What happened to 4* PVP?

Jonny1Punch
Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
If I missed a critical announcement mentioning why we suddenly don’t have 4* pvps coming up anymore please let me know.

My personal opinion is that 4* pvps are incredibly fun & provide some great diversity along with a big step forward for the game mode of pvp. The 4* tier is my favorite in the game and many can really pack a punch when boosted against even high tier 5 stars.

3* pvp largely becomes a game of “ 2 vs 2/ pick your best 5* duo. Whereas 4* pvp can drastically change your team composition and provide a true 3 vs 3 pvp with many more fun & interesting team combos. 

3* pvps are extremely stale, boring and mostly useless as the game is firmly in 4/5* territory now & that should be reflected with newer events & better rewards etc. I really thought we were seeing a new trend of the game evolving into some long overdue new territory. Can anyone clarify or speculate why we are being thrown back into 3* land?

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    I was lamenting the same thing when I saw that we get Colossus, Bullseye and Quicksilver (the most annoying PvP ever) coming up. 

For fun they should add Quicksilver to the rotation to ironically update Lightning rounds.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    I was thinking the same thing.  The apparent transition to more 4* PVPs was a huge bright spot in the game for me recently but now it feels like we've been sent back to the gulags.  3* PVP sucks, there's no two ways about it. The only argument I can see is that they're better for more developing 3* rosters however it seems more fair (to me) to make those rosters rely on the 4* loaners than to force people who've worked long and hard to make it to the 4* tier  to bring along a piece of useless dead weight into every match.  Also, the ridiculous price of event packs makes no sense in the context of 3* PVP-- who in their right mind would pay 5000 extra for a 40 pack just to get increased chances at Colossus?  Does ANYONE actually buy those packs?  Bring on more 4* PVPs.  They should either alternate or run a 3* and a 4* concurrently and allow people to pick. 
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    According to IceX on Discord,

"One problem is that on the 4s that 2/3 players tend to tap out quick since they usually have an "uninteresting" 4 to play with. I did."

Apparently a good chunk of players don't like 4* PVP, so I guess we're back to getting two per season for the new release events. They'll likely remain being champ reward factories and little else for 5* tier players, except for a few in the higher end of the tier during climbs.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    They can also do alternating 3* & 4* PVPs. Either every other event is a 4* one or two 4* ones and two 3* ones. Something to mix it up.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Didn't we just have a 4 star PVP with 4 star Carol?
  • Jonny1Punch
    Great feedback all around here thank you very much. LOL at Zerokarmas quicksilver LR idea!

I agree with the general consensus I’ve heard so far: we really need a dual pvp system to choose from similar to slices/options etc that would be a hybrid 3* or 4* pvp system we choose which to enter... choice is good & so is variety.

I don’t think it’s fair or punish 4 & 5* players just to please 2 & 3* players who don’t enjoy 4* pvp( or vice versa). Meeting in the middle sounds like a good solution. 
  • Jonny1Punch
    grunth13 said:
    Didn't we just have a 4 star PVP with 4 star Carol?
    Yeah we did a few weeks back but if you check the August preview we are back to the standard 3* pvp with the only variation being the new 4* release pvp ( 2 a season I think ).
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Yeah I think that having that frequent of a 4* pvp rotation actually alienated a lot of the lower tier players. They're trying to get more involvement in PVP (If I remember correctly one of the devs team posted that there's less than 40% of active players that join up). Looks like having that many 4*pvps ain't the way to do it
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Honestly  4's and 3's pvp should be run side by side. You can choose one or the other or both. Depending on how they feeling about that.

2 birds one stone.

If they really want to be ambitious they could do a  5, 4, and 3 pvp with slightly smaller shards that randomize you into groups (within a slice) so you can't game the system

Or  just something like lighting rounds where there is no "slice" persay  you join, there is a time limit until its over and you play. They could even have varying shard sizes.

• Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Honestly  4's and 3's pvp should be run side by side. You can choose one or the other or both. Depending on how they feeling about that.

2 birds one stone.

If they really want to be ambitious they could do a  5, 4, and 3 pvp with slightly smaller shards that randomize you into groups (within a slice) so you can't game the system

Or  just something like lighting rounds where there is no "slice" persay  you join, there is a time limit until its over and you play. They could even have varying shard sizes.
    I feel like for QOL the game would have to limit you to one PvP at a time. I know my wife would throw my phone away if I was trying to keep up with PvE and TWO PvPs...
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Sim Mayor said:

2 birds one stone.

I feel like for QOL the game would have to limit you to one PvP at a time. I know my wife would throw my phone away if I was trying to keep up with PvE and TWO PvPs...
    Pretty sure that's what most are saying. Whichever one you pick locks you out of the other. (Few exceptions of course).

Though more than anything, the admission of people dropping out of 4 pvps cause they don't have well-covered fours to compensate only further highlights just how much a detriment the overly bloated 4 🌟 tier is anti-game progression for new players.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Asmodaeus said:
    Yeah I think that having that frequent of a 4* pvp rotation actually alienated a lot of the lower tier players. They're trying to get more involvement in PVP (If I remember correctly one of the devs team posted that there's less than 40% of active players that join up). Looks like having that many 4*pvps ain't the way to do it
    The thing is PVP isn't really viable for anyone until they're at least partly established in 4* territory and it's kind of a kick in the pants to realize that after you've spent so long busting your tinykitty and enduring the 7 levels of Marvel hell to get to 4 land you're still stuck using 3* characters.  Having a game mode like PVP that becomes open to players once they're more established in the game is a pretty good incentive to work towards becoming established in the game...
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I agree with people that suggest having the two events separate. It seems that there is also a natural way to separate them would be with the clearance levels. 

Cl 1-6 : 3-star PvP
    Cl 7-9 : 4-star PvP

It makes sense for the higher rewards to be available in the 4* events, and since the people that want 4* PvP are generally people in the 5* tier the rewards should center more around CP, while the 3* PvP focuses on 4* covers. 
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Should be a 3 & 4 PVP each week.  Your pick.  Only pick 1.  Rewards are identical to what they are now (well, how about 15 cp & 60 wins vs 75).
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeroKarma said:
    I agree with people that suggest having the two events separate. It seems that there is also a natural way to separate them would be with the clearance levels. 

It makes sense for the higher rewards to be available in the 4* events, and since the people that want 4* PvP are generally people in the 5* tier the rewards should center more around CP, while the 3* PvP focuses on 4* covers. 
    I'm not sure where the split should be, but I can see something like that as well. At some point, to get better rewards would require you to move up from 3-star PVP to 4-star PVP. Kinda like how in PvE moving to SCL7+ requires you to also complete a 5* node, you know? Not necessary for extra progression, but the node provides extra rewards and is necessary for greater placement rewards.

The only thing I'd note is that I wouldn't want to be completely locked out of 3-star PVP by ranking up. 4* PVP runs slower and eats more health packs in general, and sometimes I'd like to take a lazy route, and I wouldn't mind giving up the better rewards of a 4* PVP to do so.
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2018
    ZeroKarma said:

Better
    Cl 1-4 2* PVP  good for new players
    Cl 5-7 3* PVP fine for mid players, rewards same as currently 7-9
    Cl 8-10 4* PVP for Vets, new rewards
    That would be fine for everyone

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    There should be different tiers and reward tiers in pvp. 

The only problem with that is dilution which hasn't been a problem for years.  High mmr would be a waste land.....Unless you bleed over into the next tier after getting your personal mmr high enough each pvp.

Maybe @Brigby  can bring it up for discussion with the big dogs
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    What about having everyone together but being able to choose between two required characters. Like 3* Blade OR 4* Blade. 3* Strange OR 4* Wiccan?
  • ViralCore
    ViralCore Posts: 168 Tile Toppler
    Why can't we have hybrid pvps where you can use your 4* or 3* equivalents, based on the node, like the deadpool one?