Boosted 5s?

shartattack
shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
Many 5* players have gotten stuck in the current "Gambit/Thor" meta, and some of the newer 5s like Jessica Jones and Okoye look to be strong characters.  This is good, but power creep has made many of the older 5s irrelevant, other than 1 cover for a 5e.  At least with 4 stars, you can have variety by choosing from the boosted list every week.  Why can't 1 or 2 5* characters be boosted every week?  It would add variety to pve/pvp and would encourage more players to champion older 5s.  The boosts don't have to be the new release 100 level godmode, but would need to be higher than the 14 levels they get now.  Thoughts?  

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet. Once they did it for PvE I assumed it was an inevitable step. 

Why not? It would be fun and let you use characters that sit on your bench. Plus you could check and see if Banner at level 500 can beat a 375 Gambit. 

(No he can't)
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    If you did boosts it would need to be more than 1 or 2.  If it was 1 then it would just be all gambit/boost and 2 boosted would make you uncompetitive unless you had that pair champed (maybe not if one was banner)
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Would be awesome.  I use less than half my 5*s regularly.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeroKarma said:
    I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet. Once they did it for PvE I assumed it was an inevitable step. 

Why not? It would be fun and let you use characters that sit on your bench. Plus you could check and see if Banner at level 500 can beat a 375 Gambit. 

(No he can't)
    I've made a mini-game for myself out of seeing what challenges I can win with Banner. Banner at 450, OML a few levels above that, and a JJ with 1/2/2 and no ISO, managed to beat Webbed Wonder's first 5* node at max difficulty. Banner was the king there. Of course, he cycled between Banner and Hulk like 6 times before I was finally able to out-damage Daken's regen, because Banner is... just not great. Just not great at all.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    ZeroKarma said:

(No he can't)
    I'm fairly certain Banner can't beat a 3-star 166 Gambit.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    I think it’s something that needs to be done really carefully. My Hawkeye was buffed to 120k health in the recent PvE, and his match damage was off the scale. Same with Spiderman the PvE before.

Buffs, yes, I’d like that, but not crazy levels.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doc L said:
    I think it’s something that needs to be done really carefully. My Hawkeye was buffed to 120k health in the recent PvE, and his match damage was off the scale. Same with Spiderman the PvE before.

Buffs, yes, I’d like that, but not crazy levels.

The essential boost is like 100 levels, so it lets you feel what it's like to have level 550 fivestars for an event...

Now imagine what a fivestar that is already level 550 does with the boost...

• Doc L
    Exactly... It has to be done really carefully otherwise it’ll be ridiculous every week. It has to improve the situation rather than make it worse.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    If you're boosting characters just to cover up a problem with the 5* meta, you're not solving any problems.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards

Maybe the way to deal with it would instead of having set 5* boosted (apart from Essentials), be to have a special 5* boost card (like say +100 levels, +50 levels)  that is a consumable like other types of boost and so would have one-off use so you would need to consider when to use. I guess you could either win it as a prize or maybe acquire from vaults or tokens. Maybe also have a ceiling limit so it only applies to non max champ 5’s.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why wouldn't you just use the boost card on your strongest 5*?

• DAZ0273
    Borstock said:
    Why wouldn't you just use the boost card on your strongest 5*?

No reason at all (except if they were maxed out as it would have no boost effect). As it is a one-use item it would be down to the player. Of course depending on how rare the boosts were to obtain you could end up with players having hundreds and so whether that had an unbalancing effect who knows. But it might help against Gambit and other frustrations and also help lower players tackle tough 5E missions with undercovered 5's.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    many 5* players have gambit as their highest 5.  In order to make a random 5 at 450 a better option they’d have to be boosted at least 50 levels.  And even that wouldn’t necessarily be enough.  If your gambit was 470, would you use goblin at 480? 490? 500?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    DAZ0273 said:

Maybe the way to deal with it would instead of having set 5* boosted (apart from Essentials), be to have a special 5* boost card (like say +100 levels, +50 levels)  that is a consumable like other types of boost and so would have one-off use so you would need to consider when to use. I guess you could either win it as a prize or maybe acquire from vaults or tokens. Maybe also have a ceiling limit so it only applies to non max champ 5’s.

So you essentially suggest a Support that applies the weekly boost.  Honestly that's an interesting idea and far better than what supports currently are.  Though to address @borstock 's I would think they would be forcibly taken off all characters on week change and locked out from applying to the same character for the next bit, probably 3-4 weeks, forcing you to do some cycling.  

I think a mechanic like that would be really interesting, but it would also make a dramatically different game and would drastically effect balance.  It would have to be executed really well to work.  So I wouldn't recommend it....
  • Doc L
    many 5* players have gambit as their highest 5.  In order to make a random 5 at 450 a better option they’d have to be boosted at least 50 levels.  And even that wouldn’t necessarily be enough.  If your gambit was 470, would you use goblin at 480? 490? 500?
    But then you couldn’t have a ‘flat’ buff in your model. Like, the Devs can’t go through and tweak each 5* buff to be right for the right character 
  • DAZ0273
    broll said:
    DAZ0273 said:

So you essentially suggest a Support that applies the weekly boost.  Honestly that's an interesting idea and far better than what supports currently are.  Though to address @borstock 's I would think they would be forcibly taken off all characters on week change and locked out from applying to the same character for the next bit, probably 3-4 weeks, forcing you to do some cycling.  

I think a mechanic like that would be really interesting, but it would also make a dramatically different game and would drastically effect balance.  It would have to be executed really well to work.  So I wouldn't recommend it....
    Support/token whatever that can be applied to any 5 (but not to boost them beyond Max) is the idea yeah and yes agreed would need limitations of either cooldown period or consumable. I do agree though that it might be tough to implement.
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before 5*s are added into the weekly boosted rotation, which is why I don't feel bad for champing guys like Archangel and Ghost Rider.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Doc L said:
    But then you couldn’t have a ‘flat’ buff in your model. Like, the Devs can’t go through and tweak each 5* buff to be right for the right character 
    Of course they can’t. I’d assume the buff would work like any other buff.  Just debating the magnitude overall.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    I think 50 levels would be good
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the OP's concern for the lack of variety at the 5-star tier is to be considered, letting players choose who is boosted is not going to help.

Borstock said:
    If you're boosting characters just to cover up a problem with the 5* meta, you're not solving any problems.
    Do you think there is a problem with the characters? Two or three characters will always be viewed as the 'strongest' and everyone with the means will jump on-board, cluttering the landscape with the consensus opinion. Take them away and two more will claim their place. I think the bigger problem is classic dilution; the hoarders are gonna skip over so-so looking 5-stars (like Chrome Rider) and wait for someone like Gambit to come along, which means  once those Chrome Rider-types get banished to classics, very few will even have them covered.