What happened with boss event scaling?

2»

Comments

• halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Seemed fine to me. Two mid tier five star champs. I mostly used IM46 and America Chavez for the wave nodes, and didn't have many problems. We finished both sides with 2 or 3 clears to go. 
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    That Ares wave node made me close the app, turn off the machine and walk out to smell the roses. I mean a boosted champed JJ is not enough? And to have a laughable Torch as essential. Blah. And the boss nodes are so silly, he buckles after three or four matches.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Just saw this thread.  This was totally normal scaling for boss events.  This actually used to be what every 5* player dealt with every single pve when it was roster based instead of SCL based.  I love boss events *because* theres a challenge there.  
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just saw this thread.  This was totally normal scaling for boss events.  This actually used to be what every 5* player dealt with every single pve when it was roster based instead of SCL based.  I love boss events *because* theres a challenge there.  
    I don't mind there being a challenge. It just feels odd to have the challenge be on the side nodes, while even the Round 8 Bosses are easy by comparison. The whole point of a Boss Fight is that it's supposed to be the hard part.
  • WelcomeDeath
    I don't mind there being a challenge. It just feels odd to have the challenge be on the side nodes, while even the Round 8 Bosses are easy by comparison. The whole point of a Boss Fight is that it's supposed to be the hard part.
    Right, but this is "normal" pve scaling for a 5* roster under the personal scaling system.  People are just used to cupcake scaling under the SCL system.  And really if you're running 5*, the boss is EASY.  It's kind of perfect, actually.  The boss is still beatable enough for 3* and 4* guys to participate (but more challenging than for a 5* guy) , and the side nodes for them are easier.  For 5s the boss is cake and the sides are challenging.  It's a way that the event has some easy nodes and some challenging nodes for everyone.  
  • TPF Alexis
    Right, but this is "normal" pve scaling for a 5* roster under the personal scaling system.  People are just used to cupcake scaling under the SCL system.  And really if you're running 5*, the boss is EASY.  It's kind of perfect, actually.  The boss is still beatable enough for 3* and 4* guys to participate (but more challenging than for a 5* guy) , and the side nodes for them are easier.  For 5s the boss is cake and the sides are challenging.  It's a way that the event has some easy nodes and some challenging nodes for everyone.  
    Yeah, I get that. I've been playing since before SCL-based scaling came in. I'm speaking more generally: When I play a video game, it feels disappointing when the boss fight is easier than the fights I had to go through to get there. There might be valid game balance and other mechanical reasons to do it that way, but narratively, it's unsatisfying.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    My issue is less that it's hard and more that it boring as all hell.
  • WelcomeDeath
    Yeah, I get that. I've been playing since before SCL-based scaling came in. I'm speaking more generally: When I play a video game, it feels disappointing when the boss fight is easier than the fights I had to go through to get there. There might be valid game balance and other mechanical reasons to do it that way, but narratively, it's unsatisfying.
    That's true....for you and me and other 5* guys, I suppose.  But for the vast majority of players it's the exact opposite, so there's that.  I'm just glad they're able to still make it somewhat of a challenge for later days.
  • TPF Alexis
    That's true....for you and me and other 5* guys, I suppose.  But for the vast majority of players it's the exact opposite, so there's that.  I'm just glad they're able to still make it somewhat of a challenge for later days.
    I'm still solidly in 4* land. There have been enough really good 4* over the past year or so that they can blow through the Bosses as well. And I'm pretty sure I remember one relatively recently where even 3* players were talking about finding the Boss fights ridiculously easy.
  • WelcomeDeath
    I'm still solidly in 4* land. There have been enough really good 4* over the past year or so that they can blow through the Bosses as well. And I'm pretty sure I remember one relatively recently where even 3* players were talking about finding the Boss fights ridiculously easy.
    I suppose so.  I mean, you can beat Ultron with 2* if you really want to, just takes time.  But if they dial it up too high, everyone complains.  Remember the first run of Ultron? Galactus 1.0? Boss Rush? Nobody liked those events, cause the bosses were too hard.  While I'm thinking of it, just be glad these side modes weren't like Galactus 3.0.  Those satellites scaled to level 616!