Boosted 5s?

2»

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    If the OP's concern for the lack of variety at the 5-star tier is to be considered, letting players choose who is boosted is not going to help.

Borstock said:
    If you're boosting characters just to cover up a problem with the 5* meta, you're not solving any problems.
    Do you think there is a problem with the characters? Two or three characters will always be viewed as the 'strongest' and everyone with the means will jump on-board, cluttering the landscape with the consensus opinion. Take them away and two more will claim their place. I think the bigger problem is classic dilution; the hoarders are gonna skip over so-so looking 5-stars (like Chrome Rider) and wait for someone like Gambit to come along, which means  once those Chrome Rider-types get banished to classics, very few will even have them covered.
    It's not a problem with "the characters", it's a problem with ONE character.
    Without him, you could run all sorts of characters, including high level boosted 4s.
    Wuth him, it's Gambit plus whoever.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Without him, you could run all sorts of characters, including high level boosted 4s.
    And before him it was Black bolt, and before him it was Thanos, and before him it was OML... cries for nerfs at the 5-star tier have existed since 5-stars came along. Asking the developers for equality among characters at this point is fruitless - we all know it's not going to happen. Everyone is predicting a Gambit nerf will eventually happen... I question that. He's nowhere near the OML saturation point, and he's like a savings account - if the developers need money all they need to do is put Gambit in one of those special CP vaults and watch the zeros pile up.

The 5-star tier needs an achievable way to attain classics if there is ever to be the diversity we have at the 4-star tier. 5-star champ rewards on 4-stars is not enough, though it has been a step in the right direction.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Bowgentle said:
    And before him it was Black bolt, and before him it was Thanos, and before him it was OML... cries for nerfs at the 5-star tier have existed since 5-stars came along. Asking the developers for equality among characters at this point is fruitless - we all know it's not going to happen. Everyone is predicting a Gambit nerf will eventually happen... I question that. He's nowhere near the OML saturation point, and he's like a savings account - if the developers need money all they need to do is put Gambit in one of those special CP vaults and watch the zeros pile up.

The 5-star tier needs an achievable way to attain classics if there is ever to be the diversity we have at the 4-star tier. 5-star champ rewards on 4-stars is not enough, though it has been a step in the right direction.
    You have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    If you're boosting characters just to cover up a problem with the 5* meta, you're not solving any problems.
    Except it worked at the 4* tier. 
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I think the reason that the boosted 3* and boosted 4* were a resounding success is that the boost essentially moves them up a tier. So a 3* Magneto, when boosted, could compete with the average 4*. A boosted 4* could also then compete with an average 5* (minus match damage)

The problem with the current suggestion is that its' intention is to allow every other 5* the chance to compete with an average Gambit, which would be hilarious if it weren't so true. 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    nerf will eventually happen... I question that. He's nowhere near the OML saturation point, and he's like a savings account - if the developers need money all they need to do is put Gambit in one of those special CP vaults and watch the zeros pile up.

PVP at the 5* tier, he is in over 90% of matches and not running him is asking to lose points.

• Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    ZeroKarma said:
    I think the reason that the boosted 3* and boosted 4* were a resounding success is that the boost essentially moves them up a tier. So a 3* Magneto, when boosted, could compete with the average 4*. A boosted 4* could also then compete with an average 5* (minus match damage)

The problem with the current suggestion is that its' intention is to allow every other 5* the chance to compete with an average Gambit, which would be hilarious if it weren't so true. 
    It seems so ridiculous when you (accurately) put it that way.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    It wouldn't be the 1st time.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    Bowgentle said:
    It wouldn't be the 1st time.
    That reflects poorly on one of you
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    Boosting 5*s in PvP is a terrible idea.  It will widen the gaps between the haves and have-nots, which is already pretty wide for those of us who didn't win the Gambit RNG lottery. 

Unless you have the majority of 5*s champed, there will be weeks where you are utterly powerless to beat half the field.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Boosting 5*s in PvP is a terrible idea.  It will widen the gaps between the haves and have-nots, which is already pretty wide for those of us who didn't win the Gambit RNG lottery. 

Unless you have the majority of 5*s champed, there will be weeks where you are utterly powerless to beat half the field.
    that's why i think you boost 1.  are you more likely to lose vs. a 452 gambit or a 502 Black Widow or Goblin?
    If my Natasha was boosted to 502 I might use her.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor

that's why i think you boost 1.  are you more likely to lose vs. a 452 gambit or a 502 Black Widow or Goblin?
    If my Natasha was boosted to 502 I might use her.

You are more likely to lose to a 452 Gambit. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Except it worked at the 4* tier. 
    There are still plenty of characters in the 4* tier that don't get used even when boosted. And the biggest boon to the 4* tier has been the glut of characters and different ways you can play. If they want to release another forty 5* characters, we'll be fine.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards

Borstock said:
    Do you think there is a problem with the characters? Two or three characters will always be viewed as the 'strongest' and everyone with the means will jump on-board, cluttering the landscape with the consensus opinion. Take them away and two more will claim their place. I think the bigger problem is classic dilution; the hoarders are gonna skip over so-so looking 5-stars (like Chrome Rider) and wait for someone like Gambit to come along, which means  once those Chrome Rider-types get banished to classics, very few will even have them covered.
    I think the 5* tier has a couple of OP passives that probably need to be toned down if the goal is more diverse gameplay. Other than that, no, I don't think it's that big of a deal. But my point wasn't that there's a problem in the 5* tier. My point was that problems should be addressed directly, not indirectly through additional changes.