POLL: Burn out... real or over imagined?

Options
So I was going though old threads, just reading up on what happened here before I started getting more active in the community and came across a post (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6555&view=viewpoll) that I thought deserved revisting.

This is an almost carbon copy of a Poll/Thread that davecazz (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2083) posted last month.

Considering the craziness that happened this weekend, which included seasoned players walking away from the game, people talking about burn out, and whatnot, I think that revisting this issue would be a good idea. I think it gives the Devs something more tangible to look at because it can be based on votes, along with comments.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I think the results of this poll will be heavily biased, as the forum population contains many of the most hard-core players. So I don't think the numbers will be useful for anything other than a number of people who say that they are burned out (half of whom will be grinding, and grumbling, just as hard in season 2,) which will in no way reflect the feeling of the general population.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    I think the results of this poll will be heavily biased, as the forum population contains many of the most hard-core players. So I don't think the numbers will be useful for anything other than a number of people who say that they are burned out (half of whom will be grinding, and grumbling, just as hard in season 2,) which will in no way reflect the feeling of the general population.

says the one person who voted that they actually liked the changes... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    says the one person who voted that they actually liked the changes... icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually, I'm pretty sure that vote was up there long before Zen posted. Lol. My guess is that he/she is the "other" vote, since I asked people who chose "other" to comment.
  • noobprime
    noobprime Posts: 403
    Options
    biased or not, burn out is real.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I wish they would do away with "required" character nodes, or at least give out a **** loaner character.

That way you could skip new characters if you didn't want them, and take a break.

You'd still want characters for Restricted Roster events (Heroics), but if you were missing one or two it wouldn't be as big a deal.

However, money (which the developers of course need, no judgement).
  • Unknown
    Options
    I find that people tend to get cranky towards the end of long events.
  • Unknown
    Options

I voted for Keyser Soze.
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Burn out won't ruin the game because, for a long time, there will be the top 5% that support the game with thousands of dollars per month. And when you lose one of those people, another person will rise to replace them. The thing that would ruin this game is if the product quality dropped. Every game has a certain life span, and this game will be a victim to that normal situation and not burn out.

I don't proclaim to be an expert, but did work in the video game industry for a couple of years.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Been burnt out for about 3 weeks since I have every cover I want (4* been done for a while) and this game is essentially groundhog day right now

It's the same thing over and over and over and over...

Now that I'm done with classes (dean's list again yeee) and I can get into console gaming once again, it's getting very difficult to want to play this limited game on a limited platform

Game seriously needs equipment or something new

BUT HEY

MAAAATCHIN' TILES
  • Unknown
    Options
    I find myself wanting to play if I have nothing to do and have not played all day so I know I still like it, but it is also a second job most of the time. I actually sighed when I realized I hadn't done my Loki pvp yesterday night and had to do it before I went to sleep as the mono 141 MMR it is not viable to get a good score in the last several hours. Games are long tedious and punishing.

I was looking for a match 3 game for years and this is it, all they literally need to do is revert the pvp changes in the last week and I will be fine. No tanking is fine, just keep the brackets fully random and relax the mmr so its not 141's from the go. Lower ranked teams that increased in difficulty as you increased in points is the only fair way to do this and pre kyipgate was the pvp golden age imo. If they keep the new changes...I don't know...
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    I find myself wanting to play if I have nothing to do and have not played all day so I know I still like it, but it is also a second job most of the time. I actually sighed when I realized I hadn't done my Loki pvp yesterday night and had to do it before I went to sleep as the mono 141 MMR it is not viable to get a good score in the last several hours. Games are long tedious and punishing.

I was looking for a match 3 game for years and this is it, all they literally need to do is revert the pvp changes in the last week and I will be fine. No tanking is fine, just keep the brackets fully random and relax the mmr so its not 141's from the go. Lower ranked teams that increased in difficulty as you increased in points is the only fair way to do this and pre kyipgate was the pvp golden age imo. If they keep the new changes...I don't know...
    Yeah, honestly, if they had MMR like pre-kyip, there's not really any need to tank.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    Lower ranked teams that increased in difficulty as you increased in points is the only fair way to do this and pre kyipgate was the pvp golden age imo.

I've seen the reference to kyipgate a lot, and I still don't know what it is. Anyone care to enlighten me? Pretty please?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    Lower ranked teams that increased in difficulty as you increased in points is the only fair way to do this and pre kyipgate was the pvp golden age imo.

I've seen the reference to kyipgate a lot, and I still don't know what it is. Anyone care to enlighten me? Pretty please?

The jist is there was a guy named kyip in the last falcon tourney who shielded north of 1k in points. But due to some fluke he was able to be found in queues and hit for points, constantly. And he had an attractive team of free falcon, OBW, max Lazy thor. And as time went in he got some defensive wins and he kept inflating in score injecting points into the pool as it happened. I think people started to retreat to him on purpose to raise his points to farm him longer, he reached upwards to 1800. I think someone from Shield (the ladder maybe) broke 2k points due to farming him. This happened with 16 hours left in the tourney and he was no longer visible about 8 hours from the end. So scores shot up and the next pvp was delayed for about 6 hours or more while D3 fine tuned stuff, and now we have the pvp you see today. The MMR not the sharding. Both suck, but they are not related.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    Chimaera wrote:

The jist is there was a guy named kyip in the last falcon tourney who shielded north of 1k in points. But due to some fluke he was able to be found in queues and hit for points, constantly. And he had an attractive team of free falcon, OBW, max Lazy thor. And as time went in he got some defensive wins and he kept inflating in score injecting points into the pool as it happened. I think people started to retreat to him on purpose to raise his points to farm him longer, he reached upwards to 1800. I think someone from Shield (the ladder maybe) broke 2k points due to farming him. This happened with 16 hours left in the tourney and he was no longer visible about 8 hours from the end. So scores shot up and the next pvp was delayed for about 6 hours or more while D3 fine tuned stuff, and now we have the pvp you see today. The MMR not the sharding. Both suck, but they are not related.

Thanks! icon_mrgreen.gif

Too bad they fixed that. But I guess a bug IN FAVOR of the players is unacceptable. icon_lol.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    kyip's lazyThor wasn't even maxed at the time of kyipgate, his was lvl 102.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm leaving my alliance after season 1 ends and leaving the game if I continue not getting a single 3* cover from PvPs anymore. I could get in top 50 with 600 score back in the day. Now even 800 is not enough. I won't spend money on boosts to quicken my grind or spend even more time on this game. I have more than enough maxed 2* characters. Many 3* characters below level 40. A few above it. Highest one is 71 currently, maxed at 79. Relying on random drops is too slow.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I voted other.

Player burnout is real and a major concern, however it is largely self inflicted. If most of the players from the top say 20 alliances continued to play exactly the same way as they alway did I think there is a very real chance they would still be in the rankings they are now, aftedall quality will alwaus show. However since they feel obliged to do their utmost very best in case they let their alliance down they are placing uneeded strain on themselves.

Now all the recent changes to PvP bracketing and sharding really isnt helping, placing better players together is only a good idea if the rewards are going to be upped. You wouldnt really expect Chelsea to slog it out all season against the european elite for the same prize of winning the League Cup would you? Reward should be proportional to effort and vice versa.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would be surprised if burnout were greater in the top 20 alliances than the alliances in the 80-150 range. These alliances are the ones that have to scrape and claw to get that Fury cover at top 100, or basically any alliance cover in the PvP tournaments. Maybe the average they need is only 6-700, and for most of us who've been here for more than a couple months, that's pretty easy without even using any shields, but for them it seems to be legitimately difficult to maintain that level over and over for every single tournament. That's a lot more people being affected than just the top 20 alliances, which as has been mentioned in other places, are mostly placing the pressure on themselves to maintain some insane level of 1300+ scores every tournament.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @aaron....great poll. Hard choice between option 4 and 5 for me. Helping the alliance I'm in is more important than my own success, and that alone will keep me pushing in the game. However, I'm also dangerously close to stopping for a few days to just try to reset myself. I doubt that I could walk away easily, but it still has to be a consideration at times.
  • Unknown
    Options
    daveomite wrote:
    @aaron....great poll. Hard choice between option 4 and 5 for me. Helping the alliance I'm in is more important than my own success, and that alone will keep me pushing in the game. However, I'm also dangerously close to stopping for a few days to just try to reset myself. I doubt that I could walk away easily, but it still has to be a consideration at times.

So you're gonna go all "Iron Man 40 yellow" on us?