Lich's mastery bugged [Fixed in 3.1 Hotfix]

Options
Barbelith42
Barbelith42 Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
edited December 2018 in MtGPQ Bugs & Technical Issues
Lich's mastery is bugged... fighting sorin on white node of RtO and blew up one of the two he had on board he took the 30 damage, blew up the other he took no damage and now he has permanent prevent damage I've blown  up the support that just stays there 3 times now and it's just impervious. Guess that's s loss or endless battle

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sounds like destroying Lich's Mastery toggles your Prevent Damage state. That sounds abusable, hopefully they fix it soon.
  • sutoLkcalB
    sutoLkcalB Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I experienced it now too - with game version 2.7.1
    Today in the Hour of Devastation event I played against Lich's Masteries two times.

First time against an Ob Nixilis
     - there were three Lich's Mastery out there before I was able to destroy the first one. Ob did lose correctly 30 Lifes.

Second time against a Nicol Bolas
     - two Lich's Mastery were there when I destroyed the first of them. Animation was executed - but no life lost.

@Brigby
    No investigation here?
    To me this is a bug - as the Lich's Mastery says "lose 30 life"; but sometimes (not always - see above) another Lich's Mastery seems to erroneously prevent this loss of life. 
  • bumstuff
    bumstuff Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    In my experience, if there are multiple Lich's Masterys out, only destroying the first one that was played will do the 30 damage.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have update on this! Today I went with my Jaya burn deck against a Lich's Mastery Bolas.

To put this very shortly, here was the state of the board:
    - Creatures - none
    - Supports - a Field of Ruin on my side, ONE Lich's Mastery on my opponent's side

My turn
    - I cast Star of Extinction, destroying all supports on the board. 
    - As the Lich's Mastery was destroyed, it "pinged" my opponent

Expected: 30 damage dealt to my opponent
    Actual: No damage was dealt to my opponent

My suspicion here is that the Lich's Mastery was being destroyed in the middle of Star of Extinction resolving. Perhaps the Star's effect seems to end only after the board comes to a halt state - only then empting the "stack".

I am super curious whether there is a difference between effects that destroy the underlying gem (such as Demolish) and effects that only destroy the support itself (Zacama, Vraska's first etc.). Maybe someone can experiment with this somehow!
  • sutoLkcalB
    Options
    Hm, seems not so easy to re-create. In my cases above I did not have any support destroyer - so in both cases I destroyed the Lich's Mastery by combining gems. I think once it was by a single gem combination and once by a cascade of gem combinations.... can not remember which one for the failing loss of life and which for the successfully loss of life.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From what I've seen and heard, if you cast multiple masteries, only popping one of them will hit for damage.  The rest will not (until the last one)
  • Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have had this happen twice.

When the opponent plays Lich's Mastery and I destroy it, it does not do 30 dmg to the opponent and it seems that the opponent is never damaged from that point again.  Of course, I either quit or am eventually destroyed.  I verified that there was only one in play at the time. 
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This bug hit me three times in a row in TDW now. Destroying the support but it dealt no damage and opponent became invicble.

In the first game I destroyed 8 of them before giving up.
    When it happened again I just quit out at the first sign of Greg not taking damage even without it on the board.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Interesting. I played LM in RtO on the black node, cast one copy of LM by my second turn. On the AI's third turn he cast demolish, blew up LM, and hit me for 30 damage. Perhaps 
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When you cast it and it gets destroyed I always get pinged for 30DMG, even if I have multiple LMs out.

And exiling my LM with Rebuke or Teferis ult for example does not give me permanent prevent damage as it does if I exile Gregs LM.
  • Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The computer should be banned from using this card, it is so annoying!  I have had games last 20 minutes trying to destroy all the LM cards.  I had creatures that were 100+ and I just had to wait to destroy all their supports.  ARgghhh.  
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Today I had the same issue in TDW: destroy LM but no damage to enemy. Won any way, bug if not I would really pissed. 

The card should work properly!
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Keep in mind bounce effects do not trigger the damage. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I had no bounce. Just matched it away the hard way. Took me some rounds. And no damage in the end. 
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018
    Options
    2 IA's Lich's mastery on board, removed the first one that entered the board by matching it and IA received the 30 damage points. Removed the second by matching it and IA did not received any damage. After that creatures began making damage as suposed.

I was playing with 2.9 version.

@Tombstone this is still bugged. 
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hi Everyone, unfortunately I don't have an update on this issue just yet. I can confirm that the team is aware that this is happening and it is being looked into. 
  • sutoLkcalB
    Options
    How about disabling the card until the issue is solved?

I again canceled a match (and did not get the credits) after about 55 minutes of playing against several Lich's Mastery. Of course destroying them via gem combinations did not hurt my opponent at all.
    Lich's mastery is like a "you win the game" card - hence I do not play it myself (booooring). But unfortunately other players have it in their deck. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How about disabling the card until the issue is solved?

I again canceled a match (and did not get the credits) after about 55 minutes of playing against several Lich's Mastery. Of course destroying them via gem combinations did not hurt my opponent at all.
    Lich's mastery is like a "you win the game" card - hence I do not play it myself (booooring). But unfortunately other players have it in their deck. 
    Were you running any support removal?  I usually run 1 or 2 in every deck just in case, since Lich isn't even the most annoying support you can run into that will ruin your day.

I agree the card is pretty strong but it definitely isn't a "you win" card (I lose almost as much as I win with it, and definitely take the damage when it gets popped)
  • sutoLkcalB
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If the goal is to win in round x, I do not add a support removal in my deck ...

Because of the bug I classify this card as "you win the game". I tried it out once and I only had one of it out in the game. My opponent had a deck with powerful creatures, coming in fast and triggering several abilities, which ended in long animation sequences. The deck did accomplish nothing against Lich's Mastery (which was destroyed fast but its effect was not removed). From time to time I checked if the match is still running and if I need to do something - until I got bored and canceled the game.

Would Lich's mastery work correctly, it would actually be fine. 
  • jogamundo
    jogamundo Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I had a Lich's Mastery issue today, similar to above but slightly different.

I managed to destroy the lone Lich's Mastery that was on the board.

The 30 Damage triggered when the mastery is destroyed was done to the AI before the damage prevention effect was removed. So no damage was taken when the support was destroyed.