Please Speed up Mindless Ones

professorplum9
professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
I tried bringing this up a several months ago:

@ZeroKarma brought it up again:

@Brigby What do we need to do to have this looked at? I know there are much bigger fish to fry, but I see this as such a low hanging QoL improvement I can't help but bring it up again.

I may be oversimplifying, but I imagine the fix would be something along the lines of:

Before:
spawn_mindless_one_special_tile();
Thread.sleep(1000);

After:
spawn_mindless_one_special_time();
if (animations_enabled_flag == true)
   Thread.sleep(1000);

Yeah, one line of code may do the trick. If it's a lot more work than that just tell me and I'll drop it. If it is a relatively simple/quick fix please seriously consider it. This would at least address the 1 second delay per Mindless One at the start of a match. Anything that could speed up the attack/strike tile resolution at the end of a turn would also be greatly appreciated (although I fear that may be more involved).

"Most experienced players know to expect the delay at the beginning of matches against Mindless Ones, but newbies in particular sometimes come away thinking their devices have contracted a virus that is adversely affecting system performance when playing this event" :wink:

Comments

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well it's been what like 2 months and they still haven't fixed the oversized Black Widow (Infinity War) text for Lights out so I wouldn't hold out too much hope.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Daiches said:
    It's the worst designed sub for this very reason. And lazy. Every node is pretty much the same. And clear times are heavily dependent on RNG and being able to match/overwrite the right special tile at the right time.
    That´s it. This event is pretty boring since you´re only fighting Symbionts/Mindless One (well, and Nova in 3rd Sub). Even Venom Bomb has more variation!
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Well it's not like you don't have a few boosted characters who can get rid of special tiles. Dagger's yellow, Widow's purple, etc.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash said:
    Well it's not like you don't have a few boosted characters who can get rid of special tiles. Dagger's yellow, Widow's purple, etc.
    Can you overwrite them on the first turn?  Nope.  So the slowness of this ridiculous animation still stands.  It's not that the special tiles are there, it's the absurd amount of time it takes for them to be created and then act on each turn.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Yes fighting the mindless is very frustrating 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Daiches said:
    It's the worst designed sub for this very reason. And lazy. Every node is pretty much the same. And clear times are heavily dependent on RNG and being able to match/overwrite the right special tile at the right time.

I'll take it a step further--if you end up with an attack tile in the bottom right corner you might as well mail in the sub. The 3 extra seconds every single turn for that attack animation to make it up to the top is atrocious. I typically go out and mow the lawn and come back in to see the attack animation wrapping up.
    I accidentally took the loaner team to the main sub mode unlock for sub 2. I couldn't match the protect tile away fast. It got buffed a bunch of times. I matched it. It spawned a new one. Repeat 8 times. Always the protect tile. It took me a whopping 6 minutes. And when the match was almost over I realized it wasn't the loaner node, so I could have retreated and played any team. Blame it on being dead tired. But by then Inwas invested in beating those **** and I really realllllllly didn't want to live through a starting tile proc by them one more time than strictly necessary.
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Daiches said:
    That´s it. This event is pretty boring since you´re only fighting Symbionts/Mindless One (well, and Nova in 3rd Sub). Even Venom Bomb has more variation!
    Give them ideas or they’ll probably put in some dark avengers. 
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    It adds a ton of animations, but I found Wasp/Carol/4* Cage faster to run in this event than a fully-boosted team.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Guess i'll pile on. Speeding up all special tiles like cd activations, attack tiles and especially those annoying banners in wave nodes that tell you your opponent has fallen, especially when you kill more than one opponent at a time.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    IceIX said:
    I'll make sure this is brought up as part of our normal design discussions.
    Thanks!!! Just knowing it will be discussed is encouraging.

IceIX said:
    I'll be honest, I saw the thread title and thought it was about speeding up Mindless One's Relentless Force (the CD that raises power of special tiles) and thought that someone may have momentarily taken leave of their senses.
    LOL. Definitely not that!

Whether or not I may have momentarily (or permanently) taken leave of my senses is up for debate.

Thanks again for looking into improvements on the way Mindless Ones play!
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    The opening tile creation is excruciating in this sub. But, on a related note, I don't see why Attack tiles, in general, need such a lengthy animation attached to them. Seems like there should be a faster way to represent that damage.

The combination of the fact that the attack tile animation delay varies based on where the tile is on the board AND the fact that PVE is so speed-based, makes attack tiles seem like another layer of RNG when it comes to who wins PVE.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    The second sub in Honor Among Thieves is just painfully slow and dull.

11 nodes x 3 mindless ones per node x 6 clears = 198 Mindless ones  :tired_face:
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    This most certainly CAN be done -- just observe how fast it is to play Dr. Doom (and only Dr. DoomStorm and America Chavez, apparently...) the next chance you have. Everything he does happens FAST, it's uncanny and pretty awesome. For whatever reason(s), his pause interval in the code is very low compared to those of other toons.

EDITED as you see above...
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX said:
     thought that someone may have momentarily taken leave of their senses.
    thank you for a new line i will be using at work.
  • ProtoformX
    ProtoformX Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Ice, it's not just these goons.  For some reason regular player-made matches take longer for most characters than speedsters like Storm, Dr. Doom, and America Chavez.  All player characters should be making match animations as fast as the 3 characters I listed above.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Vulture is my go to for this event...having him boosted along with C&D would have made it a lot easier.