New Stepford Cuckoos Support

bluewolf
bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
Visible in your Supports section. I assume it’s coming via the usual one time 48 hour vault, starting in about 5 hours.

Rank 5 (good luck getting that) looks nice, 2.7x crits at 250.

The Support, sadly, does not make Emma any faster.

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shame we can't get a game update to put the occasional support token into the game (in progression somewhere that they can be reliably acquired). This one actually looks decent, solid crit boost, AP steal, looks like it could be used with a variety of X-Men characters effectively, and the Emma-specific boost isn't so significant that it's one of those supports where you would only ever equip it to the specific character.

But we'll have H4H deals and a vault come and go and then it'll be impossible to acquire them at all for a month because the basic tokens you might be able to acquire in an event vault won't have this support in them anyways.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,102 Chairperson of the Boards
    The previous HfH offers have been too rich for my taste so far sadly. I'm not lacking in HP but the deal just isn't that great. Shame really.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Okay, so Stage 1 looks like it's finally getting there - creating Supports that are useful enough that they look like they'd be kinda worth having/pursuing. Now we need Stage 2: Far better pathways to getting supports (especially those of a decent level), and Stage 3: Vastly higher flow of red-iso so that it's actually possible to level-up supports if you managed to get one/some that are worth pumping it into.

Had to start somewhere.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    What's a support?

Something that very very soon in pvp is going to become essential to fast hops and having a top one will become the new must have. I was a cynic until I got a 140+ talon fighter and that’s not even as good as the newer ones.

Running okoye with that support with Thor and cheaper okoye powers will be insanely fast with extra AOE damage for firing okoye.

Ive stopped deluding myself supports are going away. They are the 6 star tier.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,102 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    broll said:
    What's a support?

Something that very very soon in pvp is going to become essential to fast hops and having a top one will become the new must have. I was a cynic until I got a 140+ talon fighter and that’s not even as good as the newer ones.

Running okoye with that support with Thor and cheaper okoye powers will be insanely fast with extra AOE damage for firing okoye.

Okoye aside, at least most of the specific Supports seem to boosting otherwise a bit lacklustre characters (another concern brought up by Forumites but another thread topic). However, if they release another OP character (doesn't even have to be Gambit level) AND an OP Support also, I can see this going torches and pitchforks again.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    broll said:
    What's a support?

eh I play PvP for wins I don't need fast hops.  Even if they put them in PvP I don't see them meaning much to me.

#NotMy6StarTier
    #AntiSupportsSquad
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until supports become easier to level and obtain, I'm fine with them dragging their feet a little on supports updates.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Well... this was only a question of 'when', I guess.

Phase 1: Introduce [new character]
    Phase 2: Introduce [new character] specific Support (which invariably is sooner in-game than announced)
    Phase 3: ....
    Phase 4: Profit!

Seriously, I have more faith in the underpants Gnomes at this point...

As for how to acquire any Supports... would it really kill the whole system to put even a single standard Support token in PVE progression? I really feel there is very little to no progress to this whole Support thing. I am no whale  but so far I have amassed a total of just over 100K Riso... and have spent very little on my supports (1 4* lvl.40, couple 3*s @ about lvl.15).
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    broll said:
    What's a support?

eh I play PvP for wins I don't need fast hops.  Even if they put them in PvP I don't see them meaning much to me.

#NotMy6StarTier
    #AntiSupportsSquad
    Yeah right, they will be in defence as well as offence. They will have meaning to you. Viewing other people’s supports wasn’t done for any other reason I’m sure.

They are only going to get more powerful and useful, yeah you can play wins but getting wins might be harder when your mmr targets narrow against people with great supports as red iso becomes more available. It’s why I won’t sell gambit. 6 purple AP out of the gates while I collect team up ap for okoye. 

Supports are awesome.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    I'll be excited for perks when there is a slight increase in the way to get them, red iso.... but mostly in use of pvp.

Also it looks like they are finally making them worth wile power perk wise.
  • bluewolf
    The usual deals are up with a 120 item vault. 4800HP for Iceman purple, 250 CP for Teen Jean blue.  Plus the associated Support items, as have been offered before.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    bluewolf said:
    The usual deals are up with a 120 item vault. 4800HP for Iceman purple, 250 CP for Teen Jean blue.  Plus the associated Support items, as have been offered before.
    And apparently, they sell, else we would have seen a change by now.
    Although I really have no idea how people are spending 250 CP on those things.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    StevO-J said:
    Well... this was only a question of 'when', I guess.

Phase 1: Introduce [new character]
    Phase 2: Introduce [new character] specific Support (which invariably is sooner in-game than announced)
    Phase 3: ....
    Phase 4: Profit!

Meme aside, clearly the current style of support releases is doing well for them or they would have changed up the resources needed to get these singleton Support releases.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

The support is cute, and thematically very appropriate for Emma Frost (look them up on Wikipedia if you don't know them from the comic,) but RIso and ability to get the supports themselves is so stingy you really don't have any slack to play with "cute."

I've done the HP buy before, not going to this time, that's for sure.

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Tony_Foot said:
    broll said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    broll said:
    What's a support?

#NotMy6StarTier
    #AntiSupportsSquad
    Yeah right, they will be in defence as well as offence. They will have meaning to you. Viewing other people’s supports wasn’t done for any other reason I’m sure.

They are only going to get more powerful and useful, yeah you can play wins but getting wins might be harder when your mmr targets narrow against people with great supports as red iso becomes more available. It’s why I won’t sell gambit. 6 purple AP out of the gates while I collect team up ap for okoye. 

Supports are awesome.
    Sure, so we move away from the rich get richer, to a scenario of the rich AND lucky get richer.  

I can understand the benefits of supports.  The problem is that there is no path to actually get them.  I point this out every time that i can, that the people who like supports are those that were lucky enough to get a good one, like we are crazy for not agreeing with you.  Put yourself in a more realistic position.

Lets look at myself.  Have not spent any riso yet.  I hit 1200+ in pvp, and top 20-50 every pve in cl9.  I have 217k riso, and it take 211k to go from level 1 to 150 on one support.

Now, i only have four supports at 3* (3 of those are for villains only), eight 2* and six at 1*.  If i dump all of the riso i have accumulated so far into Korg, my only hero based support, i have none left to go into any other one.  What if i get a better one (either one that is already released, or one released by the end of the year)?  I now am stuck at level 1 for that support for months while i acquire more riso.

In the meantime, lets look at that one and only support i could use.  At level one, it boosts the health 165.  For my pvp team of JJ/Thor, who have 54k to 63k health, that is a boost of 0.003% at best.  Second level gives me 25 extra damage to villains.  Again, at best, that is 0.015% if looking at the yellow for Thor, the weakest of his three strongest colors.  Lastly, the 3rd level gives me a 3 yellow ap, at the start of the battle, 8% of the time.  A color i don't need, rarely use, and it happens every 12 or so matches.  I get to 1200 in around 22-25 matches, so maybe 2-3 times.  Compounded by the fact that i need 21 yellow to get some damage from that power, it is basically useless all around.  

Show me an event where i can put in the work, play optimally or win as many matches as possible to get a support, and i may change my tune.  But in the meantime, i may as well wait a couple of years for my riso to stock up, and my luck to get me some decent supports before i start to act like this makes a meaningful impact on my game play.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    broll said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    broll said:
    What's a support?

#NotMy6StarTier
    #AntiSupportsSquad

Supports are awesome.
    Drink the Koolaid all you want.  I'll stick to my whiskey and bitterness.
  • bluewolf
    The thing about defensive Supports in PVP is it would push against the “player friendly, mostly winning” model that the devs obviously prefer.  We recently had AI cascades reduced because some people think the game is cheating.  Defensive Supports would, as pointed out by Waddles_Pines, make you feel like you are losing more, and more unfairly, than you currently do.

And a good number of players have ignored Supports or not learned what they do.  There are already 32 non-Infinity Stone Supports. They all do something a little different and I honestly have no idea what any of the Carol related Supports do. So if you are playing a match and a “Carol Corps” banner flashes by and suddenly the AI has 2 more black AP, it’s going to feel cheap and unfair, especially if you don’t know what all the Supports do.  (OK, I just looked up the Carol Corps.)
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    StevO-J said:

Underpants Gnomes... is that the next upcoming Support?