Suggestion: Prestige characters.

2»

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    Mujo5 said:
    This suggestion seems very familiar. I'm sure I read about it somewhere before, I just can't find the link anymore. 

When they implement this suggestion they need to figure out how to retroactively deal with previously farmed 3*.
    And how would they manage the sell back for people half way through a rostered dupe. All of a sudden you have a 3 star Loki for example at 266 you can prestige but you have another at 230. I imagine that would be a pain to deal with and cause annoyance from those that dupe rostered.
    They should let us do a one time break down of dupes like they just did with 5*. I have 22 dupe 3* between 1 and 13 covers, with no iso in them. I start building a dupe once the main gets to 256. It’d be nice to break them and apply them as champ levels. 

If they ever implement this and have us reset levels to get rewards again, then I’m likely going to continue building dupes anyway. I’ll have one maxed and one to cycle through for the rewards. So I guess that plan is the same with or without prestige. The only thing that would have me deviate is if they let us cycle through rewards while keeping the character at 266. Then I’d have to figure out what to do with the dupes. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    I went thru a few different stages. My first max champ I sold as soon as I could reroster them. As I got "post iso" I held on to the max and champed a dupe. Then I started having an hp problem trying to open roster slots, so I sold again.
    I like the prestige idea, but I don't think the current system is bad. I like the option of selling the max for a quick iso or hp boost. I think the resource cost is ok. With dilution and saved covers, I have too much iso.
    If they ever were to add something like this, I would still make dups of most characters (2*s might be the only exception).  I would recycle the dup and keep a constant max level on the original.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    I think you need to do a little bit of both in the current model.  Keep the essential 266s (Strang3, IM40, Thanos for example) and start a dupe.  Some immediately sell.

I think a prestige mode is a great idea btw.

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    Straycat said:
    I went thru a few different stages. My first max champ I sold as soon as I could reroster them. As I got "post iso" I held on to the max and champed a dupe. Then I started having an hp problem trying to open roster slots, so I sold again.
    I like the prestige idea, but I don't think the current system is bad. I like the option of selling the max for a quick iso or hp boost. I think the resource cost is ok. With dilution and saved covers, I have too much iso.
    If they ever were to add something like this, I would still make dups of most characters (2*s might be the only exception).  I would recycle the dup and keep a constant max level on the original.
    Ok, so you're no having the same resource issues that this feature would help with. I just figured prestiging has no downside that it would always be chosen. You'd give up 13 covers worth of rewards building the dupe instead of prestiging.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    broll said:
    Straycat said:
    Ok, so you're no having the same resource issues that this feature would help with. I just figured prestiging has no downside that it would always be chosen. You'd give up 13 covers worth of rewards building the dupe instead of prestiging.
    Yeah, for 3*s and 4*s eventually.  Only because of the PvP requirement.  If 3*s weren't required for PvP I wouldn't bother, though now that I'm win based I probably don't care as much as before now that I think about it.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since this would effectively give me about 40 free roster slots, I'm not holding my breath.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Prestige is actually the big new thing that I thought was happening this last season, so I'm quite curious how this idea popped into your head. 

In either case, I'm 9 characters away from having champed every 3* character in the game twice - minus Angel, Elektra, and Gambit. I've kept the 266 on all but about 8 of them, due to being in an iso crunch as I finished of the 4-star tier. 266 Characters are great for PVP, big difference between chewing through a 40K health bar and a 24K one. I also appreciate them so much more seeing the vast difference in power between a max champ, and a baby champ at like Lv. 171. I'm not selling any more of my 266 guys until their dupes are in the 250s

Regarding the topic at hand, I'd want the level to stay the same and rewards reset, but I'd want them to be better. If I've put the time into getting a character to max champ status, then I think the "Prestige" awards should offer a premium on resources like covers, HP, Iso, and CP. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Prestige is actually the big new thing that I thought was happening this last season, so I'm quite curious how this idea popped into your head.
    Is it? Jeez, this topic feels super sketchy now...

It was just when I applied a red Wolverine Patch cover to my dupe, nudging him to 0/2/1 that I figured this feels so wasteful. Just spinning my wheels when I'd rather be pouring some iso into the 5*s I have. I have a few 3* dupes that are one or two covers away from completion and then I need to find the ISO to pour into them when I'd rather be having my newer 4*s catching up. That's more fun to me. 3* dupes feel like a chore, but a necessary one to avoid wastage.

If this is, in fact, on the way in some form then it's  a happy little coincidence. I've never liked looking at data mined stuff. I'd rather be surprised by announcements than feel like I'm in on the ground floor, divotting out nuggets of information so I can wave it around and shout "FIRST!!!"
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Jarvis_Jackrabbit Posts: 78 Match Maker
    "There is ISO-8 available to buy in Marvel Puzzle Quest. We are currently offering an additional 3,690 ISO for FREE with the purchase of the Hidden Stash package. This will solve your problem. Also play more, that will help, too. Play and buy, play and buy, just like your friends are doing."

-Nameless game publishers-
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    This appeared before in a thread based on data-mined information that was deleted and the author banned.
    Hopefully mentioning this isn't grounds for a ban.
    Well...yeah, hopefully. Because I've never once indulged in any data mined information and I'm making something up from my head. Not an original thought, of course, but it's something I'd like to happen rather than having to pour a ton of ISO into dupe 3*s.

I was being selfish and hoping that I wouldn't be banned for mentioning the previous thread.  It never occurred to me that you might be banned for suggesting an improvement to the game.

The previous thread was not long before supports were introduced, when we thought that the next big thing was going to be, well, big.  And a thing.  And exciting.  So it seemed plausible, doubly so when the thread and author were gone.  Think Legendary skills in Skyrim.  Then stop thinking about it, because we've got supports.

• akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    I have just started selling my first round of max champed 3 stars. It definitely is not a great feeling. With the addition of banking technology I think there could do a better solution.

What if there was a way to "upgrade" characters. If when you got a character to max champion level you could pay some cost (either iso and/or X number of banked covers) to add a star to them. They would become a freshly championed character of one star higher. Each additional champion level would involve banking X number of the lower tier character. So instead of selling my max level 2 star Storm (Classic) I upgrade her to 3 star Storm (Classic) and every champion level for 3 star Storm (Classic) takes 3-5 2 star covers and every level for 4 star Storm (Classic) takes 10-20 2 star covers. The higher star versions would just have their match damage and base numbers tweaked to the higher star standards. Maybe in rare situations they gain some additional stuff like current 2 Star Cap vs 3 Star Cap.

They would need to add more iso to the economy since farms would dry up but it would mean not having to give up on your favorite characters as you transition upward. I miss 2* Storm, 2* Widow, Juggs, and 3* Iron Man. Imagine how things would shift in the 4 star meta with 4* Iron Man (Model 40) or 4* Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon). I do not think there are a lot of people at max 4*s but eventually it would mean things like 5* Chavez and 5* Marvel.

If they are scared of making the "true" higher rarity characters undesirable by comparison they could make the upgraded characters slightly weaker than TRUE X *s in match damage or hp (think Phoenix match damage and/or Strange HP in 5 star land) but I think the time and resources needed to make a 5* from a lower tier would make that unnecessary.

Either way I agree something should be done because farming does not really FEEL good as a collector and is not super intuitive to new players. Telling my newer alliance mates and friends to sell off their old favorites and don't "collect them all" feels wrong. Before banking upgrading was not possible since you did not want 1 easy to get cover to equal 1 3*, 4*, or 5* champ level. Now with banking you can make players save and really grind to upgrade their favorites. Adding a less luck based (but admittedly REALLY long) path to upper tiers also sounds nice.

Plus imagine seeing the first 5* Juggernaut.

I also feel like this addition could coincide with a change that lets you use multiple of the same named character on your team. Team Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Spider-Man (Original), Spider-Man (Infinity War). Lamp shade it away by claiming 2 of them are Skrulls. But that is more of a separate conversation. 

(Also sorry if someone else has already had and posted this exact idea.)
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds oddly familiar... hmmm.

Yes, I would like to reset a DUPE 3star to no Champ levels to earn a multiplier on CP and HP. An ISO multiplier would be useless to me (and many in my situation where you're flipping 3s for the 3rd or 4th time, and building 4star dupes).

It would impact their HP sales though. Probably why such an idea would be left to rot and spoil like a bad apple.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    Sounds oddly familiar... hmmm.

Yes, I would like to reset a DUPE 3star to no Champ levels to earn a multiplier on CP and HP. An ISO multiplier would be useless to me (and many in my situation where you're flipping 3s for the 3rd or 4th time, and building 4star dupes).

It would impact their HP sales though. Probably why such an idea would be left to rot and spoil like a bad apple.
    That's the trick. Generally speaking, games with Prestige features have some sort of modifier applied once you Prestige that provides a benefit worth resetting everything. The benefit has to be high enough to be worth Prestiging, but not so high that it breaks the game economy.

Maybe they could make it a "Prestige Rank" progression, kinda like Shield Rank? You gain "Prestige Points" when you prestige a character (so you can earn rewards from cycling 2's, but you can earn larger rewards from cycling 3's or even 4's and 5's), and then just make Prestige Rank rewards all CP (small bonuses early on, but more substantial amounts as you progress through them, because you're right, by the time you're flipping 3's and worrying about 4 dupes you need CP more than anything else).

Then you don't need to worry about factoring in a multiplier. Or about which characters are being cycled (so it doesn't matter if you're flipping some 3*s faster than others because of 2*s that give them as champ rewards).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh hey, how about prestiged characters start earning you support tokens and red iso!?

Maybe that would liven up supports AND give us a reason not to dupe characters so much! 8D
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    **Please do not post about datamined or spoiler information as it may or may not be accurate to what is coming to the game. Thanks!**
This discussion has been closed.