2.7 Release Notes *Updated (5/23/18)

Options

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Woops. I missed a key card in that description. Updated to show the following: 
    • Creatures are no longer enabled, when Hixus, Prison Warden is Destroyed, while Cast Out is on the gem board in Battle

I'd be interested to hear why this was changed. I liked the struggle of deciding if Hixus or Cast Out was appropriate. Now, there's no dynamic; no choice.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You guys gonna buff some of the older PW's? These new ones are bananacakes.

Jaya is truly gross. Give any spells you draw full mana and then copy them? Wut. Even her first ability is insane.

And Teferi's Sight of the Future . . . gain TWO swaps! Hold me, I'm scared.
  • donvnny45
    donvnny45 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Mburn7 said:

The lady in red.. Will be a pain in the whatever as long as huf, hod and friends are standard legal. Depending on the Dom cards, she could even open the door for first burn strategies. 
    She definitely seems super fun to play with, we don't really have a spells-matter planeswalker to play around with  (Origins Jace doesn't really count since the nerf).  And her ability names are amazing.

I agree though, red Burn Baby Burn decks are going to be downright filthy now.
    Burn it down! I can't wait!  >:)
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jaya balard looks insane and some great work has been made around the magic lore and the game mechanics. If everything works properly it will be a very exciting release.
  • HelloKitty
    HelloKitty Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Fun in the sun! Thanks for changing the free booster timetable. More sleep for us, the obsessed. 

Please fix the Ixalan drop rates. 
  • asm0deus
    asm0deus Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    Now if we can only get enough runes to level up these walkers. Still working on karn.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here we go again. Can we just stop with the nerf cries please. 

Seems like a great update. Can't wait. Events seem intriguing.

One question: no new PvP?
  • khurram
    Options
    Oh and one thing.... So excited that we will be able to see the full artwork of the cards. This is a feature I had always wanted.
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Brigby said:
    Woops. I missed a key card in that description. Updated to show the following: 
    • Creatures are no longer enabled, when Hixus, Prison Warden is Destroyed, while Cast Out is on the gem board in Battle
    @Brigby does this mean that the entire way Hixus is written is being changed -- because Cast Out creatures should absolutely be enabled when Hixus is popped per the card text. 

When Hixus is popped it "does" enable the Cast Out victim, but Cast Out is persistent until destroyed (which hasn't always been the case up to now admittedly) so it would immediately re-disable. I wonder if Combat Celebrant's exert will work the same since Brigby specifically named Hixus. Cast Out is basically Desert's Hold with targetting and an extra shield for almost triple cost.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    Options
    khurram said:

There's... one thing asking for a nerf.

Jaya's ult not degrading. Because it can be abused so badly. I can build a deck right now that would turn it into a card drawing spell engine of death. Edit - In standard format (I'll bet Legacy is even worse).

Vraska's ult is like Cruel Reality on steroids and it degrades. Jaya's ult is like HUF on steroids and as far as we can see, it doesn't degrade. That seems worse.

Edit 2 - In fact, her ult is almost exactly what I suggested they do for Chandra, Bold Pyromancer (If they had added her). And I even suggested that the support degrade!

Brakkis said:
    Loyalty Ability 3 - User her second ability from Chandra, the Firebrand 
    • When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
    • In this case, create a support with x shields and "When you cast a spell, that spell is returned to your hand and it's mana cost is reduced to 0. This support loses 1 shield" and increase the number of shields on the support as you level the ability.
    • Somehow prevent it from looping the first spell. Make it so you can only duplicate each spell cast once per turn. I don't know how to work that part in.
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm saying it now, Jaya's ult isn't that great and anyone calling for a nerf or saying it's broken is wrong. She's better than either of the Chandras but clearly worse than Koth.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Update: It would appear I had used old screenshots for the Planeswalkers, and some of the numbers and details were no longer accurate. I have now updated the screenshots with their current, finalized details. Sorry for the confusion!
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    khurram said:

Jaya's ult not degrading. Because it can be abused so badly. I can build a deck right now that would turn it into a card drawing spell engine of death. Edit - In standard format (I'll bet Legacy is even worse).

Vraska's ult is like Cruel Reality on steroids and it degrades. Jaya's ult is like HUF on steroids and as far as we can see, it doesn't degrade. That seems worse.

Edit 2 - In fact, her ult is almost exactly what I suggested they do for Chandra, Bold Pyromancer (If they had added her). And I even suggested that the support degrade!

Brakkis said:
    Loyalty Ability 3 - User her second ability from Chandra, the Firebrand 
    • When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
    • In this case, create a support with x shields and "When you cast a spell, that spell is returned to your hand and it's mana cost is reduced to 0. This support loses 1 shield" and increase the number of shields on the support as you level the ability.
    • Somehow prevent it from looping the first spell. Make it so you can only duplicate each spell cast once per turn. I don't know how to work that part in.
    First off, it's not like it matters. After apparently a majority of people requested that the AI be dumbed down so hard that it can't use second and third abilities, it's basically like saying cycling was bad for the game. The only people effected are those with win percentages increasing because of how broken it is.

However, if you want to take a stab and degrading it without adding a degrade, maybe add a line of text to the support "When you cast a spell, destroy four red gems at random
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't think Jaya will be as ridiculous as she seems, because the ability it's based on (Chandra, Bold Pyromancer) only gives you a free copy after you cast a spell. Thus, I think the copy won't have mana to start, blocking up your hand and preventing looping. Also, she'll probably be limited to 5 spells at most.
  • khurram
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Brakkis said:
    khurram said:

Doubt it somehow. So I'll take you up on that challenge.

Also people should consider that "creating a copy" should not mean drawing the spell. So again. Stop it with the nerf cries without even knowing exactly how it will work.
  • khurram
    Options
    I just realised that pre-release notes don't say anything about masterpieces.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nerfing PW doesn't matter as Greg never uses the 3rd ability anyways. Teferi is a weaker 1st ability of Bolas and his second ability is on par with being a great one , but grammatically wrong with 1 extra swap(s).

A Greg Jaya is good but not great  without the 3rd ability. Her 1st is very good and 2nd is a first that you can basically choose between 2 paths.

This set is a meta jump for PWs in the hands of a human which is the norm for these types of games for a selling point.

Personally , I'd take Teferi for being a upgrade of Baan for white/blue which is a powerful color combo and create a variety decks to meet objectives where Jaya is Koth with lipstick. I got Karn who I find  very fun to play with even though leveling him is painful with Heroic Encounters.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby what about runes? A big update coming up and no mention of runes/pws leveling after the all community outcry ?

• Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What about the Hixus freeze bug that has to be fixed, half of the fixes seem pointless