Where is the sweet spot?

captainheath
captainheath Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
I've only got 15 four stars left to champ and I'm wondering if I'm nearing the sweet spot.  I'm thinking of continuing to finish championing the 4's and then raising a dozen or so well-covered 5's to about 345-360.  That is about the level that my 4's are raised to when buffed weekly.  With the addition of the 5's at the same level, that should keep me more competitive than currently.  Obviously, this should work with PVE, but would it work with PVP also?  Or will this plan not work at all?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    How do you mean sweet spot? What is it you're aiming for?

The information I got with 5*s was to save up the ISO to champ two at once and make them good ones. Everything else after that won't change your MMR, so it's best to start off strong. So chamoing Banner and Doc Ock first would be a terrible idea, but Okoye, Thor, Gambit (maybe) or JJ first would be good.

If you champ just one 5*, you'll be against others with one 5* and a boosted 4*. Maybe a few nearly-champed double 5* teams.

Of course, for PvE it's all academic, as you say. You choose your level of participation in porject mayhem.
  • captainheath
    I mean sweet spot as in most fun.  I really don't see me jumping into the 5 star land for a while.  5Cap is my most covered with 11, although I have a number of others in the 9-10 area.  If I level the group of them to 360, I could conceivably interchange them with the boosted 4's to give me many options all week long.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd honestly not worry about 5*s at all if you can't champ some heavy hitters. Just use your ISO to work on your remaining 4*s.

If fun's what you're after, IMO that's the way to go.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Captain, I would agree with the assessment that if you can't champion one of the top tier 5* first, I wouldn't worry about putting ISO into any of them.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't put ISO in 5s unless you can Champ them.

(Unless you already have a ton of champed 5s and are post-ISO, because what else are you going to do with that useless purple stuff. Might as well softcap)
  • captainheath
    I understand the push to champing 5's, but realistically don't see me getting there for years.  I'm on day 1587 and am on pace to complete the 4's I have before the end of 2018.  I'm not a hoarder and don't see myself going that route.  Without hoarding, I don't think it is possible to completely cover multiple 5's, much less on a regular basis.  

So at this point I'm looking at what would be the most fun.  Since the original design for 5's was to let them be useful less than fully-covered, shouldn't leveling them up to the same level as boosted 4's allow them to be just as useful as most 4's when boosted?  Obviously some are better boosted than others, but it would be nice to have the weekly 5 fours boosted plus a dozen fives all at the 360ish level to choose from when making teams.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, softcap.  There’s no downside. And you might finish 5’s faster than you think if you are pulling only Latests.  You don’t mention which 5Cap is at 11 covers, but both are bad choices for a first champ 5.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Soft capping 5*s to 360 is a good strategy, especially if you won't be championing for a long time.  This will give you better utilization when they are boosted in PvE and not hurt your PvP scaling as they'll still be under / on par with your 4*s.  That being said I would prioritize your 4* champing over this, especially if there is potential cover waste involved (though the saved covers feature should nerf that likelihood unless most/all are already at 13).

If you don't hoard don't, pull latest, you're unlikely to finish them before you leave and you'll never get to 5* land (assuming that's your goal).  Open Classic and enjoy the extra pulls.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have never hoarded. JJ is 457. I’m one cover away from a finished Cap. Okoye has 7 covers but still plenty of time. My Thor is 458.  I have 8 champed 5’s.  Haven’t pulled Classics other than some one offs for fun in about a year.

0.68% vs 5%.  Classics vs Latest. Your choice.
  • captainheath
    I do plan on finishing off the 4's when I pull them.  There are 15 left.  I have 5 fully covered and just waiting one more pull.  The rest are almost all nearly fully covered, except for Howard.  I have gotten to the point though that I usually don't have 4's on the vine anymore.

Once I get to the point with all 4's championed and a bunch of 5's at 360, I think I'll start pulling just latest tokens if they are a good 3.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    I have never hoarded. JJ is 457. I’m one cover away from a finished Cap. Okoye has 7 covers but still plenty of time. My Thor is 458.  I have 8 champed 5’s.  Haven’t pulled Classics other than some one offs for fun in about a year.

0.68% vs 5%.  Classics vs Latest. Your choice.
    This probably works if you play everything to max progression and spend on top of it. For the overwhelming majority, though, it will result in a lot of 5*s sitting at 7-8 covers when they go into Classic purgatory.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is 360 the generally accepted softcap number for 5*?  I'm getting close to being post iso, but don't want to be a 5* pvp player.  

Also, sorry to sidetrack this, but on a similar note, at what level would your 4* be high enough that the game would make you a 5* pvp player?  
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is 360 the generally accepted softcap number for 5*?  I'm getting close to being post iso, but don't want to be a 5* pvp player.  

Also, sorry to sidetrack this, but on a similar note, at what level would your 4* be high enough that the game would make you a 5* pvp player?  
    360 is the number I soft capped to when I soft capped some earlier in my 4* progression.  This is based off of the level low level 4*s got boosted too.  Yours may be higher or lower based on where your 4*s are but 360 does get thrown around a lot.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Thanks @broll

I've tried searching for the 2nd part of my question, but you know how search is on this site  :|
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since we've had Growth Industry run three times in rapid succession, it's worth noting that events with roster-based scaling will use whatever your 5* soft-cap is when no boosted 4*'s enter the equation.  It may be a year or more before we see one of those again, so it's hardly something to base your decision on, but it's worth noting since no one mentioned that, yet, in this thread.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    4-stars are max-champed at 370. PvP boosting adds, what... 99 levels? 100 levels? I forget. So once you have a few 4-stars champed into the 350s and they're all boosted for an event you'd probably start seeing champed 5-stars in some your nodes. You'll also see other players with 4-stars that high, too. But at that point, your boosted fours are going to be competitive either way.
  • Waddles_Pines
    @ZootSax

Oh geez, yeah i remember all the GI threads where 5* players were throwing their phones due to scaling.  Knowing my luck, i'll start getting my 5* softcapped, wasting all that iso and then they announce 6*  :D
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    @ZootSax

Oh geez, yeah i remember all the GI threads where 5* players were throwing their phones due to scaling.  Knowing my luck, i'll start getting my 5* softcapped, wasting all that iso and then they announce 6*  :D
    I like 360 as a soft cap because when that 5* is boosted, they go to 450, so won't automatically tank everything (this is for 5* players).  If you are running boosted 4s, you may want to go a little lower than 360.  Someone else would probably know more about that.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    ZootSax said:
    Since we've had Growth Industry run three times in rapid succession, it's worth noting that events with roster-based scaling will use whatever your 5* soft-cap is when no boosted 4*'s enter the equation.  It may be a year or more before we see one of those again, so it's hardly something to base your decision on, but it's worth noting since no one mentioned that, yet, in this thread.
    I've been keeping my 5*s lower in level than my highest champed 4*s.  In part for scaling, in part because my 4*s are a huge ISO sink at this point.  I have about 5 4*s with 13 covers and no ISO to champ them.  I found Growth Industry hard, but I completed it each time, so I guess scaling is working?
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    You can level them to 360 and I don't think it will change your pvp experience. You'd probably still be better off using the boosted 4*s. My 360 3/5/5 Archangel does 7k damage for 10 green. Not really game changing. A 360 Thor, probably doesn't do a ton of damage, but that half health self acceleration is still awesome. Good covers matter more than level.

But I think it is fun when 5*s start to be better than unboosted 4*s. If you have spare iso, I say go for it. Its pretty disappointing when your 3* copy is better than their 5* version.