Any 4* players thinking about transitioning to the 5* game with 4* token changes?

2»

Comments

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Something to consider, from someone who held off going to the 5* tier for a few months:  pve is significantly easier/faster now, and if I choose to use my 4* characters instead, I can.
    For pvp I use gambthor almost exclusively, it's true, but I actually see a ton of variety among opponents.  The weekly boosts meant that I used to see the same 2 boosted 4* champs + the essential teams constantly, now it's more of a mix.  And the grockmoradusa saturation in the simulator...easy to beat or not, they are a much higher % of the 4* sim teams than anything I've seen in the 5* tier.
    This right here. The talk of Gambit-infested PvP is somewhat exaggerated.
    I do see some misleading statements about 5* PVP without Gambit, but it’s pretty bad.

I have 6 5* champs now, but no Gambit.  I can beat most teams with my 5’s or boosted 4’s, and I can skip to find non-Gambit teams most of the time, but without Gambit I’m a huge target.  One event I got to 575 for the CP, didn’t bother to shield and got hit back under 250 within a couple hours.  I’d have to shield hop to hit 2000 in Sim, which just isn’t worth it.  Basically it’s much harder than it was 6-12 months ago before Gambit took over.

My Gambit has 10 covers, so I’ll champ him eventually through BH or if they give him a 4* feeder, but who knows when that will happen.  Probably right after he gets nerfed, lol.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Pants1000 said:
    Something to consider, from someone who held off going to the 5* tier for a few months:  pve is significantly easier/faster now, and if I choose to use my 4* characters instead, I can.
    For pvp I use gambthor almost exclusively, it's true, but I actually see a ton of variety among opponents.  The weekly boosts meant that I used to see the same 2 boosted 4* champs + the essential teams constantly, now it's more of a mix.  And the grockmoradusa saturation in the simulator...easy to beat or not, they are a much higher % of the 4* sim teams than anything I've seen in the 5* tier.
    I do see some misleading statements about 5* PVP without Gambit, but it’s pretty bad.

I have 6 5* champs now, but no Gambit.  I can beat most teams with my 5’s or boosted 4’s, and I can skip to find non-Gambit teams most of the time, but without Gambit I’m a huge target.  One event I got to 575 for the CP, didn’t bother to shield and got hit back under 250 within a couple hours.  I’d have to shield hop to hit 2000 in Sim, which just isn’t worth it.  Basically it’s much harder than it was 6-12 months ago before Gambit took over.

My Gambit has 10 covers, so I’ll champ him eventually through BH or if they give him a 4* feeder, but who knows when that will happen.  Probably right after he gets nerfed, lol.
    it really depends on the 5*.  i have gambit, but stopped using him once i got JJ.  paired with 50% thor, i get 1200 every time, with one or two shields.

even with gambit, if i sit out there at 575 unshielded for hours, i get knocked back below 300, and i have 11 5* champs.  

Back to the thread topic:

i agree with those in the other thread, if dilution is back in full force with no solution, you may as well save up to 300 pulls and cover three 5* in the latest, and skip the 4* tier.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes. I had the following to say in another thread:

mega ghost said:
    I've never hoarded before. I tried once, but almost quit the game over it — I realized after a few days that the regular rush of opening tokens / cashing in CP was necessary to keep me engaged. 

I'm waiting to see if they offer a good reason for weakening 4* pulls. If not, I think I'm going to begin hoarding for a push to the 5* tier. If I find it hard to stay interested as I do, though... well, it might finally be time to quit.

EDIT: That is not intended as an idle threat, and it's not me stomping my feet hoping to influence D3. There's just been a long string of bad changes to this game and poorly executed new features, and I feel like I'm on the ropes.

So, we'll see what happens in the coming month.

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the 4* game. So much so that I put off transitioning to the 5 game (which to me sounds awful).
    Depends on how you like to play. A champed Thanos and some self healing buddies makes PvE way, WAY quicker. The bad old days for me would make me take an hour or so to do a final grind then another hour to hit the nodes on the new sub. Now it's about 30 mins each way.

That said, if you're in 5* land and don't have a champed latest and greatest, you're in for a bad time. I've got a level 452 Gambit and 452 Thor and I'm starting to see higher and higher levels of that team as I get left behind.

Also seeing a bunch of champed Okoyes and Jessica Joneses. I caught up to the meta briefly but am getting left behind again. In PvP you use the same two 5*s every single match. The weekly boosted 4*s are all irrelevent.

I do kinda miss 4*s in PvP, but I don't miss the extra hour of free time from PvE
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am looking at putting iso into my second 5*, Thor.  I have had a champed Gambit for quite a while but being mainly a PvE player, my strategy was to just keep working on champing my 4* characters.   I only dabble slightly in PvP. Even before this announcement, I decided that the 4* champing strategy was getting stale so I would max both Thor and DD 5* characters mainly just for making PvE easier and quicker since I rarely play much PvP.  This change to tokens just reinforces my decision to put more into 5* now and then work on 4* when I have the spare iso.  
  • KC_Hammer
    KC_Hammer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    I plan to stay in 4* forever or until i quit. 5* game sounds pretty terrible and boring to play in so I don't think I will ever transition.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pants1000 said:

it really depends on the 5*.  i have gambit, but stopped using him once i got JJ.  paired with 50% thor, i get 1200 every time, with one or two shields.

even with gambit, if i sit out there at 575 unshielded for hours, i get knocked back below 300, and i have 11 5* champs.  

i agree with those in the other thread, if dilution is back in full force with no solution, you may as well save up to 300 pulls and cover three 5* in the latest, and skip the 4* tier.
    I have to disagree with skipping the 4* tier with the start of 4* versus events becoming more regular. Having a decent base of 4's should still help out alot with them being your 3rd wheel soon.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I plan on pulling from classics now and working my 4* characters.  I have 3 clamped 5* but no Thor or Gambit worthy of using so pvp is now 300 per event til I get the season 10 pk then done.  I will continue to not care about acquiring 5* characters.  At some point I will be locked out of scl 6 and 7 in PVE and then I will either quit for good or blow it all up and start over.  I've been running my wife's account at times (she has 7 champed 3 stars, a couple 5*, and a few usable 4*).  It is so much more fun running 8 to 10 different teams in both pvp and PVE and stockpiling iso.  The only drawback is trying to buy roster slots, but I am enjoying it much more than what I have now with all 4* champed but 2 (which the recent change will make harder to champ) but I'm only able to use one or two boosted each week.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm planning on just spending in classics now as well, I'm kind of morbidly curious how my 5*s will end up covering from there.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I have all the classic 4s champed minus Dino and Howard, my Jubilee just needs 1 green cover, and that leaves just Widow and Spidey. I have quite the stable of Lv 266 3-stars, somewhere around 37 or 38. Since I've been wanting to delay my jump until I get these dupes under control, that's kept me pretty occupied. I'm running out of HP and roster slots to keep up anymore, but that's definitely kept me occupied enough, just trying to make sure I can re-farm what 3-star resources I can. Funny thing is I actually have a fully covered Gambit, but the other 3 5-stars that I have Max-covered I feel would make me a target (Surfer, Goblin, BSSM). I've got 3 more guys who are just 1 cover away (DareDevil, Cap, Tony), but the only one of them I feel is actually a good teammate would be DD. I've been hearing about the need to use the same characters over and over again just to stay competitive, and I'm not a fan. 

My main prerequisite for moving up to the 5-star tier was getting ahead of the release schedule, but these new 4-star pack odds just stomp all over that. So nah, sticking to just re-champing 3-star dupes for now. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I tend to agree.  I've seen in my play Gambit slowly declining.  I'm seeing him less and less on my climbs (which is great, I prefer not to use him and ONLY use him when I feel forced into it to fight a Gambit, Bolt, or both).  I never see him on grills nor do I use him for my hops off those grills.  I also almost never use him in PvE (I almost said never but in Hunt slice one I went with Gambit, BB, Lockjaw for the 4E, especially since the enemy team had Ragnorok.  So many charged tiles). 

I use Gambit less and less and that's a good thing.
  • Spudgutter
    tiomono said:
    Pants1000 said:

I have to disagree with skipping the 4* tier with the start of 4* versus events becoming more regular. Having a decent base of 4's should still help out alot with them being your 3rd wheel soon.
    Let's use C&D as an example(can also be applied to any other 4*) since their pvp is running right now.  Pick a number between 1 and 6.  Let's say that is how many covers you have for them.  Even if they switched to 4* only pvp (highly unlikely), that would mean you would see their pvp again in what my back-of-the-napkin math says is at least 6 months, closer to 9 with new releases. 

During that time you pick up maybe 2 or 3 covers from some kind of progression (pvp or pve).  Looking at the simulations people are running and using statistics, if you hoard your LT and CP and splurge when you get to 300+, the odds are very good you will max champ the three 5*.

Meanwhile, you will add 3 to 5 covers to C&D.  Ad this to your starting level, and at best you have a newly champed, level 270 C&D.  But you also have 3 shiny new 5* champs.  

I'm not saying people with decently leveled 4* across the board should ignore them altogether, just shift priority.  
  • Spudgutter
    broll said:
    I tend to agree.  I've seen in my play Gambit slowly declining.  I'm seeing him less and less on my climbs (which is great, I prefer not to use him and ONLY use him when I feel forced into it to fight a Gambit, Bolt, or both).  I never see him on grills nor do I use him for my hops off those grills.  I also almost never use him in PvE (I almost said never but in Hunt slice one I went with Gambit, BB, Lockjaw for the 4E, especially since the enemy team had Ragnorok.  So many charged tiles). 

I use Gambit less and less and that's a good thing.
    Agree as well.  Does he help the top end players put up crazy numbers?  Probably.  But is he necessary?  No

If you have 2 or more champed 5*, you have a decent chance to hit 1200 once you find a slice and a rhythm that suits you.  You will need to shield once or twice, but it is doable.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    tiomono said:
    Pants1000 said:

Let's use C&D as an example(can also be applied to any other 4*) since their pvp is running right now.  Pick a number between 1 and 6.  Let's say that is how many covers you have for them.  Even if they switched to 4* only pvp (highly unlikely), that would mean you would see their pvp again in what my back-of-the-napkin math says is at least 6 months, closer to 9 with new releases. 

During that time you pick up maybe 2 or 3 covers from some kind of progression (pvp or pve).  Looking at the simulations people are running and using statistics, if you hoard your LT and CP and splurge when you get to 300+, the odds are very good you will max champ the three 5*.

Meanwhile, you will add 3 to 5 covers to C&D.  Ad this to your starting level, and at best you have a newly champed, level 270 C&D.  But you also have 3 shiny new 5* champs.  

I'm not saying people with decently leveled 4* across the board should ignore them altogether, just shift priority.  
    I tend to agree with this.  While obviously high level 4*s are great for 4* PvP the fact of the matter is it's now actually much easier to champ a Latest 5* than any particular 4* (which is a problem and they just made it worse...)  I didn't skip the 4* teir to go 5*, but I jumped more than half way champing them all.  Still my average 4* champ level for my champed 4*s is only 290.  That's not likely to change any time soon and be lower for newer players with higher dilution than I had.  By the time my 4*s are high enough to boost over 5* champs the game will likely be a very different place.

At this point I agree with the idea that (intentionally or unintentionally) the game is encouraging earlier adoption of 5* tier if not skipping 4* all together...
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    Pants1000 said:

That makes sense. Personally I hate hoarding though and never will do it.