Celebrating 50 Years of Captain Marvel! (7/19/18)

2»

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    One other thing this release reminds me of is the lack of narrative with supports.  I haven't been reading the recent Captain Marvel books, so when I look at the cat support I wonder why it has a tentacle coming out of its mouth.  If it was a character, I'd be able to read a description of who tentacle cat is and why they are important.

I also don't know how the powers relate to the character of the support.  How exactly is tentacle cat stunning enemies every ~ 4 turns?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    jamesh said:
    One other thing this release reminds me of is the lack of narrative with supports.  I haven't been reading the recent Captain Marvel books, so when I look at the cat support I wonder why it has a tentacle coming out of its mouth.  If it was a character, I'd be able to read a description of who tentacle cat is and why they are important.

I also don't know how the powers relate to the character of the support.  How exactly is tentacle cat stunning enemies every ~ 4 turns?
    Flerken (the tentacle cat species) have access to a number of pocket dimensions in their mouths, that they use to store all kinds of things. The stun could be from something stored there, or from Chewie grabbing the target and pulling them into one of the pocket dimensions, or maybe just freaking them out like so:

• jamesh
    Sure, I can go and look all that stuff up online.  The question is: why isn't it in the game.

Would you find the game's regular characters as interesting if their power names were removed and the descriptions changed to a dry rundown of the effects?  It might not make a difference for the most well known characters, but it certainly helps for relative unknowns.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saw in one of the MPQ topic in reddit yesterday about a player maxing out at least 6 of his/her supports. There are whales out there who love supports. I wonder how much money they have spent.

You can get guaranteed Master Token for 250cp though.  Support is still in its early stage so all these calls for easier way of getting Master Tokens or more guaranteed way of getting Master Tokens are likely to be on the back burner. Let's start small with an easier way to get Beginner Token, rather than bypassing both Beginner and Advanced Tokens and then jumping to Master Tokens.

I seriously wonder how they're doing that.  RIso is not flowing very well.  The RIso you get from events is a very, very slow trickle.  The RIso you get from duplicate supports is actually pretty good, but tokens are hard to come by.  Like, seriously hard to come by.  I've participated in about 3/4 of the HP promotions and none of the CP promotions, and so far I've gotten a total of 344544 RIso - enough to level one support to 189.  Even if someone is participating in the CP promotions... maybe they're getting three times that?  That's enough to max out one - one support.  I just don't see it.

These supports seem ok, but I'm still trying to figure out how they distribute them - right now they've folded the "second wave" of supports (the ones for Infinity War) into the normal tokens, but none of the others.  Are they going to keep the others separate indefinitely?  Are they going to start releasing specialized packs?  If someone starting the game now really, really, really wants the Hulkling, how are they going to get it?

• Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Love the new covers of 2 and 3 * Cap marvel. Could we keep them for good? :D
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    GrimSkald said:
    I saw in one of the MPQ topic in reddit yesterday about a player maxing out at least 6 of his/her supports. There are whales out there who love supports. I wonder how much money they have spent.

You can get guaranteed Master Token for 250cp though.  Support is still in its early stage so all these calls for easier way of getting Master Tokens or more guaranteed way of getting Master Tokens are likely to be on the back burner. Let's start small with an easier way to get Beginner Token, rather than bypassing both Beginner and Advanced Tokens and then jumping to Master Tokens.

I seriously wonder how they're doing that.  RIso is not flowing very well.  The RIso you get from events is a very, very slow trickle.  The RIso you get from duplicate supports is actually pretty good, but tokens are hard to come by.  Like, seriously hard to come by.  I've participated in about 3/4 of the HP promotions and none of the CP promotions, and so far I've gotten a total of 344544 RIso - enough to level one support to 189.  Even if someone is participating in the CP promotions... maybe they're getting three times that?  That's enough to max out one - one support.  I just don't see it.

These supports seem ok, but I'm still trying to figure out how they distribute them - right now they've folded the "second wave" of supports (the ones for Infinity War) into the normal tokens, but none of the others.  Are they going to keep the others separate indefinitely?  Are they going to start releasing specialized packs?  If someone starting the game now really, really, really wants the Hulkling, how are they going to get it?

In the PvP that just ended I went to 900 for the first time this season to get the Ghost cover. I didn't bother to shield afterward (20 hours before finish) since I don't care about placement. After the hits came in I went through and took a look at who hit me.

I was hit at least 6 times by dual 550's as I assume I broke MMR after going over 800 points. Talk about clubbing seals LOL (I was using 2 boosted 4* at 370). Since I had never been hit by 550's before I decided to take a peek at what I assume are Whale rosters (all of them had between 3-8 550's with lots of other 500+ characters). I noticed the support icon's and peeked at those too. On at least 2 rosters I saw MULTIPLE supports maxed at 250 with a couple more in the 180+ range. The other rosters had multiples in the 100-200 range. So Whales are getting RISO someplace (presumably duplicate supports) and they are valuing supports.

KGB
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Idk if they necessarily value supports,  but I do know that they have literally MILLIONS of hp which can be used to buy and reset support vaults
  • jamesh
    KGB said:
    I was hit at least 6 times by dual 550's as I assume I broke MMR after going over 800 points. Talk about clubbing seals LOL (I was using 2 boosted 4* at 370). Since I had never been hit by 550's before I decided to take a peek at what I assume are Whale rosters (all of them had between 3-8 550's with lots of other 500+ characters). I noticed the support icon's and peeked at those too. On at least 2 rosters I saw MULTIPLE supports maxed at 250 with a couple more in the 180+ range. The other rosters had multiples in the 100-200 range. So Whales are getting RISO someplace (presumably duplicate supports) and they are valuing supports.
    If you saw a roster with multiple rank 5 supports, then they couldn't have been relying on the one-off offers.  For example, the 250 CP offer for this next support release would only give a 4% chance of a rank 5, and can only be taken up once.  Instead, they must be buying out these support vaults multiple times.

As well as the red iso in the vault itself, that would also net them many beginner and advanced support tokens, netting even more red iso from dupes.  It wouldn't surprise me if this was enough to level those supports once you actually got the rank 5 versions.

It sounds like an enormous amount of money though, so it isn't surprising that people are sceptical of such accounts.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Can we have a 100X RISO event so we can catch up and level all of these supports? 
    one. i may level up one support with that.
    IF i don't forget. it's a support. 
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    jamesh said:.

It sounds like an enormous amount of money though, so it isn't surprising that people are sceptical of such accounts.
    Reading the post before yours about the "whale" accounts with all the 550's and multiple maxes supports, it struck me to wonder which is more likely:  that someone spent the money to do that, or that someone has figured out a way to hack the game?  Such a roster sounds awfully suspicious to me, like seeing a high score list with a top score of 10 billion when scores 2-10 are all below 1 million.  Such a score doesn't sound feasible through legal means, and neither do those rosters and supports.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    grenadier said:

Reading the post before yours about the "whale" accounts with all the 550's and multiple maxes supports, it struck me to wonder which is more likely:  that someone spent the money to do that, or that someone has figured out a way to hack the game?  Such a roster sounds awfully suspicious to me, like seeing a high score list with a top score of 10 billion when scores 2-10 are all below 1 million.  Such a score doesn't sound feasible through legal means, and neither do those rosters and supports.
    There are legit rosters like this.  Yes, it’s a lot of money.  And if someone who is not legit shows up at their level, they question it immediately and get CS looking into it.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    grenadier said:

If you're in a continuous buy club alliance, you're buying a Stark very frequently, and that's 20K HP that you're spending somewhere. Buying out these support vaults would be a fairly easy way to get a lot of Red ISO, especially once you've got a decent amount of supports to the 4* level.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe her red was a long-play to prepare the world for Shuri/P4nther domination lol.

Thanks for the free token to the 50yrs vault, got 5k iso!
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Players may hate Supports in general but 'The Carol Core' should really be renamed 'The GrockaMorDusa Core'

As a heavy user of that team in 4* land it would be a godsend to get it even at Perk level 3. A good chance to improving one of Grockets strikes by a massive +640 along with a 1/4 chance to fortify one of the existing strikes every turn is insanely useful. Perk 5 means you simply eat enemy Cardusa/GrockaMorDusa teams alive.

The powers on these are creeping up at an almost exponential rate.

KGB
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
     it's a 35% chance of getting one strike tiles increased by 640 when that support character makes a match and when it's been max leveled (250). At Perk Rank 3(150/250), I think it would be ~20% chance of activating the ability. However, if they are strengthening the tiles by 640 for every match that the suppory character makes, I think there's a cause for concern.

• jamesh
    KGB said:
    Players may hate Supports in general but 'The Carol Core' should really be renamed 'The GrockaMorDusa Core'
    Check the "Equip to:" restriction.  As none of Gamora, Medusa, or R&G are Captain Marvel, you wouldn't be able to play the support on that team of three.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    jamesh said:
    KGB said:
    Check the "Equip to:" restriction.  As none of Gamora, Medusa, or R&G are Captain Marvel, you wouldn't be able to play the support on that team of three.
    It actually works well on my favorite counter to that team, R&G/4* Carol/XF Deadpool.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bought a Carol's ****nal token, got an advanced pack, and from that got a rank 3 Carol's Communicator.  I think I've beaten the odds somewhat, this time at least.