Legacy booster crafting

Options
2»

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Make each legacy set craftable independently at a higher cost or all together at the actual cost
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

You're point about subtypes is good, though, since a lot of them are set-specific.  But there are a bunch of useable cards of required subtypes at uncommon, and you only really need 1 for a deck anyway.  So it isn't too hard to get.
    To that point, let's assume I'm a newer player again and I'm trying to get even one eldrazi to do as you suggest. With over 300 uncommons in legacy, trying to get 1 of 12 werewolves means you only have a 4% chance of getting a usable card. However if that same player could target SOI, it's now 7 werewolves of 58 cards tripling your odds of getting a card you're after.

A similar problem exists with other objectives, as I'm sure you're aware, when it comes to things like "energize x gems" even in some of the PvE events that without the Kaladesh cards, or the Kaladesh planeswalkers, you can't meet. I think giving players access to the tools they need to meet the expectations of an event shouldn't be a hurdle to jump through, but something you can access without too much difficulty. Especially if you consider the newer you are, the fewer duplicates you're likely to pull, and the fewer duplicates, the fewer orbs, which means even fewer chances to try for the cards you need.
    Yeah, but the legacy sets still show up in the vault rotation.  Buying a single pack (or a super pack) isn't too difficult, and should contain at least 1 event-ready common or uncommon.  And all you need is 1 or 2, so its just a 1 time pull.

I will admit, I haven't had to worry about not having subtypes for an event since the original Terrors (and even then I had just enough of each card to make it work), so my ideas may be a bit elitist.  But I really don't think its super hard to get a decent uncommon for an event, especially now that the 3 card free pack is back.  Sure it may take a little bit, but that's fair.  It took a bit to get the cards when they came out too.
    The free packs have only standard-legal cards. It's been that way for a while now. So pulling the uncommons or commons you need for legacy events won't come from those packs. That means you either have to spend crystals on legacy packs, which isn't a good investment for most players, or you have to craft the card using orbs, also not a good way to spend orbs for newer players.
    Really?  They are?  Sorry about that, I didn't notice (its all dupes for me anyway lol).
    My bad.

And my point is you really only need to get 1 or 2 legacy packs from each block (Zendikar and Innistrad) to be able to get the secondaries in the events.  I don't recommend buying a ton of legacy packs, but 1 or 2 is definitely manageable.  Especially since, as @FindingHeart8 said, you get packs from the required sets in the event itself as a reward.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

You're point about subtypes is good, though, since a lot of them are set-specific.  But there are a bunch of useable cards of required subtypes at uncommon, and you only really need 1 for a deck anyway.  So it isn't too hard to get.
    To that point, let's assume I'm a newer player again and I'm trying to get even one eldrazi to do as you suggest. With over 300 uncommons in legacy, trying to get 1 of 12 werewolves means you only have a 4% chance of getting a usable card. However if that same player could target SOI, it's now 7 werewolves of 58 cards tripling your odds of getting a card you're after.

A similar problem exists with other objectives, as I'm sure you're aware, when it comes to things like "energize x gems" even in some of the PvE events that without the Kaladesh cards, or the Kaladesh planeswalkers, you can't meet. I think giving players access to the tools they need to meet the expectations of an event shouldn't be a hurdle to jump through, but something you can access without too much difficulty. Especially if you consider the newer you are, the fewer duplicates you're likely to pull, and the fewer duplicates, the fewer orbs, which means even fewer chances to try for the cards you need.
    Yeah, but the legacy sets still show up in the vault rotation.  Buying a single pack (or a super pack) isn't too difficult, and should contain at least 1 event-ready common or uncommon.  And all you need is 1 or 2, so its just a 1 time pull.

I will admit, I haven't had to worry about not having subtypes for an event since the original Terrors (and even then I had just enough of each card to make it work), so my ideas may be a bit elitist.  But I really don't think its super hard to get a decent uncommon for an event, especially now that the 3 card free pack is back.  Sure it may take a little bit, but that's fair.  It took a bit to get the cards when they came out too.
    The free packs have only standard-legal cards. It's been that way for a while now. So pulling the uncommons or commons you need for legacy events won't come from those packs. That means you either have to spend crystals on legacy packs, which isn't a good investment for most players, or you have to craft the card using orbs, also not a good way to spend orbs for newer players.
    Really?  They are?  Sorry about that, I didn't notice (its all dupes for me anyway lol).
    My bad.

And my point is you really only need to get 1 or 2 legacy packs from each block (Zendikar and Innistrad) to be able to get the secondaries in the events.  I don't recommend buying a ton of legacy packs, but 1 or 2 is definitely manageable.  Especially since, as @FindingHeart8 said, you get packs from the required sets in the event itself as a reward.

You can bootstrap yourself by winning a little bit _without_ the requirements, getting some of the packs along the way and then being able to meet the requirements _next_ time. (Or even later in the event sometimes!)
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Make each legacy set craftable independently
    It still HAS to be frustrating for newer players to try and win enough to earn enough to be able to build a deck that can meet the objectives. Kinda reminds me of how I feel when I've misplaced my glasses and can't find them because I can't see them when I'm looking for them... ;)
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Make each legacy set craftable independently at a higher cost or all together at the actual cost
    TomB said:
    It still HAS to be frustrating for newer players to try and win enough to earn enough to be able to build a deck that can meet the objectives. Kinda reminds me of how I feel when I've misplaced my glasses and can't find them because I can't see them when I'm looking for them... ;)
    I guess, but is it any more frustrating than not being able to complete the Saga objective until you win enough DOM packs?  I think of it the same way.  You shouldn't be able to immediately get a perfect score as a new player.  You probably shouldn't immediately be able to get full progression in every event.  Winning your way into a good enough collection to contend is what makes it so satisfying when you finally get there.
  • Mark_Tedin
    Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Do not forget how painful it is to get 3000 orbs. I deserve to spend it the way I prefer.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Leave it as is
    Do not forget how painful it is to get 3000 orbs. I deserve to spend it the way I prefer.
    up until half a year ago, you didn't get anything and you were stuck with what you packed + a handful of useless runes.

now with events that rewards packs at almost every milestone, it's easier to get orbs than ever.

I'm packing a new legacy mythic every week or two.  It's not that painful.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Leave it as is
    Mburn7 said:
    TomB said:
    I guess, but is it any more frustrating than not being able to complete the Saga objective until you win enough DOM packs?  I think of it the same way.  You shouldn't be able to immediately get a perfect score as a new player.  You probably shouldn't immediately be able to get full progression in every event.  Winning your way into a good enough collection to contend is what makes it so satisfying when you finally get there.
    I was just about to say the same thing.  What event (Dominaria excluded) have any of us entered for the first time and been able to meet all the objectives without purchasing packs prior?

• DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Technically I've done that with a few events (just not what you actually meant). That's only because I didn't buy many packs at all until recently, as I was going for Planeswalkers first. Free boosters in particular were quite helpful, why don't they give legacy cards anymore anyways?
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Dominaria events were mostly things we _did_ have. Warriors and Knights and Wizards we already had heaps of. Sagas... True, but things like Mastermind's Acquisition or Etali meant you could use the bosses if you were clever enough! (Not my idea, I Mastermind Acquired the idea of Mastermind Acquisition)
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Make each specific card craftable at an incredibly high cost (eg 3 times the crafting cost of a random card in the set)
    As much as I would loathe it, I'd rather have the option to craft a specific card for inflated price than having to randomly craft cards until my orb runs out.

For example, to give you an idea, there's currently only one card, ONE SINGLE CARD in the entire legacy set that I want (Skysovereign), and now I have to roll for 1 in a, I dunno, 100? chance to get it for an already pricey orb cost. The hell...
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For me the prices are fair, so are the orbs per dupe,
    Except for the rares :
    When my collection of dupes was transferred the first time, I got between 33-38 k orbs for every rarity except for rares, there I had a third less,indicating a lesser relative value. Nothing really bad, I just like balance.

Targeting specific sets.. I don't see any damage done by this. I'd like that feature. Everybody should have a shot at the big 4!
  • Chocostove
    Chocostove Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just make each set craftable so I can continue hunting the cards I want. The arguments for keeping the huge random gatekeeping method make some sense but not enough to justify this "Grab from the Ye ole pile" and see what you get.

Maybe some of us are still perfecting our legacy event decks? Maybe some of us don't actually build decks to grief each other but just build decks to win? If people don't like metadecks and encountering the same build, that's a Dev issue not a player issue. We're not the ones making/Restructuring the cards. Perhaps the Devs should put a little more time into the cards so that we don't have 30-40 useless/highly conditional cards that go straight into the IDGAF mental pile.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    arNero said:
    As much as I would loathe it, I'd rather have the option to craft a specific card for inflated price than having to randomly craft cards until my orb runs out.

For example, to give you an idea, there's currently only one card, ONE SINGLE CARD in the entire legacy set that I want (Skysovereign), and now I have to roll for 1 in a, I dunno, 100? chance to get it for an already pricey orb cost. The hell...
    I just had an awful flashback of the 8 useless mythics I had to craft to get Hour of Promise and the 12 useless rares I crafted to get River’s Rebuke. After those experiences, I completely lost my will to craft anything in Standard and exclusively craft Legacy. 

I basically don’t see any value at all in crafting anymore. I make do with what I have, so I don’t need anything and can’t get the things I want. It’s all pointless and has become a mechanism for just making my collection bigger — not for getting useful cards.