Infinity Stones only for 1st place?

2»

Comments

• UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker

SPICE STONE: It tells you what you want, what you really, really want.

FTFY
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards

TIM STONE: That weird kid you knew from second grade
    There are those that call me....Tim.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    T-REZ5000 said:
    Borstock said:
    Because it's a neat thing for those people and hurts the rest of us not at all.
    I’d agree if it wasn’t for the power stone firing powers for free 1 out of every 20 matches ( probably better chance when leveled).  That’s a significant advantage in pve.
    Not really. Not relative to the entire rest of the people playing. And if you're placing in the Top 1, you're probably doing pretty okay on your own. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    T-REZ5000 said:
    Borstock said:
    I’d agree if it wasn’t for the power stone firing powers for free 1 out of every 20 matches ( probably better chance when leveled).  That’s a significant advantage in pve.
    Not really. Not relative to the entire rest of the people playing. And if you're placing in the Top 1, you're probably doing pretty okay on your own. 
    Meaning you probably don't even need it.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    The point is to keep the big spenders big spending.  If the rest of us complain and agonize over the fact that we will never come within an intercontinental ballistic missile launch of obtaining one, the shiny becomes shinier, and thus more attractive to the people who drop wads of cash on the game.

It's not for us.  We're only allowed to look at it through a wall of cash.  Those windows shall forever be translucent, a constant reminder that we are but krill for the almighty whales.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Yeah - I don't get too hung up on the Infinity Stone Support for Top 1 in the Season PVE Brackets.   I'm not in that pay grade, as it were, and if this gets whales to spend more (not sure it will since they are already spending to be #1), then more power to them.  
    In fact, I've stopped caring about Supports in general - they just aren't interesting....yet.
    Perhaps they will be developed further - both in terms of Obtaining them and Utility.  

I do get hung up on the notion that this feature is pulling development resources from Quality of Life improvements.  To me, both efforts (new features AND quality of life) should be staffed, and if the new feature takes longer to roll-out, then so be it.  Sadly, we have a new feature - Supports - that not only seemingly took all the dev resources, but is still not really ready to create joy and excitement from pretty much anyone at this time.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin said:
    The point is to keep the big spenders big spending.  If the rest of us complain and agonize over the fact that we will never come within an intercontinental ballistic missile launch of obtaining one, the shiny becomes shinier, and thus more attractive to the people who drop wads of cash on the game.

It's not for us.  We're only allowed to look at it through a wall of cash.  Those windows shall forever be translucent, a constant reminder that we are but krill for the almighty whales.

Here's the thing, though, and pardon me for using emphasis.  There's no way to buy it!  The only way to get an Infinity Stone is by sinking a huge investment of time into PVP.  Alternatively, you can try to bracket hop, but you need some really good info and you're probably going to skip a significant part of the season.  Then you can sink a huge amount of time into PVP, I suppose.  But there's no way to do this without a huge investment of time - you need incredible scores in PVP.  Sure, you'll probably need a kick-tinykitty roster too (and that is, to an extent, buyable with money,) but you still need to sink a lot of time into climbing and hopping.

I said this on another thread - the supports are for all intents and purposes not buyable with real money.  You can throw a lot of money at the game and hope to get one out of the PVE vault, but it's going to be a 1-3 (or two or three,) and that's just plain not worth it.  It will help your game about as much as... a handful of "Elite" tokens, really.

Right now the relationship between how hard it is to get supports and how much they actually do is incredibly lopsided.  Also, they're virtually impossible to buy (and what you get for "buying" them is pretty pathetic.)  There's plenty to gripe about with the implementation of Supports, but saying they're behind a pay wall is not one of them, IMHO.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    When Legendary Store was introduced, you can't buy anything from the store as well. The only way you can get the LT is to earn it. The chance of getting 5* at that time was 5% and it was increased to 10% after the third or fourth 5* was out. CP was introduced about 2 months later to allow players to buy LT. 

As for the Infinity Stone, they are obviously making it rare for now, following somewhat closely in the movie. The weird thing is most of the people who complained about Reality Stone being earned by the top 1 are also the one who said support is useless. Why get pissed off about something you see as useless anyway

If you compare these two "game-changing" feature, their implementation is pretty similar. It's available to a small number of players in the beginning.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    When Legendary Store was introduced, you can't buy anything from the store as well. The only way you can get the LT is to earn it. The chance of getting 5* at that time was 5% and it was increased to 10% after the third or fourth 5* was out. CP was introduced about 2 months later to allow players to buy LT. 

As for the Infinity Stone, they are obviously making it rare for now, following somewhat closely in the movie. The weird thing is most of the people who complained about Reality Stone being earned by the top 1 are also the one who said support is useless. Why get pissed off about something you see as useless anyway

If you compare these two "game-changing" feature, their implementation is pretty similar. It's available to a small number of players in the beginning.
    It was 10 % for a 5 as soon as the second 5 came out, OML.
    Please stop talking about stuff you have no clue about.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2018
    Out of the 4 points regarding CP, 5* and Legendary Store, I'm sure I only got 1 wrong (the one about 10%). Why get so pissed off?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    GrimSkald said:

Here's the thing, though, and pardon me for using emphasis.  There's no way to buy it!  

If you believe any infinity stones are going to any players who are not fielding 550 5*s, you're fooling yourself.  The paywall is an entry fee, sure, but you don't get those astronomical scores without both money AND time invested.  I suppose that those fees have already been paid, for the most part.  The whales have whaled and this shiny is for them.  So maybe it's more of a thank you gift than a spending enticement.

As for supports in general, buying them is the only way to get supports above rank 3.  The HfH store has 3 peggy covers plus a master token for $20.  That's the only place I've seen one of those, other than the previous HfH store also offering it as part of a bundle.  That's only twice, but that's twice more than any other method of getting them.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2018
    Actually, it's more than twice. Factually speaking, 

1)3* Dr Strange HfH (4600HP) gave Advance Token
    2) R4G HfH (7600?) gave Master Token
    3) SCL 8 bundle gave Advanced Token
    4) Balancing the Universe vault had 1 Master Token, 4 Advanced Token. (All players got 12 tokens if they logged in to the game)
    5) 5* Thanos gave Master Token
    6) 3* Thanos gave Advanced Token
    7) All players who log in on both days got two Advanced Tokens
    8) Current PvP Season for SCL 3 and above give Advance Token for top x players depending on which SCL you're in. Top 1 for SCL 3 and top 25 for SCL 9
    9) Peggy Carter deal gave Master Token

I can see progress. Of course, many players are not satisfied with this kind of progress. Being able to get three Rank 4 to 5 supports at level 200? now is considered progress.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buy clubbers whale their way into the 5* tier the exact same way now as they did then.  By purchasing 40x at 10k a pop and hoarding their LTs.  The only difference now, is that people have adjusted their spending / expectations on what's affordable in their lifestyle.

That bonus LT for a 40x purchase was available on day 1.  The only delay was in people figuring out their personal economics and defining whats "affordable " to them.

In contrast,  out side of the 300 item vault. (which appeared only once, vs you got the lt bonus on every inseason pvp event)  every other master support offer was a 1 time only use purchase.

Perhaps in 2 years,  it will be just as easy to buy out a 300 item vault as a 40 item vault.    but until that day comes 5* star supports will be much rarer than the first sighting of a 5* Silver surfer.

• Jaguar
    Jaguar Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2018
    In my season bracket the rank 1 guy has zero 550s.
    Only 3-4 chars at 500

In fact in all of top 10, only one person has 550s. He/She's at rank 2, a good 800 points behind the rank 1.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jaguar said:
    Only 3-4 chars at 500

In fact in all of top 10, only one person has 550s. He/She's at rank 2, a good 800 points behind the rank 1.
    lol rest assured the 550 will catch up once they start playing sim.

In fact what season scl are you playing in?  I have one 550 in my scl7 bracket,  1 500 player,, the remaining 8 are all 460+rosters.

in scl7.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    Jaguar said:
    Only 3-4 chars at 500

In fact what season scl are you playing in?  I have one 550 in my scl7 bracket,  1 500 player,, the remaining 8 are all 460+rosters.

in scl7.

What the heck, I'll gather data for this too.  I'm in SCL7, entered a week ago Sunday.  I'll post the top 3 characters of the top 5 in my Season Bracket.  I'll post the score as well - for contrast I've scored 5923 so far this season.  No names, of course.

#1 - 11727 - 464 458 457

#2 - 11626 - 463 460 458

#3 - 11408 - 471 469 469

#4 - 11397 - 457 457 456

#5 - 11043 - 488 476 471

I mean, sure, I'm in SCL7, but all of these people have put in nearly twice my score.  Having 550s is a big advantage, don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can climb a lot higher without getting hit, but the key ingredient here is time.

At this point, I'm curious, I'll check back in a week and see if these people change.  There is a 510 Bolt at #7, but otherwise not a single character over 500 in the top 10.  If there are 550s in my bracket, they're going to have some catching up to do...

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:
    Phumade said:
    Jaguar said:
    Only 3-4 chars at 500

in scl7.

What the heck, I'll gather data for this too.  I'm in SCL7, entered a week ago Sunday.  I'll post the top 3 characters of the top 5 in my Season Bracket.  I'll post the score as well - for contrast I've scored 5923 so far this season.  No names, of course.

#1 - 11727 - 464 458 457

#2 - 11626 - 463 460 458

#3 - 11408 - 471 469 469

#4 - 11397 - 457 457 456

#5 - 11043 - 488 476 471

I mean, sure, I'm in SCL7, but all of these people have put in nearly twice my score.  Having 550s is a big advantage, don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can climb a lot higher without getting hit, but the key ingredient here is time.

At this point, I'm curious, I'll check back in a week and see if these people change.  There is a 510 Bolt at #7, but otherwise not a single character over 500 in the top 10.  If there are 550s in my bracket, they're going to have some catching up to do...

Ooooo.  Looks like a great end of the season recap. Thanks for the idea. 
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2018
    Borstock said:
    T-REZ5000 said:
    Borstock said:
    Yeah, because the race in PVE SCL9 top 5 isn’t close at all.  LOL.