Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men) (7/23/18)

Options

Comments

• himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gosh, she's so bad. I get that you're supposed to fire yellow and/or purple -> black so that she'll fortify those repeater tiles, but the paid off isn't even that good.

MPQ really need to decide what to do consistently  with "increase match damage by xxx%". Emma's power doesn't work like Ghost and that makes her even less useful. Not to mention by the time she can fire her black, she would be almost downed in that simulator match.

Diamond Skin should be where she shines, boosting both match damage and her defense, like something as strong as Spider Woman's black. This will at least force the opponent to get rid of fortified tiles before they can deal with her. 

Right now she's just disappointing. She's not good at anything she does at all.
  • peanut_gallery
    peanut_gallery Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Asmodaeus said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Will Emma be wearing a short skirt and looooooong jacket? 
    Confirmed! She will also feature fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass. I'm also confident (judging by her outfit) that she's already traded her MG for a white Chrysler LeBaron....
    Both of these comments completely made my day.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks like the loaner is a 4/4/5 build for some reason, so the extra match damage on diamond skin isn't the full 325% it could be. I am curious how P4nther's yellow repeater is so much better than hers though:

Black Panther (King of Wakanda) 
    Protector of Wakanda 7AP (yellow, 5 covers) - Creates a 2-turn yellow repeater tile that generates 3 strength 221 Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles. If another ally is still in the fight, fortify those tiles. If two other allies are still in the fight, generates tiles of strength 333 instead

Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men)
    Labor for Learning 8AP (yellow, 5 covers) - Creates a 2-turn yellow repeater tile that places 2 strength 90 strike tiles, and improves up to 3 existing friendly strike tiles by 58

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks like the loaner is a 4/4/5 build for some reason, so the extra match damage on diamond skin isn't the full 325% it could be. I am curious how P4nther's yellow repeater is so much better than hers though:

Black Panther (King of Wakanda) 
    Protector of Wakanda 7AP (yellow, 5 covers) - Creates a 2-turn yellow repeater tile that generates 3 strength 221 Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles. If another ally is still in the fight, fortify those tiles. If two other allies are still in the fight, generates tiles of strength 333 instead

Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men)
    Labor for Learning 8AP (yellow, 5 covers) - Creates a 2-turn yellow repeater tile that places 2 strength 90 strike tiles, and improves up to 3 existing friendly strike tiles by 58

Not to mention once you've got Diamond Skin going, you can't turn it off except by hunting down all your Fortified tiles and matching them. And until you do that, you can't fire her other powers even if you wanted to. On defense that's just going to be silly. Let her fire Diamond Skin, and she'll never do anything else the rest of the match.

I think she might surpass Sam as the worst 4* out there.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, definitely a missed opportunity to decrease the damage she takes while in diamond form, like Rogue.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
     Let her fire Diamond Skin, and she'll never do anything else the rest of the match.

I think she might surpass Sam as the worst 4* out there.
    It's not like anything else she might do in a match is going be particularly menacing though. And I'd use Flaptain over several other 4*s, including Jubilee and Widow lol.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow is she horrible.  At least when Flaptain came out there weren't as many other 4*s to chase.  She is the first character I can actively say I don't care if I get more than one cover and will never use her except for required nodes.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Tried out Emma Frost and she was downed first. I think she is being paired with bad teammates. It seems like she's tanking for Antman (who isn't tanking any colour at all) so that he can stay alive to steal those tiles. Both are Support/Defensive characters and both colours overlap. By the time I could use her purple power, she's already downed to less than half-life due to Carnage's attack tiles. I think Carnage should be taken out of Shield Training so that future new characters have more time to shine, unless they interact directly with those tiles. Think 3* Hawkeye, 3* Dr. Ock etc. I understand that Carnage is there to let her purple ability to shine, but she was eating tons of damage and I managed to let her purple ability destroy those special tiles once in the game before she was downed.

IW Spidey is still the (obvious) MVP.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So... it's probably a bad sign that she has trouble, on a team of 4*s, against Carnage, Beast, and 2* Torch, eh.

Not to mention that her powers basically do nothing the turn you fire them. I guess Ant-Man has this issue too, but his powers are a little cheaper, and he's not that amazing either.

And she doesn't have the health to tank, but you want her to tank to get the most out of Diamond Skin...

Yeah, seems pretty underwhelming.

I had the same experience. Wiped twice before I won and even on that 3rd time it was all Ant Man's (Purple/Blue) and Iron Spiders (Red) doing.

She has zero offensive capability but we already knew that. The problem of her being a supporting character is that she has no active passive starting on turn 1. They all take a long time to get going and most matches are already won/lost by the time she can do anything.

The fact her active powers all trigger off a timed CD / Repeater tile made me think she's basically the new War Machine.

KGB
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    KGB said:
    <snip>
    <snip>

The fact her active powers all trigger off a timed CD / Repeater tile made me think she's basically the new War Machine.

KGB
    This is a problem... Ugh. Makes her like a 2*...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah. I can see potential in the effects she has, but I was really unimpressed with her performance in the Shield Training loaner node. And that's actually a fight she should theoretically be pretty good for, but she still dropped before I had the AP to fire any of her powers.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

"Emma Frost spent her charmed youth honing her mutant gifts to become one of the world's most powerful psychics. Coupled with her creative flare for manipulation, Emma's powers carried her swiftly up the ranks of the powerful and villainous Hellfire Club.

After a devastating attack wiped out her school, Emma joined forces with the X-Men. Despite their antagonistic history, Emma's dedication to educating mutant youth has made her into an unlikely ally."

Her sentient torch can be used to hypnotize others!
    She finds innovative ways to shed light on mesmerizing situations! 
    Her novel approach blazes a path in the dark, misleading the unwary! 
    She uses her imagination to set the world on fire!

Ok, I'm done.

But I think you meant "flair". 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well I managed to fire her purple and it was quite fun to explode Carnage's special tiles but after that...yeah, she did nothing and then died. Then Iron Spider won with a bit of help from Ant Man.

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I wasn't very impressed with her in the loaner node. I can imagine that Yellow would be great with Nico or other characters that make strong strikes, but overall she just isn't very good.

Iron Spider was definitely the MVP in that fight.
  • ViralCore
    ViralCore Posts: 162 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Anon said:
    Yeah, I wasn't very impressed with her in the loaner node. I can imagine that Yellow would be great with Nico or other characters that make strong strikes, but overall she just isn't very good.

Iron Spider was definitely the MVP in that fight.
    I haven't played the event yet but ouch. If iSpi is the MVP, she has to be terrible.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I had to play the node with both Emma and Spidey as loaners and had no great difficulty. Everyone survived. I had enough AP to fire all of her powers. However, for her yellow and purple I chose to use Antman’s instead as they seemed more powerful. Unfortunately, the purple trap tile was overwritten by Carnage before it could do anything, So the next time I had enough AP I fired Emma’s purple. I did get to fire her Diamond Skin twice though. It wasn’t great, but her artwork does change so that she looks as if she is made of concrete.
    I was also wondering if there is going to be a support released shortly that is tailored to her (Stepford Cuckoos possibly?). Maybe she has been designed so that she can’t reach her full potential unless she has the support equipped.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

"Emma Frost spent her charmed youth honing her mutant gifts to become one of the world's most powerful psychics. Coupled with her creative flare for manipulation, Emma's powers carried her swiftly up the ranks of the powerful and villainous Hellfire Club.

After a devastating attack wiped out her school, Emma joined forces with the X-Men. Despite their antagonistic history, Emma's dedication to educating mutant youth has made her into an unlikely ally."

Her sentient torch can be used to hypnotize others!
    She finds innovative ways to shed light on mesmerizing situations! 
    Her novel approach blazes a path in the dark, misleading the unwary! 
    She uses her imagination to set the world on fire!

Ok, I'm done.

But I think you meant "flair". 
    Would you say the light from the flare was Dazzling?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EF's black ability doesn't work if there isn't any friendly special tile even though it said "fortifies up to 1 special tile and turns this power into Diamond Skin". There must be at least 1 friendly special tile before this power can be activated. Is this a bug or is this the way it is suppose to work?
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    EF's black ability doesn't work if there isn't any friendly special tile even though it said "fortifies up to 1 special tile and turns this power into Diamond Skin". There must be at least 1 friendly special tile before this power can be activated. Is this a bug or is this the way it is suppose to work?
    Read the 2nd part of the power. It specifically says “If there are no Fortified Special Tiles on the field, this power reverts to Girls Best Friemd”