can take him to 4/5/4, eventually moving to 3/5/5.

From reading this thread it seems the general consensus is that 3 in purple is just as affective as 5, maybe more so - because too many swaps can ruin potential cascades. However I don't know if I will ever use his black (perhaps in pve?) - as I never use Patch (my build for him is all wrong - 5/5/3) over XForce - and some people in this thread seem to be suggesting that 5 in purple can be an improvement.
    Patch Loki is, undoubtably, a strong team.

But, to be honest, the reason you want 5 in black is if you're facing a Falcon or a Patch or a Black Panther or a Sentry or anyone who generates a strike or protect tile.

That makes life so much easier. You don't need Patch on your team to benefit from it.

Of course, I run him with Xforce a lot, so when that isn't a risk, I'll still use the black for SS.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fickle wrote:
    From reading this thread it seems the general consensus is that 3 in purple is just as affective as 5, maybe more so - because too many swaps can ruin potential cascades.
    You pretty much answered your own question. There's no reason to have more than 3 in purple. Even if you think you'll never need 5 in black, you might be wrong, and there's no downside to having it.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is there a Loki fan club? If there is, I want in.
  • This power fires so often, and up to 4 activated countdown tiles per activation. It really slows the pace of the game down. There are times, I put my phone down to so something else, and come back after the animation is finished. Please make the animation faster. Something like Quickshot would be great.

Thanks.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Yep, there is one. Loki is a better support than Hood, and I am, like, the biggest Hood fangirl on these forums. Not literally.
    4or/XF/Loki was my primary team during the end of the season XI in SSim and I was not attacked at all during the final moments despite never shielding and having points above 2300, I think. It even got me my first ever t10 in a season. Can't attribute it to just Loki, but he is definitely awesome on offense and not as healthpack-intensive which is crucial. I was able to keep fighting almost non-stop which is not doable with even 2 maxed Hoods.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, he's pretty good.

Hood will probably get you more defensive wins, but he is more liable on offense, where as Loki just hides and very ocassionaly matches purple.

Players won't think twice attacking into a Loki but will with Hood. However, Loki changes the way a player plays more than Hood does.

Hood--I match Green to down him with X-Force, and other colors I need, thus reducing numbers on board and what Hood steals.

Loki--I have to make sure I don't match 4's and 5's which can slow the game up giving the enemy more time to make matches
  • The Hood is still easily as good as Loki but in PvP psychology comes into play a lot. People usually don't notice how much Dormammu's Aid hurts them because it sort of just happens in the background, while Mischief and Illusion both hurts a lot and is quiet visible and can leave a traumatic experience that'll remind your opponent to not mess with you again. Of course The Hood also dies easily to X Force, though Loki almost always dies to the same as well as long as you're not using HP boosts. Ironically if you have HP boosts, then just making a green match into X Force is usually still enough to down The Hood but not Loki. If you need 2 green matches that usually gives you enough time to do enuogh match damage for the difference in their HPs.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Before Sentry's World Rupture was nerfed, the animation on the Rupture countdowns was *accelerated*. Maybe have these countdowns go as fast as the Sentry ones did when they were sped up.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think Mischief should follow a left to right or right to left pattern across (I guess up/down or dowm/up for mobil UCI) the enemy AP bar for stealing AP. It's starting to bother me that I'll have 8 tiles go off, only need one AP to get a power off, and out of 8 mishief tiles none will take the correct color. Loki is still awesome, this just gets to me because I feel like if there are more CD tiles than colors of AP I should get at least two of each color, but no. He's still my go-to for a tough fight. I think this would make him the perfect support/AP steal though.His AP steal is nice just a little unpredictable, which can be a gamble at times.
  • Definitely prefer Loki and his minor board shake. Generally the 4's I'm letting the AI take aren't my color either, so I'm wiping out 7 tiles of that color, and gaining more match possibilities as well as minor cascades when Loki's tiles resolve. Often results in quite a few extra tiles for SS to hit.
  • My biggest problem with mischief is the way the tiles pop. Why can't it be more like speed shot? If you're hopping and you get 6 tiles it takes like 15 seconds to be able to match again
  • ark123 wrote:
    My biggest problem with mischief is the way the tiles pop. Why can't it be more like speed shot? If you're hopping and you get 6 tiles it takes like 15 seconds to be able to match again

That would be awesome. So annoying when you have 6+ tiles popping one at a time. You can just hear 4Thor/Xforce killing your clone teams in the background.
  • I don't know about anybody else, but my Loki's mischief is not working. This has been happening for quite some time now. There are occasions where it works during the first 4 match, and times it doesn't work. Other times, it takes at least 3-5 4 matches for mischief to actually activate. I mean, is there something I'm missing in the description of this ability??? Because, in the description there is nothing in it that says something has to be done before his mischief activating properly. Fix this please.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kozmikpr wrote:
    I don't know about anybody else, but my Loki's mischief is not working. This has been happening for quite some time now. There are occasions where it works during the first 4 match, and times it doesn't work. Other times, it takes at least 3-5 4 matches for mischief to actually activate. I mean, is there something I'm missing in the description of this ability??? Because, in the description there is nothing in it that says something has to be done before his mischief activating properly. Fix this please.

Mischief only works on color tiles and not TU tiles.

So if your opponent match a TU match 5, it will not trigger mischief.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It can get annoying as his green countdowns go off, especially if one uses Loki often. Or using Loki and Daken, and waiting for all the rage tiles to turn lol.
  • Nylarx
    Nylarx Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    One of the main reasons I love playing with Loki is that he makes me feel less dumb - Yes, I did intentionally leave out that match 4 for the AI, even though I could have used those colours.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    He's not the strongest character.
    He's squishy as hell.
    However, he'll ruin your whole day by just sitting there, watching from the shadows.

See a great cascade? Better think twice about that. Might result in a match 4 coming from the new tiles, and Loki gets to take a bunch of that AP you just earned.

Thinking a few moves ahead? Trying to set up some tiles to get the last three AP to throw out a Thunder Strike? Loki just used Illusions and screwed up everything.

See a match 5? That's always a great move, better mat--WAIT, DON'T MESS WITH LOKI YOU STAY AWAY FROM THAT ****. But you can't leave it there either, or else HE'S gonna use it! So now you've gotta find the right match to break it up so nobody gets it.

Using a strike/protect tile generator? Better make sure he doesn't match black. ...or purple, which could line up black on its own. Hell, just kill the bucket of **** juice.

This guy could walk in with Prof X and X-Force, and he'd still be my biggest concern.

Devs really did a great job with him in the end. Went from a joke character to someone that makes you afraid and forces you to play less than optimally.

He can't kick your ****, but he can easily get someone else to do it.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Aaand nerfed
  • So is this some new strategy to ruin all the fun characters: post profuse praises for their powers versus the usual whining about how no one can beat them in PVP and it's unfair that only whales get the good stuff?