1 One Thousand, 2 One Thousand...

professorplum9
professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
I'm willing to bet despite this somewhat cryptic post title that a large number of the player base (particularly those playing this current PVE) know exactly what it will be about.

Yes, I'm talking about that interminable delay that the player is forced to endure at the beginning of every match against a team that has one or more Mindless Ones as they place their various special tiles on the board. With many of the nodes featuring three of those in this Honor Among Thieves event the player has to sit what seems like a three second delay at the beginning of every match. I'm not exaggerating when I say that on the easy nodes waiting for those special tiles to populate takes longer than the match itself. It adds up:

3 seconds per node x 7 clears x 10 nodes + 3 seconds x 4 clears on the Team-Up Node = 222 seconds (almost 4 minutes) for this second sub. Admittedly, I didn't time it with a stop watch, but I swear at the beginning of every match I was counting it in my head.

I understand that from an artistic perspective it definitely adds a feeling of massiveness and deliberateness that seems well suited to the Mindless Ones. I guess it could add some suspense and build up as well. However, this gets lost in the repetition and I feel much like the animations becomes something that is endured rather than enjoyed.

I respectfully request that the developers consider lumping this delay in with the animations and have it be toggled with that same control setting. This is a minor quality of life improvement that I think should be fairly easy to implement and would significantly improve the player experience when events that feature Mindless Ones are run.

I respectfully request that the mods allow this blatant suggestion a moment or two in the sun before moving it to it's more appropriate section of the forum.

Comments

• qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    And the attack tiles take forever to resolve. I agree that playing against MO:s makes my skin crawl.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    Amen.  Thanks for taking the time to write up what I have been thinking.  What a waste of time.  Just jump right to the tiles already changed on the board.  No need to sit through them each and every match.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    The lack of responsiveness has been an issue for years. The game used to be really snappy. Like, making a match as Storm snappy. Like, making matches against Kaecilius snappy.

One of the updates slowed things down a bit and it's gotten slower and slower since.

It really irritates me playing on the Steam version that it's my go and I'm hammering on the tab for the ability I want to use and it'll take about 2 seconds before it'll actually switch to that character and let me use a move.

After the enemy's turn it'll usually be 2-3 seconds into my turn before it'll actually let me do anything. Hell, even changing the target can take several seconds to work.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    We need an optional "Turbo Mode" that has everything running faster, like the mini-Boss Kaecilius in Strange Sights PVE.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    I thought it was going to be about calming yourself after getting really angry about the supports rollout.

but I agree, these animations are just a waste of everyone’s time.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    And then you are at the mercy of where those attack tiles are placed: if it's in the upper left corner, it resolves fairly quickly. Bottom right corner? You're screwed. And over the course of a match, that also really adds up.

But in the wake of the supports fiasco, this is truly a first-world MPQ problem. Everyone has to deal with it. Doesn't make it right, but makes the playing field level.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    And then you are at the mercy of where those attack tiles are placed: if it's in the upper left corner, it resolves fairly quickly. Bottom right corner? You're screwed. And over the course of a match, that also really adds up.

Tell me about it.  On the loaner required node a protect tile was in the lower left hand corner.  The stupid purple power of the Mindless Ones kept going off.  I just couldn't get rid of it.  But the end of the match I think the tile was over 4k.  Mind you I was using my own characters that are champed, but none of them could get to that stupid tile.  By the end of the match I was down to like 25% health.  I should have just swallowed my pride and exited the match/restarted, it took forever.... 
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Start a timer when the Victory banner drops and stop it when tiles drop in the next match - something like 15-20 seconds typically for me.  The match itself is over in like 5s.  We spend WAY more time in loading screens that actual matches in PvE these days.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Let us choose to play a 4x the health node instead of play the node 4 times.  So much loading time would disappear.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ha! I just noticed that I do phantom swipes at the start of each round whenever there are MOs, particularly three of them.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    C4ge, Dr Strange, and Hulk Main Event was my go-to team in this event.  Get Cage to make the second match of the round, wait for the two Mindless one powers to fire off, and two of those special tiles go away. Strange heals up the damage from the attack tiles, and Cage's shields prevent a lot of damage.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Remember when 2* Hawkeyes speed shot was truly rapid fire?
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Personally, I have all the animations turned off.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tee said:
    Personally, I have all the animations turned off.
    This doesn't help with the Mindless Ones.  Even turned off, which I have also, every tile goes one at a time to show what the MO have done to that tile.  As mentioned, it seems small but really adds up in a game where speed matters if you are trying to place.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, and have you noticed ever since supports started, every time you start a new round the game freezes for a few seconds before the tiles drop?  Also having MeH boosted with Mindless Ones/Symbiotes makes the time between your moves take too long.  
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    C4ge, Dr Strange, and Hulk Main Event was my go-to team in this event.  Get Cage to make the second match of the round, wait for the two Mindless one powers to fire off, and two of those special tiles go away. Strange heals up the damage from the attack tiles, and Cage's shields prevent a lot of damage.
    It probably depends on the level of your Cage and your SCL, but enough countdowns get spammed that by turn three or four, Cage alone drops all incoming damage to 1, even the countdowns themselves. For giggles, I ran with Ant-Man and Carol, and once the ants had done their work, I usually had about 12-15K worth of protect tiles.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    It probably depends on the level of your Cage and your SCL, but enough countdowns get spammed that by turn three or four, Cage alone drops all incoming damage to 1, even the countdowns themselves. For giggles, I ran with Ant-Man and Carol, and once the ants had done their work, I usually had about 12-15K worth of protect tiles.
    Sounds like you just needed Wasp after that.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Gahhhhh, sick and tired of MO:s Are we doomed to always use Grockamora?