New Alliance Feature: Public Purchases (7/3/18)

Comments

• Mujo5
    Mujo5 Posts: 59 Match Maker
    If this is not opt-in for each member then it is contravening gdpr and mpq is leaving themselves liable to the release of personal information
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Lystrata said:
    If someone wants to let their alliance know they made a purchase, they can. There's a chat for that. If not... that information is a person's choice not to share.
    Totally agree. I would think most commanders not running a buy club would opt to keep this setting on private. They wouldn't want to chase away the generous anonymous benefactors they happen to be lucky enough to have within their ranks. I know that still doesn't feel very good to not be in complete control, but I would think your commander would be sympathetic to your views. If not I know plenty that would be :wink:

Haha, I am the (well, one of the) commanders in my alliance. And we most definitely won't be setting this as public. Have already told my alliance as much, to which everyone was very thankful.

I agree most commanders probably won't use it, in which case ... again .. it's pointless at best. But why should anyone live in uncertainty about their basic rights to privacy? (Question more aimed at mpq than you, prof.  ;) )

If it was an opt-in on a player basis, then fine. Go crazy. But taking the option away from each individual is bizarre. And, for me at least, fundamentally unacceptable / unsupportable. 
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Ooh D3 are really prepping for digital day huh? This will make modding the buy clubs much easier - good QoL change I like it.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mujo5 said:
    If this is not opt-in for each member then it is contravening gdpr and mpq is leaving themselves liable to the release of personal information
    If the game clearly states that the information will be released before you take the action, then it is probably compliant.  From the sound of it, it won't retroactively attribute previous alliance messages.

One concern is  that if the announcements that a commander has changed the privacy state is communicated through an alliance message, will it be reliably delivered?  I sometimes find that if I force kill the app and restart it I will see a few days of missed messages.

It would probably be even better to make this clear in the purchase UI rather than hiding it in the alliance pages though.
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2018
    I won’t be turning this feature on in my alliance for the reasons listed above. The buyer can disclose in the chat if desired. No reason to turn this on at all.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Instead of jumping on the devs, maybe we can start by asking if this is a feature requested frequently by players. If it is, then I don't see the need to get angry or pissed off over the devs. They arr merely listening to players' feedbacks.

If it's not, then continue...
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Let's not kid ourselves D3 made this feature to benefit Buy Clubs. The Devs gotta keep them whales happy. D3 can sugar coat it all they want with reasons like easier CS ticket proof or easier congratulations for spending members. It all comes down to this being yet another unnecessary feature that no one asked for. The Devs just keep spending all the programming time on everything, but what the players have asked for or the game needs to become better.

If someone wanted to claim ownership for a purchase that gave their Alliance CP, then it should be their choice and could do it in the chat. This reason makes the new feature obsolete. I'm one of the Commander's in my Alliance and only 2/20 members voted yes for this, so were going to keep Purchases private. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems like there's a trust issue between the vets and the devs around here in the forum. It seems that devs' reasons for making decisions on various issues are sometimes seen in a negative light such as sugar-coating, making excuses etc. I'm curious, under what circumstances should the vets' words be trusted over the devs' words, or under what circumstances can the reasons for making certain decisions by the devs be trusted?
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Another "amazing sold" feature nobody has ever asked for...
    BTW in my alliance we'll keep the option private.
    Each player that wants to share to have made a purchase, is free to do it via "in-game" chat, as ever.
    No needs a function that could create angst between those who spend a lot vs those who spend less.
    What about new stories event instead?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    "No one asked for this" has got to be one of the forum's laziest arguments. People say it every time there's an update they don't personally approve of, and it's literally impossible to verify.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't make purchases anymore, but back when I did this would have shamed me into stopping. The anonymity of my impulse spending kept it going, and any awareness of what I was spending by others would have been enough to curtail it. I'm aware that this feature is for buy clubs, but I think they're shooting themselves in the foot by not letting players opt-in individually.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think making this feature not alliance based but each individual person can choose if they show their  purchases or not would be much better. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    In a perfect world I think people that want to show should be able to as a personal option. I also think if a commander wants to have it be manditory that should assist be an option (mainly for buy clubs). However a hybrid approach like that would undoubtedly be harder to code. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    I would think that if you are running a buy club, you’d simply set one condition for joining to be “make your purchases public” in the case where we have individual control.  (And not alliance control.)