About the strongest PVE characters

2»

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sentry Fighters (Ultron / Ultron Prime)
    Dormammu said:
    DanielleL said:
    Maggia (and any others that only attack with countdown tiles) are the easiest.
    All you youngins is spoiled from SCL based scaling. 
    They dunno how good they have it. Max Level 94 Stormneto/ObW could beat those community scaled level 392 Maggia Thug/Thug/Don nodes every 2,5h. It just took a really long time.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone can be countered.............if you have the right people.  Medusa and Hawkguy can counter Sentries very well.  AP generation and special tile stealing. 

Mindless Ones die against 4*Star Lord and Switch by overwriting/destroying their CD tiles.  Add Strange, and they're toast pretty fast.  In fact, Switch and SL can counter any goon with CD tiles. 
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    The mindless ones (and the other countdown goons on the list) were cometely irrelevant since gambit came out.  I have a feeling my vote might change to them next time they are featured.  Thing is, they spam so many tiles that they were the only type of countdown goon that could still get a power off even with the cajun ragin...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mindless Ones
    For me it is a cross between mindless and sentry’s.  Mindless ones where they throw out massive attack tiles feel like hey do the most damage to me.  For sentries I hate the green sentries with a passion.  They also do match damage and throw out special tiles during cascades.  The special tiles are not as strong but can be annoying.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Mindless Ones
    Mindless Ones. The spamming on attack tiles can get out of hand without the right team to counter it. Others have pointed out weaknesses to those who spam counter tiles, but the right tiles from Mindless Ones, especially in wave nodes means they can clean even the toughest team.
  • DanielleL
    DanielleL Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:
    DanielleL said:
    Maggia (and any others that only attack with countdown tiles) are the easiest.
    All you youngins is spoiled from SCL based scaling. 
    I may be new to the forum and have only a 3* roster but that's because sometimes I stop playing the game and also lost my first account. But I've been playing since 2013 which was when the game came out. So I'm well aware of a lot of the old aspects of the game. :P
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    You are all crazy.  :p

Mindless Ones, Symbiotes, Sentries... they're just annoying. Their turns take too long, they chip away at you with their buzzing antics, and they fill the board with their cute little tiles that all hit about as hard as an insect bite.

There is not a more dangerous goon combination than two Maggia Muscles and a Hitman. This is fact. If you lose track/control of what they are doing, they will ruin your day.
    I used to think this, too, but I can go into any Maggia team (and probably any Hand team) with 4* Cage/Wasp/Carol -- even unboosted -- and trivialize the fight with two blue 3-matches (okay, you still have to control Don black tiles).  At this point in the PvE meta, tile buffing is what causes fights to cascade out of control (and this team harnesses that mechanic for good instead of evil).  Symbiotes spam and buff so much that they can actually inflict a good chunk of damage before you can ramp up your own defense game (and worse, counter damage you if you try to neutralize their tiles by matching).
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

I actually think the MO's are fun to play against. They are tough, but fair.

Sentrybots are the friggin' worst, though.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    So there is a huge, HUGE difference between most annoying and most dangerous. Mindless Ones are the most dangerous but I mind them less because it takes some effort to fight them. Sentries are the worst, though, super annoying AND BORING. I really hate playing against them. I rarely miss an event but when I do it's because I can't bear to deal with sentries; I'd rather clean the bathroom...

But the ridiculously slow play, which appears to be purely a matter of code, is truly awful on both (maybe worse on the Mindless Ones...?). It's a draw based on this metric.

EDITED to add: honorable mention to Konrans. They've caused me a lot of sadness and loss of dental enamel.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Now that I have Grockdusa, champed Vulture, 266 Strang3...  everything has got a little easier.  But, Sentries and Mindless have to be the worst.

Voted Sentries because of Core Meltdown and the thing that destroys tiles from the bottom up (whatever it's called).
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maggias
    Mindless Ones (and Symbiotes) are SO easy to deal with. Dr. Strange and anyone who creates Strike tiles will mop them up in short order. If you're in 3-star land just put IM40 and Patch with Strange. If you're in 4-star land use Grocket/Guardian. Strange will tear through them like a knife through wet paper.
  • Polly_P1
    Polly_P1 Posts: 99 Match Maker
    There are 2 times that this actually matters for me. The 5E node once it gets to level 515, and the sub nodes on boss events when that scaling goes sky high (Ultron). For the most part Vulture is still useful at getting rid of countdown tiles it is a race to get him airborne. The sentries have a chance at cascading and constant healing. Between the 2 if it is a hit man, muscle, & don I find that easier than the 3 sentries. But if it is say 2 muscle with either kingpin or hood at that scaling I would rather the sentry.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    Mindless Ones (and Symbiotes) are SO easy to deal with. Dr. Strange and anyone who creates Strike tiles will mop them up in short order. If you're in 3-star land just put IM40 and Patch with Strange. If you're in 4-star land use Grocket/Guardian. Strange will tear through them like a knife through wet paper.
    But he'll do that with Maggias too. Thug pistol is a little quicker, but target him first and you should be good. All countdown goons have a ton of counters like Strange, 4* Starlord, Hawkguy. Quake and 4* Cage can also make the countdowns do 1 damage when they expire. Sentries are more random and don't fire powers. They might just be more annoying because they disrupt your general pve strategies
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Mindless Ones
    I based my choice on who I felt had the strongest base level of strength, the enemies I'm least eager to go up against even if I feel I have the perfect team for them. The Sentries, while annoying, have never ACTUALLY bested me in a fight, even in the 2-3* transition. The worst case scenario with them is they get a crazy cascade off of a critical tile or 2, that just so happens to do a lot of damage. While their lack of abilities might make them immune to the likes of Strange, St4r Lord, and C4ge, Medusa and/or Kraven turns their greatest strength into a liability rather quickly. You can even throw in Mockingbird/Teen Jean for kicks if you feel they get a little too "lucky" with their match 4/5s, or Eddie Venom if you want to dish out some additional pain and board shake. 

The symbiotes can have their days - the pink ones can drop some massive damage on you at high levels since the opponent matching their special tiles count too, and the green one can buff some specials out of control if you let him, but that's the symbiotes at their worst. Their spamming of special tiles is in a much more controlled manner than the Sentries, and they aren't any less susceptible to the likes of Medusa/Kraven. Add in the fact that they are CD-droppers and you have quite a slew of teams at your disposal that can shut them down with minimal health loss. 

Lets be real - when people say "Maggia", they mean Muscle. The rest of them are your typical run-of-the-mill CD droppers that the game meta has long left behind. They were much more of an annoyance during the older days when I brought IM40 to like every battle because they would hog all the yellow tiles. Now they are little more than Strange/Thanos fodder. Muscle specifically was a pain because he often gets thrown in with other tile movers who may or may not command more attention. If those strikes come out while they've got someone moving tiles, you were usually bound to lose someone. Also, since the strikes come as a result of a cd resolving, your opponent gets them right at the beginning of the turn. They're even more annoying if it's more than one, as you might end up flipping between whichever has a threaten tile closest to resolving. 

Mindless Ones start the match with their various special tiles, and if they are placed somewhere hard to get to, boy does it suck to be you. They spam their CDs like crazy -  which makes it easy for Strange or C4ge to deal with them or the tiles, but means a lot of target switching, and usually at least one of them getting to resolve. Their AOE hits your entire team like a sack of bricks, and if the right combination of special tiles is out, you're taking a nice little hit at the end of every turn too. Prioritizing the AOE cds of course means that I might let one of the tile-strengthening ones go, which can be just as annoying. Since the purple tiles stipulate that they only create a new tile if the existing one had been destroyed, that means they never have more than 3 special tiles out at any given point - making Medusa and Kraven ineffective choices here. You have your more direct options of dealing with the tiles such as Ant-Man and Vulture, but again, these strategies take time that may result in one of their CDs going off. I especially hate it when there's a protect tile variant among them, makes it even more likely that I can't stop of them before a CD resolves. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maggias
    Straycat said:
    Dormammu said:
    But he'll do that with Maggias too. Thug pistol is a little quicker, but target him first and you should be good. All countdown goons have a ton of counters like Strange, 4* Starlord, Hawkguy. Quake and 4* Cage can also make the countdowns do 1 damage when they expire. Sentries are more random and don't fire powers. They might just be more annoying because they disrupt your general pve strategies
    You're right, though Maggia goons tend to spit out tiles a bit slower. I admit they were more of a problem in the days of roster based scaling, when we were fighting goons with 100+ levels more than our top characters and they had more health than even Strange could contend with in a timely manner.

These days, if you are in a proper SCL, no goons should represent much of a threat. There's just annoying ones and less annoying ones.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,318 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got to be the irritating green things first of all, and their inevitable cascades and then the yellow ones healing themselves continuously thereafter with all the special tiles that drop. 

But now I have discovered their mind-altering properties that caused someone above to say "I can't wait to champ Kraven". That's brutal.